• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

someone bought me quicksilver, i probably read like 60 pages before giving up...book is denssssse, or more likely i am!

Nah, it is a bit of a slog through the first couple chapters. I had to read them about three times before I could keep track. Then once I was about halfway through I had to go back and read the start again.

Hey AusGAFers, how about this for a pisstake:

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/02/11/r18-fail-qld-bans-god-of-war-ascension/#comment-577222

Thought the R18+ video game classification row in Australia was over, just because Federal Parliament has passed laws allowing games to be classified as R18+ locally? Thought you would be able to buy whatever video games you wanted now, completely legally, now that several R18+ games have already gone on sale? Think again. Or, at least if you live in Queensland. Kotaku brings us news (we recommend you click here for the full article) that the Sunshine State has has banned Kratos’ new blood-soaked romp, God of War: Ascension:

“We’ve just gotten word that God of War: Ascension has been classified R18+ and, given Queensland’s issues with passing the correct legislation, retailers have been advised that they cannot sell the game in that state.”

Frankly, this is nothing but a bad joke. All the Queensland Government had to do was comply with the national agreement which the Standing Council of Attorneys-General agreed to yonks ago, harmonising its local laws in sync with the new national regime. In fact, as late as December last year, it was believed that the laws would pass in Queensland earlier this year, meaning that R18+ games could be sold up north after February 7 this year. Looks like that hasn’t happened; so one of the biggest video game release of this year has been taken off the shelves … in one state only. If this isn’t the definition of imbecilic, I don’t know what is. Federalism: It’s a bitch.

As a Queenslander, I am flabbergasted. This is government stupidity at its very worst. Game stores near the Tweed must be grinning from ear to ear.

markot

Banned
Does Queensland have to change its name to kingsland when Liz dies and Charlie takes over?

I'm still pissed Victoria hasn't changed its name!

ACE 1991

It's going to be hot and humid. Traffic sucks too. Lived there for about 4 years myself whilst I attended JCU...can't say I'd ever move back. On the plus side the uni itself isn't too bad, and Uni Club used to go off when I lived there.

Thanks! I'm pretty aware that Townsville isn't a huge city or anything, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to experience somewhere at least somewhat different from the United States. I'm bringing a decent amount of money for travelling, as it seems Cairns and the like are pretty far away from where I'll be staying.

Thanks! I'm pretty aware that Townsville isn't a huge city or anything, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to experience somewhere at least somewhat different from the United States. I'm bringing a decent amount of money for travelling, as it seems Cairns and the like are pretty far away from where I'll be staying.

If you're thinking of travelling, come down to one of the bigger cities for a visit! The atmosphere in Melbourne or Sydney is quite different from anywhere in Queensland imo, and coming down to Brisbane/Gold Coast is pretty cheap.

I've never actually been to Townsville, but the barrier reef is gorgeous and the weather is nice so I'm sure you'll have a great time :D

ACE 1991

If you're thinking of travelling, come down to one of the bigger cities for a visit! The atmosphere in Melbourne or Sydney is quite different from anywhere in Queensland imo, and coming down to Brisbane/Gold Coast is pretty cheap.

I've never actually been to Townsville, but the barrier reef is gorgeous and the weather is nice so I'm sure you'll have a great time :D

I certainly plan to! I'm very excited to check out the great barrier reef. A friend and I are planning to backpack through New Zealand during our spring break, but I'm unsure we'll be able to do that cheaply enough.

Omikron

Nah, it is a bit of a slog through the first couple chapters. I had to read them about three times before I could keep track. Then once I was about halfway through I had to go back and read the start again.

It is very dense though... I know I struggled through Quicksilver quite a lot to the point I didn't pick up the remaining 2 books. And I love the hell outta Cryptonomicon... as you were saying, probably one of my top 3 books.

Edit: Hey, hey, I have just the footage for Wasteland 2, I am excited.

Jintor

JeaGbdBh.jpg

LOL

Omikron

Seems Fred was pretty right about the NRL being the code most in the line of fire with the ACC investigations.

Knights, Cowboys, Panthers and Raiders all under investigation (these are the clubs to admit to being investigated btw, likely more I am guessing).

Hey AusGAFers, how about this for a pisstake:

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/02/11/r18-fail-qld-bans-god-of-war-ascension/#comment-577222

As a Queenslander, I am flabbergasted. This is government stupidity at its very worst. Game stores near the Tweed must be grinning from ear to ear.

Campbell Newman tackling the big issues again.

Seems Fred was pretty right about the NRL being the code most in the line of fire with the ACC investigations.

Knights, Cowboys, Panthers and Raiders all under investigation (these are the clubs to admit to being investigated btw, likely more I am guessing).

And Manly and Cronulla apparently. But they haven't admitted to it. Sucks for those four you mentioned though because they're in pretty small/struggling markets.

The last thing the Raiders or Knights needed was a controversy to go with their lack of money. I mean if it was team orchestrated it's their own fault, but I get the feeling Essendon might have been the most systematic.

Omikron

http://i.minus.com/i212wUcwcU0eE.gif[IMG]

I'm fucking crying with laughter here[/QUOTE]

4/10

[quote="FallbackPants, post: 47590795"]And Manly and Cronulla apparently. But they haven't admitted to it. Sucks for those four you mentioned though because they're in pretty small/struggling markets.

The last thing the Raiders or Knights needed was a controversy to go with their lack of money. I mean if it was team orchestrated it's their own fault, but I get the feeling Essendon might have been the most systematic.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps yeah, the lack of information / detail is a bit frustrating at the moment.

Fredescu

I think most of the clubs under investigation are the ones that Stephen Dank was known to have worked at.

The A: CM UI is fucking disgusting. Looks to be of the same quality as the one from the PSOne Aliens Resurrection game.

PC version is lolworthy. Very disappointing that they removed a lot of features that were in the previews just to get the game out.

Shaneus

PAX Australia ‏@PAXAus
CONFIRMED: Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert will provide the opening 'story time' keynote on the Friday of #PAXAus

YES YES YES!
Fuck yes!

Maybe it's a The Cave-type deal and Remo is joining him!

Wait... the DDL one or the retail one? Either way it's pretty bad, but if it's the retail release... holy fucking fuck.

Looking like I may not even be in the country during PAXAus. A pity, but I'll be holidaying, so I won't be too upset over the whole thing.

These next gen rumours are interesting but holy shit GAF's reactions are getting ridiculous. Here's a hint, things won't be as bad as you fear nor as awesome as you hope

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
These next gen rumours are interesting but holy shit GAF's reactions are getting ridiculous. Here's a hint, things won't be as bad as you fear nor as awesome as you hope

Things will be potentially as bad as you fear but not as awesome as you hope.

That's nextgen.

Yagharek

Generally, the doom and gloom scenarios are:
Wii U: no games, cancelled projects everywhere
Durango: No second hand, always online, transition to unified Windows platform, Kinect
Orbis: 240fps. Sony bankrupt. Only 4x PS3.

I think they're all going to be various levels of fucked, but either option will be fine even in a worst case (non Dreamcast) scenario.

Sony was the first to be rumoured to have anti used games but i think that was based of an old patent and it was definitely long before all the major leaks and rumours.

teekun

Durango: No second hand, always online, transition to unified Windows platform, Kinect

I think they're all going to be various levels of fucked, but either option will be fine even in a worst case (non Dreamcast) scenario.

Each generation, internet gamers increase the intensity of their predictions, only to guarantee that they'll be more and more disappointed when every feature they've invented in their heads isn't included in the console they decide to back. It's mental. It's like a 12 month cycle of prep work for telling everyone how shitty their new favourite thing is.

Omikron

PC: Still a PC.

Danoss

Space Cadets board game has already arrived. Awesome work, OzGameShop.

Half a world away and they're still quicker than Milsims.

Yagharek

Each generation, internet gamers increase the intensity of their predictions, only to guarantee that they'll be more and more disappointed when every feature they've invented in their heads isn't included in the console they decide to back. It's mental. It's like a 12 month cycle of prep work for telling everyone how shitty their new favourite thing is.

I think the threshold for what is deemed success or failure is incredibly tenuous. Wii U is apparently in trouble, yet its outpacing the sales of PS3/360 at the same point in their life cycle. Obviously there is more to it than that, but what was once acceptable is now doomed.

I think anyone expecting PS4/XB3 to go nuts out of the gate has a fair chance of having their hopes and dreams crushed.

In the end it comes down to the games and how much you enjoy them. I know, personally, even if Wii U becomes a Gamecube style library, it will still be more than enough for me with ever decreasing amounts of spare time.

PC: Still a PC.

Well, I suppose there is that inevitable changing of the guard every 12-18 months where and ATI/NVidia or Intel/AMD combination is the best bet. You don't have to upgrade (same with consoles) but you still have a platform choice to make. And deal with inevitable driver conflicts down the line.

Ok, play this PS2 disc in your PS3.

Some of us can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom