• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

markot said:
No, but srsly, maybe I am racist >.> but ive noticed that its always young asian (Korean?) guys who do the shopping cart duty at super markets and shopping malls >.> or am I crazy? (You know, collecting them in parking lots, driving those tractor thingys, bring them back)
I've noticed it's always greek lookin dudes:/

markot

Banned
Maybe its just a Canberra thing >.<

Also, tilers tend to be asian too. (lots of my family are in construction so its true!, so when someone mentions it, you start taking notice!)

Also I think after 2 world wars, Germans are kinda fair game for at least another hundred years.

What's the best place to get a PSP 3000 if I'm in NSW? It seems like it will be difficult to get it through retail and I don't want to go through Ebay. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

jambo

Fuck "A Funk Odyssey" is a great album!

Also, tilers tend to be asian too. (lots of my family are in construction so its true!, so when someone mentions it, you start taking notice!)

Never met an Asian tiler. Met plenty of white, Greek and Italian ones though.

Want to buy a new monitor. Gonna be a pain if not impossible to get the model I want locally. Seems like it's discontinued (fuck you Samsung). A place in WA has a few in stock. Did some research and people seem very happy with the company, reliable, good customer service, etc. But I'm always wary about buying shit like monitors and hardware from interstate, not just for the shipping (insurance can fix that), but because if anything goes wrong I have to send it back. Had an awful experience with a Viewsonic many moons ago that had me send it back twice.

Any thoughts? Should I just do it?
This is the monitor I've got and it is fantastic. Was only $190 last November. If you find a monitor you love then definitely go for it, will make a huge difference in how much you enjoy your time in front of the computer.

worth mentioning this deal goes for 7 days. will buy a 120gb soon. damn it rep, stop making me spend money
Should grab the 256GB for the best value, it is meant to be the sweet spot performance-wise!

Apologies for the n00b question but if I bought this Asian model off play-asia would I have any issues in using it here? Would I have to buy a power adaptor?

Also why is the Asian version $100 cheaper than the Japanese counterpart?

You'd need to put a power cord into the box but it uses a really generic standard that the PS1/2/3 and pretty much every CD player I've ever come across use so you should have at least one laying around.

The Asian version is cheaper because that's just the way things are. Shit's expensive in Japan.

Deeku

You can just get one of those travel adaptor things to use the charger here.

Look around at local stores first, 200 bucks for psp seems a lot. I bought a 3000 a while back for around 150.

And unless you have a bunch of umd games to play, get a vita!

Danoss

This is the monitor I've got and it is fantastic. Was only $190 last November. If you find a monitor you love then definitely go for it, will make a huge difference in how much you enjoy your time in front of the computer.

I have the previous CFL model of that one, it's gorgeous. Calibrated, they're fantastic value for money for amateur photographers too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The main con I've heard about the Samsungs are that they use a glossy finish on their 120 monitors, so you can get a lot of reflection at times. The BenQs on the other hand are matte finish.

I've got a BenQ at the moment and yeah, the matte finish is quite nice. To be honest, I probably don't need to upgrade at all. But, you know, tax return.

Oh very nice. 23" seems like the sweet spot. I'm keen for a 120hz though. LCD blur is something I'm really sensitive to, and apparently that Samsung performs admirably.

Maybe I should do my tax too. I heard that MSI are short $500 or so at the moment...

Also my brain just twigged that Zaheed from Mass Effect 2 looks exactly like Steve Bisley. Why does my head operate on such a delay >_<

Alright! No more stupid late nights. Going to bed now so I can hedge trim the shit out of my garden tomorrow. After [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1yI6o6jIBA"]Loner [/URL]finishes again.

Kritz

Banned
So I made my own Twitter bot. Any time the word "fuck" is written in Steam chat, the bot will post it. I did intend the bot to just simply post everything I say on Steam, but turns out twitter APIs can't post more than 350 times an hour or more than like once every 15 seconds.

https://twitter.com/ThinkingAusGAF

It is probably not safe for work. Also, it does not include usernames of anyone who says anything for privacy reasons.

... but you can probably guess who's saying at least half of that. >_>

Choc is the 99%

Also amend the description to Steam AusGAF, not just regular AusGAF to avoid confusion.

10 o'clock is stupid late? Hahaha.

Mainly because I have stayed up until midnight every night this week even with work in the morning. Plus all the yard work and child rearing. Takes the energy out of you man! The days of staying up until 4am reading Wikipedia and drinking week old stale goon and eating week old stale bbq chicken pizza is a long ways away!

Salazar

Grazie, Danoss.

Quote for the abstract of a paper being presented at our postgrad conference.

How do you spend three or four years of your life thinking mostly about a topic like this ?

Does it integrate with the IRC bot for maximum cursing? How often does it tweet?

I might take this opportunity to pimp @AusGAF on Twitter. If you want to be notified of posts to AusGAF threads via Twitter just request to follow @AusGAF. Each post (or digest if 5+ in a 15 min period) includes a direct link that works on both desktop and mobile. Great for keeping up with AusGAF. If you don't want your posts appearing on the bot (it's a private account), just let me know. Not affiliated with @ThinkingAusGAF!

Kritz

Banned
I haven't introduced it to detecting IRC side profanities yet. But it'd be a trivial implementation.

It will tweet only once every minute, but can tweet up to twice a minute. (If you tweet at 1:54:59 and 1:55:21, for example, those are two separate minutes as far as I'm concerned) The list of words that tigger it are mostly profanities, but also some other novelty words such as "hahaha" and "cheese". It will pick up a specific word that NeoGAF doesn't like too much, but I will consider removing it if anyone is upset by it. Obviously it won't trigger on racial or homophobic words because nobody in AusGAF uses that language anyway, and even if they did I wouldn't promote it. (I am completely fine with the Choc word, though. Double standards? Sexism? Apathy? It's probably one of those things!)

I will consider making the list of triggered words modifiable by AusGAF as a whole, but probably won't bother.

Jader7777

Banned
Those girls in the mobile phone stands in the shopping centers are amazing. I trust them to apply screen protectors, replace broken screens, find suitable cases and accessories and they're the most asian asians I know.

I tried to put a screen protector on once. Bubbles. Oh God the bubbles.

Danoss

It will pick up a specific word that NeoGAF doesn't like too much, but I will consider removing it if anyone is upset by it.

Excellent, I am quite fond of that word. Only Americans and other prudes are offended by it. I won't accept cries from women saying that it's misogynistic, because dick, dickhead, prick, bell-end, tool, knob, putz, shmuck, and cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom