• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

I can hear cat(s) crying outside my house. Poor thing, sounds so... human :(

I heard screeches and then moaning. I think there are a couple out there. It's happened a few times during the last couple of days, but I've never been able to actually find them...

sadbear1.jpg
Happy birthday :D

Clipper

SydGAF, don't forget it's Game of Thrones day. Unfortunately, Doncamatic has had to pull out this morning due to an unforeseeable event, so it seems that House Martell has relinquished all claim to the Iron Throne, but Houses Stark, Barratheon, Lannister, Greyjoy and Tyrell will surely battle even stronger with the reduced competition.

Of course, if anybody new wants to give board gaming a chance and has the day free, come take the empty seat (PM for details). I doubt there will be any complaints from us!

Danoss

It is goddamn freezing. I'll be leaving the house in 3 layers of clothing and I don't think it'll be enough. If I die in transit because I've turned into an icicle, I'll haunt Clipper forever.

It is also goddamn early (for me), and I'm tired as hell. The avatar you see to your left, minus the pixelation, is an accurate representation of what I look like right now. Add a cup of tea to one of its hands and you've got a dead ringer.

Edit: I hope you've got a kettle, Clipper. I'm bringing more tea (as well as the iced tea I've made) to help me survive the day. Don't worry, just like school, I've brought enough for everyone so I can totally share if others want some too.

Danoss

Guess whose bus decided to run super early and now they're going to be late because of it? I fucking hate the public transport in my area. The buses rarely sync up with the trains, so when I get to Parramatta, I'll probably have to wait another 15-20 minutes for a train into the city.

If I have a perfect run, I'll be there about 10:30, but since that's as likely as my iced tea staying cold after the 90+ minute trip there, I'd say shortly after 10:45 is more likely.

The next bus leaves here, apparently the 7th circle of hell, at 9:06am. I should probably be at the bus stop now, it has probably already arrived since it's 8:50. Can't be tardy now, can they?

Games tm used to be a good read. Now its all partisan bias like eurogamer.
I actually really enjoyed this issue, a fuckload of content and goes into a deep review of 1991 (AKA the most entertaining year ever with Sony getting into the market and CDi) and just a wealth of information about stuff I rarely see discussed around the traps. Considering it was the same price as the light HYPER I am very happy with the purchase, even though it is the May issue.

Goose's rating policy strikes again!
I agree with him though! I can see he hit upon the same line of thinking I did but tried to avoid letting too much out in the review. The game really comes together as a whole once the credits start rolling.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
Steam ID? dinopoke
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? The best DRM is no DRM!
Aside from Steam DRM though right?

Jalapeño man? Um, I eat them at subway?
BACON MAN? That's a tautological statement.
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? Scotch
You will do well here!

I actually laughed at this, nice choice to replace it with. Didn't really like the new one as much though, and I can't really explain why.
:/ Really? DE3 was like the logical extrapolation of the original game aside from one or two things that were dropped. Along with The Witcher 2 it would have been my GOTY last year.

I haven't played Human Revolution yet but I'm not really looking forward to it. It seems to miss the point of the original.
Nah it is spot on, I expect you will enjoy it.

Boss fights made me quit the game >_< got up to some stupid invisible chick... booo. Screw that shit.
Here is a handy little rundown of the boss fights. If you have the Augmented Edition grenade launcher or mines or whatever it was you got with the game the fights are a breeze. It was fucking stupid to outsource those parts of the game but at least they were done lazily enough that there are TONS of exploits to kill the bosses with little effort. Check on Youtube for a no-brainer way to kill the final boss. Pretty sure I just stood in a corner and kept shooting with a sniper rifle or something.
Basically as long as you keep some mines/grenades and a rifle with you it will be easy enough.

JsuwC.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I haven't played Human Revolution yet but I'm not really looking forward to it. It seems to miss the point of the original.
It's no-where near as good as the original, but it definitely captures the spirit of the series, and it's a pretty good game on it's own merits.

If I were to rate them - Deus ex = 10/10, Deus Ex IW = 4/10, Deus Ex Human Revolution = 8/10.

I think the biggest problem with HR is the level design gets way more linear and restricted after
heng-cha
which is by far the best level in the game.

I think the biggest problem with HR is the level design gets way more linear and restricted after
heng-cha

Yeah that was the point where I realised they didn't have as much time as they needed to do a fully fleshed out world to that extent. What they created was still wayyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than a lot of other games we get. I think my first playthrough was 20+ hours, which is pretty good for a studios first effort over only 2 years.

Dead Man

I'm not just getting old, music is getting worse. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484310

It's no-where near as good as the original, but it definitely captures the spirit of the series, and it's a pretty good game on it's own merits.

If I were to rate them - Deus ex = 10/10, Deus Ex IW = 4/10, Deus Ex Human Revolution = 8/10.

heng-cha

I would agree with that completely. If the levels had been more connected that would have been better too. But still one of the best games of the last couple years, for sure.

Clipper

Another SydGAF Board Games day seemed to be enjoyed by all.

Danoss, Rahk and Jintor all arrived around the same time and after explaining the rules and confirming that Choc was a no show (sigh) we ventured into the lands of Westeros. Unfortunately, House Stark (me) forget to warn House Lannister (Jintor) and House Greyjoy (Rahk) to stop House Baratheon (Danoss) from getting the easy win in the Southern area of the map... We all still seemed to enjoy it and are keen to play again now that we know the mechanics.

We then had a game of Discworld Ankh-Morpork, which everyone enjoyed greatly once more. Danoss very nearly won as Chrysoprase (he had exactly 50 coins, his winning condition, and only I could stop him), but I managed to play a combination of cards that emptied the deck and also gave me the ability to deny everybody else quite a few points with some very luckily placed (for me) Demons from the Dungeon Dimensions. While also playing about 5 minions in that turn, I scooted to an easy lead on points due to the luck of the cards.

We're not sure when the next game day will be, but we do want to get to a two week schedule, maybe. My parents are in town next fortnight, so I doubt I'll be able to host, but perhaps the rest of you can find a different venue for that week or something. I guess we'll see when everyone is available and so on.

Thanks again to everyone for coming!

Ignignort

Had some banana fritters today and just had a thought. Has anyone in AusGAF tried these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar and are they any good?!

A shop not far away from me started selling these randomly, of course I had to try one.

It was okay, you have to eat it straight away or the chocolate will start to set and it just tastes like you've dipped a regular Mars bar in oil.
If you're feeling particularly gross one night, you can't go wrong.

r1chard

Getting ready for some beer, pizza and board games (or possibly Pathfinder, not sure).

Watched Mars Attacks last night because it's boss.

Danoss

Another SydGAF Board Games day seemed to be enjoyed by all.

Danoss, Rahk and Jintor all arrived around the same time and after explaining the rules and confirming that Choc was a no show (sigh) we ventured into the lands of Westeros. Unfortunately, House Stark (me) forget to warn House Lannister (Jintor) and House Greyjoy (Rahk) to stop House Baratheon (Danoss) from getting the easy win in the Southern area of the map... We all still seemed to enjoy it and are keen to play again now that we know the mechanics.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cheap victory. I will pretend I was invading Choc's territory and crushing him for not turning up. Again.

We then had a game of Discworld Ankh-Morpork, which everyone enjoyed greatly once more. Danoss very nearly won as Chrysoprase (he had exactly 50 coins, his winning condition, and only I could stop him), but I managed to play a combination of cards that emptied the deck and also gave me the ability to deny everybody else quite a few points with some very luckily placed (for me) Demons from the Dungeon Dimensions. While also playing about 5 minions in that turn, I scooted to an easy lead on points due to the luck of the cards.

Which will now be known as "The Tale of Clipper and the Million-Card Combo". Damn you for taking the wind out of my sails the turn before I won! It would've been a legitimate no-cheese victory too.

We're not sure when the next game day will be, but we do want to get to a two week schedule, maybe. My parents are in town next fortnight, so I doubt I'll be able to host, but perhaps the rest of you can find a different venue for that week or something. I guess we'll see when everyone is available and so on.

Thanks again to everyone for coming!

My Gran might be going to stay with my Mum for a while, leaving the house to me. HOUSE PARTY! But seriously, it might be possible to have a games day at my place while she's away, depending on how long she stays for. It could be between a 1-2 week period, let me know what works for you guys, I'll share more details as it comes to hand.

I'm now exhausted after being out all day functioning on very little sleep. Almost conked out on the train, I'll probably fall asleep in front of the tele in a short while.

Hey laf, what's your avatar???
Had one a while back. Was pretty tasty. Though you know if something is made of sugar, and then deep fried you really shouldn't be eating it.
Pfft, if it's a one off thing who cares. If you eat healthily I see no reason why you can't enjoy some grease and sugar every once in s while. Plus I'm still at the age where I don't put on weight no matter what I eat, so woopwoopwoopwooop.
Deep fried Mars bar doesn't actually sound that delicious though. Id rather try deep fried ice cream.
So about four years ago ?
Where's that burnsauce gif?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom