• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Sometimes I really wonder if you are a corporate shill, Rep

/edit OOOOH TOP OF THE PAGE! ADD YOURSELF TO THE AUSMAP! QUOTE TO SEE!

K rep, bought at GMG. If this game sucks I won't blame you because it was cheap on launch
Yay! I expect it to be worth $33 easily, especially since the PC version is getting a LOT of good things said about it. Seems to scale pretty well and even works on AMD cards!

I just found out Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs are different games. Heh.
Best of all Sleeping Dogs is out in only a few more days! Making the wait for Watch Dogs even easier.

vvvvv Hey I have cut back on my LOGS pimping haven't I!

Anyone checked out the Dark Souls PC thread? Apparently we're all entitled because we expect the game to run at a higher resolution than 1024x720...

Anyone checked out the Dark Souls PC thread? Apparently we're all entitled because we expect the game to run at a higher resolution than 1024x720...

Are Kinect gamers entitled for wanting to be able to control Steel Battalion without having seizures on the floor trying to avoid hitting the self destruct button?
The excuse that "they just dun no experience with PC building gaems!" is bullshit. If it is an inferior product they should charge an inferior price.
Also fuck people who throw the word entitled around like that, consumers keep these companies in business, if they shit the bed in such a manner that is unacceptable they should be callled out on it, otherwise they will have no idea they are performing their jobs at a level lower than required to KEEP THEIR JOBS IN THIS INDUSTRY.
I like Dark Souls but fuck, they need a reality check. Wanting to push it out the door is NOT an excuse to offer up a below par effort. Hold it back, spend enough time to bring it up to the standards of other PC offerings. Or better yet ask a company like Nixxes to help out so you can LEARN how to do it!

If it was a $20 re-release I wouldn't be as irritated. The Konami bullshit has raised the bile to the back of my throat and this is just another example of a company trying to maximise their profits for the least amount of effort possible while treating the customer as a fucking moron.

Danoss

VgdGM.png

Cause we all want to stretch this tiny-arse image to the size of our monitors. PC games were higher res than that over 10 years ago. It's not our fault their crippled console hardware somehow sets a low standard that they think we should adhere to.

hamchan

"Entitled", worst forum word.

Anyways I would have preferred them to not bother with PC at all and used the development time and money to make a 2nd DLC.

Anyways I would have preferred them to not bother with PC at all and used the development time and money to make a 2nd DLC.

The money they spent developing the port internally could have been spent outsourcing it to people who knew what they were doing! Just a really strange series of decisions by Namco. I appreciate From being honest with how poor it has turned out but something should have been done.

It's rendering internally at 1024x720, but you can output at whatever resolution you like (though it just resizes the 1024x720 output). Considering the game was targeted at consoles only, their engine (and expertise) is likely limited. They probably designed everything--textures, models, what have you--with this in mind and now they've designed themselves into a corner there's no easy way out of it.

Gamers wanted a PC port, they got it. It's no worse off than the console versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain
Eurogamer said:
On close inspection, it appears that Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions, regardless of which resolution has been set in the menus. The option provided is for output resolution only; a simple courtesy to allow the game to play on most monitors, but the image quality will always remain the same. In short, PC gamers will very much be getting the genuine console experience here, right down to the pixel.

jambo

We all understand that you can run whatever res you want, but I just find it crazy that they didn't get another dev house, one with more porting experience, to do it.

I can't think of another big game in the last 10 years that has used such low res rendering on PC.

It's rendering internally at 1024x720, but you can output at whatever resolution you like (though it just resizes the 1024x720 output). Considering the game was targeted at consoles only, their engine (and expertise) is likely limited. They probably designed everything--textures, models, what have you--with this in mind and now they've designed themselves into a corner there's no easy way out of it.

Gamers wanted a PC port, they got it. It's no worse off than the console versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

Textures/models are designed all the time with consoles in mind, why would that have any impact on upping the internal resolution? Play a Wii game on Dolphin and you have textures/models 'designed' for consoles outpiutting at a higher res and it looks phenomenal.

I disagree with the worse off than consoles statement, seeing as the game has GFWL and won't have the luxury of the internal consoles scaler or HDTV scaler (though you could play it on a HDTV). It's going to look downright awful on a 1440/1600p monitor.

Jintor

As someone pointed out in the thread, all commerce is a value proposition, and entitlement is simply thinking "Well, this shit ain't worth it"

I just find it crazy that they didn't get another dev house, one with more porting experience, to do it.
This is probably the biggest question and what confuses me, but then they've also said "we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case", so clearly the underestimated the difficulty.

the game has GFWL
It likely has GFWL because it's probably using Microsoft's existing infrastructure for the online components. If they'd taken out the bloodstains, invasions etc because they couldn't afford to build a third infrastructure gamers would've still complained.

Textures/models are designed all the time with consoles in mind, why would that have any impact on upping the internal resolution?
Because the team have zero PC experience, it's not a popular gaming platform at all in Japan so there's likely little experience easily available locally (at least affordable) so they would never even consider developing with different resolutions etc in mind. I don't think it's fair to use Dolphin as a comparison.

I'm not saying it's a good situation, but I clearly see the reasons behind From's choices and see why things have turned out the way they have. Unfortunately if PC gamers bail now, there will be no further PC ports anyway. Of course, if they do plonk down the cash From may be convinced they can turn out substandard products.

Of course, if they do plonk down the cash From may be convinced they can turn out substandard products.

That is their MO though. Most of their games are terrible in regards to the technical stuff, even when the actual game design itself is fantastic like in the Souls series.

Steel Battalion was a good indication of the FROM of old. Also Blighttown.

I f#cked up at work. Now going to a pub lunch to drown my sorrow

Convinced a contractor to bring us hot chocolate and a latte for morning tea, almost convinced another one to drop in some beers, another one is hopefully bringing in some cakes and muffins for afternoon tea. Today has just been a fucking bludge after a hectic week. I really need to eat/drink less.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Want to buy a new monitor. Gonna be a pain if not impossible to get the model I want locally. Seems like it's discontinued (fuck you Samsung). A place in WA has a few in stock. Did some research and people seem very happy with the company, reliable, good customer service, etc. But I'm always wary about buying shit like monitors and hardware from interstate, not just for the shipping (insurance can fix that), but because if anything goes wrong I have to send it back. Had an awful experience with a Viewsonic many moons ago that had me send it back twice.

Any thoughts? Should I just do it?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Want to buy a new monitor. Gonna be a pain if not impossible to get the model I want locally. Seems like it's discontinued (fuck you Samsung). A place in WA has a few in stock. Did some research and people seem very happy with the company, reliable, good customer service, etc. But I'm always wary about buying shit like monitors and hardware from interstate, not just for the shipping (insurance can fix that), but because if anything goes wrong I have to send it back. Had an awful experience with a Viewsonic many moons ago that had me send it back twice.

Any thoughts? Should I just do it?

What's the store? I could help you out with it if need be.

jambo

Do it.

That way I won't feel so bad about my upcoming 120 Hz monitor purchase. Just need to work out which one to get and whether I go with 24" or 27", all running 1920x1080.

Deeku

Strong winds in Sydney.
Yeah, was just gonna go out to grab something to eat but nup!

Also,

We've probably all done it: directed the parcel delivery to the office rather than home.

Companies, though, are starting to push back, appealing to staff not to jam the office mail room with personal packages.

It's not just the paperless office that's fallen by the wayside. Firms daily take delivery of an emporium of online purchases that employees find more convenient to direct to their workplaces than their homes.

For NAB's wealth division, that collection included televisions, shoes, wine, cosmetics, books, saucepans, handbags and even children's toys. All too much for the division's general manager Paul Carter.
Advertisement

“At least 60 per cent of all courier items currently received are not work-related, which equates to around 50 pieces of mail each day,” an exasperated Mr Carter told staff in an email. “This is unacceptable and I ask that all future personal items are directed to your home address.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/new-office-game-pass-on-parcels-20120810-23yur.html#ixzz237fClQRA
hope work doesn't change their mail policy too D:

sending a tv to your work is kinda pushing it though.. lol

Being at home and seeing GAF in its non-mobile form reminds me that this forum has avatars. Salazar's crush on that (half?) Korean girl is equal parts creepy and adorable. Is she famous?

In Sal's current avatar, if you're not looking too closely, she looks like she's taunting the camera man for having a small weiner.

EDIT: I've been at home sick for three days now and I'm going out of my mind with boredom :|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the store? I could help you out with it if need be.

If I buy, I'll probably do it via VTech Industries.

Do it.

That way I won't feel so bad about my upcoming 120 Hz monitor purchase. Just need to work out which one to get and whether I go with 24" or 27", all running 1920x1080.

Exactly what I'm buying! 23" 120Hz. S23A700D. I decided against 27" as the low PPI at the distance I sit from the monitor will shit me.

markot

Banned
This may sound racist but, I hate asians.

PSYCHE!

No, but srsly, maybe I am racist >.> but ive noticed that its always young asian (Korean?) guys who do the shopping cart duty at super markets and shopping malls >.> or am I crazy? (You know, collecting them in parking lots, driving those tractor thingys, bring them back)

jambo

Exactly what I'm buying! 23" 120Hz. S23A700D. I decided against 27" as the low PPI at the distance I sit from the monitor will shit me.

Haha, I was looking at that and the 750 last night, as well as some BenQs, ASUS and Alienware models.

I was thinking the same thing about the 27s. I actually used to have a 27.5" ViewSonic that was 1920x1200 and the PPI was pretty bad. So much better when I got my 30". I'll most likely end up going with a 23", just have to decide which make and model.

The main con I've heard about the Samsungs are that they use a glossy finish on their 120 monitors, so you can get a lot of reflection at times. The BenQs on the other hand are matte finish.

This may sound racist but, I hate asians.

PSYCHE!

No, but srsly, maybe I am racist >.> but ive noticed that its always young asian (Korean?) guys who do the shopping cart duty at super markets and shopping malls >.> or am I crazy? (You know, collecting them in parking lots, driving those tractor thingys, bring them back)

Always young fully sick wogs or Samoans in my area.

edit: also i fucking hate jQuery and Ajax. Theyre so good but so fucking stupid to code when you have an established application already.

It's also Commanderdeek that you're talking about. Salazar has temporarily changed to some bald dude for his avatar.
See! This is what happens when I'm not on GAF mobile!

Always fully sick wogs or Samoans in my area.

edit: also i fucking hate jQuery and Ajax. Theyre so good but so fucking stupid to code when you have an established application already.
Latinos are such a tiny minority in this country that I've only ever caught splash racism directed at other ethnic groups. I think I even got some anti-semitism the one time.

One of my exes thought I was Asian (specifically Filipino) for the first few weeks we were dating. Turns out, she has what they call "yellow fever" and had this huge fetish for dudes with squinty eyes, like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom