• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a year of work, it's finally complete.

BDSTl1XCEAABpzf.jpg

Jesus. I don't even know what I'm going to do with my life now it's finished.

what is it

Gazunta

what is it

It's the self-contained shed I've been building in my backyard for the past year. The place we bought it from assured us we could assemble it in a weekend with a drill and a screwdriver. They were filthy, horrible liars.

Since I am basically an overgrown man child, it will just be full of video games and comic books, and the space I will use to make more video games and comic books.

Start on the 2nd story.

HA! I don't think I ever want to build anything else in my lifel.

put some arcade cabinets in it. Call it Gameshed.

My MAME cabinet is in it, but it needs some refurbishing and a new hard drive...hopefully not much work in that.

... put some windows in >_<? Sun roof? AC? Patio?! VERANDA?!

Council regulations meant I had to put the windows on the opposite wall for some reason, which was a shame but oh we'll not like I'm a big fan of sunlight anyway :) AC will be hooked up in the next few weeks.

Cubby house?

pretty much, yeah :) NO GIRLS ALLOWED

jambo

Just had a chat on Steam with Kritz about PC gaming and video cards, figured I'd cross post my video card history:

• Voodoo Banshee
  • work computers from dad's job
  • GF 4 MX440
  • GF 4 Ti4200
  • GF 6600 GT (faulty, was artifacting like crazy)
  • GF 7800 GT
  • GF 8800 GT
  • ATI 4870
  • ATI 4870x2
  • GF GTX 570
  • GF GTX 570 x2 in SLI
  • GF GTX 670

Next upgrade (when I have money) is:
  • GF GTX 670 x2 in SLI

Kreunt

Banned
Just had a chat on Steam with Kritz about PC gaming and video cards, figured I'd cross post my video card history:

• Voodoo Banshee
  • work computers from dad's job
  • GF 4 MX440
  • GF 4 Ti4200
  • GF 6600 GT (faulty, was artifacting like crazy)
  • GF 7800 GT
  • GF 8800 GT
  • ATI 4870
  • ATI 4870x2
  • GF GTX 570
  • GF GTX 570 x2 in SLI
  • GF GTX 670

Next upgrade (when I have money) is:
  • GF GTX 670 x2 in SLI

Mine is
  • Some onboard crap
  • Some older card that I can't recall
  • ATi 9200
  • ATi x800
  • AMD 4850
  • AMD 6950 (with unlocked shaders)
  • AMD 6950 x2 (with unlocked shaders)

Reads like im some kind of ATi fan, but they've just always been the best bang for buck whenever i have wanted a new card.
Prolly wont upgrade until the next generation of cards are out.

Yagharek

pretty sure Saints Row 3 sold quite well. It was all the money they sunk into that uDraw crap that destroyed the company.

I seem to recall that had some moderate succes on Wii, but the PS3/360 versions sold incredibly poorly. Maybe reptile can look through his clearance sales post data to see which ones bomba'd hardest. It might've been all 3 versions.

I seem to recall that had some moderate succes on Wii, but the PS3/360 versions sold incredibly poorly. Maybe reptile can look through his clearance sales post data to see which ones bomba'd hardest. It might've been all 3 versions.

Wii version made a fuckton of money for them, sold more than 1 million units at the high price.
Had a whole range of games too, nice little money maker.

They lost $100 million redeveloping it for PS3/360.
The tablet/game bundle was $40 soon after launch and it only ended up with 3 or so games in the end.

Yagharek

Fuck. What a waste. Wii version must've been right product at the right time.

I can't imagine the typical ps360 audience would have gone for that kind of game. Maybe during the kinect fad period perhaps.

Fuck. What a waste. Wii version must've been right product at the right time.

I can't imagine the typical ps360 audience would have gone for that kind of game. Maybe during the kinect fad period perhaps.

Yeah Wii was going through a bit of a drought for casuals and kids, mainly just shovelware coming out, so the uDraw launched with a pack in painting studio with a bunch of Disney crap sitting on the shelf next to it to make it seem like it would be a good platform for kids.

EDIT: All I know is that the 360 tablet is fucking awful. Worse screen than any other touchscreen I have used in nearly a decade.

jambo

This also reminded me to go and find those old PCPP issues

#28 September 1998

No beast yet, but

- a nice feature on Windows 98 and what it means for gamers
- a round up of some PCI sound cards (ranging between $89 and $369)
- a look at motherboards with 100MHz-system bus!
- Benchmarks for a few games, all running at 640x480
- a section about GPUs being bottle necked by market wide CPUs that are slow.
- Reviews: Dune 2000 87% | Commandos 82% | Spec Ops Ranger Assault 84% | KKND 2 65% | NFS 3 HP 79% | Intl Cricket Captain 91% GOLD |

#43 December 1999

Still no beast, but some interesting news bites to be found.

- AMD releasing the fastest ever x86 CPU, a 700MHz Athlon
- Intel's revised Pentium III chips, running at 533 and 600MHz respectively
- Thrustmaster being sold and renamed
- DVD 10x drives appearing on the market
- rumours of a GeForce Ultra card
- DirectX 7 release
- Windows Millennium announced
- TNT2 Ultra 32MB SGRAM review ($525)
- GTA 2 preview
- Reviews: Tomb Raider: Last Rev 89% | Driver 71% | GP 500 96% | PoP 3D 65% | Soul Reaver 81% | Flight Unlimited 3 89% |

#50 July 2000

Finally we have the beast! No prices, but:

- SuperMicro P6DBE Mobo | Dual Pentium III 933 EB SMP | 256 MB SDRAM | Fireball 28GB HDD | ASUS V6800 Deluxe 32MB DDR | Sound Blaster Live! Platinum | Sony G500 21" Trinitron @ 2048x1536
- Nomad II 64MB mp3 player, now with USB!!! ($729)
- Mechwarrior 4 preview
- Ground Control preview
- Hitman preview
- Duke Nukem Forever preview, now on Unreal Engine 1!!!
- Diablo II beta report
- Reviews: Shogun: Total War 92% | Army Men Air Tactics 65% | Rally Masters 89% | F1 2000 65% | Gunship 89% | Asheron's Call 88% | Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. 72% | Rollcage Stage 2 80% |

#70 February 2002

No beast this time, I think it was dropped for a while so that other tech features could be put in

- 3D Prophet III Titanium 500 64MB DDR DRAM review 91% ($858)
- 22" Diamond Pro 2060u CRT monitor review 89% ($2,099)
- 56k modem round up, winner was a Woomera 56k 91% ($299)
- Windows XP vs Windows 9x feature
- AMD Athlon XP vs. Pentium 4 feature
- Xbox preview
- Age of Mythology preview
- CnC Renegade preview
- Hitman 2 preview
- NOLF 2 preview
- Soldier of Fortune 2 preview
- Reviews: MoH Allied Assault 90% | Return to Castle Wolf 89% | Myth 3 61% | The Sims Hot Date 77% | Aquanox 79% | Soul Reaver 2 80% | Wizardry 8 90% | Championship Manager 2001/02 82% | GP 3 2000 80% |

I'll try and have a look for some around the early 2000s that actually featured the Beast. Might have to move to 2003 or 2004 to get a good one with prices and full specs.

I've taken to drinking spiced rum and playing Assassin's Creed. Making for a good night.

although I feel like I've missed something in AC3. Somehow Connor and haytham know they're father and son instinctively. I was expecting it to be a big revelation to at least one of them but they both have just known when they saw each other.

This also reminded me to go and find those old PCPP issues

#50 July 2000

Finally we have the beast! No prices, but:

- SuperMicro P6DBE Mobo | Dual Pentium III 933 EB SMP | 256 MB SDRAM | Fireball 28GB HDD | ASUS V6800 Deluxe 32MB DDR | Sound Blaster Live! Platinum | Sony G500 21" Trinitron @ 2048x1536

I've got a couple of recent ones in the office, my boxes are out in the garage. Already put the cat out there for the night so I'll grab em tomorrow.

#177 May 2010

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme - $445
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme - $1300
12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz - $1078
4x 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD Raid - $5196
2x Sapphire HD5970 OC Edition - $2350
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium - $354
30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T/Samsung SP-A800B Projector - $8000
Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W - $540
Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 THX - $1000
Pioneer BDR-205BK Blu-Ray Burner - $275
Thermaltake Xpressar - $1097
Coolermaster Sentinal Advance & Optimus Maximus OLED Keyboard - $2500

GRAND TOTAL - $24,135

Reviews - Metro 2033 - 7/10 | C&C4 - 5/10 | SupComm2 - 8/10 | Silent Hunter 5 - 7/10 | BFBC2 - 7/10 | DoW2: Chaos Rising - 7/10 | SinsSE: Trinity - 9/10

Man, maybe I should do things at my uni this year instead of lying around my house being depressed
Do eeeeeet. If you have the time of course :p

My mum is pretty much encouraging me to do as many social things at uni. Taking advantage of the social experience yadda yadda ya. Of course, it's something that could be considered a asset in my degree, as primary teaching requires you to interact with all sorts of different people on a daily basis! then again I do know a long-time teacher who taught for around 26-years (won 2-3 teacher of the year awards) and couldn't even speak during his 2 to 4 years of study. (had to get a speech pathologist before he started work).

I started uni semester two so the first six months there I didn't do any social things at all. All my high school friends had different schedules and it was pretty lonely. I know I probably sound like a rep or something but joining the Japanese society was the best thing I ever did. Not only did I get to make a bunch of friends but I've now got lots of possible job contacts too. Lots of internships and jobs pop up that the lecturers tell their societies about. And yeah, I guess it's made me more confident too.

Have you noticed something weird's going on as well? I'm using a different theme in Firefox and my posts are appearing white. I also noticed there's a "who quoted you" thing on the control panel. I guess that's new too?
:O where?!

Moar? Moar! Interesting to see how it changes, even just over a handful of months!

#171 December 2009

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme - $445
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme - $1600
12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz - $1078
4x 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD Raid - $4839
2x XFX GTX295 1.8GB 576MHz - $454
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium - $454
30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T/Samsung SP-A800B Projector - $8000
Targan BZ Series 1300W - $499
Pioneer BDR-203BK Blu-Ray Burner - $325
Thermaltake Xpressar - $1097

GRAND TOTAL - $23,315

Reviews - Magesty 2 - 8/10 | Batman Arkham Asylum - 9/10 | FIFA10 - 5/10 | Red Faction Guerilla - 6/10 | Osmos - 7/10 | PS3 Slim - 3.5/5 |

#169 October 2009

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme - $519
Intel Core i7-965 Extreme - $1800
12GB Corsair Dominator 1866MHz - $3478
4x 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD Raid - $7400
2x XFX GTX295 1.8GB 576MHz - $1840
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro - $429
30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T/Samsung SP-A800B Projector - $13000
Targan BZ Series 1300W - $499
Sony BWU-200S Blu-Ray Burner - $300
Thermaltake SwordM- $645

GRAND TOTAL - $33,410

Reviews - ARMA 2 - 7/10 | ToMI Ep 1 - 7/10 | Trine - 7/10 | Estiah - 9/10

That's just going to get flooded with reptilescorpio posts.

I'll do my best!

Jintor

Sim City is the eternal conundrum. Abhorrent publisher practices of online-only DRM and relatively high pre-order pricing coupled with an astonishingly addictive, well-made game with crazy interlocking systems that the developers obviously cared deeply about.

Rlan

At this point i don't want gillard, rudd or abott. I don't mind turnbull, but do we have ANYONE else who could stand up in either party? Some fresh blood?

isoquant

At this point i don't want gillard, rudd or abott. I don't mind turnbull, but do we have ANYONE else who could stand up in either party? Some fresh blood?

Labor has no real alternatives. Only options are Stephen Smith, Simon Crean or Bill Shorten - all terrible.

On the Liberal side, I think that both Turnbull and Hockey are talented politicians. I'd love to see Brandis put his hand up (yes, I know he's a senator).

Labor has no real alternatives. Only options are Stephen Smith, Simon Crean or Bill Shorten - all terrible.

On the Liberal side, I think that both Turnbull and Hockey are talented politicians. I'd love to see Brandis put his hand up (yes, I know he's a senator).

Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott should never be anywhere near the government office.
If anyone should be PM, it'd have to be Anthony "I slay tories for a living" Albanese

Produce

Saw David Hasselhoff in Perth tonight. Was a decent night out, but not what I had hoped it would be (more audience Q/A, less shitty karaoke numbers).

markot

Banned
Sim City is the eternal conundrum. Abhorrent publisher practices of online-only DRM and relatively high pre-order pricing coupled with an astonishingly addictive, well-made game with crazy interlocking systems that the developers obviously cared deeply about.
Its bad and you should feel bad.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Replaced the goop on my GPU. Temps are back to where they should be. 60c at full load at 50% fan instead of 100c at 100% fan.

That was worth messing around at 5:30am for!

So I what I wonder is did Bungie decide to make the game online only because they like the idea, or because they knew the next Xbox would be online only anyway so they might as well incorporate that into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom