• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

teekun

It read like it was a big step to offer Mouselook. I haven't read that a developer has allowed mouse control since what, early 90's?

Nah, I don't think that's what he was saying at all. He needed to mention that adding mouse and keyboard controls makes the game feel different to justify his dumb reasons for not going all-out on the port, but I think he just used allow to mean "you have the option to". It's a given with PC games, but it's definitely something that needs to be added when porting to the PC.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Looking back at it in hindsight, Dragon age really isn't a good game. Like at the start it draws you in with the really fucking awesome combat and engine, but then as you play further you realize the game doesn't take full advantage of it at all due to the awful sense of enemy variety, poor dungeons, poor itemization / loot, and of course the story and dialogue is standard generic bioware shit, I did find some of the characters to be entertaining though like alastair and shale.

Just wish we had a obsidian-quality rpg with dragon age combat engine, something on-par with NWN2 MOTB crossed with the dragon age UI and combat system would be like heaven to me.

Yagharek doesn't like Western games. This is not new news!

KOTOR1 was the last Bioware game I enjoyed.
Funny enough, when I first played KOTOR I was actually kind of disappointed in it, mainly because of how awful the combat was compared to the stuff I was growing up on like Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate 2. But it's amazing that their recent output has made it look much better than it really is.:p still dug the hell out of mass effect story and classic space opera setting though, just wish they combined it with good mechanics and actual role-playing elements though.
You know, I rag on EA being shit, and they are, but I have genuinely not seen a single game by them that has interested me in a good 3 or 4 years.
No interest in Alice Madness Returns? that's like a 7-quality game at best, but it has some stand-out moments that make it worth playing like namely all of chapter 4.

Shaneus

Funny enough, when I first played KOTOR I was actually kind of disappointed in it, mainly because of how awful the combat was compared to the stuff I was growing up on like Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate 2. But it's amazing that their recent output has made it look much better than it really is.:p still dug the hell out of mass effect story and classic space opera setting though, just wish they combined it with good mechanics and actual role-playing elements though.
If you haven't played it (being a youngin' and all) you really should play Star Control 2. You could just get The Ur-Quan Masters for free, but support the developers (I guess they receive some cashola?) and buy it from GOG. Hell, I'm so nuts about it, I even bought the 3DO manual and poster off eBay a short while ago just so I could frame the star map.

You have to play it with original music, though. Fuck redbook.

Yagharek

But... BF is a military FPS series.

That's kind of my point. I've played enough military themed fps games to know what I like or not, and BF excites me about as much as a punch in the balls or a lesson on motivational speaking for middle managers at a team building exercise.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If you haven't played it (being a youngin' and all) you really should play Star Control 2. You could just get The Ur-Quan Masters for free, but support the developers (I guess they receive some cashola?) and buy it from GOG. Hell, I'm so nuts about it, I even bought the 3DO manual and poster off eBay a short while ago just so I could frame the star map.

You have to play it with original music, though. Fuck redbook.

Haha, I know! that sounds like my dream game down to the core. Yet I haven't actually gotten around to it yet. On a another note have you played Space Rangers 2? I've heard that's basically a more modern star control 2 and people whom I know who have played it, shower it with very high praise. I actually bought it on STEAM a year or two ago. I'll probably play it before I get around to Star Control 2 since it's more modern and has prettier graphics (yeah I'm shallow :()

jambo

That's kind of my point. I've played enough military themed fps games to know what I like or not, and BF excites me about as much as a punch in the balls or a lesson on motivational speaking for middle managers at a team building exercise.

I wasn't really originally responding to you. My post about BF3 was responding to people saying that it was bad. Regardless of whether or not someone likes BF3, I would never call it bad.

Dragon Age? ME2? BF3? NFS:HS?
DA:O was great despite squandering the setup. It had a lot of awesome stuff in it so you ignored the repetition and some of the gamebreaking skills.
They fucked up by releasing a lazy fan mod as DA2 though

Mass Effect 2 was a great 3rd person cover shooter! The story was gone, the RPG elements were gone. The character interactions were vastly improved, the whole reason to play the game is for the great little blossoming of your relationships with these 3 dimensional people, some of the best work in the industry. Very well directed in terms of facial textures/animation along with the voice acting and camera setup.
The plot was meaningless and contradictory to the first game, as well as just stupid. STUPID.
They then went even more stupid with ME3 and tried to fall somewhere between the first 2 games in terms of 3 person action/RPG gameplay, which was okay but it just felt kinda mediocre in the end. Everything was meaningless. Your actions don't count for shit really. And the Star Child? What a lazy implementation! Use someone from the first game that died you stupid fucks! Build some emotional heft behind the damn scenes! Did you even play the previous games?!?

BF3 is a MP game sadly. Not for me. :(

High Stakes was decent. Not Hot Pursuit 1 level though. I remember having issues with it on my PC for some reason. Hot Pursuit 2 was pretty awesome though, looked amazeballs and the only real BIG issue was losing the cockpit view :(

Maybe if it wasnt just another military fps. Full Spectrum Warrior, incidentally, was incredible.
Yup! :)

Oh

256px-Pandemiclogo.svg.png

:(

220px-THQ_2000_logo.png

Kritz

Banned
On the topic of military shooters, I'm still kind of amazed that only one game has successfully pulled off Generation Kill: The Game. Because, you know, there's still heaps of potential in the genre. Unfortunately it's squandered by set pieces, weapon attachments and team deathmatch. I think there's a middle ground between simulation and deathmatch, and I would love more games try and find a place there.

Then again I'm a crazy person and I seem to live just as much for the slow, tension building parts of a game than I do for the high impact adrenalin rushes.

Danoss

Anyone into their e-readers, I just noticed that the Kindle Paperwhite is now available to purchase for Australians. I don't know when this happened, but thought I'd share in case anyone here was interested.

Dead Man

On the topic of military shooters, I'm still kind of amazed that only one game has successfully pulled off Generation Kill: The Game. Because, you know, there's still heaps of potential in the genre. Unfortunately it's squandered by set pieces, weapon attachments and team deathmatch. I think there's a middle ground between simulation and deathmatch, and I would love more games try and find a place there.

Then again I'm a crazy person and I seem to live just as much for the slow, tension building parts of a game than I do for the high impact adrenalin rushes.

If there was something with good squad AI, less scripting, no on scren prompts to press A for awesome, and a semi realistic feel between CODshit and ArmALOL I would be in. There isn't though.

Shaneus

So it turns out that when I rebooted my NAS yesterday, it didn't start my Usenet downloader in a suspended state, but in a running state. So when I checked why my browsing was fucked a little over an hour after I kicked it in the guts, I'd downloaded about 40gb worth of Justified and now have no peak quota until Friday :/

Sure, I have Justified (which is supposed to be a bit fucking awesome) but 64kbps for a couple of days :(

High Stakes was decent. Not Hot Pursuit 1 level though. I remember having issues with it on my PC for some reason. Hot Pursuit 2 was pretty awesome though, looked amazeballs and the only real BIG issue was losing the cockpit view :(
Lemme tell you about a game called Grid 2...

BTW I found a TED talk by Mullen that was filmed only last year. I think I'm perhaps a little obsessed with the guy, he fascinates and intrigues the fuck out of me.

Kritz

Banned
If there was something with good squad AI, less scripting, no on scren prompts to press A for awesome, and a semi realistic feel between CODshit and ArmALOL I would be in. There isn't though.

Shit, give me a game with the following:

Play as a sergeant / something similar.
Emphasis on dialogue.
Your squad drives through towns keeping the peace / looking out for militia.
Manage relations between subordinates, translators, villagers and your supervisors / commanders.
Occasional combat - militia in towns, machine guns and RPGs on roads, truck bombers.
Lots of dealing with unknowns. Is the village you're going into occupied? Does that civilian have a gun? Is the translator accurate and honest?

At this point it barely sounds like a shooter, but if they had it stay in the first person perspective, made it feel meaningful whenever you did bring out your gun, focus on the micro details of interacting with your squad as you're driving around, storming inside homes to find weapon or drug caches, having to deal with friendly fire and squadmates being wounded.

Again, give me Generation Kill: The Game.

nobody will ever make that :(

Sure, I have Justified (which is supposed to be a bit fucking awesome) but 64kbps for a couple of days :(

Welcome To My World

Not that bad usually :/

Not sure why but at about 6pm my internet shit itself, direct downloads went from 200KB/s to 10-40KB/s. This Carrie Diaries episode is taking for evvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaa.

Anyone into their e-readers, I just noticed that the Kindle Paperwhite is now available to purchase for Australians. I don't know when this happened, but thought I'd share in case anyone here was interested.
Just be careful. Have a bit of a read around, as I know they were experiencing QA issues towards the end of last year. Uneven/discoloured lighting, build quality, etc. It may be all fixed now but it's just something to keep in mind.

Gaming consoles have been banned in China since 2000???

Mind fucking blown!!!
The PS2 was powerful enough to guide missles, dontchyaknow?

Love love love the old keyboard style Kindles. Can pick them up on clearance from Safeway/Woolworths for $49 sometimes.

Also this should shock me but it really is just par for the course in such a selfish, corrupt world.

Back in 2006, Buma/Stemra approached a Dutch musician, Melchior Reitveldt, to write some music for an anti-piracy ad, with the strict proviso that this music would be played only and exclusively at a local film festival. Mr. Reitveldt wrote the music, it was played, he got paid and all was well.

But then, in 2007, he bought a Harry Potter DVD and to his surprise, there was his music in the anti-piracy ad at the beginning. His composition had been taken and used without his permission. In fact, it had been illegally used on dozens of movie DVDs, both in Holland and overseas. You probably have one at home right now.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea not to pay the guy off when this story first came to hand should be fired.

Heh, they tried several times but I guess he was wary that they would fuck him over some way so held out until the court case finally went in his favor, years later lol

Also it is amazing that he recorded the conversation with the dude who tried to fleece him.

At the time, Buma/Stemra promised to pay him €15,000 (£11.8k) and find out where exactly his music had been used -- on at least 70 different commercial DVDs. However, Rietveldt never received this list and continued to battle with the agency to get hold of it and the royalties he was owed.

In early 2012, Stemra offered Rietveldt a settlement of €60,000 (£47,000), but Rietveldt sued for the aforementioned larger amount. In June, the agency offered an additional €31,000 (£24,000), but the District Court has ruled that they need to pay the full amount requested by Rietveldt.

The case is made even murkier by the attempts in 2011 by Suma/Stemra board member Jochem Gerrits to persuade the composer to sign over the rights of his song to his own record label -- High Fashion Music. Gerrits allegedly claimed to be able to help the musician retrieve his royalities in return for representing the song on his own label, thus entitling him to 33 percent of Rietveldt's royalties.
Link

Dead Man

Indoor antennas - DO THEY WORK?

Will be buying a TV soon, so wondering if the indoor ones are good enough for clear HD reception.
I have some generic dick smith antenna, works fine for me. LOL, I just realised I spent over a grand on a TV and then I use a piece of shit antenna. Oh well, it works fine.
Shit, give me a game with the following:

Play as a sergeant / something similar.
Emphasis on dialogue.
Your squad drives through towns keeping the peace / looking out for militia.
Manage relations between subordinates, translators, villagers and your supervisors / commanders.
Occasional combat - militia in towns, machine guns and RPGs on roads, truck bombers.
Lots of dealing with unknowns. Is the village you're going into occupied? Does that civilian have a gun? Is the translator accurate and honest?

At this point it barely sounds like a shooter, but if they had it stay in the first person perspective, made it feel meaningful whenever you did bring out your gun, focus on the micro details of interacting with your squad as you're driving around, storming inside homes to find weapon or drug caches, having to deal with friendly fire and squadmates being wounded.

Again, give me Generation Kill: The Game.

nobody will ever make that :(

That sounds too much like actually being back in the army again! Bugger that. But yeah, it would be nice if there was a shooter with more depth.

Great, thanks guys. Builder wanted to charge $400 for the roof antenna, so I told them to GTFO. Can get roof antenna installed in 70 bucks, but if $25 indoor one works, why bother?

markot

Banned
Great, thanks guys. Builder wanted to charge $400 for the roof antenna, so I told them to GTFO. Can get roof antenna installed in 70 bucks, but if $25 indoor one works, why bother?

Depends how good reception is where you are. Do other people have outdoor antennas?

Rahk

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Just be careful. Have a bit of a read around, as I know they were experiencing QA issues towards the end of last year. Uneven/discoloured lighting, build quality, etc. It may be all fixed now but it's just something to keep in mind.
Not so awesome.

Danoss

$70 is a bargain to have a roof one installed. I wouldn't think the antenna to be of the best quality if that were the case, hell, quality cable and a junction box would heavily eat into that $70. Double that figure and I think you'll be about right and that's if you install it yourself, which isn't terribly difficult at all.

Poor weather will attenuate the signal to a degree. Depending on where you are situtated, line of sight and distance to the tower, will affect your signal quality. I've gotten a signal with a couple of strands out of a CAT5 cable before, so it's not demanding but easily disturbed.

$70 is a bargain to have a roof one installed. I wouldn't think the antenna to be of the best quality if that were the case, hell, quality cable and a junction box would heavily eat into that $70. Double that figure and I think you'll be about right and that's if you install it yourself, which isn't terribly difficult at all.

Poor weather will attenuate the signal to a degree. Depending on where you are situtated, line of sight and distance to the tower, will affect your signal quality. I've gotten a signal with a couple of strands out of a CAT5 cable before, so it's not demanding but easily disturbed.

Cable and box connections are already installed. Only the antenna was not included. That's why I didn't get it put in.

Shaneus

Welcome To My World

Not that bad usually :/

Not sure why but at about 6pm my internet shit itself, direct downloads went from 200KB/s to 10-40KB/s. This Carrie Diaries episode is taking for evvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaa.

Don't know if you caught it or not, but if you get a chance... watch the Mullen TED talk. I'm enamoured with the guy now. It feels weird.

PS. Justified is rad as shit. It's almost what I think would be like a modern-day Walker: Texas Ranger... except I've never watched it, so it's only a superficial comparison. But if you ever want TV shows (that don't air here) or something, I'd be happy to buy a HDD on your behalf load a stack for you. You have good taste and I'd be happy to oblige :)

Love love love the old keyboard style Kindles. Can pick them up on clearance from Safeway/Woolworths for $49 sometimes.

Also this should shock me but it really is just par for the course in such a selfish, corrupt world.
I'd love one of those, but am never in the right place or time when they're available. Do they make ones with a keyboard but enough storage to store, say, a couple of MP3s (literally a couple) and a few books AND can be jailbroken/hacked to read any kind of book/document? I know shit about them but if I can do that for ~$50, I'd probably start reading again. (hint: if you see one cheap and have $50 on you, I would not turn one down... if you'd oblige, of course!)

PS. Those guys sound like jerks, going by what you quoted of that article. The page itself is still loading for me :/

PPS. "Those guys" are the anti-piracy ad-making guys? What a pack of cunts.

Heh, they tried several times but I guess he was wary that they would fuck him over some way so held out until the court case finally went in his favor, years later lol

Also it is amazing that he recorded the conversation with the dude who tried to fleece him.

Link

Sorry I meant a proper hush money. I'm sure if the big studios knew, they could have paid him out of petty cash as the damage to the campaign can't be good.

My shoes are awesome.

pro skate shoes apparently?! They came with a how2skateboard dvd called "Skateboarding Explained" by Dan MacFarlane. He sounds so uninterested when explaining the tricks and fundamentals but they are very thorough and put a pretty big emphasis on learning the fundamentals, including skating goofy.

Danoss

Cable and box connections are already installed. Only the antenna was not included. That's why I didn't get it put in.

If that's the case, go ahead and slap an antenna on the roof, you'll be glad you did. It's only worthwhile settling for less if a roof-mounted antenna isn't an option.

Shaneus

My shoes are awesome.

pro skate shoes apparently?! They came with a how2skateboard dvd called "Skateboarding Explained" by Dan MacFarlane. He sounds so uninterested when explaining the tricks and fundamentals but they are very thorough and put a pretty big emphasis on learning the fundamentals, including skating goofy.
Fucking rad. Gimme! I think you posted a link before, but if you could again, I'd be most grateful.

Do they come in other colours (in the same style) as well?

PS. Justified is rad as shit. It's almost what I think would be like a modern-day Walker: Texas Ranger... except I've never watched it, so it's only a superficial comparison. But if you ever want TV shows (that don't air here) or something, I'd be happy to buy a HDD on your behalf load a stack for you. You have good taste and I'd be happy to oblige :)

Yeah it's pretty neat. Actually I'm heading down towards Portland very soon, and had plans to meet up with Rep. So rep, if you need any Tv shows, let me know :)

If that's the case, go ahead and slap an antenna on the roof, you'll be glad you did. It's only worthwhile settling for less if a roof-mounted antenna isn't an option.

I'll try one of the DSE indoor ones first. They have a return policy if it doesn't work.

Danoss

Total smoking ban proposed for Melbourne!

This is amazing, hope it goes through and more cities follow the example.

That sounds great, I'd hope to see it spread too. I think seeing this happen to such an extent is wishful thinking, but it'd be nice.

I cannot stand the acrid smell of cigarette smoke and it's at its worst when interrupting the relatively fresh outside air. It's vile walking behind someone who's smoking as you cop a face-full of it as they exhale. This is a great deal of hypocrisy coming from an ex-smoker, but it is truly revolting. The icing on the cake is the littering, so even if you don't have to breathe that shit in, you still have to look at the ugly remains.

Unrelated, I'm currently reading Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House. I popped on here for a quick break because it has somewhat unsettled me. I enjoy horror novels because they're usually a good bit of fun, but this, this novel has truly gotten under my skin like no novel ever has. As I was finishing off the last chapter, any little sound was setting me off; the house settling, wind chimes suddenly moving, the neighbours shed door closing, etc. Brilliant prose, enjoyable characters in a rich setting that you can imagine and feel like you are right there.

With horror, you have to be in the mood and want to be afraid. I always make sure to do that before diving in for maximum effect and enjoyment. She has certainly taken full advantage of that, the way she is delivering this is so very effective. She has successfully unnerved me enough I had to put the novel down to let myself calm down a bit before returning. Movies can have this effect on me if they're done well, but I never thought a novel could, and I am so happy to have been proven wrong.

I'd love one of those, but am never in the right place or time when they're available. Do they make ones with a keyboard but enough storage to store, say, a couple of MP3s (literally a couple) and a few books AND can be jailbroken/hacked to read any kind of book/document? I know shit about them but if I can do that for ~$50, I'd probably start reading again. (hint: if you see one cheap and have $50 on you, I would not turn one down... if you'd oblige, of course!)
Amazon still make and sell the old style Kindles, for how much longer is uncertain. The storage space on them is 4gig for the Keyboard model, I think. Books take up shit all (well under 1mb per book leaving lots of space for 2 MP3s... unless the MP3 is a 14 hour doof mix.

Fucking rad. Gimme! I think you posted a link before, but if you could again, I'd be most grateful.

Do they come in other colours (in the same style) as well?

From the site I got them from they came in either a white sort of creamy with back stripes or the black with white stripes like the photo I posted.

Here's the Mobile link, hopefully it automatically resolves to the desktop version: http://m.thefancy.com/things/270127749903948685/Adidas-Busenitz-Vulc

shipping was around $36. the shipping took 6 days or so from when it was actually shipped, the processing took about a week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom