• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it India's fault that a broken system introduces wrong decisions when they opposed it to begin with?
I didn't say the umpire who is in charge of DRS tonight had anything to do with India?

I was offering a solution to your devils advocate discussion on why in your opinion DRS is broken because it still allows human error/interception on the officials end.

Shaneus

You're into Ableton? Do you know how to use it?

God damn, I wish I knew how to use that fucking thing.
Yo rep.

BTW If you want something that apparently works orright with Ableton and isn't expensive, look at this. I really only bought it because of the pretty LED interface but I suspect it will come in handy for something that requires a USB controller.

Yagharek

I didn't say the umpire who is in charge of DRS tonight had anything to do with India?

I was offering a solution to your devils advocate discussion on why in your opinion DRS is broken because it still allows human error/interception on the officials end.

If a system introduced to remove human error then introduces more human error, it strikes me as an unnecessary middleman.

If a system introduced to remove human error then introduces more human error, it strikes me as an unnecessary middleman.
We get less human error than before! I still vote the robot idea as long as we don't give them the capacity to want to feel and love like the rest of us.

Also I say if the DRS official fucks up they lose 50% of their match payment.

Yagharek

I say we get rid of reviews for tests and odis and save it for t20.

Umpires get rated on number of correct vs incorrect decisions and the best ones get to officiate in test series.

Gazunta

Can't wait to buy ports of Giana Sisters DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Final Fantasy III and The World Ends With You for a dollar each on my Ouya.

Oh wait, the traditional handheld market is dying out too, but without those initial releases budgeted for and cushioned by the release on those kinds of systems I won't get that either.

Guess Kickstarted-only gaming is the future. Well that and Llamasoft, but Space Giraffe is terrible no matter how much you try to spin it.

Now make my Green Beret comic.

SPACE GIRAFFE WAS A REVELATION YOU HEATHEN. (And Minter has been kicking ass on iOS for the past year or so...)

You'll still get great games. They'll just have to be made in a budget that doesn't include the markups required to support the litany of middlemen in between creator and audience.

75% of my gaming budget over the last year has been through Kickstarter, and I ain't complaining...

OH HEY AND HERE IS YOUR WRITTEN INVITATION TO READ MY GREEN BERET COMIC YOUR MAJESTY

Which is why, as much as GAF hates it, I think Microsoft's efforts to position the Xbox as an entertainment hub is genius. It needs to be able to justify its price tag better if it's going to compete with work-play tablets etc for people's money.

Nailed it!

Shaneus

I have fiddled in the past but never really tried to learn their stuff but I would love to eventually!
Ah, righteo. So you're as clueless as me, then ;)

PS. Guys, if you "bought" Ninja Blade for free on GMG with that thing they're doing... don't bother. It's seriously horrid. I can't believe it's by the same guys who did Otogi :/

Kritz

Banned
lol it's by the guys who did Echo Night & Kuon :/

Also Demons Souls and Dark Souls! :)

Also Steel Battalion Kinect & Armoured Core For Answer :(

I never noticed how fucked FROM's track record is. It's like a diceroll if they're going to make a cult hit or a shit their pants.

I'm up for baby Henry's midnight bottle and nappy change. I swear, I must be doing something terribly wrong when it comes to burping, because I've got him on the shoulder for like 20min and not a belch or a cough at all. Plenty of grunts and whines though.

Oh, and farts. Babies fart a lot.

I heard about that Rayman thing. Sucks for those Wii U owners who bought it partly on the basis of getting to play that come the new year. Oh well.

Also, the Wii U should never have launched without a big headlining game, but that's a separate issue. Software sells systems. They know this.

Of the other two, I'd trust Microsoft to deliver over Sony. MS doesn't have solvency problems and can afford the gigantic write-downs it would take to deliver what's being rumoured. Video games the way they're delivering them only look like healthy businesses because of quirks in the way financial reports are tabulated and are a huge part of problems with corporations as they stand. A $1B write-down is a gigantic fuckup that should stick on an exec's record like baby poo on your fingers, especially if it eclipses all your profits since. But no, it's forgotten about come the next financial year.

Dark days ahead for console gaming. Dark days indeed.

ACE 1991

So I'm flying to Townsville on Thursday to spend my next semester studying at James Cook University. Anything I should know? Don't you dare pull the drop bears card

$30 a bottle? Cost/Taste ratio wouldn't be in there favour! Unless it is some tears of the gods type stuff.
Yes it is
There's plenty of beers that cost that sort of price and most are probably worth it if that's the sort of thing you're in to. Many people wouldn't have a problem dropping $50-70 on a bottle of champagne. The problem is that people still think of beer as a cheap drink when, like wine, it can just as easily run the gamut from cheap sessionable stuff to expensive once-in-a-lifetime stuff.

Would be nice to try it once, though at $30 a bottle I'd be hard pressed.

though i did have a glass of blue label before so maybe I would spend $30 on beer
This is pretty much my thinking. The wife bought me a Johnnie Walker sampler a few years back, which came with small bottles of (200mL? can't recall exactly) Blue, Gold, Green and Black (maybe Red, too?). To be honest, I didn't think all that much of Blue and actually preferred the Gold. I've tried a few other scotches since (hello, A'Bunadh!) and feel there's better stuff out there for the price. The beer in question only commands high prices because of its scarcity and difficulty in getting it, the local price isn't particularly high (7-10€).

There's plenty of beers that cost that sort of price and most are probably worth it if that's the sort of thing you're in to. Many people wouldn't have a problem dropping $50-70 on a bottle of champagne. The problem is that people still think of beer as a cheap drink when, like wine, it can just as easily run the gamut from cheap sessionable stuff to expensive once-in-a-lifetime stuff.

This is pretty much my thinking. The wife bought me a Johnnie Walker sampler a few years back, which came with small bottles of (200mL? can't recall exactly) Blue, Gold, Green and Black (maybe Red, too?). To be honest, I didn't think all that much of Blue and actually preferred the Gold. I've tried a few other scotches since (hello, A'Bunadh!) and feel there's better stuff out there for the price. The beer in question only commands high prices because of its scarcity and difficulty in getting it, the local price isn't particularly high (7-10€).

Oh yeah there's better stuff for the price, but it was a gift and ill happily drink it.

If you end up buying a six pack id definitely buy a bottle off you :D

Danoss

So against better judgement I accepted the Scroll Of Resurrection that appeared in my inbox yesterday. See you guys in a year or two.

Wait until you see how much is locked behind weeks and weeks and weeks of dailies in MoP. Oh and more dailies locked behind getting a certain rep with a faction with nothing but dailies. See you again shortly.

Shaneus

lol it's by the guys who did Echo Night & Kuon :/

Also Demons Souls and Dark Souls! :)
From did Demons/Dark Souls? I have a feeling I knew that, but never put two and two together. There you go.

I never noticed how fucked FROM's track record is. It's like a diceroll if they're going to make a cult hit or a shit their pants.
Yup. What are some other shit ones? I assume Echo Night and Kuon are as well? I suspect Otogi 2 wasn't that flash either.

Sonic Transformed Racing is $25 on WiiU/360/PS3/Vita/3DS from Zavvi
Buy two, get 60fps... just like PC users!

jambo

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/ap...ed-to-explain-price-disparities-in-australia/

In the midst of the IT pricing inquiry major offenders Apple, Microsoft and Adobe have been reluctant to speak to the Committee handling the inquiry to explain themselves. As a result of this all three companies have now been summonsed to speak at a public hearing on March 22 in Canberra to answer questions regarding the increased pricing of its technology in Australia.

In short: this means that if all three companies do not send representatives to the hearing there will be direct legal consequences.

Ed Husic, IT pricing’s Harvey Dent, welcomed the move but claimed its one they government shouldn’t have been forced to make.

“These firms should have cooperated and been prepared to be more open and transparent about their pricing approaches,” he said.

“In what’s probably the first time anywhere in the world, these IT firms are now being summonsed by the Australian Parliament to explain why they price their products so much higher in Australia compared to the US.

“Adobe, Apple and Microsoft are just a few firms that have continually defied the public’s call for answers and refused to appear before the IT Pricing Inquiry."

This could be interesting...

From did Demons/Dark Souls? I have a feeling I knew that, but never put two and two together. There you go.

Yup. What are some other shit ones? I assume Echo Night and Kuon are as well? I suspect Otogi 2 wasn't that flash either.

Lets all be extra nice to From. They own Tenchu now and I desperately need a new entry.

Fredescu

Don't all they have to say is "We make more money pricing it higher in Australia".

Then all the government has to say is "Here's a law saying you can't do that anymore." We're talking about the threat of legislation here. The government would be justified in creating some sort of price parity law due to these pricing practices making Australian IT companies less competitive globally. It would be easier for the companies involved to not let it get to that, but more profitable for them to drag it out as long as possible before it gets to that point.

Danoss

I accidentally ordered 2 copies of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I must have pressed "add to basket" twice and not noticed. I didn't even realise until they turned up in the post today.

Is anyone interested in a copy? It's not free like the last book I received by mistake, but it's under $10.

jambo

I noticed this just the other day

Microsoft US Windows Store

6DJBVpn.png

Microsoft Aussie Windows Store

ThLtxaN.png

saunderez

So I'm flying to Townsville on Thursday to spend my next semester studying at James Cook University. Anything I should know? Don't you dare pull the drop bears card

It's going to be hot and humid. Traffic sucks too. Lived there for about 4 years myself whilst I attended JCU...can't say I'd ever move back. On the plus side the uni itself isn't too bad, and Uni Club used to go off when I lived there.

Somehow I have become the family computer person, and now my lack of ability to fix the printer is being taken as my just being lazy. I don't want to have to rip every disc my parents buy, or upload every photo they want to email to a friend. ;.;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom