• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Legend, just go with the flow. Don't listen to me as I have spent many years depressed and making poor decisions for lady parts.

Whatever happens, happens.

Anyone from AusGAF planning on getting Borderlands 2 on PC when it comes out? Pretty much all my friends play consoles and I'd love to play some co-op.

Apparently there are a fair few people jumping in on it, myself included as of this afternoon. Shouldn't be too hard to find some co-op shenanigans come release.

Edit: I am late.

Yagharek

"urgh, old" syndrome is the worst. I can barely articulate why I hate it so much. It's indicative of a mind-set that, studying CS, I come across all the time. Bravo, genius! You've successfully predicated that something interesting will be popular among people when they hear about it. Yep, they don't spend hours a day in front of the computer and won't hear about it for a few days yet. Can you pick me some lottery numbers? You're practically clairvoyant.

This isn't meant as "shots fired" as Gaz, Vook or Vince. It's more of a general rant.

Is this about "lol, old" posts? I though gaz was just saying that media hype cycles are all the same. I thought he meant in terms of the cycle of announcements, teasers, trailers, details, spoilers, release, complaints, analysis and obscurity. Then comes nostalgia and faux disdain.

Moving right along then >.>

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is this about "lol, old" posts? I though gaz was just saying that media hype cycles are all the same. I thought he meant in terms of the cycle of announcements, teasers, trailers, details, spoilers, release, complaints, analysis and obscurity. Then comes nostalgia and faux disdain.

Moving right along then >.>

different sides of the same coin. symptoms of the same disease.

Fredescu

different sides of the same coin. symptoms of the same disease.
Not really, I think it's highly contextual. In an environment like AusGAF where things are pretty generally conversational, I think an old fart like Gaz telling us he's seen it all before is a relevant part of the conversation. He's not trying to one up anybody or win some sort of war. In a less relaxed environment, say on wider GAF, posting "X is pointless/boring" in a thread about X will probably get you banned, perhaps rightfully so, eh Vince?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In any case, this wasn't my point. I was referring to people who complain about topics once they become mainstream more than I was actual "lol, old" posts.

Yagharek

I'm just saying that being aware of a cycle is not the same as criticisms of those people in different stages of it.

I don't like when people are obnoxious about someone finding out something new to them, as if knowledge about it first imbues some superiority. If you do that on gaf, a banning is fair I say.

I liked a post blamespace made in gaming a few days ago, posting videos about the Green Demon in Mario 64. It was "old" but a very welcome old video.

I think either rez is misreading me, or I've misread gazuntas post and the context of it.

Yagharek

posting "X is pointless/boring" in a thread about X will probably get you banned, perhaps rightfully so, eh Vince?

Yep. Just keep out of topics for things you have zero interest in. In my case, I care none for smartphone patent wars, but good luck to those who do.

Fredescu

I think either rez is misreading me, or I've misread gazuntas post and the context of it.
I think he's more specifically talking about Vook and him being annoyed at the topic du jour and then actively posting about it (like: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40462347&postcount=3573) rather than Gaz basically saying he doesn't get involved because he's seen it before. Vook gets involved and fuels some flames, which I guess Rez doesn't like. Personally I don't mind it, because it helps fuel a bit of debate. I can see someone getting annoyed at it if they thought Vooks purpose was to convince you of the uselessness of debate. I don't think it's that. I think he just likes to troll to start a conversation. We got a bunch of posts about Colbert out of a Vook one liner today which was pretty cool.

Yep. Just keep out of topics for things you have zero interest in.
Yeah, and I think that's the gist of what Gaz said.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
oh my glob you guys

drama bomb

I can't find my 360 controller anywhere.

Some little man broke into my room and took it for his own glee.

This is what being a parent is like isn't it?

It is only going to get worse.

One day I will come home from work and he will just be sitting there.

Glued to the TV from 3:30pm until 8:30pm at night.

Operator that controller with carefree aplomb.

And then comes the cynicism of "back in my day we streamed our games directly to our IPS TV, none of this implant-into-the-base-of-the-spine shit!"

And I will die, an old man in the corner.

Clutching a copy of LttP trying in vain to guide him away from the path I travelled.

"Things aren't so bad son. Things aren't so bad."

end of the month at work really is a headfuck >_<
moar beer needed

Dead Man

So I posted in a tag fishing thread...

So much better than what I got :/

AusGAF 7 is boring.

I know. When you whippersnappers grow up you will realise not only that 1. You may very well know exactly how a relationship will go and 2. That you can save the person from getting hurt if they follow your advice, but also that 3. no one ever will. You cannot give people relationship advice unless they ask for it, and even then, sometimes.

Anyway, I got dicked. :(

Yagharek

Oh dear. The olympics are a debacle for australia.

Thankfully the narcissists are all losing, and tears on public tv for entitled people crying at coming second will hopefully shame them into growing the fuck up.

Probably a good idea at this stage to drop funding for basically all the high profile athletes except the women's basketball side, and divert the savings to the paralympics.

What a fucking farce.

Omikron

Thankfully the narcissists are all losing, and tears on public tv for entitled people crying at coming second will hopefully shame them into growing the fuck up.

Probably a good idea at this stage to drop funding for basically all the high profile athletes except the women's basketball side, and divert the savings to the paralympics.

What a fucking farce.

What in particular are you referencing?

Salazar

Finished the Nolan Batmanz - except the latest one.

Watched Hunt for Red October. Watched Branagh's Hamlet. Next up

Gone Baby Gone
Die Hard
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

GMG deal on Dark Souls. $7 for any of those free games we got a week or two ago for trade in. Not bad at all! $33!

What a fucking farce.

I thought most funding had already been cut?

I fucking hate a lot of what the Swim team is, and have for years now, but I do think everyone has been too hard on them. We expect to win every fucking event but we are only a small country punching above our weight. The fact that Seebohm reacted in such a worried fashion is alarming, she should have been elated to be the second best in the world for fucks sake! People have been tearing them to shreds with the far off method of social media, even if they think they are just talking hyperbole.

The sporting media demand nothing but gold from our athletes and they themselves appear to expect these results as well, almost as though it were their manifest destiny as Australians.

The way people react after the results don't go the expected way, it's like people are surprised the athletes have to... you know... compete.

The sporting media demand nothing but gold from our athletes and they themselves appear to expect these results as well, almost as though it were their manifest destiny as Australians.

The way people react after the results don't go the expected way, it's like people are surprised the athletes have to... you know... compete.

The Australian media has been so obnoxious with the olympics. First complaining about that swimmer being 'too fat', then that thing about the girl disappointing her family for winning silver, and the huge focus on the swimming ARGHWSLFKESHFjh. I really think I should have got foxtel for the month or something.

Boyfriend gets Korean satellite TV, so I got to watch Korea vs. Switzerland in the soccer. That was cool.

It's like athletes aren't allowed to be human. The way we as a country put athletes up on a pedestal, adulating and fawning over them as though they were paragons of all that is good and noble about us as a nation. We treat them like demi-gods and well... this happens.

Athletes have many fine, admirable qualities and they deserve all the glory they can earn, but for their sake, we really should cut them some slack. One of them will snap one of these days and hurt people. You mark my words.

Yagharek

Tears from that swimmer who got silver after expecting gold. Also, nick darcy and stephanie rice and the expectation the relay would get gold handed to them.

Entitlement on parade.

I thought most funding had already been cut?

I fucking hate a lot of what the Swim team is, and have for years now, but I do think everyone has been too hard on them. We expect to win every fucking event but we are only a small country punching above our weight. The fact that Seebohm reacted in such a worried fashion is alarming, she should have been elated to be the second best in the world for fucks sake! People have been tearing them to shreds with the far off method of social media, even if they think they are just talking hyperbole.

Thats where I'm coming from. If they're unable to deal with a common event in competition - ie not winning - then they are just being spoilt. Someone didnt tell them "no" when they were growing up.

Yep. As I said before, entitlement and expectation from all corners.

It's like athletes aren't allowed to be human. The way we as a country put athletes up on a pedestal, adulating and fawning over them as though they were paragons of all that is good and noble about us as a nation. We treat them like demi-gods and well... this happens.

Athletes have many fine, admirable qualities and they deserve all the glory they can earn, but for their sake, we really should cut them some slack. One of them will snap one of these days and hurt people. You mark my words.

We? Please. It's the sports media, not the country.

Yes, theyre human. But like mere humans, learn to deal with losing like the rest of us. Too many of them seem to believe their own hype.

r1chard

Boyfriend gets Korean satellite TV, so I got to watch Korea vs. Switzerland in the soccer. That was cool.
Oh man, that would be nice. My daughter was really excited about the Olympics but channel 9 has all but beaten that out of her - she's sick of watching sad athletes being interviewed or crap games like basketball just because Australia is in them - she keeps asking where's the fencing or judo or the other fun stuff?

Yagharek

I'm guessing the cricket thread is safe to post in now with 670 million people in India without power. Good odds that irfan is offline.

Thats where I'm coming from. If they're unable to deal with a common event in competition - ie not winning - then they are just being spoilt. Someone didnt tell them "no" when they were growing up.
I don't think it was that at all for her. I can agree with that sentiment for a few of the other swimmers but she came across as if she felt she let everyone down, rather than let herself down.
She grew up with everyone telling her she had to bring them a gold medal, as if we were entitled to it. Almost had a tinge of "oh shit I didn't win so now I will have to go work down in a coal mine" to it.

That's a real shame, especially if she's young. I wonder if there's somewhere online where everything can be viewed.

Tears from that swimmer who got silver after expecting gold. Also, nick darcy and stephanie rice and the expectation the relay would get gold handed to them.

Entitlement on parade.

lolol that relay. The amount of times the 6pm news people said something weapon related ('the weapons of mass destruction', 'this was one bomb that misfired'). Ugh. The funniest part was when they interviewed the coach and he was like 'they were going so well in the training, I guess we just didn't expect other countries would be as good, or see how their training was going'. derp. I know people want gold medals, but jeez. They are already some of the best athletes in the world.

Yagharek

I'll just leave it that after 3 weeks of Cadel Evans "losing", there is someone who can lose gracefully. That man is a much better example of how they should be holding themselves.

Bit of media training wouldnt hurt these olympians. Professional athletes tweeting racist, homophobic comments, breaking people's jaws in violent assaults and being bad sports all on public money, not to mention all their whinging in the last fortnight about not being paid enough - do they seriously not get it?

At least jana pittman had a one in ten chance of tripping every time she ran.

midonnay

as for stephanie rice.....

the chinese girl's abit suss....

her freestyle leg in the IM was faster than Michael Phelps and the other american bloke.

Danoss

I'll just leave it that after 3 weeks of Cadel Evans losing, there is someone who can lose gracefully.

He's no fool. Just finishing the Tour de France is an achievement in itself, winning is something else entirely.

Anyone expecting anything to be handed to them on in competitive sports is kidding themselves. Look at the Parramatta Eels, they play shithouse all year and still sit on the bottom of the table, yet they convincingly beat 2 top 4 teams.

Yagharek

He's no fool. Just finishing the Tour de France is an achievement in itself, winning is something else entirely.

Indeed. I wouldn't really call what he did this year "losing", just not coming first. But the guy is pretty damn good at coming across as a good sport, even if he is disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom