• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
20130109_192452farru.jpg
Latest delivery time from OzGameShop: 7 days, not bad!

Also, finally ordered The Matrix Trilogy on Blu Ray from Amazon UK for $14 posted ($16 posted by itself).
Also grabbed Prometheus, which I still haven't seen, on Blu Ray for $16 posted ($19 posted by itself).

The missus and I just bought 5 of numbered, limited edition Incubus vinyls. :)
Cost $130.

Which album? Science or Crow Left Of Murder?
Make Yourself/Morning View are still pretty good though

Shaneus

If I can only post one thing from that Kamiya thread so far, it would be this:
6nAx5.png

Lurve it.

Any hint of a schedule or anything you can announce? That is my still-valid excuse.
You live in Melbourne and have no kids. NO EXCUSE.

3 days of drunk reptilescorpio!

In Melbourne!
We should both do PAX absolutely wasted. They wouldn't knock you back if you're too drunk like pubs do, would they?

PS. I was bored and the idea of it made me giggle:
SzK4F.png

Are you on Vista Jintor? Get on the Win7 train!

Could have been anyone, but the one pattern Ive noticed is kotaku writers circle the wagons and protect their own each and every time (and there are many times) they fuck up. They have some serious group mentality of denying culpability for their 'post news first, think later' mentality and love to play the victim when they get called out for being wrong.

Even polygon hasn't fucked up that bad (yet - they will soon enough, knowing the calibre of their writers).
The bold makes me so fucking angry. The industry will NEVER improve if it is just a big circlejerk of positivity. If you make a mistake your colleague should call you out on it. Preferably it would be in private, but you DO NOT come out a say that people pointing out issues are crazy and incorrect if there is some truth to it. This is most of games media mind you, that was what I mostly got angry about in the whole Doritosgate thing.

It seems nzb.su and nzbs.org are both gone, amongst others. Not many left now.
Since NZBMatrix went down I have only been using search engines as I expect sites will be going down like dominos.
NZB.cc is my main, have to get used to trawling by file size but it picks up everything and I can grab what I want in seconds now.

Well, actually my main download source is still direct downloads from a blogroll now that .rar files are working fine again! Usenet works well for stuff older than 3 months though.

If I can only post one thing from that Kamiya thread so far, it would be this:
6nAx5.png

Lurve it.
It says "a" Japanese perspective, not that Kamiya is the leader of all Japan, he makes no sense sometimes >_<

We should both do PAX absolutely wasted. They wouldn't knock you back if you're too drunk like pubs do, would they?
I hide my drunkness quite well so as long as I can mask the beer breath we should be fine!

Yagharek

The bold makes me so fucking angry. The industry will NEVER improve if it is just a big circlejerk of positivity. If you make a mistake your colleague should call you out on it. Preferably it would be in private, but you DO NOT come out a say that people pointing out issues are crazy and incorrect if there is some truth to it. This is most of games media mind you, that was what I mostly got angry about in the whole Doritosgate thing.

Yesterday when there was an article doing the rounds on Angry Gamer's top 10 controversies, I noticed there was someone mentioning his 2010 VGA interview with geoff keighly. I watched the video, and AG asked keighly at a press conference with other journalists why there weren't more PC categories, like a mmo category. A fair question.

Keighly was rude, dismissive, finished with a smug 'thanks for playing' comment and was cheered on by whoops and hollers from other 'journalists' that you used to hear when at e3 someone like microsoft gives out free 360s, or kratos dismembers an elephant man's brain in seventeen graphic chunks.

It's that kind of smug, arrogant, abrasive and downright rude attitude from the (mostly american) games journalist cabal who love to assert their cultural superiority and write ad infinitum about the downfall of japanese games. They are creating their own narrative, making themselves out to be insiders and part of the news (a classic rule that should never be broken in real journalism) and it smacks of nothing but corruption, nepotism and fraud.

I can't wait til the next Wainwright-scale controversy. There needs to be a bigger target than just one person though. I don't think she is the problem, probably just one person out of hundreds who have never questioned the perception of how they operate. No, I want to see a big fish like Totilo or Keighly exposed for the kinds of disservice they are doing to gaming journalism. They are about as diametrically opposed from real gaming journalism (see Retro Gamer, Edge) as one could possibly be. Even Fox News would be embarrassed by their conduct and standards.

Didn't notice this before but Kotaku changed the article headline, "The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Not Interested In Valve and PC Gaming. That’s Common In Japan. [UPDATE]"

"UPDATE: The original headline for this story—"The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Clueless about Valve and PC Gaming"—has been changed. "Clueless" was a poor choice of words and we apologize for the negative connotation. That said, we appreciate Kamiya's colorful reaction to the story and hope that, now that we've changed the headline, those who couldn't get past that will be able to read the piece. - Stephen Totilo, Editor-in-Chief"

Dat snide "That's Common In Japan." lol

Yesterday when there was an article doing the rounds on Angry Gamer's top 10 controversies, I noticed there was someone mentioning his 2010 VGA interview with geoff keighly. I watched the video, and AG asked keighly at a press conference with other journalists why there weren't more PC categories, like a mmo category. A fair question.

Keighly was rude, dismissive, finished with a smug 'thanks for playing' comment and was cheered on by whoops and hollers from other 'journalists' that you used to hear when at e3 someone like microsoft gives out free 360s, or kratos dismembers an elephant man's brain in seventeen graphic chunks.

It's that kind of smug, arrogant, abrasive and downright rude attitude from the (mostly american) games journalist cabal who love to assert their cultural superiority and write ad infinitum about the downfall of japanese games. They are creating their own narrative, making themselves out to be insiders and part of the news (a classic rule that should never be broken in real journalism) and it smacks of nothing but corruption, nepotism and fraud.

I can't wait til the next Wainwright-scale controversy. There needs to be a bigger target than just one person though. I don't think she is the problem, probably just one person out of hundreds who have never questioned the perception of how they operate. No, I want to see a big fish like Totilo or Keighly exposed for the kinds of disservice they are doing to gaming journalism. They are about as diametrically opposed from real gaming journalism (see Retro Gamer, Edge) as one could possibly be. Even Fox News would be embarrassed by their conduct and standards.

Worst thing about that Angry Joe interview was it was pretty much his first ever interview, as just a dude doing video game reviews on a Youtube channel by himself, and that Keighley was the one who invited him for an interview and then told him their time was cut down. I think that Angry Joe guy handled it poorly but Keighley wasn't helping the situation at all. I watched his Hawken interview and it was much better, you can tell he has leant how to flow the interview better.

His Steel Battalion review has made me think about subscribing to his channel on Youtube despite having no fucking clue how or what that means to my future viewing processes.

His shtick can be annoying when he starts laying it on too thick. Also that list was really good!

Also what is RSS and how do I use it?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
How Dragons Dogma didn't get a PC release is baffling to me, out of all the Japanese publishers Capcom seemed to be the one that was "getting it" the most.
It's probably due to the online system the game uses. Capcom probably don't want to bother with creating servers specifically for the PC version.:p still holding out hope for a PC version with that recently announced expansion.

It seems nzb.su and nzbs.org are both gone, amongst others. Not many left now.

danoss i am now looking even more forward to the "pnp rpg" thing you plan/ned to dm, and even more forward to the prospect of something regular.
this past week has been me trying to figure out how i can keep myself occupied with only 1 hand for a few months and id love for this to be one of those ways

Yagharek

Didn't notice this before but Kotaku changed the article headline, "The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Not Interested In Valve and PC Gaming. That’s Common In Japan. [UPDATE]"

"UPDATE: The original headline for this story—"The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Clueless about Valve and PC Gaming"—has been changed. "Clueless" was a poor choice of words and we apologize for the negative connotation. That said, we appreciate Kamiya's colorful reaction to the story and hope that, now that we've changed the headline, those who couldn't get past that will be able to read the piece. - Stephen Totilo, Editor-in-Chief"

Hahaha, what a cowardly non-apology where they essentially say "hey sorry about calling you clueless (lol you really are) but here's a slightly less dumb headline instead about how you dont know a damn thing (like most people in japan ^-^) hyuck hycuk"

Kotaku continue to be a bunch of useless pile of shit, from the top down.

Worst thing about that Angry Joe interview was it was pretty much his first ever interview, as just a dude doing video game reviews on a Youtube channel by himself, and that Keighley was the one who invited him for an interview and then told him their time was cut down. I think that Angry Joe guy handled it poorly but Keighley wasn't helping the situation at all. I watched his Hawken interview and it was much better, you can tell he has leant how to flow the interview better.

His Steel Battalion review has made me think about subscribing to his channel on Youtube despite having no fucking clue how or what that means to my future viewing processes.

His shtick can be annoying when he starts laying it on too thick. Also that list was really good!

Also what is RSS and how do I use it?

I thought his schtick was annoying since its the first thing you get. After the first 15 seconds he is back to a tolerable volume and he is interesting to listen to. I might not agree with him on all counts, but at least he is genuine and honest - you are getting impressions and thoughts afterall (and hard work), not something posing as a professional journalist.

The fact that the vga interview was his first makes keighly's behaviour all the more despicable.

I like Stephen Totilo. Possibly more when he was at MTV, but he often seems to acknowledge poor work on Kotaku. Usually of course it's when people kick up a stink, but hey at least he is willing to put himself out there for his team, good or bad. I think he's capable of good work, just less so where he is now.

Rep, copy any RSS URL into the clipboard, and paste it into Google Reader and you'll see all stories from a site. Been using RSS in one form or another for years now.

Yagharek

I like Stephen Totilo. Possibly more when he was at MTV, but he often seems to acknowledge poor work on Kotaku. Usually of course it's when people kick up a stink, but hey at least he is willing to put himself out there for his team, good or bad.

He's in charge of kotaku; he's responsible for the shit they post. Like the editor of any newspaper, the buck stops with him. If he isn't going to hire competent writers, or if he is going to have a policy that encourages no-research clickbait troll headlines and fake apologies, he and his site can have no claim to credibility. Bunch of hacks.

He's made a number of positive changes since being in charge (like the review policy), but the place is always going to be the Gawker of video games. That's it's style. May as well get agitated at World Weekly News. I prefer to roll my eyes and say, "oh Kotaku."

Klepek worked with (under I think?) him at MTV and I think they were both great there (not such a fan of the current guy there) but Kotaku is sort of cramping his style. I had high hopes more change would've occurred when he joined, but I'm not surprised little has happened.

Yagharek

He's made a number of positive changes since being in charge (like the review policy), but the place is always going to be the Gawker of video games. That's it's style. May as well get agitated at World Weekly News. I prefer to roll my eyes and say, "oh Kotaku."

I take a vastly different tact. In the same sense I dont accept news.com.au as an acceptable standard for news reporting, I dont accept kotaku as even remotely acceptable or competent. I demand commentary that is either informed or intelligent, and kotaku are completely incapable of delivering either.

I'm fed the fuck up with their bullshit.

hamchan

Finished the Rurouni Kenshin movie. Perhaps the best manga/anime to live-action film ever made! They changed a lot of the plot but kept it good. The most impressive thing was the action, it actually looked like proper samurai fighting.

Shaneus

Didn't notice this before but Kotaku changed the article headline, "The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Not Interested In Valve and PC Gaming. That&#8217;s Common In Japan. [UPDATE]"

"UPDATE: The original headline for this story&#8212;"The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Clueless about Valve and PC Gaming"&#8212;has been changed. "Clueless" was a poor choice of words and we apologize for the negative connotation. That said, we appreciate Kamiya's colorful reaction to the story and hope that, now that we've changed the headline, those who couldn't get past that will be able to read the piece. - Stephen Totilo, Editor-in-Chief"

Fucking ridiculous. Didn't adjust the article at all, just the title... as if that was the thing that Kamiya took offense to.

Also, at least the Australian Kotaku feed didn't pick up the change:
FgGCS.png

y1mhp.png

I take a vastly different tact. In the same sense I dont accept news.com.au as an acceptable standard for news reporting, I dont accept kotaku as even remotely acceptable or competent. I demand commentary that is either informed or intelligent, and kotaku are completely incapable of delivering either.

I'm fed the fuck up with their bullshit.
In the very least, don't dismiss an article by Kirk Hamilton. He seems to be the sole shining light that Kotaku US has.

Rahk

Finished the Rurouni Kenshin movie. Perhaps the best manga/anime to live-action film ever made! They changed a lot of the plot but kept it good. The most impressive thing was the action, it actually looked like proper samurai fighting.
Good to hear. Downloaded it the other day but yet to watch.

Overtook a p plater doing 60 in an 80 zone. 30 seconds later, they came hooning past me on the wrong side of the road over double white lines, passengers out the window screaming their heads off. Good times.

Also, at least the Australian Kotaku feed didn't pick up the change:
y1mhp.png
Also the original article URL/permalink hadn't changed. Not that I expected it would. Asked Totilo over Twitter if they were going to change it and who writes the headlines, let's see if he responds...

Shaneus

Also the original article URL/permalink hadn't changed. Not that I expected it would. Asked Totilo over Twitter if they were going to change it and who writes the headlines, let's see if he responds...
Shh, it's probably better if you don't point it out at all.

Yagharek

So much drama over an inconsequential article. Don't like? Don't read.

It really does save your blood pressure man.

Hah, this is actually an outlet today thanks to dealing with real estate liars and council contractors. Doesn't change a thing about kotaku being on par with chartzzz for quality output.

Omikron

Hah, this is actually an outlet today thanks to dealing with real estate liars and council contractors. Doesn't change a thing about kotaku being on par with chartzzz for quality output.

Just letting you know your rants are bordering on Choc levels of internet rage. :)

The headline and article are offensive, as is the updated headline and fake apology.

What section of the article is offensive? I haven't read much of the new thread as it became a circlejerk quite quickly.

The only section I furrowed my brow at was this one
Again, this statement, while baffling to many in the Western world, is completely in line with the standard Japanese line of thinking. Japan is a country where CD rental is still a booming business despite that we live in a day and age where MP3 downloads are readily available.

This is because, by and large, Japanese people have had a distrust of purchasing things on the internet. This distrust is so commonplace you can go to your local convince store in Japan and pay cash for your Nintendo online game downloads so you don't need to give out any information online. Of course, as time has passed, Japanese people have been getting more conformable with buying online. A recent poll reported that now about 20% of their daily purchases are made online.
Music in Japan has shifted into the DD arena very heavily, even though CD sales are still a big deal over there. His stance that it is because of 'distrust' doesn't seem valid from anything I have heard of, it is more that 90% of DD of music is done on a mobile/smart phone rather than on the PC/tablet, while in Western societies such as ours, the UK and the US it is the other way around. The PC just isn't used the same way due to how the PC software/internet market has developed in Eastern/Western societies.

The rest of the article I was fine with. Overall it seemed like he was trying to put the Kamiya tweets in context for people who didn't like them.

Yagharek

Just letting you know your rants are bordering on Choc levels of internet rage. :)

kotaku are particularly dumb-dumb though.

What section of the article is offensive?

Its existence. "Oh, some japanese dev said something about steam. Let's generalise the whole country's gaming population - here's someone in Japan to write about it".

There was a **fantastic** series of articles called Kongetsu in Games TM which ran for years, and was written by Tim Rogers. I think James Mielke has since taken on the role. It never generalised - it wrote anecdotes about his experience in Japan and how different things were to his own expectations. Hell, half the time the articles never went anywhere but they never came off as vapid and asinine as kotaku does so easily.

PS+ is a bit unfair to us Aussies recently. Finally logged in to grab my freebies and see we got Gotham City Imposters (the f2p PC game by the husk of Monolith) and the PSP version of LEGO Batman :/

Huh, seems like you can still buy 007 Legends on AU PSN? $30 ATM. Added it to my cart but fuck buying that piece of shit.

oh god no, no, nooooooo tim rogers is the wooooorrrrrrrsttttt! such an annoying person! like..omg UGH, that guy! grrrrrrrrrrrr

Eh, he did some good work with You Am I but everyone I talked to who knows him says he is a huge cunt.

EDIT: Just saw Yag's edit. Funnily enough Rogers is a constant contributor to Kotaku for many years now!

Rezbit

At Falls down here he got so smashed that he couldn't perform, then apologized to the crowd and THEN started arguing with his band mates. Pretty classic.

But hey, his song with The Bamboos made my top 10 in the hottest 100! So smooth.

There was a **fantastic** series of articles called Kongetsu in Games TM which ran for years, and was written by Tim Rogers. I think James Mielke has since taken on the role. It never generalised - it wrote anecdotes about his experience in Japan and how different things were to his own expectations. Hell, half the time the articles never went anywhere but they never came off as vapid and asinine as kotaku does so easily.

I always remember the one about him getting a Game Boy Advance and how he would rate games by how many circuits of the train line he could play them for. Always enjoyed reading his stuff when I still bought Games TM.

Jintor

Woo, that was a lot less bios than I remembered. Formatted a flash drive, updated the SSD firmware, hopefully this thing won't explode every hour now.

Still trying to struggle through Octopussy. It just dawdles along. All unimportant and bland like. A true Cold War movie written by the common man on the street. Who is boring.

SwissLion

Could have been anyone, but the one pattern Ive noticed is kotaku writers circle the wagons and protect their own each and every time (and there are many times) they fuck up. They have some serious group mentality of denying culpability for their 'post news first, think later' mentality and love to play the victim when they get called out for being wrong.

Even polygon hasn't fucked up that bad (yet - they will soon enough, knowing the calibre of their writers).

They did have that ridiculous sensationalist stuff about Jason Rubin at THQ last year, which soured me on them pretty badly.

I do try not to hold Brian Crecente against them too much though, because I do like the McElroys.

Also, Hi AusGAF! Shan told me to sign up, so here I am! I know all her horrible secrets, so ask me anything I guess!

No guarantee of answers, though, as she already has a penchant for randomly punching me and I wouldn't necessarily want to encourage that any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom