• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Why does GAF always disappoint me on the subject of flu shots? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510303 so much ignorance ITT.

What I'm getting from this is that regardless of your opinion of something, you will always recommend that someone play/watch/read something and that you're against any form of recommendation towards not doing so?
No no no! it depends on the criteria of whether it has objective merit or if I'm a minority in the opinion of not liking it. Of course if it has none of those things, like I'm seeing a film for the first time before anyone else, I'd be honest about it if it completely sucks shit or something. And I'm obviously not going recommend something I don't like, I'm just not going to try to deter someone from not experiencing it!
As Jase has said, most people loved Uncharted 3 in the OT, but their opinion is meaningless for me, compared to my enjoyment of it (ie very little). The MG Rising demo (well, really just the boss) is bad.
Fair point there, but I'm pretty sure everyone these days knows Uncharted 3 is a bad game anyway. Which brings me back to my point that MGR might be a really bad game and the hype is clouding everyone's judgment like Uncharted 3 did back when it was first released! I somehow doubt MGR is going get a backlash similar to Uncharted 3 though.

LULZ, due to rain Australia need 62 off just 30 balls, compared to 102 runs off 60 balls that was the target before the rain hit.

RRR goes from 10.2 up to 12.4 :/

Ningo

Just finished Deadlight, what a fantastic game.

Sure some of the voice work is crap and sometimes you are fighting the controls, i.e. jumping in the opposite direction of what you are telling it but putting that aside, that was awesome.

Love the visual style, absolutely gorgeous.

Might play through walking dead next as Deadlight has given me the itch, or mark of the ninja.

The increased run rate reflects the reduced risk of losing wickets, doesn't it?
It does yes, the more wickets in hand a team has the higher a target they will be set as they have more assets to throw at the run chase. Similar deal with working out a victory if a game is rained out, due to losing those 2 wickets we were about 15 runs behind par score if the game ended up rained out.

markot

Banned
Free eBook - Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind (The Sword of Truth #2) DRM Free

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/stone-tears-sword-truth-2/id537904898?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo=4
With Darken Rahl defeated, Richard and Kahlan head back to the Mud People to be married. As they wait for their wedding day to approach, they discover three Sisters of Light are pursuing Richard, intending to take him back to the Old World to be trained as a Wizard. Additionally, unbeknownst to Richard and Kahlan, the veil has been torn and the Stone of Tears has entered the world. According to prophecy, the only person who has a chance at closing the veil is the one bonded to the blade, the one born true.

jambo

I only played a little bit of the new SimCity but it looked very interesting.

It's clearly a different experience than that of SimCity 4, which is actually ok, as I can just play SimCity 4 if I want to. Plus the devs did mention that they might make larger cities as they get better at working with the GlassBox Engine.

Did you hate Sim City? Cause you should have. Everyone should have if brain having.
Just because I have a brain doesn't mean it works any more.

Put down some thoughts in the SimCity thread, but I like some of the streamlining and dislike the DRM, forced community bullshit, no terraforming, tiny plots, and where the hell did bridges and subways go?

One of the things I actually liked about SimCity 2000 (which is really the last one I played) was having to work with the terrain rather than having a dull, flat grid to work with.

Plus the devs did mention that they might make larger cities as they get better at working with the GlassBox Engine.
It's EA, don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. Also, they'll nickel and dime for anything they do release. Least you'll be able to play SimCity 4 in three years.

markot

Banned
I like lots of the changes. But small cities and awful drm make it a no go for me.

Also you know EA is gonna cram it with DLC like nothing else.

The devs are morans if they thought 'lets make an engine that cant utilise the one thing sim city is known for!' Whats that? CITIES!

jambo

Is Cities XL 2012 any good?

Also from what I can tell, the devs seemed to go at SC5 from the angle of getting all the interconnected stuff in the engine first. Almost all of the early footage I could find of the game was Maxis showing off the different systems.

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/01/oc...imits-in-simcity-are-a-performance-trade-off/

“The most important thing about SimCity is the depth and fidelity of the simulation underneath it,” Quigley says. “So it’s a matter of trade-offs. The game has to run smoothly on ordinary computers, and I decided that it’s better to make cities with dense activity and visual detail over cities that are sprawling, but low resolution and inert.”

GlassBox, he told me, is simulating each building, car and Sim independently. A city in the new game is built out of “layered systems” all of which are simulating together.

“Of course, I’d like to have it all! More space to build would be better!” he adds.

“Computers will get more powerful in the future, allowing us to create bigger cities, but getting the simulation right is fundamental.”

Stackboy

I should have listened to you Stackboy, SSX is fucking incredible. Such a fantastic follow up to the IP. Just pure joy.

Even when I get my ass handed to me my face is covered in a shit eating grin and I am happy to replay again and again.

Once you get to grips with everything it is really hard to fault the gameplay. Controls are perfect. Music is fantastic!

Because of the game going free for a little while I've had tons of friends try to challenge me. Good excuse to jump back into one of my fave games from last year. Though I think Borderlands 2 still takes the cake. 80 hours played, 2 characters and I still haven't finished it.

Saw Django last night. Might be my second favourite Tarantino movie. Went with a group of six. At first I was kind of chuckling at the movie with its whooshy zooms, great title card placement and silly camera angles. Eventually, one of my other friends started laughing with me at the dumb early scenes.

By the end of the movie, the entire audience was having a fit at the movie. It was fantastic. Usually I find Tassie cinema patrons to be really quiet. But the whole 20 people in the cinema were just going at it.

I won't spoil any of Django. But, the music choices were fanfuckingtastic, cinematography was beautiful, and the dialogue and tension were as good as any of Tarantino's other works. It was also by far the funniest Tarantino movie, in that it was really a Western-Comedy hybrid. It also had the advantage of following a single story, unlike Inglorious Basterds or Pulp Fiction. It was, in fact, similar to Kill Bill, yet a lot smarter, and with better pacing.

I went in with high expectations, because I love be some Tarantino. And I was so surprised the film beat them.

5/5 - passive entertainment reviews dot com
(that still isn't a website)

(Oh, favourite Tarantino movie is Reservoir Dogs.)

Is it crazy ultraviolent? My girlfriend wants to see it with me. She doesn't mind violence when there is a reason, cause or storyline behind it.

Is it crazy ultraviolent? My girlfriend wants to see it with me. She doesn't mind violence when there is a reason, cause or storyline behind it.
Saw it last night, there's a few violent scenes but they're pretty far between, and mostly near the end so you'll be more invested anyway.

Glad to see the use of a Wilhelm scream was from a guy falling from a horse.

Loved it, but wish it was a little more spaghetti western and less talky talk (I thought once DiCaprio showed up it dragged a little), but it's Tarantino and he did right by the movie and the genre. Also, he shouldn't try to act.

Dat shootout

Yagharek

Oooh, so now we have a diagram with PS4 specs on it, rather than a list.

Its funny looking through the thread with a couple of people trying to position themselves as soothsayers in possession of secret exclusive knowledge that they can't give specifics on. Just like that lying cousin you grew up with, take nothing they say seriously.

Saw it last night, there's a few violent scenes but they're pretty far between, and mostly near the end so you'll be more invested anyway.

Glad to see the use of a Wilhelm scream was from a guy falling from a horse.

Loved it, but wish it was a little more spaghetti western and less talky talk (I thought once DiCaprio showed up it dragged a little), but it's Tarantino and he did right by the movie and the genre. Also, he shouldn't try to act.

Dat shootout

Middle section tried to ramp up the tension but it didn't quite work, the dialogue and most of the acting was too fun to bring in the dread. Waltz played it fantastic in Candyland though.

The violence is taken to the nth degree but is fairly sparse. Loved when Django
blows Lara Lee halfway across the house. Could almost see a giant rope around her waist catapulting her out into the field lol. Very effective filmaking. The laughter that it brings wasn't because it was a black man shooting a white woman, it was just from how over the top it was.

Shaneus

Can someone here let me know what games this page mentions as being freebies? I can see the announcement on FB but the link itself is blocked.

Also, rep!!!!!

Also also, I think I want to see Django. Might be the sort of movie I go see by myself because none of my friends have heard anything about it :/ Is it a long'un?

markot

Banned
Can someone here let me know what games this page mentions as being freebies? I can see the announcement on FB but the link itself is blocked.

Also, rep!!!!!

Also also, I think I want to see Django. Might be the sort of movie I go see by myself because none of my friends have heard anything about it :/ Is it a long'un?

Leaving the Plus Service in February:
6th February: BioShock 2
6th February: Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
6th February: Cubixx HD
13th February: Jet Set Radio
20th February: Pinball Arcade

Entering the Plus Service in February:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony

Dead Space 3 is going on the blacklist. Allow mouse controls? Fucking hell.

Also, rep!!!!!

I already told you I can't watch them until I get home from work!

Also Mullen without a doubt has mental issues. Doesn't stop him being the best skater of all time, no contest.

DJango is 2.75 hours long.

Also, rep!!!!!

PS3 Sleepy Dogs, F1 Race stars, Quantum Conundrum
Vita Wipeout, Lumines

If you like Tarantino and you like 60s and 70s westerns, go see it. At 2h45m it's a bit long IMO, but there's not a tonne of filler there, either.

It's apparently influenced by Django and Mandingo, neither of which I've seen, but probably now will.

Shaneus

Leaving the Plus Service in February:
6th February: BioShock 2
6th February: Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
6th February: Cubixx HD
13th February: Jet Set Radio
20th February: Pinball Arcade

Entering the Plus Service in February:
6th February: Sleeping Dogs
6th February: Quantum Conundrum
6th February: F1 Race Stars
13th February: WipEout 2048
20th February: Lumines Electronic Symphony
Nice! Score on all accounts. I assume they're all the free games (and not just discounted ones)?

I already told you I can't watch them until I get home from work!

Also Mullen without a doubt has mental issues. Doesn't stop him being the best skater of all time, no contest.

DJango is 2.75 hours long.
I just saw your tweet, sorry :/ But yeah, there's something that's a bit "Beautiful Mind" about him, but some of that sounds like it might've come from his old man. You'll see in the doco what I mean.

Had no idea he invented the flatland ollie and the kick/heelflip, either.

I agree with you on him being the best skater of all time, though. Being able to do that much stuff without needing the momentum or guaranteed air of a vert ramp just boggles the mind. Really, really loved listen to him talk. Maybe he has ADHD or OCD or something (and that's why I could relate to him).

I just saw your tweet, sorry :/ But yeah, there's something that's a bit "Beautiful Mind" about him, but some of that sounds like it might've come from his old man. You'll see in the doco what I mean.

Had no idea he invented the flatland ollie and the kick/heelflip, either.

I agree with you on him being the best skater of all time, though. Being able to do that much stuff without needing the momentum or guaranteed air of a vert ramp just boggles the mind. Really, really loved listen to him talk. Maybe he has ADHD or OCD or something (and that's why I could relate to him).
I told you about the doco! I have already seen it! :/

He seems Autistic, but that is just me as an outsider going on a very small amount of information provided to me.

He invented the vast majority of street tricks, along with being the best in the world. Only recently have other skaters started to catch up to him.

Of all the things to jump on there, his choice of the word "allow" seems to be the least important.
It read like it was a big step to offer Mouselook. I haven't read that a developer has allowed mouse control since what, early 90's?

Yagharek

You know, I rag on EA being shit, and they are, but I have genuinely not seen a single game by them that has interested me in a good 3 or 4 years.

FedEx International Economy – $84.95

On a $20 camera mount. Cunts.

Also tried to order a shirt off an "artists" store and it mentioned $5euro worldwide shipping. Placed order, 10 minutes latter "sorry, Australia is to expensive, order canceled". CUNT.

Dead Man

You know, I rag on EA being shit, and they are, but I have genuinely not seen a single game by them that has interested me in a good 3 or 4 years.

Mirrors Edge was the last EA game I bought except fucking Madden (why can't I quit you?). A quick look at their wiki page shows no games for 2013 that are not sequels except Fuse which looks terrible.

Dragon Age? ME2? BF3? NFS:HS?
Ah, forgot NFS:HS. That was such a disappointment.

Yagharek

Dragon Age? ME2? BF3? NFS:HS?

Dragon Age was quite buggy, and by Bioware (tautology I guess), hence no interest.
ME2 was by Bioware.
BF3 I have about as much interest as in CoD, maybe a bit less since I tried a demo for one of the bad company games and it was poo.
NFS:HS? That's the closest they've come to interesting, but I prefer something like Outrun or Wipeout to be honest.

Last EA game I knowingly bought was Boom Blox.

Don't get me wrong - I have tried a few of them and this isn't an opinion born of ignorance. It is the result of many bad games like Fifa 08 through 11 (some demos in there), as well as their propensity to buy good studios and fuck them up. Or publish partner games, fuck them up, and try to claim the IP (see Oddworld Stranger).

Bunch of sneaky underhanded cunts.

Are you attempting to reinforce his point or refute it? I only see bad games there.

<insert burnsauce.gif here>

jambo

I thought people loved the first Dragon Age...

And Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was great fun. We had a stupidly good time when AusGAF played the MP. Cat and Mouse was hilarious.

And Battlefield 3 is a great multiplayer game, especially Armored Kill with it's giant maps and vehicle based combat. There are still plenty of Aussie servers and player as well.

Kritz

Banned
I might as well defend Mass Effect 2. Certainly no Mass Effect 1, but making space friends was awesome. The shooting was entertaining even if the game was primarily spent crouching under a chest-high wall. But y'all, Thane, Garrus, Mordin and Legion were all fun characters to tag along with. And The Illusive Man was a really, really good villain.

And then Mass Effect 3 happened.

Yagharek

Yagharek doesn't like Western games. This is not new news!

KOTOR1 was the last Bioware game I enjoyed.

I like good western games. Although my preferences tend to lie with games that followed from the C64/Amiga/Atari ST era/ethos, rather than the mid-90s PC scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom