• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

lol maxwell.

That's worth a million.

Not disagreeing with the above, but Australia get a similar decision against Sri Lanka.

Also "benefit of the doubt" isn't in the rules of cricket....so yeah.

Benefit of the doubt isn't in the rules, but then again neither is getting out for caught behind when the ball wasn't hit.

Also, just to make point on how absurd the DRS has become. It was originally introduced in order to prevent howlers. Now it is introducing them.

Farkkkkkkkkk was hoping for 6 from 6!

Maxwell has had a rollercoaster of a game. Golden duck, first 2 overs smashed, 8th over goes for 4 6's off first 4 balls but still gets 4 wickets!

Also DRS states that a decision can only be overturned on conclusive evidence.

Yagharek

That is a great argument you got there you know! BCCI worthy.

I'll re-post my added comments above: UDRS was meant to prevent howlers from being made. Now it is actively introducing them (see the Sri Lankan incident you referred to, and now today's fake wicket).

It's ruining the game more than bad decisions ever did, and most UDRS decisions tend to be the lineball umpire's call type. I'd have to support the BCCIs stance as of right now. Reviews are such a farce.

Yagharek

How many howlers has it introduced? It overturned a howler in the exact same over it created one the next ball lol

The first wasn't a howler, it was an understandable lineball decision. As far as this summer goes there was one in the Sri Lankan test series. Omi remembers it, I remember being shocked by it when it happened but not the details.

Rezbit

That first one was pretty obviously out. In that case I would rather the third ump quickly relay to the on field "hey that was out." Second one wasn't possible to tell on the ground and took ages for the dude to decide and he was arguably wrong. In that case the third ump wont be relaying a reverse of the decision.

Shaneus

Oh shit, I could've sworn I saw on that page somewhere it actually mentioned Brutal Legend. Perhaps it was removed or renamed by Valve after someone discovered it or something?

Either way, Brutal Legend on PC. Not bad.

Edit: Yeah, that entry's been changed. I distinctly remember the updated date being the 2nd of Feb when I first saw it. They've wisened up and removed the name!

Clipper

Hang on a second. If Vooks is in Sydney, why aren't we having an Ausgaf meetup?
I think I already suggested this and he had no time for us...

I think so? I mean, I don't recall any of the others having as much DLC so I assume it's the most recent one. Plus, it's a Steam code and I'm pretty sure that none of the others were Steamworks.
The new one, the 2.5D one, is Worms Revolution. Worms Reloaded was a return to 2D after the 3D games from 2010.

I knwo quite a few AusGAFers have Vitas, so I have a question for you guys: how do games on Vita make use of the touch pad (if at all)?

The PS4 rumours are saying that the new control pad will have a touch pad on it and I'm just wondering what sort of things you could actually do with it.
Why aren't you asking the Wii U owners? In that, you get menu navigation, power-up selection, character selection and other things.

Shaneus

Yeah, just had a quick read on the two games and it seems that if you want to buy into the series, Revolution would be the better way to go.

B-b-b expensive. Better to stay in Kyoto so you can ride everywhere with an umbrella attached to your bike.
That sounds so romantic! I don't know where to go... I really like Tokyo's big city atmosphere, but I'd also like to try some place new. I think we've got programs in tokyo, kyoto, kobe and kitakyushu, and they all look awesome.
applying end of this year since i'll hopefully have my degree next year. I... don't know I was going to say anywhere is fine except maybe a lonely fishing village down the south or something.
only downside I can see to that is crazy inaka accents and either not being able to understand or ending up with the accent too. Actually that sounds kinda cool. So if you apply this year you'll hopefully go next year?

Jintor

That sounds so romantic! I don't know where to go... I really like Tokyo's big city atmosphere, but I'd also like to try some place new. I think we've got programs in tokyo, kyoto, kobe and kitakyushu, and they all look awesome.

only downside I can see to that is crazy inaka accents and either not being able to understand or ending up with the accent too. Actually that sounds kinda cool. So if you apply this year you'll hopefully go next year?

Yeah, you do the Nov/Oct application for a June/July year start I believe

Essentially the same as say a DS.

Crappy finger movements that offer nothing to the overall experience of the game you're playing.
badly
unless you're playing something explicitly designed for it like ouendan, but those games are few and far between
Menu navigation.
The touchscreen made shooting people with arrows in Ninja Gaiden far less frustrating and difficult.

Thanks for the replies guys. So Ninja Gaiden uses it well? Does it allow you to control a crosshair with more accuracy than you'd get from the sticks? That actually sounds kind of promising.

Why aren't you asking the Wii U owners? In that, you get menu navigation, power-up selection, character selection and other things.
The rumours talk about it having the same touchpad tech as the Vita, i.e. not a display like the WiiU. They're a bit vague but it sounds much like the control surface used in the DualShock 3 clip-on keyboard as well.

EDIT: This is one of the GAF mockups, it might help illustrate my point a bit better:
mk7iJuW.png

Clipper

The rumours talk about it having the same touchpad tech as the Vita, i.e. not a display like the WiiU. They're a bit vague but it sounds much like the control surface used in the DualShock 3 clip-on keyboard as well.

EDIT: This is one of the GAF mockups, it might help illustrate my point a bit better:

Ah, yeah, making it clear you're meaning the rear touchpad only and not the touchscreen is important. My entire experience with that is random sweeps that are only really good for picking a direction. Sort of like Wiimote swings prior to Wiimotion Plus but on a screen rather than moving the whole controller. I suppose there's also rubbing stuff, but that's just akin to waggle. In Uncharted: Golden Abyss, I mostly used the controls rather than the rear touchpad stuff for pretty much everything that used it.

Thanks for the replies guys. So Ninja Gaiden uses it well? Does it allow you to control a crosshair with more accuracy than you'd get from the sticks? That actually sounds kind of promising.

LBP vita uses touch pretty ok. better than most of the other games at least. I use the back touch for scrolling when on the net aswell and it works fine.

I hope whatever the touch interface is is for OS/Menu?Browser and not games (unless they are touch only games like mobile ports/minigames)

Ah, yeah, making it clear you're meaning the rear touchpad only and not the touchscreen is important. My entire experience with that is random sweeps that are only really good for picking a direction. Sort of like Wiimote swings prior to Wiimotion Plus but on a screen rather than moving the whole controller. I suppose there's also rubbing stuff, but that's just akin to waggle. In Uncharted: Golden Abyss, I mostly used the controls rather than the rear touchpad stuff for pretty much everything that used it.

The rear touch is actually pretty precise, again Ill mention lbp here

Deeku

only downside I can see to that is crazy inaka accents and either not being able to understand or ending up with the accent too.
lol yeah, you'd kinda wanna come back from working in japan with a nice hyoujungo/tokyo hougen than some random accent.

though the plus of having an accent is that locals may find it cute, or so i've heard!

hamchan

Well, that one specific action uses it well lol. Other than that the game just plays like the original. You pretty much tap the touchscreen to bring up first person mode and then touch where you want the arrow to shoot. It's way faster than using the analogue sticks and in that game a few seconds is the difference between getting away safely or getting an arrow/rocket to the face! Made a few of those annoying arrow sections much better.

I can't think of many other games that use the touchscreen well though (other than touchscreen only games like DJMAX).

Jintor

Maybe I'll end up with an osakan accent

My friend had a good joke Aussie accent in Japanese. It was... intolerable.

Rahk

Looking into teaching in Japan this year. Too late for the JET program so I guess I'll have to look into eikaiwas. Not sure if I'll be cut out for it being an introvert, even though teaching in Japan may not be that involved. Perhaps I'll do a TESOL cert first and see how it goes.

Rezbit

Do you just follow the company instruction manual at those conversation schools? If you're actually expected to use teaching skills a TESL course would probably help. Just research them a bit, some are very expensive but might have a better "reputation."

hamchan

I didn't realize the Super Bowl was happening today.

Also, if games journalism really hates GAF so much I don't know why they want to give the site more attention, and more opportunities for the assholes to get off on thinking people are listening to them. I actually think Pachter is spot on about the 2:1 asshole ratio on this site lol.

Also, if games journalism really hates GAF so much I don't know why they want to give the site more attention, and more opportunities for the assholes to get off on thinking people are listening to them. I actually think Pachter is spot on about the 2:1 asshole ratio on this site lol.
I would argue most forums, Reddit, 4chan, YouTube comments would be at least 5:1 lol

Idiots Guide to People on The Internet, by Pachattack et al.

r1chard

I want a new law that says that the ABC is never allowed to start a news broadcast with the words "The latest Newspoll..."

Who's with me? We can probably get it written into the constitution or something.

Was Absolution any good? It doesn't look that bad in the trailer, and I might as well pick it up for that price. But I don't want to buy it then regret it. :|

Did you like Blood Money? Would you like to play a sequel to that game? Or would you like to play a SC Conviction type refurbishment?

Interesting to see several Aus Gaffer's looking in going to Japan because so am I. That or South Korea.
Once I graduate I'm looking at applying for TALK or EPIK, if you've heard of them. Amazing looking programs.
Looking into teaching in Japan this year. Too late for the JET program so I guess I'll have to look into eikaiwas. Not sure if I'll be cut out for it being an introvert, even though teaching in Japan may not be that involved. Perhaps I'll do a TESOL cert first and see how it goes.
I don't think it would be that much of a problem ^^ you can be introverted and still be a good teacher. If you're not so keen on eikaiwas you could go over there on a working holiday visa and do an internship or casual work or something while you wait. Ski positions sound kinda fun.

Shaneus

I did, because as of last week I found out the iOS 6.1 jailbreak was getting officially released around Superbowl time. So excite! Multiple audio outputs will be a fucking godsend for me (as far as things like DJ apps go).

Hitman Absolution is $16 for a Steamkey at GMG, which seems cheap?
Pretty sure it is. Is that with any codes stacked on top or is that the vanilla sale price?

Any idea if it's worth getting the LE/DLC version?

So, have I said how excited I am that the new iOS jailbreak will be out soon? HAVE I?!?

Did you like Blood Money? Would you like to play a sequel to that game? Or would you like to play a SC Conviction type refurbishment?
What's the right answer that enables me to buy another game I probably won't ever play?

PS. Sonic Transformed was well worth the wait on PC. Looks gorgeous, 60fps without a hitch (though it doesn't like Crossfire... it runs better with 1 GPU than 3. Go figure) and is fun as hell. Oh, and those fucking A Class races are HARD. At least, they are now... I assume levelling up cars will make them easier.
You should buy it so we can beast around in our respective cars (dibs on Football Manager).

Shaneus

Hey Yags, was that thread you were talking about the GTTV GAF doco thread, or the Pachter one where he "predicts" 240fps?

Everyone should point their radios or web zone audio receivers to Triple J at 8 tonight because it's a Regina Spektor set on Live at the Wireless and Regina Spektor is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom