• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna throw in and say the Of Monsters And Men album is probably the best popular album this year. Followed by Taylor Swift's new one, which is surprisingly not bad at all.

edit: also what? people actually like like die antwoord? it literally hurts my head.

Shaneus

edit: also what? people actually like like die antwoord? it literally hurts my head.
You haven't experienced Die Antwoord until you've seen them perform Santa Claus, You Cunt live.

I haven't listened to much of their music outside of what they performed at Future last year (other than the odd funny video clip) but they're super talented and energetic. And fun.

Fredescu

Nice one. I was interested in hearing the sort of music being voted for, but specifically listening to the selected songs is probably a good idea too. Listening now!
I only sort of occasionally listen to Triple J, so I never really know what songs I'm hearing. Listening to the specific songs is helping me put names to faces so to speak. I recognise about half of these songs so far without ever having known who the artists were.

>_< shits me when one release version gets an awesome cover and the one I want has a shit one. Even the discs look way better!

Oh also Dungeon Crawl has Paper Mario 3DS for $37 shipped from Melbourne.

Gamertag? I play the blops 2 and the halo 4s occasionally on 360. Mine is SmokyMonk.
I'll try and remember to add you tonight, mine is reptilescorpio (shock!).

also what? people actually like like die antwoord? it literally hurts my head.
I find their stuff quirky and fun at times but I wouldn't sit and listen to a whole album.

I would be soooo happy if the gaming industry accepts and incorporates biometric inputs at a decent level.

I want an old school Resident Evil or Silent Hill with biometrics woven into the gameplay systems. Would be an amazing experience.

Yagharek

I would be soooo happy if the gaming industry accepts and incorporates biometric inputs at a decent level.

I want an old school Resident Evil or Silent Hill with biometrics woven into the gameplay systems. Would be an amazing experience.

It'd be good if they could employ a 'show don't tell' approach, and keep the monsters in their closets when the player is expecting them, then just as their pulse starts to calm down BAM.

Shaneus

I loved the little heart rate meter that was on the VMU in RE:CV. At least, I think it was that game.

Amnesia was already enough to make my pants need to go into the poopy washing load.

They don't need metrics to do that though...

To do it accurately rather than just educated predictions? Yes they do.

And if they throw something scary at you that doesn't register on your heart rate the game can adjust to make sure the next one is more scary.

Heck, this would be amazing for playtesting.
Trying different monsters in different rooms to see which gets the best response from a player.

Even other games would benefit from it, use biometrics during playtesting to gauge if a section of a game is getting boring to a player, without enough heart pumping moments.

Yagharek

That would be a challenge, as their US one is pathetic.

tbh they should change their name in the Australian one, since they are associating themselves with braindead morons.

kotaku are shit writers, getting told off by Kamiya is hilarious.
The content of the post, while pointless (Most Japanese gamers don't play on PC? No shit, do we really need another post about that?), was somewhat on the mark. However the title was freaking idiotic since he said he didn't know much about them because it's not something that interests him.

I wouldn't expect Jeff Minter to know which is his favourite Pokemon, either.

Edit: So good:

@pg_kamiya said:
Do you eat shit? RT @LukePlunkett: just curious, did you actually read the piece?

Edit 2: Can someone make a Twitter bot that retweets only 1/4 of Choc's tweets? Taken out of context since he usually posts in groups it'd be almost like reading @horse_ebooks

Kotaku US gets Kotaku AU a lot of additional traffic to pay the bills though.

Kamiya gets the shits. News at 11. He spends all his time on Twitter playing with trolls and the occasional nice gamer. lol at "stupid fucking idiot gaijin".

that vitality sensor thing is still coming right?

lol

Miyamoto: Iwy plz?
Iwata: (laughs)

Yagharek

The content of the post, while pointless (Most Japanese gamers don't play on PC? No shit, do we really need another post about that?), was somewhat on the mark. However the title was freaking idiotic since he said he didn't know much about them because it's not something that interests him.

The content is pretty pointless, it's the same as saying 'most Western gamers play Call of Duty'. Typical kotaku dribble.

The content is pretty pointless, it's the same as saying 'most Western gamers play Call of Duty'. Typical kotaku dribble.

I don't like to stick up for Kotaku but the article was basically to justify why Kamiya doesn't have games up on PC. Made sense, written by someone who lives in Japan and has some background on the external factors in those decisions.

It would be like an article explaining why moe games don't get wide releases outside of Japan

Also I don't think Kamiya has quite the grasp of English that people think he does, or he is just reading in a rage as he has misread a few tweets I just read (the King of Japan one especially).

The title is terrible though and what has turned it into a shitfight. Platinum aren't going to come out looking professional to other publishers/media though. Gamers love this shit though (if only they would buy more Platinum games :/).

Yagharek

I don't like to stick up for Kotaku but the article was basically to justify why Kamiya doesn't have games up on PC. Made sense, written by someone who lives in Japan and has some background on the external factors in those decisions.

It's just another simplistic look at Japanese games by western media with the same old schtick that has been running for a few years now. It's tired, lazy 'journalism' for clicks.

Jintor

I would love an in-depth investigative piece about the history behind PC non-adoption in Japan. Fuck. Maybe I'll write it. Meet me in three, four years. I'll have a book and everything.

Fredescu

mm ok its better now
fred just frontloaded the list

Yeah, Holy's selections are first and they're a bit odd but I couldn't be bothered curating, I wasted too much time just blindly adding links. To be fair to Holy I though that Fare Soldi song was pretty cool. Electronic funk.

And? I live in Australia and I know fuck all about various Aboriginal societies.

Yours is a non sequitur argument and you know it! :)

I was refering more to the 'western media' comment. I wasn't arguing anything as these are definitely the types of articles that appear on gaming websites every day, it is their bread and butter, how they keep their readers and make money.

Although I would expect you to possibly know more about Aboriginal societies if you lived in Aboriginal areas and worked in a field that was about Aboriginal societies. :)

When the article clearly asserts an 'us and them' mentality differentiating between Japanese and Western tastes, written for the western audience, it's a pretty easy jump to assume the writer is indeed western-raised.

I wasn't having a go, just letting you know the guy lives in Japan. The article was definitely written for the people wondering why we don't get more Japanese games on the PC over in the west.

Late lunch!

Some thoughts:

1) Getting up at 4am sucks arse, but I do like being able to leave work at around 3:30pm

2) It looks like I'm buying the next Pokémon game. I skipped BW2 because of burnout and DS.

3) I looked at the Nextbox rumour thread and sh*t be cray, yo. That thing is going to cost an arm and a leg if you want to avoid a contract and even then the cost will be squeezed out of you in other ways. Either that or Microsoft is going to be eating billions in losses. Yeesh. Dark times ahead for consoles.

jambo

Picked this up on my lunch break

A5oWPm.jpg

"Oh think twice, it's just another day for you, you and me in paradise."

3) I looked at the Nextbox rumour thread and sh*t be cray, yo. That thing is going to cost an arm and a leg if you want to avoid a contract and even then the cost will be squeezed out of you in other ways. Either that or Microsoft is going to be eating billions in losses. Yeesh. Dark times ahead for consoles.

In my gut I feel like Sony won't go with a huge loss leading console this time. Same with the next Xbox. I don't know why but it feels like they will take a small step forward and focus more on the extras rather than a super powerful console. I dunno, strange (and awesome) things happening in the maketplace right now with the rise of tablets/smartphones as well as 3D/Streaming/All-in-one solutions.

jambo

Same with the next Xbox. I don't know why but it feels like they will take a small step forward and focus more on the extras rather than a super powerful console. I dunno, strange (and awesome) things happening in the maketplace right now with the rise of tablets/smartphones as well as 3D/Streaming/All-in-one solutions.

So I take it you didn't see the thread about the 8 core, 8GB of RAM, AMD 8800 Nextbot dev kits?

Rezbit

So I take it you didn't see the thread about the 8 core, 8GB of RAM, AMD 8800 Nextbot dev kits?

That's essentially a high-end PC. I agree with Squirrel, if these specs are real it's going to be $599 US dollars all over again, unless WOO TWO YEAR CONTRACT WITH TOTAL COST $999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom