• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

The entire UI for Vita is ridiculously well designed. It's such an inviting system, even with all the downloads and updates etc.

On to LBP...
It's not using the fucking XMB again? That alone is almost enough to sell me on it. Seriously.

What are the games setting you back? I seem to recall seeing Lumines on sale for around $20-25 or so, but I might be making that up. And does/would the 4gb memory card go a long way?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why the walking dead is goty.

- the animation, design, style on characters is horrible, it's distracting.
- the characters are mostly idiots I wish I could take an axe too.
- the tension is all forced. Which stops it from being intense and just makes it laughable.
- the save system is fucking idiotic. I want to save and play when I feel like it. Nope.
- the story hasn't been exciting at all. Maybe it gets better but since everything is forced, I don't see that happening.
- the point and click "gameplay" is really just you piss farting about for 20 minutes while you wait for the next cut scene of zomg forced choices!

Goty indeed.

Rahk

And does/would the 4gb memory card go a long way?
I think my 32GB card is almost full, although I've downloaded quite a few games. There really needs to be some higher capacity cards and a price drop. It will obviously depend on if you plan to buy games on PSN. Should be enough for downloading demos, smaller games and DLC, but won't last long at all if you plan to download retail releases.

edit: i think I heard some talk about the Ninja Gaiden port not being good but don't quote me, maybe ask about it in the Vita thread.
As far as I know it's a decent port but just runs at 30FPS. I have a copy, but haven't tried it out yet.

I want to get Shinobido 2, but waiting for a sale for now since I have so many other games to play.

I still need to re-buy Lumines since I sold mine to jint.
Wish I bought that on PSN. I guess it will just end up being the game that stays in my Vita after I finish my other retail games.

It's not using the fucking XMB again? That alone is almost enough to sell me on it. Seriously.

What are the games setting you back? I seem to recall seeing Lumines on sale for around $20-25 or so, but I might be making that up. And does/would the 4gb memory card go a long way?

It goes a long way if you're not planning on putting anything downloadable on it. If you solely planning on using the cart version for everything, and not chucking on any music or videos or anything else...you should be okay.

Omikron

Yep. I hate or am utterly uninterested in nearly every game you guys talk about in this thread. Shooters and sandboxes just aren't fun experiences for me. Also, racing and fighting games.

Lumines is great though.

Do you like any good games VKS? ;)

Also, I found this interesting...a summary of peer reviewed scientific articles re climate change.

http://www.desmogblog.com/2012/11/15/why-climate-deniers-have-no-credibility-science-one-pie-chart

A nice simple pie chart.

Powell-Science-Pie-Chart.png

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cookie - It's ok to dislike a game others like you know. :p

Oh for sure. I think for me though, it's not so much that I actually hate the game i'm playing when I say I hate it. Although in this case I somewhat mean it.

It's more me being frustrated with shitty game design. Stuff that seems so obviously bad but it gets through anyway. Of course that's still going to be a personal opinion on how things should be designed and implemented.

Like the save system seems to be the most obvious flaw in that entire game. I understand trying to force a player to keep on playing, looking at fences and wood, to get to the next save spot. But it isn't fun if you need to go and actually do shit. You then have to replay X amount of time just to get back to where you originally were.

I will continue to plough through it, because everyone seems to be jizzing on zombies. So I still want to see what all the fuss is about.

Fredescu

Not everyone has that amount of free time. Also episode 1 was kinda boring. I just finished 2 though and it was pretty good.

Telltale are terrible developers but have a few key staff who are top class. The writing, art design, animation and dialogue delivery make The Walking Dead rise up out of all the shit surrounding it.

Strange since the later seasons of Sam & Max were pretty well designed. Everything else has been clop though.

Jintor

I don't really get what you mean by 'the tension is all forced'

I mean it's a made up linear narrative story, of course the tension is forced

Fredescu

I don't really get what you mean by 'the tension is all forced'

I mean it's a made up linear narrative story, of course the tension is forced
I kind of get what he means. For example, in episode 1 when
you have to chose between saving Carley and saving Doug. I don't know shit about either of them, so there's nothing really to decide. This is more or less a completely random choice. But everything surrounding the choice, the music, the timer bar, the camera angle, sets this up as a big dramatic moment.
It felt like the game was trying hard to get me to feel something that I didn't.

I'm not saying it's all like that though, there were plenty of moments that made me feel tense or anxious about my decisions.

Omikron

I kind of get what he means. For example, in episode 1 when
you have to chose between saving Carley and saving Doug. I don't know shit about either of them, so there's nothing really to decide. This is more or less a completely random choice. But everything surrounding the choice, the music, the timer bar, the camera angle, sets this up as a big dramatic moment.
It felt like the game was trying hard to get me to feel something that I didn't.

I'm not saying it's all like that though, there were plenty of moments that made me feel tense or anxious about my decisions.

but that is kinda the point, the game is putting you in the situation where knowing little about 2 people, how do you pick which one to save? I went for the one with the gun skills. Because, gun skills.

save the chick with a gun or the nerdy dude. Mainly just to see if you connect more with a male nerd than the possible procreation opportunity. Also she is currently wielding a gun which may be lost if you don't save her quickly, a gun is really handy in the zombieland!

Fredescu

but that is kinda the point, the game is putting you in the situation where knowing little about 2 people, how do you pick which one to save? I went for the one with the gun skills. Because, gun skills.
I know that's the point, but point here is that it's not as "tense" as the music etc would have you believe, and the timer bar turns it into a random choice more than a considered one. It creates a disconnect between what I'm feeling and what it seems like the game thinks I should be feeling.

Omikron

I know that's the point, but point here is that it's not as "tense" as the music etc would have you believe, and the timer bar turns it into a random choice more than a considered one. It creates a disconnect between what I'm feeling and what it seems like the game thinks I should be feeling.

You don't have the time. The zombies are coming.

Fredescu

Fair enough, I disagree.
We're not really disagreeing, we just had differing emotional responses. Unless you're disagreeing that removing the timer bar would fix it for me, which is fair enough, I'm not really committed to that idea. Just a theory.

Omikron

We're not really disagreeing, we just had differing emotional responses. Unless you're disagreeing that removing the timer bar would fix it for me, which is fair enough, I'm not really committed to that idea. Just a theory.

Yeah, disagreeing on the removal of the timer.

I think being allowed 'infinite' time in those sort of portions would have created a weird dynamic that would pull you out fo the game more than the fact you are being forced into a snap decision.

Yeah, disagreeing on the removal of the timer.

I think being allowed 'infinite' time in those sort of portions would have created a weird dynamic that would pull you out fo the game more than the fact you are being forced into a snap decision.

Not having played the game, so I'm probably missing the whole argument here. But would it have been better to remove an artificial timer but you have to make the decision before zombies get in. So the zombies breaking in are the timer in a way? (It's entirely possible this is in fact the existing mechanic. If so completely ignore me)

Not having played the game, so I'm probably missing the whole argument here. But would it have been better to remove an artificial timer but you have to make the decision before zombies get in. So the zombies breaking in are the timer in a way? (It's entirely possible this is in fact the existing mechanic. If so completely ignore me)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried it and found that players didn't realise they were on a timer until it was too late.

Yagharek

Not using xmb. It's got a bubble icon menu which I guess can be moved around like apps on android by touching, holding then dragging.

Events like obtaining a trophy, download progress and management are via a pop up menu from a thought bubble icon in the top right corner.

Games are loaded by pressing their bubble which sends you to a cover page where you can update it, read manuals, go to dlc or be advised of other support like Twitter pages for the developer.

Games can be paused/return to dash via the PS button which suspends the game, so you can check menus and if you want to keep going you swipe back to the game's splash page and select continue. If you want to quit you peel it away like fingering a page turn.

It's all very intuitive and fast/responsive too.

Game prices are about 10-15 for psn stuff and 25-60 for carts. I've found most I'm after for 35-45 generally. And launch games like lumines or everybody's golf for 25.

Omikron

I think what cods said works. As for most of the other timers in the game, they are generally showing you how long you have before the end of the current speaking characters part ends, so you have to have your speech decision done by then. Which makes sense.

Yagharek

Also I got 32GB card so I dont know how 4 would do. 16 is apparently quite good.

For reference the uncharted and gravity rush downloads were combined around 3GB or more.

Shaneus

Yep. I hate or am utterly uninterested in nearly every game you guys talk about in this thread. Shooters and sandboxes just aren't fun experiences for me. Also, racing and fighting games.

Lumines is great though.
More Lumines love. I like it :)
I'm not big on portable racers in general as well, but I'll probably make an exception for Wipeout and *maybe* the ones that were on PSP (should that be a viable option).

I think my 32GB card is almost full, although I've downloaded quite a few games. There really needs to be some higher capacity cards and a price drop. It will obviously depend on if you plan to buy games on PSN. Should be enough for downloading demos, smaller games and DLC, but won't last long at all if you plan to download retail releases.

Wish I bought that on PSN. I guess it will just end up being the game that stays in my Vita after I finish my other retail games.
Awesome amount of info there... thanks!
I'm thinking of jailbreaking, so I'm guessing that I'll probably need something of a similar size as well. Especially if they get full, unrestricted PSP emulation working perfectly (for ALL games, not just those on PSN). How much was the 32gb? Any sign of third party cards?

And is Electronic Symphony on PSN? That'd save me hunting for it retail.

It goes a long way if you're not planning on putting anything downloadable on it. If you solely planning on using the cart version for everything, and not chucking on any music or videos or anything else...you should be okay.
Awesome. Like I mentioned, if CFW becomes a real thing on there, even if only to play PSP games, I'll be filling that thing up pretty quickly (Lumines 1+2, Burnout, Outrun, emulators, Wipeouts, Every Extend).

BTW If anyone here has a link to a summary of where CFW is right now, I'd be appreciative. The OT here for it fills my mind full of fuck.

PS. Thanks for that, Yags. Covers most of the stuff I asked in this post you bastard :p

Was just a promo for the morning show on Triple J this morning, Tom & Alex from 6am to 9am (as the Mayan prophecy was meant to kick in at 9am?).

The Mayan prophecy (which is actually just the end of the cycle, not the end of the world) is December 20. The triple j thing was just the last day of their show for the year

Rahk

Awesome amount of info there... thanks!
I'm thinking of jailbreaking, so I'm guessing that I'll probably need something of a similar size as well. Especially if they get full, unrestricted PSP emulation working perfectly (for ALL games, not just those on PSN). How much was the 32gb? Any sign of third party cards?

And is Electronic Symphony on PSN? That'd save me hunting for it retail.

Awesome. Like I mentioned, if CFW becomes a real thing on there, even if only to play PSP games, I'll be filling that thing up pretty quickly (Lumines 1+2, Burnout, Outrun, emulators, Wipeouts, Every Extend).

BTW If anyone here has a link to a summary of where CFW is right now, I'd be appreciative.
My 32GB was about $90-100 when I imported with the Vita, might be a bit more expensive here. I haven't heard anything about third party cards.

You can probably find ES cheaper at retail since I don't think they've dropped the price on PSN at all, but it's there along with all the other Vita games.

Not sure where CFW is at right now.

How do you disable the HUD? Link?

Shit, the Steam forums (where I got the file from) is currently down, as soon as it comes back online I'll post the link.

Essentially someone has already hex-edited the FC3.dll and all you have to do is replace your current one with the downloaded file, though it's a good idea to do a back up.

Yagharek

Geez november npd is depressing.

Everything bar DS is down. 360 down 25% from last november at 1.26M. But no other system is over 550k. 3DS down 30%. Wii down 51%. Wii U sold out but software flat. PS3 might have done around 500-600k.

This generation is petering out.

PS3 160GB HDD and GT5 for $248 at Big W
Pilotwings 3DS for $19
Sonic Generations 3DS for $24

Everything bar DS is down. 360 down 25% from last november at 1.26M. But no other system is over 550k. 3DS down 30%. Wii down 51%. Wii U sold out but software flat. PS3 might have done around 500-600k.

Sony Brawl super bomba too, 70k.

Yagharek

It's a weird model where only new IP sells at the start of a gen when everyone is sick of the old IP from last gen. But then as a gen gets old, everyone buys only old stuff and new IP dies in a fire.

Last gen it was NFS/GTA/WWE, this gen its CoD/AC/Fifa and anything else is pretty much doomed.

I lay the problem squarely at the feet of the big publishers and their inevitably massive first sequel - they are what suck the oxygen away from everyone else.

Due to the length of this generation, surely we're just seeing the effects of a saturation point being met?

If you haven't bought a console by now, one must ask what you're actually waiting for. You're probably not waiting for a game, you're either re-buying a console because your last one broke or is getting reaaaallly old or you're waiting for a price point that won't be met until just before the next iterations come out.

Yagharek

Aside from Wii U though, no-one knows what and when stuff is coming next. If 360 has just had a price drop there is a huge new market to tap into, who won't be buying expensive next gen systems for years. 3DS is new and obviously struggling in the US to emulate what DS did. Wii has just died this past year.

It makes me wonder if the industry fares better with one dominant system (eg PS2) and everything else far behind. PS2 at least kept selling well for years with a lot of unique titles like Okami in its twilight years.

trinest

I say the more consoles start doing unique things the more people will feel they need more then just one. I guess.

So today is my birthday, 21. Mm,.

hamchan

It's a weird model where only new IP sells at the start of a gen when everyone is sick of the old IP from last gen. But then as a gen gets old, everyone buys only old stuff and new IP dies in a fire.

Last gen it was NFS/GTA/WWE, this gen its CoD/AC/Fifa and anything else is pretty much doomed.

I lay the problem squarely at the feet of the big publishers and their inevitably massive first sequel - they are what suck the oxygen away from everyone else.

I think it's more that PS All-Stars looks incredibly bland, also has a bad roster and weird Sony marketing.

Dishonored is also a new IP and that sold well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom