• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

isoquant

Can't believe Brisbane is going to flood again :(

Dad's place got 1m of water through it last time. Here's hoping they are right when they predict it will be few metres lower this time.

Yagharek

Truest thing you have ever posted.

Also, my chocrage is rising, I have the borked US image search again.

Speaking of rage, there has been a LOT more fanboy bannings gaming side in the last day or two. I think a few people with hot headed tempers are popping up thanks to the leadup to next gen details.

Can't believe Brisbane is going to flood again :(

I can. Think of it this way: its been about long enough for the last floods to get all cleaned up and everyone (or most people) moving on with their lives. Murphy's Law would say this is the most likely time for a repeat, sadly.

It's pretty stunning to look at the sheer volume of water all along the coast too. Going to be an ugly cleanup for a lot of towns.

markot

Banned
Its flooding cause people got Katters party to ban those brave members who spoke out for gods truth.

OR what, its just a coincidence? haha, believe that and youll believe anything.

I bought a totally cool comic book detailed bag from rivers today. left it at Coles self checkout by accident. literally 30 seconds later went back and it was gone and not handed in. Aussie pride. not.

senahorse

Last week I was topping my pool up, today I have released about 10,000L so far. It's blowing a gale out there, suburbs surrounding me have little/no power. I have all the power in the world, well in my house, just poured a scotch and kicking back. Last time this happened out house flooded by about 2M, this place is 23M above sea level so all good :D

Omni

I regret ever enrolling into a Bachelor of Social Science (police studies) at uni. It's soooo dull (I have to do summer school). And police here aren't even hiring for several years...

Sooo need to move to the mainland.

Last week I was topping my pool up, today I have released about 10,000L so far. It's blowing a gale out there, suburbs surrounding me have little/no power. I have all the power in the world, well in my house, just poured a scotch and kicking back. Last time this happened out house flooded by about 2M, this place is 23M above sea level so all good :D

Did you move due to the previous flooding?

Yagharek

The first half of the film was phenomenally beautiful. In fact, the whole mystery-exploration-discovery phase was just so engrossing.

It all fell to shit at the first encounter with the macguffin. Upon thinking that over for a few seconds, that sounds remarkably like Avatar. It's a film that doesnt stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. Conversely, sci-fi films in recent years like District 9 and Moon in particular get better on repeat viewings.

markot

Banned
Yes, really.

239473_o.gif
22911_o.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So, finally got around to giving Dragons Dogma a serious play through now. Played around 4 to 5 hours so far. And it's awesome, like really awesome. The combat is so damn satisfying. I can't help but think of so many obvious things that would make the game better, while playing it though.:/ despite the awesome stuff it does really well, there's so much ROOM for improvement, definitely needs a next-gen sequel, oh and a PC version of dark arisen wouldn't hurt either! need dat 1080p 60fps.

Amazon bundle. $10 or $5 with the Editors Choice coupon. All separate Steamkeys.

Deadlight
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Iron Brigade
Mark of the Ninja
Toy Soldiers

So, here's last night's Kangaroo and stout pie
IMG_20130126_181124.jpg

Yummy, even tho the wife vetoed me putting emu in as well. How unaustralian of her :)
I present to you, the cure.
EmYsQpR.jpg
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

At least it wasn't a full donut, so there was a minor justification.
Of course! It should roll one direction as the entire thing has its weight distributed so evenly that it doesn't tip over >.>

Yeah, it is passable for the first bit, then it shits the bed.
The first half of the film was phenomenally beautiful. In fact, the whole mystery-exploration-discovery phase was just so engrossing.

It all fell to shit at the first encounter with the macguffin. Upon thinking that over for a few seconds, that sounds remarkably like Avatar. It's a film that doesnt stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. Conversely, sci-fi films in recent years like District 9 and Moon in particular get better on repeat viewings.

First half was really promising, very well paced and generally kept me interested, aside from the Prologue which was an awful addition to the movie which I assume Scott added to try and avoid structuring the movie like Alien.

Second half was fast paced, cut between simultaneous plot points way too much, illogical while still having some characters believable. It answered a lot more than I expected it too, probably too much to be honest. But it also opened up every can of worms that you could possible tangentially link to the subject matter and seemed to revel in that idea. A lot of the ideas behind the plot feel cribbed and forced.

Idris Elba was awesome and his character was awesome from start to finish. Can't say that about anyone else. David was good for the first half, scattershot for the second.

It was just really disappointing after that build up. Almost as if Scott wanted to tease everyone to the point of orgasm and then just "eh, what ever".

It wanted to be everything and nothing.

3/5 - Just watch the first half and turn it off. Actually, skip the first 4 minutes too.

Dead Man

I think part of the problem with Prometheus is that it is so slick visually you don't realise how stupid it is until it is too late. It is a classic beautiful bimbo.

Yagharek

I found myself re-thinking Prometheus over in my head a few days, trying to rationalise the lifecycle of the organisms and whatever the fuck the goo was. Looking at the Alien films, its interesting to see the lifecycle as a matter of egg -> facehugger -> chestburster -> adult xenomorph and presumably like ants, some of those become queens.

I can deal with that.

With Prometheus, the thing that I can't rationalise is the random nature of what the goo does. It seems to fuck with things in general. In Engineers it dissolves them and restructures their DNA. In humans it turns them into Hulk and in worms it turns them into that creature from The Abyss. Then apparently it turns into mini worms and eyeball parasites and if it ends up in a female human's womb it becomes an octopus and then it can face fuck engineers in order to produce a flood perfect form. I suspect that if the flood perfect form manages to become a queen it will end up writing screenplays whilst incubating the eggs, with the end results being a script preaching about divine purpose in tv shows that go nowhere.

It really is a case of Aliens Zero: Macguffin

Compare that to Looper where you can try and think through the internal logic of the film, wind up in a confused knot of timelines and get to the point where you throw your hands up in the air, say fuck it and realise it was funny enough to see Bruce Willis smash Robin in the head with bullion.

I think I enjoyed Looper for different reasons than I would have if I wasn't a parent.

It embraces the idea that the most powerful thing in the world can be a child.

markot

Banned
One of the funnest men ever issssssssssss

Graham Linehan

Big Train, Father Ted, Black Books and IT Crowd? All brilliant all the time.

hamchan

Looper:

Bruce Willis vs Joseph Gordan Levitt super gun showdown
turns into sappy story about protecting a potentially psychopathic kid that ruins the future.

And that is how you write a story with enough 'maybe' in it that the plot matters less than what you feel :)

Yes Looper is very good. It is a character driven movie, don't expect an action movie.

Gazunta

BERNBAUM'S BACK

I love how the first thing Rlan does with 10% left is post on AusGAF.

God damn this rain. I was meant to finally, finally finish construction of the man cave this weekend. :/

Dead Man

Well shit, now I look like the arsehole. They weren't very bad spoilers guys, I was just keeping tradition alive.

BERNBAUM'S BACK

I love how the first thing Rlan does with 10% left is post on AusGAF.

God damn this rain. I was meant to finally, finally finish construction of the man cave this weekend. :/

Rlan has his priorities right.

Kreunt

Banned
Looks like the entire Telstra network is down from about Rockhampton north (so about half of QLD) including all ISP's using the Telstra network.

Thank fuck I can tether off my Optus phone. my data is probably going to last about 3 minutes tho :/

Don't worry about Sal - he's got plenty of coats with which to keep himself dry.

Yeah, up north has been absolutely hammered. Let's hope that all the projections are way off (even thought they're quite low to begin with / lower than last time) and it suddenly clears up tomorrow.

Waking up to sun (and an intact, dry home) would be awesome.

Please?

It looks as though I won't be going in to work on Tuesday if those flood projections are right. Luckily, the little guy's hospital is still accessible, albeit by a circuitous route. We're quite lucky that we're in a relatively flood-resistant area, so the power's still on and stuff.

He's doing a lot better, by the way, even if he is still a few weeks away from coming home. He's gained half of his birthweight and has a little double chin now.

F69E5C80-C439-4351-9044-C502E86136E1-507-0000005A4BC4127C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom