• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

It is very dense though... I know I struggled through Quicksilver quite a lot to the point I didn't pick up the remaining 2 books. And I love the hell outta Cryptonomicon... as you were saying, probably one of my top 3 books.
hmm might try crypto then, the synopsis looked pretty interesting.

also, went to couple of stores and no ni no kuni...i wish i could find my jpn copy, all the buzz about it makes me wana give it another chance

Fredescu

Only possible after years of development and still there are still 16bit games that won't run at all. There does exist a PS2 emulator for CFW in a PS3 but it's not working properly yet. Given enough time one might be running but I'm not sure why they'd bother when you can just buy a box that will do it for less money than your average GPU.

What's going to be fun is when we're running 128bit operating systems.

Fredescu

You can install Windows 3.1, 95 and 98 in DOSBox and play any game you want.

I know, I have Castle of the Winds running like that. The keyboard input is too fast for it though. I really doubt every single game works properly like that.

Some DOS games are still broken though, yes.

As it's always going to be with emulation. At least consoles have a more definite line of, this will work or not.

hamchan

PC: New graphics cards being delayed. Worries about non-replaceable CPUs. Worries that PC gets no ports the first half of next gen like previous generations.

In all its glory.

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

jambo

New graphics cards being delayed is hardly a worry at the moment, seeing as we're at the end of a console cycle.

And the multitude of PC exclusives more than makes up for a few missing PC ports.

That's a 3rd party peripheral =P

As it's always going to be with emulation. At least consoles have a more definite line of, this will work or not.

"At least?" PC being open means that in a few weeks, months or years someone could come across a way to have a classic game work again on modern systems.

teekun

I think the threshold for what is deemed success or failure is incredibly tenuous. Wii U is apparently in trouble, yet its outpacing the sales of PS3/360 at the same point in their life cycle. Obviously there is more to it than that, but what was once acceptable is now doomed.

I think anyone expecting PS4/XB3 to go nuts out of the gate has a fair chance of having their hopes and dreams crushed.

In the end it comes down to the games and how much you enjoy them. I know, personally, even if Wii U becomes a Gamecube style library, it will still be more than enough for me with ever decreasing amounts of spare time.

I think the real problem here is gamers overvaluing the investment they've made when purchasing a console. A $400 appliance isn't cheap, obviously, but as long as you end up with a library of games you enjoy then it was a worthwhile purchase. Having your console of choice come out as number one shouldn't matter as long as you're having a good time. But I don't suppose that's the sort of reasoning you can present to an enthusiast crowd.

Also maybe I'm just too old to give a shit anymore and, like you, have decreasing amounts of spare time in which to play games

Fredescu

Not really. You were saying it's a good thing there's a yes/no line for console BC. I think it's better to have an open system where all manner of shit can happen. It will be more difficult for some, but the results of an open system are often worth it.

All manner of shit can happen including not playing your game at all. I can buy whatever console on Ebay and be 99% sure that my shit is going to play today.

Closed systems have their benefits. I'm PC4lyfe and hate them personally, but they do.

I cant log into WoW. What is this twitching my eye is doing??

I've looked around and apparently a lot of Pacific folk are affected. Something about the DNS not connecting to the servers? Blizzard said to change to a google DNS but I'm not fucking with my home network in case it all falls down, Im not tech savy.

not out til next month here i don't think
damn, i need something to play after ACIII. I'm not sure how much longer I can force myself to play it

I might have to import from play asia. This would actually be the first PS3 exclusive I've played since Uncharted 3 came out. 2012 was not a good year for big PS3 titles.

jambo

I can buy whatever console on Ebay and be 99% sure that my shit is going to play today.

I was actually recently thinking about building a PC with old parts and installing Windows 98SE on it.

That reminds me, I'll post those old PCPP Beast specs up tonight!

I cant log into WoW. What is this twitching my eye is doing??

I've looked around and apparently a lot of Pacific folk are affected. Something about the DNS not connecting to the servers? Blizzard said to change to a google DNS but I'm not fucking with my home network in case it all falls down, Im not tech savy.

I think you're mistaken. We don't play video games here. We just complain about them.

But seriously I have no idea. I just wanted to make a snide comment

jambo

sounds like a "Hmm, this is shit so even though we're not contractually obliged to mention these guys, here are the guys you should blame for this clusterfuck and not Gearbox."

Not really. This sort of thing happens quite a bit.

Medal of Honor 2010 for example. Danger Close did the SP, while DICE did the MP.

Yagharek

I think the real problem here is gamers overvaluing the investment they've made when purchasing a console. A $400 appliance isn't cheap, obviously, but as long as you end up with a library of games you enjoy then it was a worthwhile purchase. Having your console of choice come out as number one shouldn't matter as long as you're having a good time. But I don't suppose that's the sort of reasoning you can present to an enthusiast crowd.

Also maybe I'm just too old to give a shit anymore and, like you, have decreasing amounts of spare time in which to play games

Goddamn motherfucking excellent post.

When you break it down to the finer details all you want is a system that:
a) Is reliable
b) Has interesting and fun games
c) Has a variety of games

Case in point with Wii U, I look at my collection of GC and Wii games. In terms of first party, there are about equal numbers. I expect similar levels of support and quality to come.

Is it a system looking down the barrel of terrible third party support? Yes.
Will that seriously affect me? Unlikely.

Anyone with an interest in any other platform could easily tailor a similar argument to suit them, unless you are a PS2 fan moving on to any other system and your main interest is breadth of software to choose from.

What in the holy fuck were they thinking?

Still making up excuses for Duke Nukem Forever.

Put all the money into Borderlands 2 which the own a portion of so they will benefit more financially if the quality/sales is high?

Alternatively, destroy their studio reputation.

Well apparently Gearbox only did multi.

It'd want to have some pretty fucking spectacular modes to make up for disinterested xenomorphs.

jambo

The main reason I'm annoyed about 3rd party support for the Wii U is it means that the number of ways the Gamepad can be utilised will drop.

Imagine if Battlefield 4 came out with Commander Mode and you could use the Gamepad to manage the battlefield. Or a DnD game with the GM using the Gamepad. Maybe a game like the classic Stunts where you could use the Gamepad to build a track and then race on it with your friends.

Nintendo will release a lot of good first party software that takes advantage of the controller, but there are just so many more possibilities that will never come to be thanks to pubs and devs backing away from the system.

DNS doesn't "connect to" servers. Think of it like the address book in your phone. You've got a bunch of phone numbers you'll never remember and you make them "human readable" by attaching a person's name to them. So next time you call the person, you don't have to remember their number. If their number changes you update the entry and you can still call "Frank" and get the same person even though the number is different.

What's possibly happened here is that Blizzard have changed some IPs (phone numbers) and the DNS servers (address books your computers use to look up IPs) you're using haven't been updated from the master DNS servers. They're suggesting you use Google's because they'll have updated faster.

It's not going to break your network at all. Worst case scenario you change the setting to the "use defaults" or "get DNS from server" or whatever, or call your ISP for the settings (it's probably on their website anyway).

Nintendo will release a lot of good first party software that takes advantage of the controller, but there are just so many more possibilities that will never come to be thanks to pubs and devs backing away from the system.
Like a golf game?

Yagharek

The main reason I'm annoyed about 3rd party support for the Wii U is it means that the number of ways the Gamepad can be utilised will drop.

Imagine if Battlefield 4 came out with Commander Mode and you could use the Gamepad to manage the battlefield. Or a DnD game with the GM using the Gamepad. Maybe a game like the classic Stunts where you could use the Gamepad to build a track and then race on it with your friends.

Those are fair concerns, but going by how creative third parties were in terms of using the wiimote in general, I'd say all we are missing out on is extra maps.

I think you'll still get interesting examples from smaller third parties of the ilk of Suda 51 and the mobile phone in the wiimote for No More Heroes, or Let's Tap and the controller acting as a vibration sensor.

I still say the wiimote is criminally under-utilised (by third parties), but in the handful of games it is used in novel ways (eg Pro Evo Soccer) it is a revolution.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Power outtages mitcham / ringwood / nanawadding areas. All traffic ligghts along maroondah highway etc are out. Safe travels all

@MichaelChammas
Cowboys chief Peter Jourdain said they are in the "lower than low" risk category in investigations

@MichaelChammas
Manly told they are mid-low severity in investigations.

No idea what that means, but sounds like at least slightly good news for any cow or silvertail fans out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom