• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOT DANG

ibxon1DR9B6odh.png

2013 is going to be fantastic for reading forums!

iGsuvwFFN1JoU.gif

This is too good.

Deeku

I don't really like hanging out with lawsoc thingies :/
Well you could join an anime club i guess lol

I never did any "social" stuff/clubs at uni. I did mentoring, helped other students study in that PAL academic support thing, and some academic advising stuff. They were kinda fun, plus it helped develop the soft skills that one might need when working n stuff.

Jintor

Well you could join an anime club i guess lol

I never did any "social" stuff/clubs at uni. I did mentoring, helped other students study in that PAL academic support thing, and some academic advising stuff. They were kinda fun, plus it helped develop the soft skills that one might need when working n stuff.

I should probably have done academic support stuff but my burgeoning inferiority complex kinda blows

gonna rewrite my resume while i got time

Our cat is living in the bottom of the robe in the office. Too hot for a hair ball yo.

Do lots of social uni shit now your you'll regret it and become depressed and disappointed with yourself and your life later on.
Or do tons of social uni shit now then later in life regret not knuckling down and studying more stuff

:(

:)

Either way just be true to yourself!

Met a great girl last night. Funny, pretty and we got on well. And she's moving to the UK in like a week. FML

Haha. There's no way they'll be able to back up their smack here. Makes for a great lead up though

Maybe you will see her again in the future!

Maybe you will get a job in the UK in journalism!

Maybe Hugh Grant will be there too!

Also I'm just glad the aggressive talking shit marketing is back from Sony, this generation has been pretty mild and boring in that regard.

Maybe you will see her again in the future!

Maybe you will get a job in the UK in journalism!

Maybe Hugh Grant will be there too!

Also I'm just glad the aggressive talking shit marketing is back from Sony, this generation has been pretty mild and boring in that regard.

I'm not really that bummed about it. I just like complaining.

Agreed with the shit talking. It's entertaining as hell, straight out of the 90s.

It seems to be the type of thing that will hype up the existing PS3 fans (which GAF currently seems to be the home on, Gaming is going Kaz-avatar crazy at the moment), and piss off Xbox and Nintendo fans. Which I'm pretty sure is what console launches are all about

anyone have the blackboard pic that used to be updated everytime a big PS3 game didn't quite do the expected numbers? We may need a new blackboard.

New console launches are great for bringing out the worst of everyone. That's what's maes gaf what it is. Also it means I can use these...

the-muppets-popcorn-o.gif

Yagharek

WiiU has done 2 million sold 3 million shipped. It's also behind gamecubes ltd at the same time not just the wii. I said this in here the other day but comparing launches is very difficult because most either dont launch worldwide or dont launch witbout supply issues, it's quite easy to cherry pick which systems a a console is doing better than or worse than lke your 360 or my gamecube comparisons.

Things that standout that make the WiiU situation look worse than the previous systems are comments like it being the slowest to reach 100k sine tracking started in the UK or that the PS3 or 360 have never sold under 70k in an npd month

WiiU is doing much worse because its January sales are lower than the 360 and PS3's have ever been. Higher launch sales were expected due to it being the successor to the first place Wii and being released in an environment in where people have had no new consoles for 7 years. The huge drop off last month, combined with the fact that there is near nothing on the release plate for the next 5 months, plus the next generation consoles that are going to be unveiled and hogging the spotlight this year, makes it very doom and gloom for the WiiU.

Price cuts ahoy!

I think you're both reading a bit too much into what I said. All I meant was the launch was better for Wii U than PS3/360 and only beaten by Wii. I'm not saying things are rosy or that January was good (it was shocking apparently).

Just expanding slightly, I'd only define launch as the window where sales are carried by the launch games. Obviously that was longer on Wii than Wii U.

The worry is that this is now two systems in a row Nintendo have failed to launch well (beyond initial sales), and three systems in a row if you include Vita. Is it a problem with the market in general? Or are Nintendo just coasting on the false assumption they can do a repeat of Wii/DS? Consumers of Wii U will now be expecting an Ambassador Program I bet.

Omikron

This article is most certainly something.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/virtue-in-a-nations-footy-code/story-e6frfhqf-1226579464999

(if you get pay walled, stick this into google and read. "Virtue in a nation's footy code")

Some choice quotes:

I have attended many more Australian rules football games than I have soccer matches.

And, despite all the bluster and chest-puffing among Aussie rules fans, I have rarely seen serious violence or malice.

OK, I was once decked by a Collingwood fan at Victoria Park, but I probably asked for it. And an Adelaide Crows supporter once spat at me. But what do you expect from hillbillies?

Despite the occasional fisticuffs and push-and-shove, Australian football never seems to have that underlying menace that pervades the "world" game.

The opening lines of our national anthem say we should rejoice because we are young and free.

No age-old hatreds, no bitter rivalries or blood feuds. This is Australia.

Young and free. Young and free.

If you don't believe those magical words, then rack off.

And take your round football with you.

And to lighten the mood for sports fans, here is a great catch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM94QCqs-eQ&feature=youtu.be&a

I think you're both reading a bit too much into what I said. All I meant was the launch was better for Wii U than PS3/360 and only beaten by Wii. I'm not saying things are rosy or that January was good (it was shocking apparently).

Just expanding slightly, I'd only define launch as the window where sales are carried by the launch games. Obviously that was longer on Wii than Wii U.

The worry is that this is now two systems in a row Nintendo have failed to launch well (beyond initial sales), and three systems in a row if you include Vita. Is it a problem with the market in general? Or are Nintendo just coasting on the false assumption they can do a repeat of Wii/DS? Consumers of Wii U will now be expecting an Ambassador Program I bet.

I don't think it's a problem with the market in general. Consoles are competing against all gadgets now. Not just other consoles. So they need to have a dedicated base (which I think had moved on from the Wii) or really capture the public's imagination to absolutely take off.

The Wii clearly captured the imagination, as did iPad and Kinect. Wii U was trying to do that with a tablet (which is probably a bit passe for most people these days) and capture the gaming crowd (which they really needed some better games to do).

In sum, close but not good enough for the Wii U.

but it's not only beaten by wii, it's beaten by everything not ps3 or 360 and it wii soon fallb behind both.Those two had pretty poor launches themselves.

As for the last point the twobhandelds hqve surely suffered from phone popularity surge, wnd the wiiu from nintendo abanding the wii and an abysmal release schedule. It wont be long before we know whether this trend carries to the next systems.

Yagharek

BCCI doesn't determine who uses the rights, an Australian actually owns the company that holds the rights.

Let's hunt him down, tie him up and make him listen to Sophie Mirabella's social policy ideas for a month straight.

I don't think it's a problem with the market in general. Consoles are competing against all gadgets now. Not just other consoles. So they need to have a dedicated base (which I think had moved on from the Wii) or really capture the public's imagination to absolutely take off.

The Wii clearly captured the imagination, as did iPad and Kinect. Wii U was trying to do that with a tablet (which is probably a bit passe for most people these days) and capture the gaming crowd (which they really needed some better games to do).

In sum, close but not good enough for the Wii U.

The dead time for Wii has definitely hurt it, there were very few releases after 2011 that had any meaningful sales effect. Depending on how successful the next two consoles are at launch will give a better idea of whether it's consoles in general in trouble, or just Nintendo's Wii market.

Like I said before. Get some cool games on the WiiU and they will see the warehouse of styrofoam hotcakes containers run empty sooner rather than later!

Wii was lightning in a bottle. Captured the publics attention like nothing before. Now that smartphones have changed public perception of what interactive entertainment may be it will be harder to create that same manic buzz as before.

Let's hunt him down, tie him up and make him listen to Sophie Mirabella's social policy ideas for a month straight.

Agreed.

anyone have the blackboard pic that used to be updated everytime a big PS3 game didn't quite do the expected numbers? We may need a new blackboard.

New console launches are great for bringing out the worst of everyone. That's what's maes gaf what it is. Also it means I can use these...

Absolutely. GIFS and insane reactions are the real reason why I visit GAF.

This article is most certainly something.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/virtue-in-a-nations-footy-code/story-e6frfhqf-1226579464999

(if you get pay walled, stick this into google and read. "Virtue in a nation's footy code")

Some choice quotes:

And to lighten the mood for sports fans, here is a great catch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM94QCqs-eQ&feature=youtu.be&a

For fuck's sake. What a load of turd. AFL truly must be god's own sport, attended only by saints. Get fucked. There are fights and blues in every code. Just because they don't happen to you or directly in front of you doesn't mean they don't happen.

Shaneus

This one?
sH7CN2T.png

I like that companies are saying 'high-end consoles' rather than 'next-gen consoles'. Makes it easier to see if they are supporting WiiU or not. I guess it also means they don't have to field questions asking if there will be a WiiU version on day one or not.

This one?
sH7CN2T.png

I wonder what game would have been considered the saviour? Maybe Uncharted 2? Not sure.

A library of games saves a console, not one single game.

EDIT: Also that board should have Haze up there too!

Kritz

Banned
There were a few years in the PS3 lifespan where it really kicked it up. Infamous was great as their version of Crackdown (okay it was more their version of prototype, but I like to pretend prototype didn't exist), Uncharted 2 was fantastic and 3 wasn't... bad, just disappointing compared to 2. LBP was dumb floaty fun. Killzone was never my thing, but it was fine for a console corridor shooter.

And for about a year and a bit now, PS3 and 360 have both been no game's land.

... I really hope Microsoft start shit talking against Sony. I really want to experience a console war from the fence.

Sony have had some great exclusive PSN games like Journey & The Unfinished Swan.

Most of the amazing XBLA games have ended up on PC too.

Both consoles have had great digital releases the last year, just that full priced retail stuff hasn't been at the same peaks as previous years.

Rezbit

... I really hope Microsoft start shit talking against Sony. I really want to experience a console war from the fence.

As someone who won't buy a new console for many years I'm looking forward to that. Hoping for some epic "I'm an expert" style meltdowns.

Yagharek

Shit talking from console manufacturers only fuels fanboy bullshit. It's been funny to see Sony go from shit-talking from a position to back it up, through to shit-talking about their competitors just as they hit an upsurge (see: anything Phil Harrison said about DS).

The thing is, just because they are back to shit-talking does not mean they are yet back to making or having all those good games to themselves. In that respect, I suspect a lot of humble pie will be eaten by those who attach their flags to Sony's pole loudly and early on in this cycle. (Edit: or anyone's for that matter. It's just that Sony have usually been the #1 shit-talkers/stirrers since Sega went bust).

360 has Rez HD. Still surprised it hasn't been ported elsewhere, but the PS3 can have as many damn exclusives as it wants. If it doesn't have Rez then it ain't got shit.
Rebuttal.

Also Miz had said there is no reason it shouldn't end up on other platforms, so I guess SEGA just don't want to do it.
I'm sure their recent contract work with Gearbox is sure to make them think paying for Q Entertainment to port it would be a good idea! /sarcasm

Shit talking from console manufacturers only fuels fanboy bullshit. It's been funny to see Sony go from shit-talking from a position to back it up, through to shit-talking about their competitors just as they hit an upsurge (see: anything Phil Harrison said about DS).

The thing is, just because they are back to shit-talking does not mean they are yet back to making or having all those good games to themselves. In that respect, I suspect a lot of humble pie will be eaten by those who attach their flags to Sony's pole loudly and early on in this cycle. (Edit: or anyone's for that matter. It's just that Sony have usually been the #1 shit-talkers/stirrers since Sega went bust).

I don't care too much for what employees say. That is just predictable shit flinging, towing the company line.

What I enjoy is the outright marketing blitz to the mainstream public, stuff like the Google Ads or the FF7 piece.

Dead Man

hamchan

I don't care too much for what employees say. That is just predictable shit flinging, towing the company line.

What I enjoy is the outright marketing blitz to the mainstream public, stuff like the Google Ads or the FF7 piece.

That FF7 ad is amazing! Anyone that doesn't enjoy the shit talking between console manufacturers is a Mr Scrooge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom