• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Sega doesn't reference the Master System much like Nintendo doesn't reference the Virtual Boy.

I owned a Master System. I thought it was cool. Fuck Alex Kidd, though. That game was brutal and malicious.
Did you ever get any of those 3D games on the cards or anything? Were they as awesome as I dreamed?

I also remember the Fantasy Zone minigame thing that I think was included in the first MS. Also, the MS1 looked way better than the MS2.

PS. I never owned an MS1 or 2. I had to rent one from my local video rental store, Dollar Video.

Nah, I never got any of those. I had very few games for the master system. Some would attribute that to the dearth of games (especially decent ones) for the system but in reality it was because games were hella expensive back then and our family couldn't afford to buy lots of them.

I can't remember everything, but I know that I had the built-in Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, California Games and I think Rampage at some point. There were probably others but it's far far too long ago to remember off the top of my head.

I probably rented a few games for it, too. Much like my SNES and PS1, renting was how I experienced most of my games. I would ride my bike to the video store and be there at 9:00am, as they opened, pick my game, ride home and play it almost non-stop. I would then return the game as close to the return time on Sunday, maximising my play time.

My plan to maximise my playtime would sometimes backfire if the good games had been rented on Friday evening. 2 full days with ShaqFu? Yes, that happened to me.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hello! We could use some more WAns around here! Isn't it super early over there?
I'm pretty sure the heat in WA is the worst in the country. It's one thing if it's humid, but damn that dry heat. Please take some rain, it's kind of ruining summer.

Oh dear. Coffee is stronger than it looks. If it's any consolation at least you didn't drink it before your driving test :p unless you have something else important today in which case I'm terribly sorry.

Just important sleep to have which I've now wasted half my day of napping by being asleep.

Give me all of them. And that bike.

They need to make a Dreamcast one that matches my modded home one with the (custom) ultrabright blue LED and blue PAL swirl.

pics????

Shaneus

It's just the orange LED replaced with a blue one (to match the PAL swirl). Literally nothing else, you're not missing out!

Edit: Basically this:
jSyYemf.jpg

markot

Banned
Right.... second rate Sega consoles? Id rather gaming died >_<

I got a SMS instead of an NES and it was the worst decision ever.

Yagharek

Don't forget Amiga 500.

atari > megadrive >n64 > gamecube + Xbox > Wii + 360

my progression!

Oh, we're doing this are we?

Dick Smith VZ200, Amiga 500, Game&Watch, Master System, Mega Drive, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, GBA SP, XBox, Gamecube, 360, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, PS Vita, Wii U.

There was a Sega Saturn, N64 and a Neo Geo Pocket Colour in there too.

Bold ones I still have.

NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Wii U

Those Bastard's own my soul.

Does anyone else find the Tap & Go payment method highly amusing??

"And how would you like to pay, Sir?"

"I would like to tap that"

Try & say that with a straight face.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Wii U

Those MF's own my soul.

Does anyone else find the Tap & Go payment method highly amusing??

"And how would you like to pay, Sir?"

"I would like to tap that"

Try & say that with a straight face.

damn you to hell. now im going to have to say it.

Oh, we're doing this are we?
I guess we are. In somewhat correct order:

Dick Smith TRS80 clone -> Vectrex* -> C64 -> NES -> Game & Watch -> Amiga 500 -> Megadrive -> SNES -> Gameboy -> PC** -> GBA -> GBA SP -> DS -> PSX*** -> GameCube -> Xbox -> DS Lite -> Xbox 360 -> Wii -> PC

Think that's it. Still have the bolded systems.

* Pretty sure it was. Possibly an Intellivision. Never been able to find photos of it the right unit.
** Yeah, I totally missed out on the N64/PSX/Dreamcast era, but I did play games on all those systems.
*** Yes, I still refer to the first PlayStation as the PSX, which was what everyone referred to it as (like with GCN for GameCube, etc). The unit was actually my wife's, which she sold shortly after we started seeing each other, never owned a PlayStation console myself.

Hamiex clone of some shit, Atari 400, Atari 800, Sega Master System, Gameboy, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PSOne, GBA, PS2, Xbox (modded), Gamecube, Another Xbox (unmodded), PSP, DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 Slim, Another PS3 Phat, 3DS, Wii U, to be continued

Not likely to be getting a vita but easily be getting Orbis and Durango on Day 1 provided I'm liquid at the time.

senahorse

Of what I remember (bound to miss something).

Atari 2600 -> Master system 2 (Alex Kidd build in :D) -> Atari ST -> Megadrive -> SNES -> Gameboy -> Atari Lynx -> Game Gear -> 286 or 386 PC -> PSX -> Dreamcast -> GBA -> GBA SP -> Xbox -> GCN -> 360 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PSP -> NDS -> GB Micro -> Wii -> DS Lite -> Vita -> 3DS XL

Think that's about it, not including many pc's I bought along the way.

edit: forgot a couple, now added

Produce

Hello! We could use some more WAns around here! Isn't it super early over there?
I'm pretty sure the heat in WA is the worst in the country. It's one thing if it's humid, but damn that dry heat. Please take some rain, it's kind of ruining summer.

Yeah, I tend to get up for work really early (4am-ish), so that is when I do most of my browsing.

The main issue here is the summer weather is so epileptic. It flicks between humid, dry heat and a smattering of rain. I'd rather it be one or the other for more than 5 minutes.

Vic20 -> Atari 2600 -> Master System 2 -> SNES -> PS1 -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> PS2 -> PS3 -> DS -> 360 -> Wii -> 3DS -> Vita -> THE END. I can't see myself buying any more consoles*

*The intent is pure. I may crack, much like I did in this generation, about 4 years into it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So my old man wants to buy me a watch for my birthday, For whatever reason. I guess he feels like I should own one. It's certainly been an idea that's popped into my head every once in a while and since I don't have to pay, it's a good enough idea!

Anyone in here actually wear a watch? What brand is it? Good places to try them on and have a look around?

I haven't worn one for years so i have no fucking idea!

I was going to say I haven't bought one yet but I'll be getting a Timex Weekender one day, but your post got me to actually go and order one, damn you evl heh

They're cheap (so might as well get a better one from your old man) and bland enough that I won't stand out and can continue being a faceless drone of society.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
what's the budget?

Few hundred I guess. Under 300 for sure I would believe.

I got told by a female that I should find one with a thick leather band. No idea why, Just what she suggested.

Also i'm turning 29. So I should probably buy one that suggests I don't look like a kid anymore but i'm also not 50 years old.

So my old man wants to buy me a watch for my birthday, For whatever reason.
Used to wear watches, got one from my dad for my 21st. Still have it but never wear it. I picked it out and still like it though. Just a few hundred, it's a Fossil.

Would recommend if you're not going to wear it to be up front and tell him so. Was in Thomas Sabo at Chadstone today, they had some nice ones for about $400. And POCKET WATCHES. Oh yeah!

Regarding age, just get whatever fucking watch you like. Hell, get a Pebble if that's what you want. Watchismo has a lot of cool ones, check them out.

Deeku

Oh nice suggestion Cods!

Yeah Fossil's are alright, I had one of those rad digital seconds ticking on the entire face ones when I was at school!

They have some pretty nice looking ones on their site too for your price range cookie, check it

I got told by a female that I should find one with a thick leather band. No idea why, Just what she suggested.

Also i'm turning 29. So I should probably buy one that suggests I don't look like a kid anymore but i'm also not 50 years old.

get a citizen

Jintor

Radio will outlast (non smart) tv broadcasts and print.

Playing Bayonetta and listening to This American Life is weirdly great. Higher brain is focusing on real talk about gun violence in Chicago High Schools while the hindbrain is beating the shit out of angels with feetguns. I really miss A Life Well Wasted, but I don't know how far you could go with 'This American Life but for vidya' anyway.

Yagharek

Playing Bayonetta and listening to This American Life is weirdly great. Higher brain is focusing on real talk about gun violence in Chicago High Schools while the hindbrain is beating the shit out of angels with feetguns. I really miss A Life Well Wasted, but I don't know how far you could go with 'This American Life but for vidya' anyway.

I probably (definitely) didnt explain why but the reason is one of ubiquity and ease of broadcast. Internet requires cables and/or satellite. Television is under pressure from internet distribution. Print is at risk of redundancy due to inanity from News Ltd and their monopoly.

Radio is incredibly easy to broadcast over long distances with very little infrastructure or cost outlay. And its vastly more interesting than a lot of TV, assuming you stay off syndicated commercial radio like those cysts on Austereo.

Also, it's easily the best emergency communication network. This will ensure it remains around for a very, very long time.

It's the Roman Empire of broadcast media.

Jintor

I'll get my ham licence after I get my first aid cert and learn sign language

Actually, i probably should seriously go get a first aid cert at some point in time.

It's the Roman Empire of broadcast media.

Liable to split in two due to religious schisms over hundreds of years of internal politicking?

Dead Man

Try them on in stores, but look online at authorised dealers, Aus is getting pretty well fucked with the prices of watches compared to the US at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom