• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Need to search out more of these specifically designed 2 player games.

The only 2 player games I have at the moment are Summoner Wars, Memoir '44, Twilight Struggle and 1st & Goal.

If your wife isn't into strategy games, she probably won't jive on Memoir or Twilight Struggle much, and I'd assume gridiron doesn't interest her in the slightest; so that leaves on game. If you want some card battles that are fast and fun, Summoner Wars is well worth a look. I believe there is an iOS app for the game out there now too which has a free mode, if you have some iDevice around the house to preview it. Don't worry, it's not a collectible card game (and nothing like Magic), and there is a Master Set with 6 different decks/races in there.

Jintor

For Discworld, I recommend every City Watch book, every Death book and every Moist von Lipwig book.

I recommend every book.

I have a shipment from bookdepository arriving any day now. I've been waiting to read Snuff for like a fucking year now. I can only fit paperbacks onto my shelf :/

I feel a bit terrible, but I have a couple of friends who are really really into Terry Pratchett, and the more they talk about the books the less I want to read them, to the point where the mere mention of them bothers me :s I don't think I could read them. the same thing happened with life on mars actually...

Omikron

The only 2 player games I have at the moment are Summoner Wars, Memoir '44, Twilight Struggle and 1st & Goal.

If your wife isn't into strategy games, she probably won't jive on Memoir or Twilight Struggle much, and I'd assume gridiron doesn't interest her in the slightest; so that leaves on game. If you want some card battles that are fast and fun, Summoner Wars is well worth a look. I believe there is an iOS app for the game out there now too which has a free mode, if you have some iDevice around the house to preview it. Don't worry, it's not a collectible card game, and there is a Master Set with 6 different decks/races in there.

Yah, have looked at a few of the Plaid Hat games in the past. But think I might stick to collecting this small box 2 player games for now.

There is a whole bunch in the same line as Lost Cities that seem worth picking up!

Edit: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kosmos_two-player_series#

Jintor

I feel a bit terrible, but I have a couple of friends who are really really into Terry Pratchett, and the more they talk about the books the less I want to read them, to the point where the mere mention of them bothers me :s I don't think I could read them. the same thing happened with life on mars actually...

They're pretty good shan! You're missing le out.

Yagharek

I finally got around to reading Nineteen Eightyfour recently. Man, good book. It, above all other books I've read recently (all like, three of them), reminded me of how much I regret not picking up reading.

So, I might as well ask for recommendations for what my next book should be. Assume that I have read no books in my life. Keep in mind I have zero attention span.

Also include a few sentences that sell your book to me, keeping in mind that I am a child and won't know what I want until I get it.

I, Robot.

Classic Asimov, and nothing like the movie abomination. It's 3 short stories, all about robots and humans in a future that might have been possible now in the 1950s Cold War imagination about the future.

It's about Robot intelligence, developing their own rationale, and its most certainly not "robots as pathos" a la Frankenstein's monster.

Asimov's writing is really easy to read and its a fun set of stories.

Only a short book, maybe 200 pages, so plenty of time to get through it without stopping you getting into Discworld et all.

On the assumption you like Asimov's writing, then follow it up with The Caves of Steel and The Gods Themselves. So many beautiful fun stories from him.

All this book talk, I've lost my copy of the illustrated hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Here's some of the few pics I can find from it

Rob001.jpg

Douglas+Adams+signature.jpg

I used to have audio cassette versions of Stephen Moore (radio Marvin) reading Restaurant at the End of the Universe and one of Douglas Adams reading the first Dirk Gently novel.

But I tend to prefer radioplays to audiobooks and I'm working through the BBC radioplay (full casts, fx and music) version of Dirk Gently's.

I came across this a while back. It's the radio cast of Hitchhikers performing the scripts live.

HHGG-Radio-Show-Live-Mark-Wing-Davey-Simon-Jones-Geoff-McGivern-photographer-James-Bullimore.jpg

Kritz

Banned
1 - I've actually read Hitchhiker's. And I kinda read half of each Dirk Gently book. But in the wrong order. They didn't catch me the same way, for some reason. Well, I assume for a reason other than the reading the second one first one... reason.

2 - I, Robot seems right up my alley. I'mma make that my next book.

3 - Will check out The Long Ships. Looks like my kinda stupid.

4 - What's a discworld. Is that like Halo or what.

5 - I have also read the Max Brooks zombie things, not that anyone suggested them, but someone might at some point.

6 - Someone recommended something like 1984 that I've already forgotten the name of which I might read later. Maybe.

Also, I should point out that I'll easily get into a book with a good character.

Things I have already read:
Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, The Other Good One
The Hobbit, The First Twenty Pages of The Lord of the Rings Book That I Found Boring
All of the Hitchhiker's books. All of them. Except for that one that I haven't.
Silence of the Lambs. I don't know why or how.
... four of the Halo books.
The Last Wish / the Witcher book.
The Name of the Wind. (Or something similarly titled)

and that is my vocabulary of books.

EDIT: Oh, and if I can't find these books on the Kindle store / they aren't royalty free, I will probably skip them. Because I'm an asshole.

Jintor

What do you mean by recent? Just lurk the What Are You Reading Thread (where's the August one?) and steal books off that.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the correct way to think about a Steam account is as a (free) subscription service to the Steam platform, where you can purchase and add digital content to your account... as opposed to being a thing where you actually own your games.

I'm kind of okay with that really.

Deeku

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.
ohhh, i will read this!

Jintor said:
What do you mean by recent? Just lurk the What Are You Reading Thread (where's the August one?) and steal books off that.
Like, recent so I'm not always reading old books! Yeah I've browsed them occasionally, but people mostly read fantasy. I don't have anything against fantasy, but I kinda want to branch out a bit now that I'm interested in reading again.

Like, ya know, try'n to get a bit more cultured n stuff!

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the correct way to think about a Steam account is as a (free) subscription service to the Steam platform, where you can purchase and add digital content to your account... as opposed to being a thing where you actually own your games.
It's the only way to think about it; not just now but always. Sure, they're making it ever so more clear about that distinction now but nothing has changed.

Which fucking sucks. It really does. It really shouldn't be a situation where any of these service providers can cut you off from content that you've bought subscribed to and tell you that there's nothing you can do about it because you agreed to those conditions. Just because the method of delivery is digital shouldn't mean that your ability to deprive me of goods that I've purchased subscribed to is greater than those items I've purchased physically. People wouldn't accept a company sending a representative around to everyone's home to demand they hand back their book/DVD/car/etc and I really don't think it should be acceptable in the digital delivery system.

But we do, because... well, we do.

Not that I ever see the situation eventuating, but it would be glorious to witness the meltdown if Valve ever shut down the service without warning.

GLORIOUS

Omikron

I came to terms it was a subscription service years ago and am happy to accept it because I get access to games cheaply and efficiently.

Fredescu

If a service whose primary function is to allow you to download and update games goes out of business, guess what you're no longer going to be able to do? Not sure why this is news.

Honestly? People are stupid. :p
The Steam site does say "purchase", which sort of implies ownership of said items as opposed to adding them to a temporarily-available account.

Edit: If anyone's interested in a catch up tomorrow afternoon in the city I'm down. I have a work thing in the morning but will be free from about 13:30. Currently planning on having lunch at Touche Hombre or Mamasita (or both!) then heading over to the Game Masters exhibition but am flexible.

Fredescu

The Steam site does say "purchase", which sort of implies ownership of said items
If you agree with that, then there are other methods you can use to download and update the software you bought. You'd just no longer be able to do it via Steam. It's only the convenience you'd lose.

If you agree with that, then there are other methods you can use to download and update the software you bought. You'd just no longer be able to do it via Steam. It's only the convenience you'd lose.
Oh yeah, plenty of other ways, though more and more are relying on DRM anyway so ultimately it may not matter whether you buy it from Steam, Origin, GMG etc because Ubisoft etc will just turn off the authentication server eventually, making you a pirate if you want to continue playing the game you "bought" in good faith.

Fredescu

I'm not talking about buying it again from other stores, I mean if you accept that your purchase from Steam confers ownership, then you should feel well within your rights to download a cracked version if the original is no longer available. DRM doesn't matter in that case, everything gets cracked in the end.

Fair enough. If Tim Schafer says it's OK to download his out of print games (and repent by spending money at the Double Fine store), then it seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Yagharek

I'm kind of okay with that really.

This sounds like how a scientologist would speak about their auditing expenses.

Thankfully, even the EU recognises digital ownership for customers, no matter what the publishers try to assert.

That said, I wouldn't pay more than 5c for a steam game knowing what they claim you're buying.

Yagharek

Doesn't pretty much all purchased software make this claim explicitly? That you're buying a "license to use" rather than whatever the alternative is.

I believe so, but they're wrong about it anyway.

Physical copies can't be deactivated yet, thankfully. Non EU residents will still get fucked over by publishers though.

Omikron

I believe so, but they're wrong about it anyway.

They're wrong because you deem them to be?

Would completely depend on local law I imagine.

Edit: Next console generation is going to be super interesting to see what MS/Sony put in place for once off licenses linked to an account.

Yagharek

They're wrong because you deem them to be?

Would completely depend on local law I imagine.

Edit: Next console generation is going to be super interesting to see what MS/Sony put in place for once off licenses linked to an account.

If they take your licenses, they owe you full refunds. If they don't offer that, they can't take them.

As for next gen, look at final fight psn for how it will be.

Edit: as a customer I can deem them to be wrong. I'm just following the principles of thousands of years worth of trade. Ownership doesn't end because publishers create an artificial concept like licenses to limit their reasonable obligations.

Omikron

If they take your licenses, they owe you full refunds. If they don't offer that, they can't take them.

As for next gen, look at final fight psn for how it will be.

I agree that that is what should happen yeah.

And please explain final fight psn details, as I can't be arsed looking it up and don't own a ps3. :p

Jintor

Whilst ignoring millennia of human trade and common understanding of words like ownership and purchase.

Typical obsfucation and deception.

Millennia of human trade doesn't map well to newer technologically enabled commerce. Try explaining netflix to a 16th century merchant prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom