• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean, that's all home brands ever were.

Home brands don't inherently screw over farmers. Duopolies do.

I mean in Safeway they have expanded the lines that are branded Safeway rather than just have the Homebrand one that they have been doing for years. Finding a lot of items have both Safeway lines as well as Homebrand lines, usually with a slight premium on the Safeway brand. Was really interesting stuff to read about in terms of marketing psychology.

The rise of the Homebrand/Supermarket labels and their increased sales did indeed put the pressure on prices farmers/suppliers are offered, not a new thing though, can remember hearing whinging ever since I was a kid.

markot

Banned
If i was a company now competing with their new in store brands i would just boycott and do sweet deals with iga and smaller retailers.

Fredescu

I mean in Safeway they have expanded the lines that are branded Safeway rather than just have the Homebrand one that they have been doing for years. Finding a lot of items have both Safeway lines as well as Homebrand lines, usually with a slight premium on the Safeway brand. Was really interesting stuff to read about in terms of marketing psychology.
Markot was talking about home brand small 'h', which would include the Homebrand brand and the Woolworths/Safeway Select line. They are different products of course.

The rise of the Homebrand/Supermarket labels and their increased sales did indeed put the pressure on prices farmers/suppliers are offered, not a new thing though, can remember hearing whinging ever since I was a kid.
Every retailer wants to buy their stuff for cheaper. When there is only a choice of two retailers to sell your stuff to, the pressure is a lot more real. Sure it sucks when your regular buyer wants cheaper prices than you're used to and you have to renegotiate or contact a new buyer, but that's just business and news items quoting farmers whining about that is just ACA level emotional appeals. The duopoly is the problem. If you're really concerned, stop shopping at the big two.

senahorse

If i was a company now competing with their new in store brands i would just boycott and do sweet deals with iga and smaller retailers.

Aren't the smaller places more and more becoming a dying breed though with the big 2's aggressive push in recent times?

senahorse

Which is why i would do all i could to see more competition... Its pretty awful how it is now.

I agree with you but they just don't have the marketing sway to push back. With things like cheap/free home delivery and 8c/L off fuel (at certain times) I only see the big 2 getting bigger and bigger.

markot

Banned
The whole fuel thing is terrible too. I mean the discount is negligable, but now its pretty much just shell and caltex...

Fuel up at your local Apco! I think they get their fuel through Caltex though? Can't remember. They are usually the cheapest and nicest to talk to though.

Markot was talking about home brand small 'h', which would include the Homebrand brand and the Woolworths/Safeway Select line. They are different products of course.

Every retailer wants to buy their stuff for cheaper. When there is only a choice of two retailers to sell your stuff to, the pressure is a lot more real. Sure it sucks when your regular buyer wants cheaper prices than you're used to and you have to renegotiate or contact a new buyer, but that's just business and news items quoting farmers whining about that is just ACA level emotional appeals. The duopoly is the problem. If you're really concerned, stop shopping at the big two.

I assumed he was just talking about the Homebrand packaging to be honest :(

I'm not really concerned, in any case the majority of my food shopping is done at Aldi with treks to Safeway for clearance bakery items and Red Rock Deli. :)

Huge PAX update for those of you whining about passes.

As a first happy announcement for 2013, due to the huge demand from you guys we’ve added an additional hall to the already huge area PAX Australia will be taking up in the Melbourne Showgrounds.

With more space we can also offer extra tickets for each of the days, which means yes – there are now more Saturday passes available, but no doubt not for long!

WE BELIEVE IN SECOND CHANCES!

The whole fuel thing is terrible too. I mean the discount is negligable, but now its pretty much just shell and caltex...

Shell? They have been closing down service stations all over the place.

About to pour rain here, love that fucking smell.

Nice timing since there are a few hundred fire fighters out west towards the boarder, hope it helps out.

Got my first ever EMERGENCY BUSH FIRE WARNING message today. Pretty sure it was going to just pass 15 odd ks south of us rather than actually coming towards us (and might even be out by now) but bailed for the afternoon anyway.

Thinking it'd be best to move to the UK or somewhere where the weather is just regular miserable rather than give you cancer on a good day, burn you horribly to death on a bad one miserable.

Stackboy

Our son, concern trolling his recent move to a hospital closer to home.

Grats VKS, that would be a feeling unlike any other.

Been away from Gaf for about 2 weeks, reading the last 20 pages reminds me how wonderfully weird you guys are. Don't change.

Bought lots of games in the Steam sale, drank lots of beer, played lots of Halo 4 and BLOPS 2. Am I part of the problem if I am thinking about buying the BLOPS 2 season pass?

Anyone heading to PAX Aus want to swap facebooks, so we can better know each other before the festival, PM me. I am heaps friendly. Karn.

markot

Banned
More nvidia exclusive shit.... Boo urns. Boooooo!

I was hoping steam box would be a little thing to stream from computer to TV....

Kritz

Banned
FzXMx.png

did somebody say "programmer art"? No? I'll let myself out, then.

Does it still look like it was designed by the guys at Razer? Or are you just talking spec/feature-wise?

Has to be talking feature wise, even razer stuff looks better aestethically than the abomination they came up with.

I keep thinking about that harry potter simpsons bit with the frog/prince but instead it's a 360 controller and a ninja turtles lunch box

Yagharek

New Xperia Z looks good.

Ive had my xperia s for a few months now, but that one looks ace. Never personally been interested in a galaxy/iphone/htc whatever. Not sure sony ones do a great deal different until now, but the design has always been sharper imo. Hell, my old walkman has similar stylings to it now that I look at it.

I had the xperia arc last year. Great screen and camera, but their timescape os slapped onto android was laggy and it had serious ram issues. Battery life was horrendous as well.

I'm just waiting for the damned Nexus 4 to be in stock for AU.

New Xperia Z looks good.

That dude poured water all over his phone.

Only 5 inches? My 5.55" Note 2 would defecate all over it!
Full HD though hnnnnnnng

I had the xperia arc last year. Great screen and camera, but their timescape os slapped onto android was laggy and it had serious ram issues. Battery life was horrendous as well.

I'm just waiting for the damned Nexus 4 to be in stock for AU.

I was planning to get a Nexus 4. It's nice to plan things.
Ended up buying a Note 2 on Kogan after waiting for the damn Nexus too long.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
As much as I want a new phone since my iPhone 4 seems to be dying, I wouldn't mind one with tegra 4 in it. Android actually looked pretty darn smooth on that crazy nvidia gaming device.

Grats VKS, that would be a feeling unlike any other.

Been away from Gaf for about 2 weeks, reading the last 20 pages reminds me how wonderfully weird you guys are. Don't change.

Bought lots of games in the Steam sale, drank lots of beer, played lots of Halo 4 and BLOPS 2. Am I part of the problem if I am thinking about buying the BLOPS 2 season pass?

Anyone heading to PAX Aus want to swap facebooks, so we can better know each other before the festival, PM me. I am heaps friendly. Karn.

Blops2 on console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom