• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Eh, most train drivers don't, so why bother?

More respect for train passengers more than those on the road it seems.

I'm sure if someone was killed on the road this morning as a consequence of it, their family would be consoled by the fact that at least he obtained the Nexus 4 he was after.

I had no idea that such a thing existed. For me, Geelong Beer Fest is every Saturday, but this sounds like something a bit more special. Possibly going, depending on where it is.
It's at the Showgrounds. There is also a cider hall, and Flying Brick will be there. If I go I'm definitely going to see them early. Will it stand up to how I remember it? Probably not.

smh. It was this line that really gave me the shits though:

It should be change in accordance with the customs and the traditions of our people but change is not necessarily a problem, change is a challenge.

I am so tired of hearing crap like that to justify a "love it or fuck off" mentality.

Don't worry though, if that moron gets in I will eat my hat.

For possible AusGAF roleplayers, it looks like The Esoterrorists 2.0 has gone up for pre-order on Pelgrane's site today. I have the original copy of this game and it was under consideration for something to run. Now that 2.0 is finally on its way, I think it's at the layout phase, it'll be well worth taking a closer look at when it eventually arrives.
KEEN. Looks like it'd be a pretty good beginner adventure, which'll be good for you as GM.

More respect for train passengers more than those on the road it seems.

su re if someone was klled on the road this morning as a consequence of it, their family would be consoled by the fact that at least he obtained the Nexus 4 he was after.

Ugh, I Wasn't Driving At time.I just Say So Because Some people get all judgmental and whatnot.

Also, reptile, what's the deal With torrential Rain? I'm drenched and don't even havea spare pair of pants for tomorrow.Also mobilegaf is misbehaving..

Shaneus, I'm on Work trip in Portland, so well be meeting up with rep on my way back tomorrow, and also thank him for helping with the roller blinds for myhouse. Youcan take thevline to warrnambool if you want. :p

Shaneus

Shaneus I bought a board from Fast Times in Melbourne just now. $150 is enough to get you started if you're still interested in doing it.
Is that just for a cruiser? I was reading up on them last night (I had no idea what they were until I investigated... not an easy thing at 64kbps) and they sound perfect for what I'd want them for (ie. cruising). Had a quick look on the Fast Times site and the only ones they had were these weird looking ones and a Globe one for three-hundo.

Kinda want to get some relatively specific artwork, too... like a Mullen or Lewis Marnell (RIP :( ). But as long as it doesn't look like complete shite, I guess I can't be picky.

Is that just for a cruiser? I was reading up on them last night (I had no idea what they were until I investigated... not an easy thing at 64kbps) and they sound perfect for what I'd want them for (ie. cruising). Had a quick look on the Fast Times site and the only ones they had were these weird looking ones and a Globe one for three-hundo.

Kinda want to get some relatively specific artwork, too... like a Mullen or Lewis Marnell (RIP :( ). But as long as it doesn't look like complete shite, I guess I can't be picky.

I bought a Globe Bantam cruiser a few months ago for $130 or so iirc from Ozmosis. I bought a proper full-size skateboard for $150 from Fast Times today. I mostly wanted the proper one so I could ollie up things instead of getting off to cross the road or something.

Rezbit

Absolutely beautiful day here in Sydney. Down at Darling Harbour having a beverage, very pleasant. Also hotties everywhere.

Danoss

Ugh, I Wasn't Driving At time.I just Say So Because Some people get all judgmental and whatnot.

It's difficult to tell it's a joke when you have a history of doing it.

Judgemental or not, as a motorcycle rider, I am exposed to enough dangers already without people intentionally adding to it.

Here's part of my last trip out and about. I was travelling to a friends house to play D&D. Along Windsor road, just before the Norwest turnoff, I change into the right lane to overtake whilst doing the speed limit of 80. Along this stretch, it is a mixed bag between those doing well under the speed limit and those doing well over it. As I changed into the right lane, not far ahead, there was a person doing around 60. Instead of merging right into the clear, he decided to expend even more effort and wave me around to the right of him (where there is nothing but a small shoulder and a concrete barrier) and he even to the right edge of his lane to make room. Since I am not an idiot, I merged back into the left lane to overtake this weirdo.

As I travel further on and am approaching an intersection, all of a sudden this idiot charges up right beside me in the left turning lane that is about to bend away from me. He looks me in the eye and then immediately cuts right in front of me. All of this happened just in front of an island that bisects these two lanes. I have two options: brake or allow him to run into me possibly resulting in the loss of my life if I came off as a result. Image to give you an idea:

NAvopDv.jpg

The above is just a minor example of what happens regularly. That's not to mention people pulling out at roundabouts/intersections, merging into me without noticing I'm there and even crossing double lines and aiming their car directly at me. I wish I was joking about the last one. Two incidents of "sorry mate, I didn't see you" have resulted in me being hit and one of them sent me off my motorcycle and put me in the path of oncoming traffic. These people weren't even on the phone.

You'll have to excuse me if I comment on something that is very dangerous and what I consider a callous disregard for human life. No matter how much people think they can, they are not able to multi-task. Either one task suffers severely while the other one is focused on, or they are both done poorly. Driving and texting/browsing/talking/whatever else on a phone is one of them, and I have a real problem with it.

I'm not posting angry or anything of the sort, but explaining why this is bad and why I take exception to it. It's worth thinking about as you sit in your steel cage with airbags that might only result in a a few scratches from the same accident that could kill or permanently disable me.

Shaneus

I bought a Globe Bantam cruiser a few months ago for $130 or so iirc from Ozmosis. I bought a proper full-size skateboard for $150 from Fast Times today. I mostly wanted the proper one so I could ollie up things instead of getting off to cross the road or something.
Ah... I'm looking to avoid those ones if I can. From what I can gather, there are "cruisers" which are basically regular boards except a bit stockier (shorter and possibly a little wider) and have softer, slower wheels and probably different trucks as well. They go slower and I think are more stable, but I'd have to think you can still ollie if you wanted to.

They're the cruiser boards I'm kinda looking at. A skateboard without being super hard to balance on or looking like a toy.

Conversely, I'm sick of motorcyclists using the road as their own personal obstacle course. I'm sick of having to be constantly worried that a bike is about to rocket past me on the outside/shoulder or, in the shittiest of stupid moves, in-between two lanes of moving traffic.

I'm a very careful and considerate drive and do so for not only my safety but the safety of others and to counteract the fucktards that seems to have made it their duty to ignore every road rule. The way that some motorcyclists act on the streets shows the utmost of disregard for their own safety; at the end of the day if they wish to throw their lives away that's their choice. The problem is the person that has to live with the fact that they seriously injured or killed someone that couldn't show a modicum of respect for others.

Clipper

Conversely, I'm sick of motorcyclists using the road as their own personal obstacle course. I'm sick of having to be constantly worried that a bike is about to rocket past me on the outside/shoulder or, in the shittiest of stupid moves, in-between two lanes of moving traffic.

I'm a very careful and considerate drive and do so for not only my safety but the safety of others and to counteract the fucktards that seems to have made it their duty to ignore every road rule. The way that some motorcyclists act on the streets shows the utmost of disregard for their own safety; at the end of the day if they wish to throw their lives away that's their choice. The problem is the person that has to live with the fact that they seriously injured or killed someone that couldn't show a modicum of respect for others.

It's good that Danoss isn't one of those types of motorcyclists, then.

Danoss

That's a very small portion of an already small motorcycle population on the roads. Most motorcyclists have no respect for those who behave in such a way either. You'll find most of the riders who do such things will likely only be wearing a helmet for protection, because it's the only thing they have to wear by law. Shorts and t-shirts are their uniform.

Lane-splitting while traffic is at a standstill is legal in some states. Yet, you have some jealous drivers opening their doors as the rider approaches. This and the other examples I have posted earlier far exceed the potential damage of a motorcycle.

It's good that Danoss isn't one of those types of motorcyclists, then.
I wasn't accusing him of that, much in the same way that I assume he wasn't accusing us of coming across a double line aiming for Cyclists or knowingly cutting them off.

Danoss was making a point about the stupidity and carelessness of cars on the road and I was making a counterpoint.

Clipper

I wasn't accusing him of that, much in the same way that I assume he wasn't accusing us of coming across a double line aiming for Cyclists or knowingly cutting them off.

Danoss was making a point about the stupidity and carelessness of cars on the road and I was making a counterpoint.
OK, I misread your argument. Given that Danoss was giving his example of careless driving to demonstrate how problematic distracted driving can be to him, I thought you were using that argument to infer that motorcyclists should be treated similar to distracted drivers.

I'll certainly agree that there are bad drivers in all types of vehicles on the road, and that his example didn't involve a distracted driver, so your interpretation of the point makes sense too, although it appears it wasn't the intent.

That's a very small portion of an already small motorcycle population on the roads. Most motorcyclists have no respect for those who behave in such a way either. You'll find most of the riders who do such things will likely only be wearing a helmet for protection, because it's the only thing they have to wear by law. Shorts and t-shirts are their uniform.
Just from my own experience, outside of larger, less nimble bikes, I see fewer motorcyclist sitting in a queue during traffic. Not all of them are just wearing a helmet. Sometimes the speed at which they perform these actions are at a speed that shows little care for themselves or others.

Lane-splitting while traffic is at a standstill is legal in some states. Yet, you have some jealous drivers opening their doors as the rider approaches.
I'm talking about when traffic is slow or at a stand still and the motorbike is traveling straight down the middle between the traffic. As far as I was aware, it's okay to traverse in-between gaps in the traffic but is illegal for a motorcycle to overtake while in the same lane or occupy the same lane of a vehicle they are trying to overtake. I think what you are describing is "Lane Filtering" but what I'm referring to is "Lane Splitting."

This and the other examples I have posted earlier far exceed the potential damage of a motorcycle.
I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence, sorry.

OK, I misread your argument. Given that Danoss was giving his example of careless driving to demonstrate how problematic distracted driving can be to him, I thought you were using that argument to infer that motorcyclists should be treated similar to distracted drivers.

I'll certainly agree that there are bad drivers in all types of vehicles on the road, and that his example didn't involve a distracted driver, so your interpretation of the point makes sense too, although it appears it wasn't the intent.
No worries.

"Dangerous Road"? What the fuck? That only makes sense if a road was driving that second car.
Also, it seems like the road is perfectly fine. Overtaking when there's oncoming traffic seems to be the real issue.

Why are we blaming roads when it's people that are at fault?

jambo

Also, it seems like the road is perfectly fine. Overtaking when there's oncoming traffic seems to be the real issue.

Only problem is, even if you fine people, shout at them and even take away their licences, you will still have road fatalities.

Making the highway a dual carriageway however, WILL decrease the number of accidents and deaths.

Fredescu

I guess in an ideal world, all highways would be dual carriageways. In that sense, it's technically a more dangerous road in comparison to a dual carriageway highway. Maybe they're trying to apply some political pressure to get the road upgraded. Still, that person isn't fit to be driving.

Danoss

This happened to my girlfriend's younger sister on the Dukes Highway a couple of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99vblDZzDIA

Fuck people.

Drivers need to open their goddamn eyes. Also, if there's a blind spot or partially obscured view there, those lane markings should be changed. Lane markings can't fix stupidity or ignorance, sadly.

Just from my own experience, outside of larger, less nimble bikes, I see fewer motorcyclist sitting in a queue during traffic. Not all of them are just wearing a helmet. Sometimes the speed at which they perform these actions are at a speed that shows little care for themselves or others.

Of course they're not all wearing a helmet only. A large portion of the idiots do is what I am saying, I thought that was apparent.

I'm talking about when traffic is slow or at a stand still and the motorbike is traveling straight down the middle between the traffic. As far as I was aware, it's okay to traverse in-between gaps in the traffic but is illegal for a motorcycle to overtake while in the same lane or occupy the same lane of a vehicle they are trying to overtake. I think what you are describing is "Lane Filtering" but what I'm referring to is "Lane Splitting."

Different phrases for the same thing. It's not smart or legal to do it in moving traffic.

I'm not sure what you mean by this sentence, sorry.

Motorcyle and car collide, which one comes off second best?

Yet, you have some jealous drivers opening their doors as the rider approaches.

What the fuck. People don't actually do that do they? People aren't so vindictive that they would try to kill someone with their car because they were getting ahead, are they? Or, based on your previous examples, trying to run you over for literally no reason at all. I doubt they'd lose their licence over that either, but morons should not be allowed to operate dangerous equipment.

Fredescu

Making the highway a dual carriageway however, WILL decrease the number of accidents and deaths.
Not every road can feasibly be dual carriageway. We're obviously left with a problem where a driver pulls out in front of clearly visible oncoming traffic. Whether that's an educational problem or a problem with too lenient licensing, I don't know. Without knowing the context, "dangerous road" seems extremely simplistic.

Danoss

What the fuck. People don't actually do that do they? People aren't so vindictive that they would try to kill someone with their car because they were getting ahead, are they? Or, based on your previous examples, trying to run you over for literally no reason at all. I doubt they'd lose their licence over that either, but morons should not be allowed to operate dangerous equipment.

I had one of those things happen to me on my way home from a friends house.

I was 3 streets away on the main thoroughfare when an approaching car swerved and was driving head on towards me. There's not a lot of room to move as it's not a wide street, especially with cars parked either side. I had to put on the anchors and duck in behind a parked car to prevent them from hitting me. They didn't swerve back anytime before we would have collided and I could hear them laughing as they drove on.

As for doors opening on lane-splitters, I have only heard stories of it happening from fellow riders. I was doing it once and had a car put their nose forward to cut me off. I couldn't get out from there until traffic started moving, which was scary as fuck with trucks passing by centimetres beside me.

jambo

An old mate of mine has cameras on when he's riding his bike and I've seen some crazy footage of people dooring him and merging in to him. Some people just don't give a shit about bikes and motorcycles.

Danoss

An old mate of mine has cameras on when he's riding his bike and I've seen some crazy footage of people dooring him and merging in to him. Some people just don't give a shit about bikes and motorcycles.

I was out testing my new GoPro on a way to visit a mate. Nothing happened until a return trip when a car came out of the driveway on the other side of the road, mounted and crossed over the median strip to cut in front of me. I could kinda see what this moron was going to do and had braked beforehand. I ran inside when I got home to see the footage. Much to my disappointment, I didn't turn the damn camera on. :(

In Melbourne or somewhere else? Why wasn't I invited?
Warrnambool silly! Portland is an hour west of Warrnambool.

Also, reptile, what's the deal With torrential Rain? I'm drenched and don't even havea spare pair of pants for tomorrow.Also mobilegaf is misbehaving..
Hey I told you it was pouring this morning!

Weather out his is incredibly unpredictable. Been a really dry summer, usually up Hamilton way you see flood plains all year round. Expecting plenty of rain for the next 5 days here! Will bring the grass back which will be nice.

Also make sure to give a review of Portland!

Must all be the controller since it doesn't have much else that's impressive.

Yup, expensive thing to put into every SKU. I expect costs to plummet for them within 3 years though, which will be nice for us consumers!

I really thought they would be breaking even at that price point though.

Shaneus

This is when you bring out your biker chain and go road rash on them.
This needs to be a fucking Kinect game. It'd be the perfect joypad + motion game, because you can easily take either hand off the pad to whip someone going by on either side of you.

Someone needs to make this happen.

Warrnambool silly! Portland is an hour west of Warrnambool.
I know you're in Warrnambool. I just figured that if you were talking about a meetup, you were either coming to Melbourne or Geelong :(

Only problem is, even if you fine people, shout at them and even take away their licences, you will still have road fatalities.

When you're right, you're right. However, I still dislike the use of the phrase dangerous roads when the correct directing of the blame should be at the people. Also, not every road can be made wider, so at some point the onus will come back on people to take responsibility for their own actions.

I guess in an ideal world, all highways would be dual carriageways. In that sense, it's technically a more dangerous road in comparison to a dual carriageway highway. Maybe they're trying to apply some political pressure to get the road upgraded. Still, that person isn't fit to be driving.
I agree, on both counts.

Of course they're not all wearing a helmet only. A large portion of the idiots do is what I am saying, I thought that was apparent.
Sorry, you originally said "most of the riders who do such things will likely only be wearing a helmet for protection" to which I meant to respond with "not most" but instead typed not all. So, to state it clearly, I have not found it the case that most of these riders are only wearing a helmet for protection. I'm sorry that I misspoke.

Also, thank you for the condescending "I thought that was apparent" ending to that paragraph.

Different phrases for the same thing. It's not smart or legal to do it in moving traffic.
Just looked at the Queensland Government website and it appears that they differentiate between the two.

irrespective of whether the vehicles are moving (lane splitting) or stationary (lane filtering)

Motorcyle and car collide, which one comes off second best?
To be blunt, my care is for the person who was not at fault, not the person in the more/less protective vehicle.

I will add to this discussion that both my father and sister ride motorbikes, so I actually do understand and care about the way that other motorists treat them. My dad was t-boned by a car when he was young and was forced into a slide on another occasion. My sister has been adversely affected by unobservant and dangerous drivers, too.

The issue that I have, which is also held by my dad and sister, is that it's not fair for cyclists to wag their finger at car drivers and admonish them for reckless driving when many of them are also to blame for taking unnecessary risks (and disobeying road rules) when they ride.

I'm not trying to start a Bike vs Car debate, I was just offering a counterpoint that regardless of the vehicle people suck. We can add Semis, Buses, Taxis and so on to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom