• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

this old australian couple that babysat me after school when I was little taught me all about cricket, can't thank them enough!

I don't understand it and I never will!

It's like chilling with all my med student friends, they're always talking about some crazy stuff

I'd like to see SA bat again, put on a quick 500 runs, then bow NZ out for 45 on the final session of day 5.

Actually scratch my idea, that sounds a lot more fun for the ticketholders!
And the SA batsmens averages :)

NZ beaten by 800 runs.
Coach is found crying in a opium plantation.
McCullum "mysteriously" discovers he was actually born an Australian.
Ross Taylor spends the next 10 years playing for English county teams and the IPL, making millions in the process and returns to the NZC offices once a year to piss on the door just before midnight.

trinest

So ontop of the various fires surrounding my city, tonight we had a mini tornado (which seriously with winds of around 120km reported, if that shit was any longer there'd be an inland hurricane formed) which knocked down a few power lines which cause me to have no power until 9 (happened at 6) and also a few trees. Lots of random shit which flew off sheads and stuff in the area, like fibro sheets, bricks and tin sheets.

An interesting experience.

Yagharek

No such thing as a mini tornado. It's either a tornado or its not.

Or, it could have been a dust devil/willy willy.

No such thing as 'inland hurricanes' either. Supercell thunderstorm more likely.

[/captain pedantic]

trinest

No such thing as a mini tornado. It's either a tornado or its not.

Or, it could have been a dust devil/willy willy.

No such thing as 'inland hurricanes' either. Supercell thunderstorm more likely.

[/captain pedantic]

Well it behaved more like a hurricane in some respects. I just wanted something to describe it.

So ontop of the various fires surrounding my city, tonight we had a mini tornado (which seriously with winds of around 120km reported, if that shit was any longer there'd be an inland hurricane formed) which knocked down a few power lines which cause me to have no power until 9 (happened at 6) and also a few trees. Lots of random shit which flew off sheads and stuff in the area, like fibro sheets, bricks and tin sheets.

An interesting experience.

That sucks man, at least they got the power back up pretty quick. Hopefully they have the roads cleared for tomorrow.

Yagharek

Well it behaved more like a hurricane in some respects. I just wanted something to describe it.

Hurricanes/cyclones are 100s of kilometres across, consisting of a system of rotating thunderstorms about a low pressure system. They also form over water.

Thunderstorms, particularly nasty ones (I would guess you are in NE NSW or SE Qld?) can easily produce wind gusts over 100kph in downdrafts (aka microbursts), and they do produce tornados far more often than people assume in Australia.

Hurricanes/cyclones are 100s of kilometres across, consisting of a system of rotating thunderstorms about a low pressure system. They also form over water.

Thunderstorms, particularly nasty ones (I would guess you are in NE NSW or SE Qld?) can easily produce wind gusts over 100kph in downdrafts (aka microbursts), and they do produce tornados far more often than people assume in Australia.

Did you happen to be near this spectacle?
ebf7f55bd58f43e92f43c72da32bdb08_623x415.jpg

large.jpg

Didn't even hear about it until now :/

trinest

You and your science >_>

But yeah pretty much what I assume happened. It was just interesting how it happened so fast and moved some stuff crazy distances. One guy was driving around asking if anyone saw his trampoline :|

(but yeah NW Eastern NSW some weird weather with all the fires in the region (I looked at the NSW Fire map and pretty much the whole state had fires of some description in every area).

Yagharek

Did you happen to be near this spectacle?

Only about 1000km away :p

Never seen anything like that myself though. Worst storms Ive seen were hailstorms in sydney in 1989 and Perth in March 2010. A few mates have done some storm chasing and spotted tornadoes in Perth, and another mate told me he "just came to" after a very close lightning strike knocked him out and he woke up lying against his car.

You and your science >_>

But yeah pretty much what I assume happened. It was just interesting how it happened so fast and moved some stuff crazy distances. One guy was driving around asking if anyone saw his trampoline :|

Just giving you the right words to describe what you saw :)

Incidentally, do a google image search for microburst. They do come in wet and dry flavours, so you can get air outflow from a storm without any rain associated with it. At this time of year you can get nasty storms up in NE NSW/SE Qld, but also down the west coast of WA along trough lines. And yeah, damage can be nasty from them.

I *think* they can distinguish between whether a tornado did damage or not base on the direction of damage. Microbursts usually blow stuff all in one way. Tornadoes send shit in all directions.

trinest

Last year we had massive hail in December. Like Golf Ball size hail. I know you can get worse. But its interesting how drastic and weird the weather has been this season.

trinest

Incidentally, do a google image search for microburst. They do come in wet and dry flavours, so you can get air outflow from a storm without any rain associated with it. At this time of year you can get nasty storms up in NE NSW/SE Qld, but also down the west coast of WA along trough lines. And yeah, damage can be nasty from them.

I *think* they can distinguish between whether a tornado did damage or not base on the direction of damage. Microbursts usually blow stuff all in one way. Tornadoes send shit in all directions.

Yeah it might of been a microburst. It was very short, and most of the stuff does seem to head in a general direction.

I know about bad storms, its just been relatively tame for a long time where I live, and if it did get back it was just a regular old thunder storm. This year has had some interesting variations and types of storms. Heck there was an earthquake as well last year out near the dam :|

Is there something which causes colourisation? I wasn't outside during it, but someone was going on about green colorization in the sky. It was relatively "gold" I guess you could say cause it was at 6, but still very dark cloud cover wise.

Wasn't much rain as well, and it seems dry ones do need a little bit of water to fuck up the pressure of the clouds or something?

Looks simular to how last years hail storm was like. Just without the volume of water.

Yagharek

Is there something which causes colourisation? I wasn't outside during it, but someone was going on about green colorization in the sky. It was relatively "gold" I guess you could say cause it was at 6, but still very dark cloud cover wise.

Pretty sure that green is due to the refraction of light through ice (i.e hailstones). The sky was almost glowing green when we had a big hailstorm in Perth a few years ago. So yeah - hailstones suspended in air thanks to strong updrafts in the storm cells. Green light is the giveaway. If you see it, take cover and put your car in the garage!!!

The gold might just be sunlight reflecting because its like that right now where I am (or was around sunset). No hail around, thankfully.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This panic anxiety attack or whatever it is that I'm feeling while on a train is bullshit. It makes it impossible to get to work.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This panic anxiety attack or whatever it is that I'm feeling while on a train is bullshit. It makes it impossible to get to work.
They're fucked. I'm having them a lot at the moment. Just need to find something that makes you comfortable, and have a friend or two you can vent to when its happening if need be. The worst thing you can do is sit there alone. Just sms some one.

Omikron

They're fucked. I'm having them a lot at the moment. Just need to find something that makes you comfortable, and have a friend or two you can vent to when its happening if need be. The worst thing you can do is sit there alone. Just sms some one.

+1 for this suggestion.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Reading makes it worse though. I don't know if they are actually anxiety or panic attacks or what. I just get this really fucked up feeling that i'm going to pass out, things get light headed and all that.

I also have NO idea what i'm stressing about because I never stress. So this random panic stuff is just that, Totally fucking random. I have no idea what's triggering it.

I'm now on zolosomething, is that what you're taking holy? Maybe it will help calm me down if I don't die from the side effects haha.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Reading makes it worse though. I don't know if they are actually anxiety or panic attacks or what. I just get this really fucked up feeling that i'm going to pass out, things get light headed and all that.

I also have NO idea what i'm stressing about because I never stress. So this random panic stuff is just that, Totally fucking random. I have no idea what's triggering it.

I'm now on zolosomething, is that what you're taking holy? Maybe it will help calm me down if I don't die from the side effects haha.

zoloft yeah it is.

first weeks going to be shitty. just remember the meds are just there to help you get better.

what dosage are you on? if reading makes it worse dont read. you need something that gets you out of your head.

edit: will leave irc on should you need to chat just pm me on it

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
zoloft yeah it is.

first weeks going to be shitty. just remember the meds are just there to help you get better.

what dosage are you on? if reading makes it worse dont read. you need something that gets you out of your head.

Half a tablet per day.

I mostly tell myself in my head to calm down, relax, breath, think about nothing etc etc. It sorta works and then my mind kicks in again haha.

markot

Banned
Get a car and avoid the terrible people who use public transport!

Also maybe its your body telling you to quit your jerb!

Shaneus

I don't know if it's been recommended to you guys or not, but I'd highly recommend looking into mindfulness (which is a kind of meditation). It's helped massively with my ADHD, particularly when I used to find myself getting in little stupid anxiety loops every now and then. The medication will (probably... at least, in my experience, but different meds) help you get to a point where you can control it but I don't think they'll fix you completely. That's where mindfulness (and other things of that ilk) come into it.

Just don't think that the medication is all you need, though... I don't think there's any psychological disorder that drugs alone will fix without a bit of personal growth as well.

To echo what Holy mentioned below as well (sans me taking the piss) if you want to get in touch or go out to lunch or just hang out or whatever, you know where I work and can get in touch with me however you want to :)

BTW I find that when my mind gets overloaded with sensory input (which sounds like what might be happening on the train) I just listen to some music. Find a decent set of isolating headphones (I'd suggest something on or over-ear, buds can get annoying after a while) and just use that to tune out. In the very least, it'll reduce what's going into your head from a few hundred voices down to just one... and one you can control.

zoloft yeah it is.

edit: will leave irc on should you need to chat just pm me on it
"Hey, you don't like reading? Just type some stuff and sent it to me on this internet where you can read my reply."

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom