• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'd also imagine lawGAF probably knows enough about law to not give legal advice on internet forums. Maybe.

There's probably some people pretending to be lawyers on a reddit topic about it, though.

There's no advice being given here, it's all just discussion and multiple interpretations on the issue. Legally speaking it ends with the SCOTUS, which is interesting because I don't think the decision made was actually about restricting the ability of consumers to launch class action lawsuits insofar as it was about Federal legislation clearly overruling state legislation. Nonetheless on the ramnifications it seems a dumb decision. Maybe I'll read more into it.

jambo

AusGaf wheres the cheapest place to get Microsoft Points from? Whats the best point to dollar ratio?

I've used GameCard.com.au in the past

Wasn't someone posting in here a few days ago about cheap Xbox Live stuff?

EDIT: Looks like it was just subscription related deals

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/76221

EDIT 2: What the fuck?! I just went to xbox.com to compare how much points cost. When I clicked add points it asked for me to verify my password. Then it asked me to enter a code it had sent to my mobile. I haven't used that number in years so I go in to change the number, but the changes won't go in to effect until the 30th of August, so I can't look at or add points to my account on this PC =\

midonnay

wait..... your eyes stay open under anasthesia? :O

(dentist took a funny picture while a redditor was under...)

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/xhat1/my_coworker_got_his_wisdom_teeth_removed_the/

wtMJ6.jpg

jambo

Thanks but i was hoping for something under $50 for 3000 points or under $25 per 1500 points as thats what JB/Dick Smith have, Gamecard is more expensive.

Yeah I think when I bought from GameCard last time they were having a sale.

Good luck!

Jintor

I've used GameCard.com.au in the past

Wasn't someone posting in here a few days ago about cheap Xbox Live stuff?

EDIT: Looks like it was just subscription related deals

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/76221

EDIT 2: What the fuck?! I just went to xbox.com to compare how much points cost. When I clicked add points it asked for me to verify my password. Then it asked me to enter a code it had sent to my mobile. I haven't used that number in years so I go in to change the number, but the changes won't go in to effect until the 30th of August, so I can't look at or add points to my account on this PC =\

Microsoft's fucking account procedure is the most asinine bullshit crap ever. I have a huge goddamn horror story about it that I can't be bothered to type up. Suffice to say that I'm probably never playing Arkham City again because the save files are locked to an account I won't have access to in a bit if I want to keep using my Xbox Live account.

Card Boy

Banned
Chances are, any time you see cheap non-emailed codes for sale the shipping will make it more expensive than getting them directly from Microsoft.

How much they directly through Microsoft? I'm bit cautious giving my CC info to Microsoft.

500 Microsoft Points - $8.25
1000 Microsoft Points - $16.50
2000 Microsoft Points - $33.00
5000 Microsoft Points - $82.50
6000 Microsoft Points - $99.00

found it. Mightyape seems to be the better deal even with the postage costs.

Pretty sure Richard said it was super awesome!

How much they directly through Microsoft? I'm bit cautious giving my CC info to Microsoft.

found it. Mightyape seems to be the better deal even with the postage costs.
Wish you luck in anything from Mighty Ape ever arriving!

I braved Fishpond because they had a hard-to-find DS game. Having heard the horror stories I expected nothing to come of the order or possibly the wrong item; worse come to worse I thought I'd have to brave months worth of "we're trying to source from the distributer" emails until either I or they cancelled the order.

1 week later the game appeared on my doorstep.

I say this not because I wish to prove anyone's opinion incorrect but only to provide a counter-point.

Card Boy

Banned
woah fishpond has 4000 points for 60bucks and free delivery. I think i might risk it with Paypal, and just file a dispute if they screw me over.

Drove all the way out to uni after work to grab a copy of my textbook from the library after work only to arrive home and see it is a 1 Day Loan copy
:/

I say this not because I wish to prove anyone's opinion incorrect but only to provide a counter-point.

Indeed, all stories are based on one purchase in probably tens of thousands. I still buy from Zavvi despite a lot of people decrying them since they have treated me kindly. Until you make that first purchase with a company it is hard to tell how things will go with them if all you have to go by are stories from people on the internet.

Rahk

I ordered points from Fishpond a couple years ago on about three different occasions. The first two times were fine. The third time I never received them, but after emailing them and waiting a certain period of time they 'resent' them, so I had no problems there.

Drove all the way out to uni after work to grab a copy of my textbook from the library after work only to arrive home and see it is a 1 Day Loan copy
:/

At least you noticed. I hired out a book for one night only to return it and find it was a one hour loan. Wtf is even the point of that?
I didn't realise you were back to uni rep, whatcha doing?

Just bought myself a Thomas The Tankengine Bike on eBay, nearly got sniped but hit back with 40 seconds to spare. Feels good man. Also my son will lose his shit when he opens it up on Christmas.

At least you noticed. I hired out a book for one night only to return it and find it was a one hour loan. Wtf is even the point of that?
I didn't realise you were back to uni rep, whatcha doing?

Shockingly I only have 3 more units of Management left to gain my Commerce degree, double major in Marketing (which was finished back in 2008 :/) and Management (basically to round it out and make it worthwhile in my current employment). Thankfully dropped Accounting fairly early when it became apparent that the line of work would lead to me expiring in a room with a bottle of scotch and an unloaded gun.
Just doing them off campus one at a time now that the wedding is over and done with, along with coping fairly well with being a parent.

Kritz

Banned
I finally got around to reading Nineteen Eightyfour recently. Man, good book. It, above all other books I've read recently (all like, three of them), reminded me of how much I regret not picking up reading.

So, I might as well ask for recommendations for what my next book should be. Assume that I have read no books in my life. Keep in mind I have zero attention span.

Also include a few sentences that sell your book to me, keeping in mind that I am a child and won't know what I want until I get it.

Fredescu

Have you read Hitchhikers Guide? The absurdist humour would be right up your alley. If you've seen the movie(s) you and think that spoiled you on it, you could try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (and the sequel The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul) by the same author.

If you feel like you want something serious like 1984 was, how about some Aldus Huxley?

Have you read Hitchhikers Guide? The absurdist humour would be right up your alley. If you've seen the movie(s) you and think that spoiled you on it, you could try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (and the sequel The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul) by the same author.

If you feel like you want something serious like 1984 was, how about some Aldus Huxley?
Huxley (Brave New World, specifically) would make a lovely contrast to Orwell. I read both of those close together and appreciated the different approaches to the same message very much.

Excellent suggestion. Listen to the man, Kritz.

Danoss

The radio series is excellent. Isn't better than reading.

This is not the radio series, but the audio book. This is the book read line by line by Stephen Fry. He is a funny man and was good friends with the author, I am not. He made me laugh even more that my mind caused me to when reading it. I would often have to pause it because I was laughing so hard, for a very long time.

Far Cry 2 has indeed aged but still handles well. Controls are still fine and visuals aren't too bad. Dynamic gameplay is still fantastic when you hit your marks. Highly recommend. 5/5 and the Complete Edition is on GOG for $10!

So, I might as well ask for recommendations for what my next book should be. Assume that I have read no books in my life. Keep in mind I have zero attention span.

Also include a few sentences that sell your book to me, keeping in mind that I am a child and won't know what I want until I get it.

Well I will just give you some Discworld recommendations to keep it hilarious and fun.

Reaper Man
Reaper-man-cover.jpg

What does Death do when he gets fired? Hilarity ensues! With sexy results ;)

Thief of Time
Thief-of-time.jpg

What is time! No matter. Aside from the end of existence.
:)
It is up to Persia of Prince to save the day! With sexy results ;)

The Last Continent
The-last-continent-1.jpg

Rincewind goes Aussie! Hilarity again ensues! With sexy results ;)

The Truth
The-truth-1.jpg

The invention of investigative journalism and the societal change that ensues! With sexy results ;)

Going Postal
Discworld_Postal.jpg

The epic tale of mail! And redemption! With sexy results ;)

Reaper Man is the second best DW novel after Small Gods. You have good taste.

Double post. Shit.

Hey yeah I forgot about Small Gods! Certainly a highly recommended piece of satire on religion. Found some of it seeping into the Discworld Noir game too.

The things I would do for a Discworld Noir 2

Omikron

Boardgame: Jaipur
Players: 2
Game time: ~60 mins (3 rounds, incl learning time)

8eaea78adbc711e18b3e1231380f90e0_7.jpg

Was pretty fun, super easy to learn, quick to play. Only had the one game but I can easily see my wife and I playing regular games of this switching between this and our other favourite at the moment, Lost Cities.

Need to search out more of these specifically designed 2 player games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom