• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
He's kidding, it's Jersey Shore for Sydney idiots

It's nothing like Jersey Shore, it's more like The Hills.

It's still shit though, I can't believe the ratings actually went up. Hopefully the extra ratings are just from people who didn't believe the other people who were saying how bad it is and their morbid curiosity got the better of them.

Yeah its The Hills with the producers choosing the biggest fuckwits possible to almost parody reality TV and the idea of it all. Not done well enough to be worthwhile though, just turns out like Rebecca Black.

Fusebox

Banned
An apt comparison. It really is the Rebecca Black of TV.

edit: just saw this:

The Shire's second instalment produced a notional increase in ratings, however after time adjustment removed the contribution by the third last episode of MasterChef, the dramality show actually lost a fraction under 200,000 viewers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ops-viewers-20120724-22lx4.html#ixzz21Vy1vGZq

So channel 10 lets Masterchef run 10 minutes overtime then tries to count everyone watching it as viewers of The Shire. Lol dodgey fuckers.

I've seen those ones though it's been a while for all but Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service. My brain is telling me Laputa was my favourite from that list.

Totoro is still the one to beat IMO. Saw that for the first time this year.

Same here, weirdly enough. Great movie. Though nothing has topped Mononoke in my book.

Raxum

As a little side-note to the Ghibli talk here, has anyone here seen Summer Wars? If not I highly recommend it. Back on topic, I really enjoyed Ponyo and Princess Mononoke, but my viewing of the Ghibli movies is far from complete. I really should get around to watching the rest of them. I almost felt compelled to add that Nausicaa is another of my favourites, but I seem to remember that being pre-Ghibli.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just came back from The Dark Knight Rises. The ending was really SATISFYING, but the more I ponder about it; the more problems I have with it.:/ unlike Inception though, I genuinely enjoyed it despite it's writing issues, because at the very least I CARED about the characters.

Bane was surprisingly a pretty awesome villain too.

As a little side-note to the Ghibli talk here, has anyone here seen Summer Wars? If not I highly recommend it. Back on topic, I really enjoyed Ponyo and Princess Mononoke, but my viewing of the Ghibli movies is far from complete. I really should get around to watching the rest of them. I almost felt compelled to add that Nausicaa is another of my favourites, but I seem to remember that being pre-Ghibli.
Summer wars has good characterization, but the script is full of eye-rolling and silly shit. Can't wait for hosoda's next film though!

Also yeah, nausicaa is pre-ghibli along with castle of cagliostro

wonzo

Banned
Summer Wars is an inferiors version of (the exact same director!) Mamoru Hosoda's Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! You should check out The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and keep an eye out for The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki when it starts airing in cinemas.

Yagharek

Good for the time. Dreamcast exclusives at the time. The Sonic/Speed sections were great.

and nostalgia

I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the first one, but that was in hindsight despite its glaring flaws. Maybe I had more tolerance back then for obnoxious clipping through stage geometry and QTEs killing you without even asking for input.

The 2D Sonics are still playable today. SA1/2 aren't anything close to that.

I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the first one, but that was in hindsight despite its glaring flaws. Maybe I had more tolerance back then for obnoxious clipping through stage geometry and QTEs killing you without even asking for input.

The 2D Sonics are still playable today. SA1/2 aren't anything close to that.

Agreed. I don't think SA1 or 2 had QTEs though, but it just might be my memory. I know they had them in games after that though.

Raxum

Summer Wars is an inferiors version of (the exact same director!) Mamoru Hosoda's Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! You should check out The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and keep an eye out for The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki when it starts airing in cinemas.

I've actually got the Girl Who Leapt Through Time on DVD, but I only got told of Summer Wars recently by a friend, and I found it quite interesting. The characters are pretty good, and I would say they play out the variations found in a large family group rather well. Also enjoyed the idea behind the movie. Will have to check out that Digimon movie as well as I haven't seen it.

Yagharek

Agreed. I don't think SA1 or 2 had QTEs though, but it just might be my memory. I know they had them in games after that though.

Hmm, maybe not QTEs then, what I'm referring to are the on rails bumper sections where you jump on a pinball bumper and then wait and see if you die or not through no fault of your own. Or the jump + homing attack vs flying enemies that would often send sonic off to a bottomless pit too for whatever reason.

The game never felt fair.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just came back from The Dark Knight Rises. The ending was really SATISFYING, but the more I ponder about it; the more problems I have with it.:/ unlike Inception though, I genuinely enjoyed it despite it's writing issues, because at the very least I CARED about the characters.

I'm the reverse. I have a lot of problems with the film, but the more I think about it the more satisfied with it I am, especially as a conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy and the way it handled Bruce's character arc.

Prometheus, on the other hand, was a slow burn disliking. The issues I had upon leaving the cinema only worsened over time.

Yagharek

Still havent seen TDKR, but Prometheus I'm more convinced about as being a decent backstory. Certainly not on par with the original film, but it makes more sense now.

I have a strong dislike for the overt symbolism in the film, but the explanation about the origin of the goo and what it does makes more sense to me now than it did in the cinema.

All other issues aside with the narrative, it is one of the most visually spectacular films I've ever seen.

Jader7777

Banned
q and a please

panel_5_m1986683.jpg

"Is the Sonic franchise dead? We let the people who watch ABC decide!"

Finished Quantum Conundrum this afternoon.
Well worth playing if you have a Portal itch to scratch.

mini review-

Pro- Puzzles are great and gameplay
- good value even if you pay full price ($15) took me around 7-8 hours (YMMV)
- some puzzles can be beaten in multiple ways even if they don't seemed to be designed that way

Cons- looks a little low rent
- hard to find help when you get stuck. the only FAQ's I could find were Youtube vids
- story is slight and doesn't really go anywhere
- Voice-over doesn't enhance the game at all (doesn't detract, though)
- sense of humour is droll rather than witty.
- Just seems to finish suddenly

overall worth playing.

mini review-

- some puzzles can be beaten in multiple ways even if they don't seemed to be designed that way

- hard to find help when you get stuck. the only FAQ's I could find were Youtube vids

worth playing.

This is a pro?

mini review-

worth playing.
Probably related to the Season Pass DLC.

Seems like it would be worth grabbing if you loved the puzzles in the first Portal. I will admit to preferring the more story focused Portal 2 rather than the puzzles themselves. Game Informer gave it 8.75 and GOTM I am pretty sure.

First off: THANKS FOR THE PRESENT AUSGAF! You guys are awesome! Here I am about to enjoy the bounty within!

20120724_1805229tc2e.jpg

Only kidding :)

20120724_180838ehip1.jpg

Smells amazing and expensive. Nice and smooth considering how alcoholic it is! Instantly feels like a nice warm blanket, perfect with the weather we are having.

20120724_180945hbfvh.jpg

Here's cheers to AusGAF! With added wedding band show off :)
First hints on drinking straight: hot rather than an alcoholic burn, full of flavour that envelops your mouth while being on the edge of overwhelming. Made me reallllllly wanted to grab a Christmas pudding to scoff down! Went a second glass with a touch of filtered water (our tap water is so cloudy you can't see through it sometimes so we boil it and keep it in the fridge, not too much of a hassle as we had to do it anyway for bottle feeding in the past!) and it became nice and almost sweet down the throat. Takes to changing water levels really well and was fun to add a few more drops.

I will keep the rest for when I have company to spread the love of scotch with. Really is one of those drops that someone only needs a mouthful of to become instantly hooked. The wife's birthday is only a fortnight away so hopefully we can make a nice wintery cake and I can share a glass with the father-in-law as he has recently cut back his alcohol due to diabetes.

Second of all: bought Yakuza Dark Souls this morning. Got home late this afternoon to open it up to see....

20120724_2037374sqvh.jpg

FUCKING NOTHING! Was tapped on both sides. The register chick came across as completely uninterested in being there and did not say a word to us. She gave it a quick look, said the game was inside, shoved it in the bag and took my money before turning back to some paper work behind her. Shot JB a quick email and a tweet so hopefully the will mail out the goods sooner rather than later. If they tell me I have to drive all the way to Geelong to pick them up I will be really fucking pissed off.

Third: I got married and shit. Still haven't seen any photos, here is one that my Mum got on her shitty phone. Once I have one that doesn't make me look too bald I'll show it off.

josh126wwpiz.jpg

Little guy danced up a storm all night, was exhausted but was on perfect behaviour, even up to 11:30pm at night! Really proud of him, made us look like awesome parents.

EDIT: Also The Last Remant is $3 on GMG! Steam key!

Also suck it Bulldogs supporters! We beat the Demons!

Almost had a fit when I saw that first photo. Troll successful.

Glad you like it. It's definitely one of my favourite scotches ever. Really different from a lot out there, too. I bet it'd win over a lot of people who say they don't like scotch.

Also now I want another bottle of it.

Jader7777

Banned
Well after their 'is vagina a curse word?' discussion last night I'm pretty sure anything goes now.

...Well, was it? Vagina or the other words for it? Because if vagina is a curse word then penis, bum, boobies and probably other things need to be censored. I bet the twitter spam they slop on their show in real time were making lots of faux-swears.

Danoss

Almost had a fit when I saw that first photo. Troll successful.

Glad you like it. It's definitely one of my favourite scotches ever. Really different from a lot out there, too. I bet it'd win over a lot of people who say they don't like scotch.

Me too man. Had me fooled until I scrolled down.

It is a great scotch that I find takes the water well. I put away the straw to add water by the drop and get out the teaspoon.

I believe the story of this scotch is someone at Aberlour had some old stuff in a bottle that tasted nothing like what was currently being produced. They set out to try and recreate the incredible taste that they enjoyed. No idea if it's true or how close they got to it, but it's one hell of a drop. I think I might have seen that on one of Ralfy's videos a while ago.

Anyway, whilst I wasn't able to contribute, I'm glad you're enjoying it and it would have been my choice also. I was glad when it was suggested a while ago. If I remember when I'm in a position to do so, I'll try and get a Glencairn glass your way, reptile.

Those glasses look great. Might have to check them out at a later date.

Already have one of these for rum so maybe it could double as a scotch glass.
glass_ron1.jpg

Danoss

That'd work fine for it, cods. It looks very similar to me, besides being a bit stubbier and minus the short stem on the base. It would at least serve the same purpose.

The Glencairn glass is tapered to funnel the aroma for better nosing and also so you can get a nice whiff when you're sipping. If I read correctly somewhere, the measurement is 1.5 oz (the standard serving size so I read) when filled to the centre of the bulb shape.

Clipper

Reminder to SydGAF... Board games, including Game of Thrones Second Edition, are scheduled for Saturday the 28th. Confirmed attendees at the moment are Choc, Clipper, Danoss, Doncamatic, Jintor, Rahk. Please either try to arrive between 10-10:30am or read up on the rules beforehand here or here.

Also Danoss! Now that you are back might I inquire about possibly resuming Ausgaf DnD?
It likely won't be DND as Danoss has expressed his dislike of that system, but hopefully we'll figure out something to work via Roll20 soon. Probably during the battle for Westeros...

Danoss

Also Danoss! Now that you are back might I inquire about possibly resuming Ausgaf DnD?

I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it, I've been tossing a seemingly endless number of ideas around in my head. I want to have the right system and scenario, one that lends itself well to online play, so everyone who participates enjoys themselves as well as me being able to deliver something like that on my first go as GM. I've almost psyched myself out with the pressure I've applied to myself here.

As Clipper has mentioned, it won't be D&D itself. I'm not a fan of playing it in person, let alone participating in it online.

The game and scenario I originally had in mind might not work as well as I initially imagined, so I'm exploring other options to see what might be best. I'm a slow reader sadly, since I can't stop my mind wandering when I sit down to read.

I certainly haven't forgotten about it, I just want it to be an enjoyable evening for all involved so there's a chance of it happening again.

Reminder to SydGAF... Board games, including Game of Thrones Second Edition, are scheduled for Saturday the 28th. Confirmed attendees at the moment are Choc, Clipper, Danoss, Doncamatic, Jintor, Rahk. Please either try to arrive between 10-10:30am or read up on the rules beforehand here or here.

You're a hard taskmaster, Clipper. The decision between waking up early enough on a Saturday to be there to have the rules explained, or reading through 28 pages of them whilst trying to comprehend them completely is difficult enough in itself.

Omikron

Oh god Uni is back, Oh God 9am starts. Oh god....bless coffee and its magic powers.
Old man post incoming.....

I remember a semester where we had an 8 or 8.30 lecture. No idea why they thought that was a good idea. Especially when four out of 5 days I had pracs from 2-5pm. Long arse days.

Clipper

You're a hard taskmaster, Clipper. The decision between waking up early enough on a Saturday to be there to have the rules explained, or reading through 28 pages of them whilst trying to comprehend them completely is difficult enough in itself.
Yeah, sorry to enforce that, but we want to try to get through a full game before Jintor has to leave to go to his birthday celebrations...

midonnay

Old man post incoming.....

I remember a semester where we had an 8 or 8.30 lecture. No idea why they thought that was a good idea. Especially when four out of 5 days I had pracs from 2-5pm. Long arse days.

any maths type subject at my uni was at 8am.....

4 days a week :O

who ever thought it was a good idea to do maths when you're half asleep.

ps: saw DKR again the other night on IMAX...... even better on the second viewing. Alot of the quibbles I had with the storyline made more sense. Anne Hathaway was perfect as Catwoman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom