• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of Cliff Blezsinsky discussing emergent gameplay. Especially with others like Will Wright and David Jones on the page.

Yep, I saw that Title for his video and my face was all

:/

Hilarity. Would be interested in his thoughts behind establishing mythos though, as that is one aspect of his games that I have always liked even in they are NEVER used well enough.

As an end of page special, here's something our resident board gamers might find interesting.

A documentary on the manufacturing process of board games.
Quoting since we are 50ppp bros

Dead Man

As an end of page special, here's something our resident board gamers might find interesting.

A documentary on the manufacturing process of board games.

Yep, I saw that Title for his video and my face was all

:/

Hilarity. Would be interested in his thoughts behind establishing mythos though, as that is one aspect of his games that I have always liked even in they are NEVER used well enough.

Quoting since we are 50ppp bros

50ppp? I don't even know you any more.

Dead Man

50pppgaf is how gaf was intended to be :p Also I don't even know how to change it.

50ppp is the only way to roll [/fred durst]

I feel like an outsider in my own country, no wonder I want to move *sob*

I think Choc might even muster enough fury to break through his ban

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...h-and-his-family/story-e6freoof-1226434267830

I never read the Courier Mail, but if they keep having pics like this one I might hve to:
Premier Campbell Newman calls Queensland 'Spain of Australian States' and claims State is on verge of bankrutpcy
753536-newman-runs-with-bulls.jpg

Rezbit

I actually have no idea what his end-goal is. Okay, so let's save money by...getting rid of everything and creating shitloads of job losses?

Seems to be the Amiga version.
pirates-004.png

(Link removed as it seemed to go to a bad website)

Edit: Oh hey that's the same screenshot. Actually other shots I found of the Amiga one looked even fancier. Now I'm confused.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How many they up to?

And, can they have too many?

Edit, damn I love my new avatar.

There is still 18 left to be included in dota 2, that brings it up to the same heroes as dota. Then I guess they will add new ones, prob the same ones that get added to dota when that gets updated. Since icefrog, develops on both games.

Rahk

How many they up to?

And, can they have too many?
About 90.

I guess it's a question of whether they can balance so many, and it seems they've done a pretty good job at that so far. The rate of new heroes will slow down once they get in all the Dota 1 heroes though.

r1chard

Is there anyone in Melbourne who is NOT infected with some rhinovirus / influenza variation at the moment? Ugh.

Also, fuck OCZ. I went out on a limb with them and bought their SSD even after the negative press about their firmware which they said has been fixed (yes, I made absolutely sure I was on the latest revision.) Completely unstable. Swapped out the SSD for a regular ol' HDD in my new PC build and surprise! all the instability just went away. FFS. And of course I bought it through MSY so RMA could be a challenge. We'll see... Gotta say though that the speed boost from having the SSD under Windows was nowhere near the level of boost I see on Macs... odd...

Stackboy

POP QUIZ: Where can I go to buy a new battery for my phone. It has been dying for a while but today it is basically shitting out charge quicker than I can charge it up. Optus don't have any for the Galaxy S2 and the new expanded batteries don't release for another fortnight or so.
HELP ME AUSGAF

My Galaxy S1 (I know, idiot) battery died last week and I went on ebay and picked up a new one. $5, no worries.

r1chard

Well, I need a new phone. Fuck shitty HTC and windows. Any suggestions? Likely just going to grab a cheap android outright.
Really cheap (around $150) Android handsets have been getting a lot better lately. But they're still a bit crap. You get what you pay for, as always. Small screen, old Android OS, but still usable.

Spend the extra and get the Galaxy Nexus. It's a bloody good phone, and gets the Jelly Beans before anyone else :)

Edit: my GN from Kogan came with a bizarro Samsung build of Android on it that I had to replace with the official Google build before I could get the JB update. Was trivial to do, but a slight annoyance.

r1chard

I've zero interest in modding the things. Might see what experias go for.
Is that in reference to my post? Because if it is then I'm exactly the same - I've tried different ROMs in my previous phone (Nexus S) and found it to be a pain, so I've since stuck with pure Google releases of Android. That's why I got the GN - but again for some bizarro and unexplained reason Samsung decided to load their own build of Android on some GNs and hence I had to manually load the Google build on it. Again, it was trivial and once done I now automatically get the Google build updates. No stuffing about with ROMs to get newer builds when the manufacturer/carrier/wheoever is tardy.

Is there anyone in Melbourne who is NOT infected with some rhinovirus / influenza variation at the moment? Ugh.

Also, fuck OCZ. I went out on a limb with them and bought their SSD even after the negative press about their firmware which they said has been fixed (yes, I made absolutely sure I was on the latest revision.) Completely unstable. Swapped out the SSD for a regular ol' HDD in my new PC build and surprise! all the instability just went away. FFS. And of course I bought it through MSY so RMA could be a challenge. We'll see... Gotta say though that the speed boost from having the SSD under Windows was nowhere near the level of boost I see on Macs... odd...
Grab a Crucial for stability. Sandisk has a super fast, super cheap SSD, the Extreme that seems to have great reviews for stability, Shaneus rocks one and it will be my next upgrade after a new GPU.
Always heard bad things about OCZ so I stayed as far away as possible.

Also boot time might depend on how many startup process jank is on there.

legend166

Other than the fact that I was stupid and didn't upgrade the firmware on my Crucial, causing it to randomly stop working after a year (something which was easily fixed by upgrading the firmware), it's been fantastic.

I don't think I could go back to a non-SSD computer now.

Well, actually, I technically am because I use one at work. And it's soooooooo sloooooooow.

r1chard

Grab a Crucial for stability. Sandisk has a super fast, super cheap SSD, the Extreme that seems to have great reviews for stability, Shaneus rocks one and it will be my next upgrade after a new GPU.

Also boot time might depend on how many startup process jank is on there.
Thanks for the Crucial tips. I actually tried to buy a Samsung but they were out of stock. I will see how the HDD goes for a while. It's a brand-new install with absolutely no Windows Updates so the speed may slow down as I use it some more. I need to see whether MSY will let me swap the OCZ crap for something else too...

Kids today.

commodore_c64_tape-recorder-1530-c2.jpg

I fondly (ok, maybe not) remember the hours (ok, minutes, but definitely many and approaching hours) of tweaking the damned tape head alignment screw trying to get games loading with that damned thing :)

Also, everyone should be playing Kerbal Space Program - it's got EVAs now which are awesome (though my very first attempt ended up with my poor Kerbanaut left drifting in orbit after losing track of where his capsule was... I think I'm going to restrict EVAs to the moon surfaces in the future...)

My Galaxy S1 (I know, idiot) battery died last week and I went on ebay and picked up a new one. $5, no worries.
The genuine ones cost a little more, like $20-25 to be safe. Can pre-order an expanded official one for $42 maybe.

Probably end up looking locally for anything around $20.

What's with all the shitty Galaxy batteries?
My fault really, recharging only takes like 3 hours at most and I would have it on the charger basically every night for 12 hours which will take its toll eventually. Plus I run it into the ground pretty hard with full brightness and tons of twitter/internet/gaming usage.

I'm switching to an iPhone and a Telstra contract in January.
My main concern would be that you CAN'T swap the battery out, my bro-in-law was without a phone for a week while they put a new one in for him, at his expense for some odd reason. Water damage seems like the easy excuse to charge the consumer for repairs even when the thing is cased up like fort knox.

Well, I need a new phone. Fuck shitty HTC and windows. Any suggestions? Likely just going to grab a cheap android outright.
Galaxy S2 has been $400 and less a few times. Harvey Norman had them not that long ago. EDIT: here it was

I don't think I could go back to a non-SSD computer now.

Well, actually, I technically am because I use one at work. And it's soooooooo sloooooooow.
Same here, it's like smashing my brain though a chicken wire fence to get any fucking information up on the screen at times. Doesn't help that the PC is super low tech, interesting to see what happens when they finally get it on Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom