• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well shit, just found out that a close female friend from highschool & uni jumped off a bridge in Melbourne this morning. Never heard anything but positive energy out of her in my entire life. :(

If you are feeling down make sure to talk to someone about it!

You know what Omi, I dont care since my Wizards Edition of Ni No Kuni just came in. Picking it up in half an hour.

Fuck you, you lucky bugger!

What's the cheapest place to buy xbox live? (Know it comes up every now and again but I never remember)

How quickly they e-mail the code is also part of my consideration.

isoquant

Gaf, help!

As of about 8pm last night, I have been unable to access any news sites.

My internet is working perfectly - youtube, facebook, neogaf, just about everything else is loading fine.

But everytime I try to log onto a news site: ABC, Guardian, Washington Post, Herald Sun, Courier Mail, Sydney Morning Herald, CBS, New York Times etc. the page just refuses to load.

I've tried to open these pages on three different computers and with every browser, to no avail.

Every once in a while, after waiting a few minutes, the page will load like this:

KZ38qXH.png

Am I on some government watch list or something?

Well shit, just found out that a close female friend from highschool & uni jumped off a bridge in Melbourne this morning. Never heard anything but positive energy out of her in my entire life. :(

Sorry to hear that. :/

Gaf, help!

My internet is working perfectly - youtube, facebook, neogaf, just about everything else is loading fine.

But everytime I try to log onto a news site: ABC, Guardian, Washington Post, Herald Sun, Courier Mail, Sydney Morning Herald, CBS, New York Times etc. the page just refuses to load.

I've tried to open these pages on three different computers and with every browser, to no avail.

Every once in a while, after waiting a few minutes, the page will load like this:

Looks like an issue with your ISP. In any case, you should delete all the cookies from those sites.

Yagharek

I was going to gloat til I saw the first part of your post properly. Terrible news.

On the issue of NNK, FWIW though the wizard edition was sold out in like September last year. You either got lucky or not. Not sure its worth paying $500 for like on ebay at the moment, but I really wanted the book to play along with the game. I also would have preferred the DS version come out too back when it was announced, but this more than makes up for it.

Gaf, help!

Try a different web browser, or update your current one. Pretty sure most news sites would have a similar architecture behind them, and your current browser might have (tech language to follow) thrown a wobbly.

Kritz

Banned
Gaf, help!

Try a different browser.
Test on any other computer / internet device you have.

If either of those options work,
Clear your browser's cache + cookies. Also consider reinstalling your browser.

Let us know what works and what doesn't work.

Dead Man

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear.

isoquant

Try a different browser.
Test on any other computer / internet device you have.

As I said, I've tried both of these with no success.

I've opened these pages on three different computers with Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Deleting the cache doesn't seem to help.

I'll wait until tomorrow and if it's still a problem I'll call Telstra. Hopefully it's just a post-floods technical issue on their end.

Thanks anyway guys.

With an icon like that? Hopefully!

One of the greatest men of the 20th Century ;)

Fredescu

Gaf, help!

In Brisbane and on Telstra cable? http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2012474&p=14

Try changing your DNS to a public one like 8.8.8.8

Kritz

Banned
As I said, I've tried both of these with no success.
Ah, apologies for not reading correctly.

As Fred posted, Whirlpool is exceptionally good for unofficial updates to any network issues. Alternatively your ISPs advisories can be helpful, too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Reptile. Did Omi give you the great news?

I'm cancelling the opeth tickets and instead going to pick up 2 bloc party tickets, They are playing on the same night!!

It's clearly a joke!

Reptile. Did Omi give you the great news?

I'm cancelling the opeth tickets and instead going to pick up 2 bloc party tickets, They are playing on the same night!!

It's clearly a joke!

OMG! I'll bring some blue hair dye and we can do each others nails!

I've had Bleak on repeat all week long :)

BowieZ

Banned
So the rare McDonald's Monopoly pieces confirmed so far are:

- Old Kent Road
- Euston Road or Pentonville Road
- Whitehall or Northumberland Avenue
- Marlborough Street or Vine Street
- Fleet Street
- Coventry Street or Picadilly
- Regent Street or Bond Street
- Park Lane
- and Fenchurch St. Station.

Omikron

So the rare McDonald's Monopoly pieces confirmed so far are:

- Old Kent Road
- Euston Road or Pentonville Road
- Whitehall or Northumberland Avenue
- Marlborough Street or Vine Street
- Fleet Street
- Regent Street or Bond Street
- Park Lane
- and Fenchurch St. Station.
I take it you aren't hungry?

Dead Man

Yes and yes.

BTW Though we don't share the same taste in music, I'm pretty sure you do have good taste in general. So have a listen to this:
Maktub - You Can't Hide
(the whole album that's from is pretty damn good, too)

That is the sort of music I can listen to quite happily, but will probably never actually seek out. The guy is versatile as hell though, never knew he had a folkish band.

r1chard

Yay! They managed to hook up a generator to the local phone exchange in Yandaran and I finally got word (first time since before the weekend) from my mum that she's OK. Can't go anywhere on account of the Bundaberg-Lowmead Road being busted in a couple of places, and her generator is running low so they can only fire it up every now and then to try to keep the fridge cool, but the house is still standing and no-one's hurt, so it's all good. At least she has lots of fresh water and the mains power will eventually be turned back on...

markot

Banned
Mobile data pricing: Australia vs. the world
Americans paying more for data but receiving bigger buckets. UK has best rates.

Australians can find cheaper data rates than Americans for top smartphones but smaller data buckets Down Under can result in extra fees.

Mobile data pricing in Australia “compares pretty well” to other major mobile markets in the world, WhistleOut director Cameron Craig told Computerworld Australia.

WhistleOut, a comparison website, recently found that the US charges more than Australia for smartphone data plans on the Apple iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3. However, UK prices were similar or lower depending on what was included.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/452131/mobile_data_pricing_australia_vs_world/

Just got home to Brisbane from Imbil (near Gympie) after being flooded in since Saturday.

Lost power for a few days, and the water was very near the neighbours property but no homes were flooded (at least not where I was). We were one of a dozen odd households marooned between two creek crossings, but we had plenty of food and drink between us so there was nothing to do but drink and eat seafood from the freezer before it defrosted and went off. One day, when supplies were running low we were forced to pick perception altering mushrooms from the fields... for protein, of course.

Shaneus

That is the sort of music I can listen to quite happily, but will probably never actually seek out. The guy is versatile as hell though, never knew he had a folkish band.
Same. I only actively suck it out because it was him, but while I wasn't *that* surprised that he could sing (surprised he could sing that well though) it did kinda shock me that it wasn't really wacky, left-of-centre music. Reminded me of Jack Black's band in High Fidelity.

Yagharek

Exactly. If everybody won, it wouldn't be much of a competition.

Sorry, I was going off on a tangent about how McDonald's food would never be a vector for transmitting a disease behind a pandemic since no pathogens will touch it. Kfc on the other hand has already had nasty salmonella cases.

Kritz

Banned
Played my first game of Munchkin. Mixed opinions.

Players were myself, my father and my sister. We're continuing our "let's be a family" thing by playing board games. We used to do it quite often in the past and have recently picked up the hobby again. I did a brief read of the rules before playing, as did my father.

The first half hour of the game, nobody moved. Curse, high level monster, just throwing gear on our guys. Incredibly boring. Then finally the ball started rolling and we got moving through the board. And by "we" I mean "they". I stayed at level 1. I eventually drew a monster that I could at least ask for help on, and by this time my father and sister were around level 7 each. At this point the game kind of picked up, as I'd gathered a number of "fuck that player" curses and played them turn after turn. By luck and my father forgetting that elves can help people to gain levels, I managed to burst through and win the game with a level 1 slime monster I was hanging onto.

So, we had a bad start. The luck of the draw meant we had shit all to fight and shit all to equip and even when we did draw monsters they were level 18 or 20 monstrosities that didn't even affect us as we weren't past level 1 in the first place.

I'll be interested to play it again now that we're more comfortable with the rules. But I think we'll probably give Game of Thrones LCG another shot before that.

(Danoss does not get to say "I told you so" until we play at least another game)

bomma_man

I'll cross post a message I just sent:

"Had a chat with a journalist from the mercury, said it's so small down here that Murdoch doesn't give a fuck in terms of editorial policy. They get accused of bias from all sides which is a good sign. He also agreed that piers Ackerman is a cunt. And he loves barnesy"

Think it backs up my theory that the Mercury's monopoly has made it centerist to a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom