• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
397439_472784659444854_222336234_n.jpg

it's going to be so itchy... but its soo awesome. i should go to the beach tomorrow to get a tan...

Omikron

It looks as though I won't be going in to work on Tuesday if those flood projections are right. Luckily, the little guy's hospital is still accessible, albeit by a circuitous route. We're quite lucky that we're in a relatively flood-resistant area, so the power's still on and stuff.

He's doing a lot better, by the way, even if he is still a few weeks away from coming home. He's gained half of his birthweight and has a little double chin now.

F69E5C80-C439-4351-9044-C502E86136E1-507-0000005A4BC4127C.jpg

Awesome VKS :D The day you get to take him home is going to be pretty amazing.

Gazunta

*looks at flood map*

*looks at photos of "flood-free" areas that are underwater*

Driving to work tomorrow is gonna be FUN FUN FUN.

Thanks for the awws guys. We won't be able to get to him today by the looks of things, unfortunately. He has plenty of milk in the fridge and the nurses know what they're doing, but it still sucks.

*looks at flood map*

*looks at photos of "flood-free" areas that are underwater*

Driving to work tomorrow is gonna be FUN FUN FUN.
I don't think I'll actually be able to get in to work tomorrow, especially if the trains aren't running.

Oh. This happened out the front of the house.

DE05521F-6667-46AE-95C7-CB54E1E3AC6E-771-000000E7742770F7.jpg

Thank goodness the rain is over here. I'm at no risk whatsoever of flooding, but I expect that the road are probably covered in fallen branches and trees. Really got a battering here with the wind last night.

Jintor

why would you be playing a platinum game for stealth?

i guess when I get the tv back i'll plug the internet into live and check it out

Yagharek

Please. Vanquish is easy, Ninja Gaiden was playable at least til I got distracted with whatever else was out at the time. MG Rising is just stupid with that fucking wolf. No indication you are damaging it except when it calls in reinforcements and the chainsaw blade is unstoppable even though you hit the parry buttons it fucking tells you to.

Shit demo, not bothering with the game. Back to MGS3.

Raxum

So it looks like I just moved to sydney at exactly the right time. The place I was living at before could be in one of the flood zones. By the way GAF, I now live in Sydney. Hopefully the weather here doesn't do as much damage as in QLD.

How is everyone in QLD doing anyway? Is everyone safe?

Shaneus

Has Hitman Absolution been cheaper than $20 before? I'm kinda tempted :/

PS. What platform was that on, Yags?

Holy shit! It's things like this that really put stuff into perspective, you know? Toughen the fuck up, Queensland!
Your avatar = perfect for that post.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The demo is, but dont bother. Shitty combat, broken parry mechanism, no stealth and its cheap as fuck.
Are you ignoring the fact that most of the people in the thread who played it loved the demo? saying don't bother is kind of disingenuous. Anyway I really liked the demo, I wasn't feeling the combat on my first play, but subsequent play-through's of it has cemented my love for it at this point. So buying it day-one. Also sounds like you just suck at parrying.:p one of the few complaints I have about the game at this point is the parrying window is too large, which makes it too easy parrying most of the attacks, hoping it's smaller on harder difficulties.

So you should only make recommendations based upon the general consensus? If I like a game but most people don't I shouldn't recommend it and conversely if I don't like a game but most people do I should still tell them to check it out?

That seems more inline with the meaning of the word disingenuous.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So you should only make recommendations based upon the general consensus? If I like a game but most people don't I shouldn't recommend it and conversely if I don't like a game but most people do I should still tell them to check it out?

That seems more inline with the meaning of the word disingenuous.

Eh, I've kind of got a good example for what I was trying to say. But let's take for example I watch a critically acclaimed film let's say 2001 : A Space Odyssey, and I absolutely hate it; but I'm not going say to everyone "Hey I just watched 2001 it sucks, don't bother watching it" because it's clearly something that might appeal to someone regardless of my personal subjective dislike for it, especially when I take in account the critical acclaim it gets outside my own personal opinion.:p

Hell, I've done that kind of thing before where I've watched a film I didn't like, then someone asks me about it directly, if I've recognized some obvious objective merit or at the very least if I don't and it exclusively has critical acclaim alone I usually say "Oh I didn't like the film, but you might like it, it's clearly a good film, just not for me" etc. Of course, for films which I think are clearly shite like let's say inception, I wouldn't even deter people from seeing that one myself :D

So recommend something if it garners enough critical acclaim regardless of your own opinion?

As an example (not the best, but it is one, nonetheless) I very, very, very much disliked the film Training Day. I try to not to use the word hate and I won't, but it came very close to that. After seeing it in the cinemas I felt like I'd paid money to be tortured by pure tripe coat shite. There wasn't an aspect of the film that I enjoyed beyond the fact that it did have an ending and I was pleased to see it.

However, the film won many, many awards; for best actor, best picture, best supporting actor and multiple nominations for soundtrack, directing, actress, etc.

I would in no way, regardless of the accolades that it has been awarded would ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever wish that sort of pain on someone by recommending someone watch that.

Look, I could understand your point if you were talking about a bona fide classics such as Orwell's 1984 or Orson Welles' Citizen Kane; these are works that have earned their respect and have maintained it over multiple decades. A new Metal Gear demo? I don't think it should be afforded the same respect that classics receive.

Regarding your edit: A lot of people like Inception. I think that falls into the same area that Yag not recommending Metal Gear falls into. Inception, while not my favourite film, was well shot and had high production values. Many people enjoyed the acting and the story, and the Academy saw fit to give it 4 awards. By your own rules, you should still insist that people see the film because it was met with critical and commercial success.

It seems like the issue is not with someone not recommending a widely praised product but more with someone not enjoying something that you love.

Yeah I never thought much of Training Day. Always make sure to make that opinion heard when someone mentions it.

Even voted it down on the User Score of Metacritic!

I wouldn't tell someone not to bother trying it though. Unless they are racist or something. In which case maybe they would like it anyway, I dunno, I'm not that big of a racist tbh.

EDIT: Also 0 Dark 30 was boring and tedious, which was disappointing since even Hurt Locker had plenty of sections that caught my breath.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It seems like the issue is not with someone not recommending a widely praised product but more with someone not enjoying something that you love.
Nah, it's not, my issue is more or less someone trying to deter someone from trying something they might enjoy. I can very much understand the complaints MGR is getting from a number of people. It's definitely not for everyone and I have a number of problems with the execution, and I'd admit for all we know, the game could be genuinely bad and my bias towards platinum games and MGS is clouding my judgement!
By your own rules, you should still insist that people see the film because it was met with critical and commercial success.
Oh did you misread my post? that's exactly what I said!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
<3 Grimes so much. I've been so lazy when it comes to new music in the past 2 years. But I loved the fuck out of that CD. Resonates so well with my personal taste even down to the aesthetics.

Cloud Nothing are pretty good from what I've heard of them too.

<3 Grimes so much. I've been so lazy when it comes to new music in the past 2 years. But I loved the fuck out of that CD. Resonates so well with my personal taste even down to the aesthetics.

She moved from Darkwave into Electropop with an incredible amount of balls. Handles everything herself and has her own unique sound and style as a result.

A lot of tunes reminds me of old 90's point and click adventure game soundtracks too :)

Very interested to see where she moves her music into next, the current sound is a result of touring so much and needing to create music that can connect between her up on stage and the audience, feeling maybe she go even further into the pop genre.

Yagharek

Are you ignoring the fact that most of the people in the thread who played it loved the demo? saying don't bother is kind of disingenuous. Anyway I really liked the demo, I wasn't feeling the combat on my first play, but subsequent play-through's of it has cemented my love for it at this point. So buying it day-one. Also sounds like you just suck at parrying.:p one of the few complaints I have about the game at this point is the parrying window is too large, which makes it too easy parrying most of the attacks, hoping it's smaller on harder difficulties.

As Jase has said, most people loved Uncharted 3 in the OT, but their opinion is meaningless for me, compared to my enjoyment of it (ie very little). The MG Rising demo (well, really just the boss) is bad.

Yagharek

Oh, I know it lives. At this stage I'm just waiting for a damn release date!!!

Also spent the past couple of hours playing NPC Pikmin. I don't know how tight time limits get later in the game, but I'm currently 9 days in with 10 parts. Or 10 with 11. I know you need 30, but I wonder if its going to be better to get up ahead by maybe 3 or 4 pieces in order to get the later ones. Forrest Navel is a tricky level to start with, bombs are difficult to come by.

Nah, it's not, my issue is more or less someone trying to deter someone from trying something they might enjoy. I can very much understand the complaints MGR is getting from a number of people. It's definitely not for everyone and I have a number of problems with the execution, and I'd admit for all we know, the game could be genuinely bad and my bias towards platinum games and MGS is clouding my judgement!
What I'm getting from this is that regardless of your opinion of something, you will always recommend that someone play/watch/read something and that you're against any form of recommendation towards not doing so?

I don't know, but when I hear someone talk about something I want to get an impression about if it's worth my time. I want to hear their informed opinion, backed up with reasoning and articulated in a way that helps me determine if it's something I may like. Ultimately, though, it's my own reasoning that determines if I do or don't consume media; I'm not going to dutifully not play a game because someone said so. No one should. The opposite is the same about someone telling me to buy, buy, buy.

But, it's also asinine to recommend that everyone watch and read everything because it's not right to deter someone from something they might end up liking. There's no real point in offering an opinion if it's going to end up with a "but you should try it anyway" summation at the end. Everything that you say when offering your opinion should, at the end, make it clear to me what you thought and whether you deemed it worth you time and allowing me to formulate my own idea of if it's for me. I'd prefer to not hear someone's negative views about a book only to have them say "worth a shot, though" at the end.

PS-When I'm being a jerk to someone I know and talking about something I didn't like I give them the "I hated it, it was shit, I had an atrocious time with it, I drove a nail through my head looking for the cells that contained all memories of it" review and end it with "but you might like it." This kind of reminds me of that.

Oh did you misread my post? that's exactly what I said!
Indeed I did. My apologies.

Axel & Pixel - breaks up really simplistic point & click puzzles with hard as fucking nails on-rails vehicle sections with an interesting art and animation style but nothing of note to keep you playing or reason to give a shit about the protagonist and his trusty companion.

2/5 - don't fucking bother, buy Time Gentlemen, Please! on Steam instead

800 allards on XBLA (paid 200 during Xmas sales), takes like 4 hours to finish

Also I see Laughlin got smashed in the cricket. Again. Unless Warner gets 100 we are toast.

Jintor

Sydney is supposedly being battered right now but I can't see out my window to tell. No power loss as far as I'm aware, probably the worst that will happen is I'll have to get the internet cables looked at later

Danoss

The pits regularly fill with water, it's not much of a concern. I find my internet often slows down with much less rain than we're currently experiencing.

I would say how it's currently performing, but that would just be inviting trouble.

Shaneus

Rep: That Grimes track is fucking ace. For some reason I thought she only did shit music, but she could well be the new Little Boots.

Also, I've just come off from watching that Bones Brigade autobiography... fucking incredible. I think Mullen quite possibly has some very small level of autism or something, because the way he talks with his hands and varies his voice levels and tones, there's something I find really engaging about it. Appreciate him all the more, too :)

And I found this out today, too... I'd never heard of him before, but Lewis Marnell (skater from Melbourne) died only a week or so ago :( It's a shame, because I've been watching some of his stuff today and there's something I really like about his style. Poor guy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom