• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Indeed. I wouldn't really call what he did this year "losing", just not coming first. But the guy is pretty damn good at coming across as a good sport, even if he is disappointed.

I'm sure he's disappointed, but I'm sure he knows he did his best and is pleased with that. It's all you need really to know as an athlete. If you get a big head about yourself, it's a long way down from the top.

After a lot of the stuff I have listened to and read about cycling, it really is a battle with yourself, even more-so than it is against other riders. The Tour de France and the Race Across America are just grueling events, you have to have the right head for it as well as working hard for it. That might have a bit to do with it, aside from being a decent person.

Jintor

the chinese girl's abit suss....

her freestyle leg in the IM was faster than Michael Phelps and the other american bloke.

Part of me wants to call racism. The American swim team commentator did no favours in that regard. Still, I don't know shit about the evidence, so...

Danoss

Man, getting up one of the hills in the TDF would be an achievement.

Absolutely. I've read of some hobbyist cyclists that have gone specifically to some hills/mountains just to conquer them. The elation felt would be indescribable.

I was listening to a RadioLab episode on 'Limits', and they interviewing and talking about some riders in the Race Across America. One of them was Jure Robic. To have the mentality that he had is insane, almost literally. The great lengths and strategies he would employ to do what he did so well is to be truly admired. The link is to his wiki page where it says:

"During the 2004 Race Across America, it was reported that he had only eight hours of sleep during his eight-day, 2,958.5-mile (4,761.2 km) ride across the United States."

His team would blast war marching songs and he would yell and scream at the hallucinations he would have. His team would help him believe those strange shadows and such he would see because it helps trick the "governor" in the brain into releasing more energy as it thinks its life is in danger. An excellent episode linked above that is really worth a listen. Cyclists are a crazy bunch, and the elite among them are to be respected and admired.

hamchan

Part of me wants to call racism. The American swim team commentator did no favours in that regard. Still, I don't know shit about the evidence, so...

I'm calling racism and sour grapes wholeheartedly. These people still can't accept that China is top of the world now.

Yagharek

Absolutely. I've read of some hobbyist cyclists that have gone specifically to some hills/mountains just to conquer them. The elation felt would be indescribable.

I was listening to a RadioLab episode on 'Limits', and they interviewing and talking about some riders in the Race Across America. One of them was Jure Robic. To have the mentality that he had is insane, almost literally. The great lengths and strategies he would employ to do what he did so well is to be truly admired. The link is to his wiki page where it says:

"During the 2004 Race Across America, it was reported that he had only eight hours of sleep during his eight-day, 2,958.5-mile (4,761.2 km) ride across the United States."

His team would blast war marching songs and he would yell and scream at the hallucinations he would have. His team would help him believe those strange shadows and such he would see because it helps trick the "governor" in the brain into releasing more energy as it thinks its life is in danger. An excellent episode linked above that is really worth a listen. Cyclists are a crazy bunch, and the elite among them are to be respected and admired.

And feared by the sounds of it. That's terrifying!

I'm calling racism and sour grapes wholeheartedly. These people still can't accept that China is top of the world now.

Playing the odds here, I'd say that in a country with 18% of the world's population is more likely to have individuals within it that are going to outdo other athletes in similar fields. Given the opportunity to train, of course.

At the end of the day, they all get drug tested so leave it to the official results and stop crying about someone else winning.

midonnay

you could think that....but the chinese swim team especially has been mired in controversy since the 80's.

so its natural to be suspicious about something so spectacular....

China was top in the world in the early nineties....

until 28 swimmers got caught cheating.

Deeku

Ah boo I didn't know baseball/softball wasn't in this olympics:(

Anyway, yay finished Dragon Quest V ds. Classic dq with some surprisingly moving moments, really enjoyed it! Good length too, just under 30 hrs. Was thinking of jumping straight into VI, but I think I've been playing too many jrpgs lately... Sooo, I've picked out the second Phoenix Wright game to cleanse the palette!

Feels good to see my large box of unopened ds games gradually shrink!

To lighten the tone, check out this new 5 minute cooking show on ABC iview called Audrey's Kitchen. Best to go in cold...

Ha thanks for that.

On that note, can I interest anybody on this talk from 2004? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTO_dZUvbJA&feature=youtu.be

Probably handy to bookmark to watch during Steam sales or console launches.

Someone's subscribed to r/foodforthought!
I found it quite interesting.

Next up

Gone Baby Gone
Die Hard
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Ok
Awesome
Great

Snoop Dogg -> Snoop Lion
Doggy Style -> Liony Style

yes
thankyou
You Now Have Timeline — a New Kind of Profile
Preview your timeline now and make any changes you want before other people see it starting August 7.
what the fuck
1. booooooo
2. release date for a fucking timeline

yeah we decided to push it back to august 7 to get out of the way of mike's new timeline
we just didnt want to crowd the... people

Stackboy

It looks like the customisation is waaaaayyyyy better than the first game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uNTUn27uY#t=47s

A whole bunch of us recently pre-ordered either boxed copies or Steam 4 packs, so there should be plenty of co-op partners available come September =]

I'm getting in both 360 and PC. 360 because it's what I played the majority of the first one on and PC because it's $40 on GMG and I'm getting a new rig in 3 weeks. Anyone keen for either, let me know and I'll add you.

you could think that....but the chinese swim team especially has been mired in controversy since the 80's.

so its natural to be suspicious about something so spectacular....

China was top in the world in the early nineties....

until 28 swimmers got caught cheating.

Yes, China has a long history with drug use in the Olympics. Skepticism is totally in line with their Olympic history.

If she's a legit swimmer though then holy shit.

jambo

Snoop Dogg -> Snoop Lion
Doggy Style -> Liony Style

But that's not where that originates from.

Or is it some horrible word play on Banana's part?

Or is it in reference to his album?

I'm getting in both 360 and PC. 360 because it's what I played the majority of the first one on and PC because it's $40 on GMG and I'm getting a new rig in 3 weeks. Anyone keen for either, let me know and I'll add you.

Hop in to AusGAF chat on Steam and you should be able to find plenty of PC players to add!

Playing the odds here, I'd say that in a country with 18% of the world's population is more likely to have individuals within it that are going to outdo other athletes in similar fields. Given the opportunity to train, of course.

At the end of the day, they all get drug tested so leave it to the official results and stop crying about someone else winning.

jambo

They've been tested something like 100 times since they've arrived in London. I'd be very surprised if she was doping.

China has poured incredible amounts of money in to their Olympic efforts and head hunted the best coaches in the world over the past 10-15 years and it's finally paying off.

midonnay

They've been tested something like 100 times since they've arrived in London. I'd be very surprised if she was doping.

China has poured incredible amounts of money in to their Olympic efforts and head hunted the best coaches in the world over the past 10-15 years and it's finally paying off.

noone thought marion jones was cheating though.... she has never failed a drugs test.

and noone would have if some whistleblower hadn't leaked a sample to the drugs testing folks.

and when cheating gets to a genetic level....

it'll probably become an arms race between rich nations.

Danoss

Christ DOTA 2 has a high barrier to entry. I thought I'd watch some videos and shit to try and understand the mechanics and whatnot, since a lot of it isn't immediately apparent. Most of these guides/videos assume that you already know a bunch about the game, including terms that aren't defined.

"So lets talk about a pull, a push, a hard carry, easy lanes, hard lanes etc. Oh, you don't know what any of this shit means? ... GET OUT!"

These "guides" need a fucking guide themselves.

"Lets talk about gankers and pushers and supports." *Shows demo footage of a mess of shit happening all over the screen.* "Your role as this is doing what we just showed you as well as XYZ."

Shame I couldn't see it because so much shit was happening at once, there was nothing to draw my attention to whatever the fuck you're talking about.

jambo

There are bot matches.

And try playing with AusGAF peeps, they will ease you in.

Plus I googled DOTA 2 beginners guide and got a bunch of very basic walkthroughs. There's also a wiki for DOTA 2.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You could check some of these guides out here - http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/qckss/new_players_reddits_compiled_guide_to_dota2/

Might help a little bit.

Do a bot match, Pick AXE, put your first point in the 3rd ability, which is counter helix, it's bound to the E key. As you continue to level put a point in Q or W (first or second) and keep putting points in E though. Once you hit level 6, put a point in your ultimate which is the 4th ability, that's bound to R.

For starting items, Just go by what it says when you start the game and press the shop button. It will have a side section of suggested items, buy 1 or 2 tangos, a salve, go a shield and then spend the rest on iron branches. In reality, you're against bots, they are going to fuck you up so it doesn't really matter. But this helps get you familiar with some basics.

After that, Head out into a lane, top or bottom depending on how you feel and hit creeps.

The bots will destroy you, they are totally not human at all. But it helps!

As AXE you can jungle. On your mini map you will see small green dots just above the bottom lane or below the top lane, that's where the jungle creeps are. But don't do that shit too early, otherwise you could die. There's 2 small creeps (easy), 2 medium and 2 hard. Just highlight them to see how much HP each unit has and you can figure out which is the easy and which is the hard.

Danoss

Thanks for the "google it" response Jambo. Super helpful.

Did you create the guides I've been looking at?

You could check some of these guides out here - http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/qckss/new_players_reddits_compiled_guide_to_dota2/

Might help a little bit.

Thanks man, I'll have a look. Hopefully my eyes don't glaze over trying to read it.

Edit: I was looking at a guide similar to that. Same videos too. Welp.
m8ztM.gif

Christ DOTA 2 has a high barrier to entry. I thought I'd watch some videos and shit to try and understand the mechanics and whatnot, since a lot of it isn't immediately apparent. Most of these guides/videos assume that you already know a bunch about the game, including terms that aren't defined.

"So lets talk about a pull, a push, a hard carry, easy lanes, hard lanes etc. Oh, you don't know what any of this shit means? ... GET OUT!"

These "guides" need a fucking guide themselves.

"Lets talk about gankers and pushers and supports." *Shows demo footage of a mess of shit happening all over the screen.* "Your role as this is doing what we just showed you as well as XYZ."

Shame I couldn't see it because so much shit was happening at once, there was nothing to draw my attention to whatever the fuck you're talking about.

Danoss
1. go to the dota 2 OT
2. go to the newb guide links they explain all of this >
http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/purges-inclusive-guide-for-noobs-aka.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUNmFAzS98
3. Play against Bots (i can give you tips after lunchtime on steam)

Thanks for the "google it" response Jambo. Super helpful.

Did you create the guides I've been looking at?

Thanks man, I'll have a look. Hopefully my eyes don't glaze over trying to read it.

Edit: I was looking at a guide similar to that. Same videos too. Welp.

Sounds like the best (and only way for people like me) is to jump into AusGAF steam chat and play some games with our awesome crew who are more than willing to walk people through the steps. Been quite a few people starting from scratch lately and it would be the best way to get in a few hours to see if it gets its hooks into you.

Danoss

Sounds like the best (and only way for people like me) is to jump into AusGAF steam chat and play some games with our awesome crew who are more than willing to walk people through the steps. Been quite a few people starting from scratch lately and it would be the best way to get in a few hours to see if it gets its hooks into you.

Probably the best way. Though everyone is recommending the same guide, and it's truly terrible. Useless without a glossary.

The problem with the guides is that they assume that you have a certain level of knowledge about the game. If I wrote a "learn photography" guide for new SLR owners, assuming people knew what aperture, ISO and shutter speed were and how they interacted, and then went on to talk about ND filters, complicated lighting setups and such the whole time, most newbies would fucking bin their new and expensive camera.

Go fuck yourself =]

Didn't need to be said, that message was telegraphed in your first reply.

But that's not where that originates from.

Or is it some horrible word play on Banana's part?

Or is it in reference to his album?

Hop in to AusGAF chat on Steam and you should be able to find plenty of PC players to add!

shit man, im talking about his album. i thought that was clear.
of course thats not where that comes from i know that.
i also realise that albums dont get re titled retroactively.
cant you just accept the fact that its a weird and silly name now and move on?
"oh thats crazy i hope this is just a silly thing he did for a week"

jambo

I totally forgot the name of his first album.

I'm also tired, so your horrible humour didn't click at first.

Fusebox

Banned

Don't worry man I got the joke.

Dental plan!

Speaking of which. I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to get a dental appointment.

My local dentist was booked out until 2014 (slight exaggeration but you get the point). Rang up one in the cbd near work, cheaper, and can fit me in this week.

Today's lesson. Do everything in the cbd.

jambo

bodyboarder needs braces?

I started using a dentist in the CBD a few years ago. I can just walk there from work on my lunch break and they always have plenty of appointment times available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom