• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

It isn't already?

the Olympics are just a Sponsors Festival with some running events tacked on.

perhaps..... its a losing battle anyways....

according to the BALCO guy Victor Conte, the WADA testing regime has alot of loopholes. (as in ignoring certain steroids that leave your system in a matter of hours).

bring on the robo-olympics I say :/

Danoss

Or if people are ever caught cheating/doping, they go into the 'cheaters' olympics and can only compete against other cheaters/dopers.

Rezbit

Now that would be a great spectacle to watch, Roidlympics, be all you can be.

Now I've just got the image of those crazy bronzed bodybuilders competing in every event. Works well with diving, synchronized swimming and 10m shooting.

Rahk

Probably the best way. Though everyone is recommending the same guide, and it's truly terrible. Useless without a glossary.

The problem with the guides is that they assume that you have a certain level of knowledge about the game. If I wrote a "learn photography" guide for new SLR owners, assuming people knew what aperture, ISO and shutter speed were and how they interacted, and then went on to talk about ND filters, complicated lighting setups and such the whole time, most newbies would bin their new and expensive camera.
I presume you've never played a game of Dota before and are just trying to understand it by watching and reading guides? In which case you should really just start up a game on your own (or with Marsh in Mumble) against passive bots to see how everything functions and comes together before reading any guides. I didn't really understand the guide I posted until after my first couple games, and then it made much more sense. Then I read it again after about 20 games it helped even more. I think it does a pretty good job on explaining new concepts, but you might just need that initial game before you fully understand them.

Reading Dota guides without any experience to the game would be like trying to read a guide for new SLR owners without any knowledge of what a camera is, let alone how it operates.

It isn't already?

the Olympics are just a Sponsors Festival with some running events tacked on.

Pretty much. Have a look at "gruen sweat" on abc. Interesting stuff.

bodyboarder needs braces?

I started using a dentist in the CBD a few years ago. I can just walk there from work on my lunch break and they always have plenty of appointment times available.

Yeah, so convenient. I didnt realise there were so many dentists in the city.

Danoss

Reading Dota guides without any experience to the game would be like trying to read a guide for new SLR owners without any knowledge of what a camera is, let alone how it operates.

The thing with a camera is that things like ISO, Shutter, and Aperture are actually referred to as such by manufacturers and users alike. Not so with DOTA, where the classes and character types they refer to in guides are not called or referred to as the same in the game, they're colloquialisms, which are unhelpful.

STALKER Facebook page
Until this (Bethesda buying Stalker rights) has been confirmed on THIS page or by Bethesda themselves please take all stories with a pinch of salt. Currently the only source for the information is a private blog. As soon as I have credible information I will notify the community.

According to my sources the news that Bethesda purchased the Stalker rights is false. I will continue to keep a look out and if I hear anything new, you will all be the first to know!

At the very least if they are going to buy the IP I hope they end up employing all the old staff as I would hate to lose that intangible feeling they created that radiated out at you even just from looking at your computer screen.

The thing with a camera is that things like ISO, Shutter, and Aperture are actually referred to as such by manufacturers and users alike. Not so with DOTA, where the classes and character types they refer to in guides are not called or referred to as the same in the game, they're colloquialisms, which are unhelpful.
Which is why you need to play a game. Play it and then read guides. Its not an instruction manual you read before you start. Read after as a debreif to figure out what went wrong.

Rahk

Ah, I can see how that can be confusing.

Strength, Agility and Intelligence are how heroes are mainly grouped.

The other category is more of a role that they excel at based on their abilities and stat gains e.g. ganker, carry, support. This isn't really set in stone and heroes can excel at multiple roles so it's hard to categorise them this way. The game does show these on the hero cards or somewhere, but it's less prominent.

These might help with that:
http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Role
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0439JaMYA

Also, a lot of heroes have two different names (plus acronyms and/or initialisms) that they are referred to so I can imagine that getting confusing if guides refer to them as different names.

Danoss

Which is why you need to play a game. Play it and then read guides. Its not an instruction manual you read before you start. Read after as a debreif to figure out what went wrong.

"Here, take my SLR, I want you to take a bulb exposure for 15 seconds. Then follow that by two other exposures one overexposed by 2 stops, one underexposed by 2 stops."

If you haven't used a camera before, just have a go and read some shit later if you fail.

Kritz

Banned
XpMDMl.jpg

It arrived!

"Here, take my SLR, I want you to take a bulb exposure for 15 seconds. Then follow that by two other exposures one overexposed by 2 stops, one underexposed by 2 stops."

If you haven't used a camera before, just have a go and read some shit later if you fail.
Oh sorry were you trying play a camera. I think I found your problem.

Danoss

Dota isn't a camera and isn't even remotely analogous, why do you guys keep using that haha.

Isn't that clear? There are terms used for things that aren't immediately obvious in the game. See, it's familiar to you guys because you've been playing for ages. A camera is familiar to me, but if I start throwing camera lingo at you, it doesn't help you in any way at all.

Danoss is going for his "get banned talking about video games and photography at the same time" badge.

Yeah, I'll probably get banned in a minute. Can't talk shit or complain about popular games on GAF, that's a paddlin'.

Dota isn't a camera and isn't even remotely analogous, why do you guys keep using that haha.
EXACTLY!
Stop fucking getting hung up on your camera.
And yes if you told me that and handed me the camera I would play with it and find those settings myself first. Or at least try to.

It is kinda confusing yeah. Once you know a few basic things you kind kind of pick up what to do from there. I'm up for a game tonight, so come join us for that. I don't know how much you already know, but just in case I'll start from scratch. All you need to know going in is that there are three lanes, with generally 2 people in each side on and one in the middle to start off with. Sometimes people sneak about into other lanes, and 'gank' the enemy. Buy the recommended items from the shop, but if you have trouble just ask. You get money by killing creeps (the little dudes who march along) or by killing other people (which earns you a little more). When you kill creep, try to only attack when they are low on health, otherwise you will push the lane (and the line of your creeps) too close to their tower, which exposes you to ganks. The aim is to eventually shoot down all the enemy towers and then attack their base. Different characters have different roles. Gankers gank, the carries do most of the damage, tanks take the damage, the supports support, junglers don't stay in the lanes, they do their own thing and help out everyone. I would recommend going on the official dota youtube site and looking up the characters before you play them. Basically it just gives you a short 3 minute intro of what the attacks are. I think from there you can work everything else out.

EDIT: Here is a character intro for Axe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Qz3UxkuxY&list=PL86E04995E07F6BA8&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Rezbit

Isn't that clear? There are terms used for things that aren't immediately obvious in the game. See, it's familiar to you guys because you've been playing for ages. A camera is familiar to me, but if I start throwing camera lingo at you, it doesn't help you in any way.

Dota is the first one of these sorta games I played, and really best way to learn is to play with someone. After about 3 games of not understanding a thing you start to understand what is happening when someone is ganking, or if someone is aggressively pushing your lane. High entry barrier no doubt, but eventually you do get it.

Jintor

I enjoyed playing Dota with AusGAF but I'd probably enjoy playing anything multiplayer with AusGAF just because you can shoot the shit and yell at one another. The actual gameplay is almost incidental.

Rahk

Basically it's impossible to learn everything there is to know from playing a single game of Dota or from any one guide. You just need to learn the basics and then just keep playing and playing. One day it all clicks.

I don't think I completely understood what I should be doing throughout a match and how the creep waves/lanes function until about my 20th game or so.

That reminds me, you all should read the Dota experience articles on Eurogamer, which are about the writer's first experiences with Dota. There are currently three parts. It's a fun read:

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

If everyone playing with me is as helpful as BananaArnie and Jambo, I'll get there in no time!

It's really a case of you need to learn by doing. Create a lobby (make sure to edit the settings to set bots to passive) and then just start up and get a feel for the map. Where towers are, the movement of creeps (little dudes that run down the lanes), how line of sight works at day and night, using your abilities, etc.

The suggested items are usually pretty good for the heroes, so you can go ahead and grab those to start. Get more gold from killing creeps (only if you get the killing blow) and enemy heroes. But don't go auto-attacking creeps as that will push the lane and make it so that the creep waves are beneath the enemy's tower. Similarly, you can deny the enemy hero in your lane gold and experience by denying a creep (pressing a then left clicking on one of your own creeps will force you to attack it if it is below 50% life).

Basically you'll want to eventually start taking down towers (while letting your creeps 'tank' the tower aggro). After about 12 or so minutes in a real game you'd stop hanging out in just your lane and start roaming as a group more.

Regardless, at first you are going to suck. And the experience of dying repeatedly, in non-passive bot games, is going to suck, until you can instinctively become aware of how far out you can be from towers before you're at risk, as well as how much damage an enemy hero can do. This period will be mitigated by hopping on mumble and playing with us. We will probably lose, but it will be infinitely better than losing by yourself without insight into how to do better.

You will find that you become unconsciously familiar with everything that is happening pretty quickly. And watching videos, after having played a game or two, you'll find that the points being made a much more clear. That video that Marsh linked is especially good for beginners. Even more so after they've viewed the map through the client.

Jintor

It's already full of overreactions on both sides of the spectrum. I wish lawGaf had a higher presence but most of lawgaf appears to spend their time actually working

Kritz

Banned
It's already full of overreactions on both sides of the spectrum. I wish lawGaf had a higher presence but most of lawgaf appears to spend their time actually working

I'd also imagine lawGAF probably knows enough about law to not give legal advice on internet forums. Maybe.

There's probably some people pretending to be lawyers on a reddit topic about it, though.

Raxum

Yeah agreed, honestly I just see a company trying to protect it's own interests, and they don't seem to be doing it in a way that really harms people. That said I can see where people who are already worried about steam/valve might be coming from. Personally, never had a problem, so it won't stop me now.

On a side-note, does anyone here us the Evolve client?

Danoss

It's really a case of you need to learn by doing.

Indeed. It's a battle with the awkward as hell controls, on top of the already complicated game. I don't expect to be good right away, but I expect to not have to sit on Mumble asking question after question because things aren't obvious when they should be. Like controlling the courier and shit for one.

I played a bot game with some others, we won, but that was through nothing that I contributed. I'd occasionally hit stuff but mostly just act confused.

It's a shame that Valve only really has this game to have a hardcore tournament game in their stables. If only some of their own polish and way to demonstrate how things work were implemented. Unfortunately, that would upset the community who originally had to wrestle with the needlessly complicated crap.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Indeed. It's a battle with the awkward as hell controls, on top of the already complicated game. I don't expect to be good right away, but I expect to not have to sit on Mumble asking question after question because things aren't obvious when they should be. Like controlling the courier and shit for one.

I played a bot game with some others, we won, but that was through nothing that I contributed. I'd occasionally hit stuff but mostly just act confused.

It's a shame that Valve only really has this game to have a hardcore tournament game in their stables. If only some of their own polish and way to demonstrate how things work were implemented. Unfortunately, that would upset the community who originally had to wrestle with the needlessly complicated crap.

They are going to include a learning section, But they haven't gotten around to it yet. I expect they want to get all 108 characters in then polish it up a bit and throw in the learning tab before it goes open free 2 play.

Rahk

Indeed. It's a battle with the awkward as hell controls, on top of the already complicated game. I don't expect to be good right away, but I expect to not have to sit on Mumble asking question after question because things aren't obvious when they should be. Like controlling the courier and crap for one.

Yeah, they're recreating Dota as closely as possible, which includes recreating mechanics that exist because of the limitations of the WC3 engine. They've streamlined a few things, but clearly not enough to ease in new players.

Remember, it's still in closed beta so they're just focusing on getting the core game up to Dota 1 standards and then they will probably put more attention on other things such as tutorials.

markot

Banned
Hm, but isnt the addition of that clause unfair >.>? It limits the right of a party to sue.

I guess it only effects the US though.

hamchan

It's still in beta yo. There's a tutorial tab but it's greyed out now. I don't think they can change the game mechanics any more lest the game becomes dumbed down, like LoL.

Raxum

Hm, but isnt the addition of that clause unfair >.>? It limits the right of a party to sue.

I guess it only effects the US though.

Technically it affects everyone who uses steam, but I gotta be honest, if people think that's unfair, go ahead and read other EULAs, they basically remove all your rights to anything in regards to the game and give all the rights to the corporation providing it. And from what I've seen, a lot of other companies are actually using the same/a similar clause already.

Honestly, I can't fault Valve for protecting themselves, but at the same time the whole practice of the industry and the requirement for them to protect themselves as such is a bit of a joke. It shouldn't resort to this but there are those people out there who will try to make a buck or two from a company that doesn't protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom