• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just by going multiplatform they will go bigger than Halo really, COD & GTA are bigger than Halo. Battlefield 3 ended up selling more than Halo 3 too once you combine 360/PS3 sales.

Battlefield 3 easily outsold Halo 3, pretty sure Battlefield 2 just on PC outsold Halo 2 aswell.

Halo's never been right at the top of sales or really even near the big guys like GTA, even as first party exclusive it's behind stuff like GT, Mario and Pokemon.

With a likely massive marketing push this might be bigger but it will have alot more competition than Halo did when the Xbox launched imo.

I pretty much lost interest in Bungie after Alex Seropian left. Loved their early games, especially Myth & Pathways Into Darkness. Blew my fucking mind with that awesome UI on a freaking Mac at primary school!
I still have a soft spot for Jason Jones but as people having being saying, he is much further up his arse these days.

With a likely massive marketing push this might be bigger but it will have alot more competition than Halo did when the Xbox launched imo.

GTA5 will be the big money stealer. Being on 4 platforms will help Destiny with long legs though, especially with the continued content that is being envisioned, along with the 10 year plan.

Halo 3 outsold GT5 too didn't it?

Yagharek

Quick questions for AusGAF people:

1. The Cave. Ive heard its good. I've played the demo. I like the tone of the game, and I'm leaning towards getting it. My basic understanding (whilst trying to avoid reviews) is that it is a) short per playthrough and b) it encourages replays by making some areas off limits to characters without certain skills.

This is, in principle, what interests me about it. Roughly how long per playthrough is the game? And has anyone completed it multiple times? Any downsides (spoiler free)? TIA.

2. Gamecube question. I only ever played mine on a Sony Wega set. I've never played it on a proper HDTV, and I know it is not progressive scan enabled (pal console). Is it widescreen by default, or does that vary by game?

Shaneus

Ahahahahaha. Fuck me dead, that's hilarious as shit. For everyone who says we can't laugh at ourselves (literally OR metaphorically) they should watch that video.

Any idea where there's a non-"cam" version of it? I need to see the whole thing.

This heat. It's 32 degrees in my BEDROOM. -_-
That would've been a perfect "...in my PANTS" post. But that would be dangerous, because your body temperature is supposed to be 36 or something.

IM ON IT

do you like any of these.

oh also
melbgaf on the 23rd
whos in
I saw an ad for something on the 23rd... can't remember what, though :/

All I know is my gut says "maybe".

I pretty much lost interest in Bungie after Alex Seropian left. Loved their early games, especially Myth & Pathways Into Darkness. Blew my fucking mind with that awesome UI on a freaking Mac at primary school!
I still have a soft spot for Jason Jones but as people having being saying, he is much further up his arse these days.
Who's that first guy? Gimme a crash course in Bungle history. Include screenshots of dat UI. And Jason Jones too, if you feel like it.

Also, today I just realised I haven't even cracked the seal on Anarchy Reigns. WTF.

PS. Have a fucking rad track that I completely forgot existed until some tryhard bogan DJ played it at Day on the Grass. (this is for all of AusGAF, not just rep)

1. The Cave. Ive heard its good. I've played the demo. I like the tone of the game, and I'm leaning towards getting it.
I haven't heard many great things, and I'm a huge Ron Gilbert fan. Just wait for it cheap on a Steam sale.

:p

2. Gamecube question ... I know it is not progressive scan enabled (pal console).
It's not? I thought using component cables you could have it running progressive scan?

All I know is my gut says "maybe".
What times etc are people thinking of meeting? I was considering brewing (and have some other things that might get in the way of both) but it's going to be pretty hot so just drinking the final product isn't a terrible alternative. Friday might be better for me...

Off the top of my head I'm sure I could name ten games that are bigger than Halo from the same timespan. There is pride in your work, and there is hubris. Bungie went for the latter.

You reckon? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm honestly interested. What, GTA, COD, Mario, Zelda.... Elder Scrolls maybe? That's about where I start to pull a blank.

In other news I finished AC3. I don't understand the framing device. Why is Desmond a character? Why can't it just be the stories of these assassins through the ages? The weird sci fi thing makes no sense and could easily just be dumped.
Otherwise I didn't mind the game. Too much chasing people through the streets and not enough leaping out of shadows to stab people. And for some reason 3/4 of the way through I had to use the hidden knife things instead of my awesome tomahawk. Stupid. Who choses knives over a tomahawk? No one, that's who

Danoss

The Cave. Ive heard its good.

I've heard the same. It was by the same guy who designed K2, so I have faith it'll be fun.
I'm being a knob and talking about the board game.

That would've been a perfect "...in my PANTS" post. But that would be dangerous, because your body temperature is supposed to be 36 or something.

Internal Scrotum temperature is meant to be a little lower, so it could still have worked.

You reckon? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm honestly interested. What, GTA, COD, Mario, Zelda.... Elder Scrolls maybe? That's about where I start to pull a blank.

In other news I finished AC3. I don't understand the framing device. Why is Desmond a character? Why can't it just be the stories of these assassins through the ages? The weird sci fi thing makes no sense and could easily just be dumped.
Otherwise I didn't mind the game. Too much chasing people through the streets and not enough leaping out of shadows to stab people. And for some reason 3/4 of the way through I had to use the hidden knife things instead of my awesome tomahawk. Stupid. Who choses knives over a tomahawk? No one, that's who

GTA
COD
Pokemon
Mario (+ Kart)
Assassins Creed
Diablo
World of Warcraft
TES
Battlefield
Fifa
The Sims
Half Life

Zelda isn't close in sales

GTA
COD
Pokemon
Mario (+ Kart)
Assassins Creed
Diablo
World of Warcraft
TES
Battlefield
Fifa
The Sims
Half Life

Zelda isn't close in sales

That makes sense. Didn't even think of WOW or Pokemon. And I didn't realise assassins creed sold that well. Or half life actually. I mean its the better game obviously, but that doesn't necessarily translate to sales. Battlefield is surprising too. Because they've been pretty turd for a while now.

Omikron

The Cave was fairly enjoyable, the platforming does suck for the most part however. The puzzles were reasonably easy and I never felt they were super obtuse like adventure games can be.

I haven't been inspired enough to play through it more than once, which took 3 or 4 hours I think.

Still feel I got my monies worth at $13.

That makes sense. Didn't even think of WOW or Pokemon. And I didn't realise assassins creed sold that well. Or half life actually. I mean its the better game obviously, but that doesn't necessarily translate to sales. Battlefield is surprising too. Because they've been pretty turd for a while now.

Thats just off the top of my head, I think rep is right that 3 outsold GT5 but that would be the only time a Halo has outsold GT. There is also free to play stuff like LoL which is much bigger

also a bunch of motion control stuff was way bigger this gen Wii/Kinect sports Wii Play etc. I'm betting that none of that stuff is ever going to be that big again tho.

Shaneus

What times etc are people thinking of meeting? I was considering brewing (and have some other things that might get in the way of both) but it's going to be pretty hot so just drinking the final product isn't a terrible alternative. Friday might be better for me...
No idea. I don't even know if I'll be able to go or not. I just saw an opportunity to drop a Futurama reference and I took it.

Checkmate.

Yagharek

Since 2001, when Halo released:

For reference, Halo sold 5m, Halo 2 sold 8m, and Halo 3 sold 11.5m. Halo Reach sold 9.1m. Halo 4 is apparently around 4 million. Source for all is Wikipedia. Total sales are around 39m.

On Wii we have:
Wii Sports (81.64 million)
Mario Kart Wii (34.01 million)
Wii Sports Resort (31.54 million)
Wii Play (28.02 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (27.61 million)
Wii Fit (22.67 million)
Wii Fit Plus (20.48 million)

Ignoring Wii Sports, we have Mario Kart Wii that has almost matched the entire Halo series alone. Wii Fit series combined is bigger. NSMB Wii is bigger than all the games combined minus Halo 3. Wii Sports Resort is bigger than the series minus Halo 2 numbers.

On Nintendo DS:
New Super Mario Bros. (30.18 million)
Nintendogs All versions (23.64 million)
Mario Kart DS (22.57 million)
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (18.96 million)
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.57 million)
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (14.83 million)
Pokémon Black and White (14.71 million)
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (11.90 million)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (11.51 million)

Every game on the DS list above has sold equal to or more than Halo 3, Animal Crossing being the equal to. That is ignoring the Pokemon series combined sales.

Call of Duty games:
CoD 2: 2 million (as at 2008)
CoD 3: 2 million (2008)
CoD MW: over 10 million (2009)
CoD MW2: over 22m (2011)
CoD MW3: over 9m (2011)
CoD W@W: over 11m (2009)
CoD BO: over 25m (2012)
CoD BO2: over 7.5m (2012)

Playstation 3 games:
Gran Turismo 5 (9.19 million)

Playstation 2 games:
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (17.33 million approximately)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (14.89 million approximately)
Gran Turismo 4 (11.6m)

XBox 360 games:
Kinect Adventures: 24m (pack in with kinect)

GTA 4:
Over 25 million (2012)

World of Warcraft: consistently over 10 millions subs since launch year
Minecraft: over 9 million (2013)

Roughly speaking, Halo is a big name but it has been dwarfed by other series, especially when you start adding together Mario Kart series, Wii Fit series, Wii Sports series, Mario Galaxy series, NSMB series, Call of Duty series, Gran Turismo series, World of Warcraft and all add ons, The Sims, Nintendogs series, Animal Crossing series, Grand Theft Auto series.

Halo is big, but not that big.

Yagharek

The Cave was fairly enjoyable, the platforming does suck for the most part however. The puzzles were reasonably easy and I never felt they were super obtuse like adventure games can be.

I haven't been inspired enough to play through it more than once, which took 3 or 4 hours I think.

Still feel I got my monies worth at $13.

Great, thanks for that. Platforming in the demo was pretty basic, I assume it doesn't get too much more complicated than that. ie serviceable but nothing special. It seemed to me to be a game that hung its hat more on the puzzle solving aspect than the jumping.

Oh sweet, new Vita colour! Expecting $150 here.

Quick questions for AusGAF people:

1. The Cave. Ive heard its good. I've played the demo. I like the tone of the game, and I'm leaning towards getting it. My basic understanding (whilst trying to avoid reviews) is that it is a) short per playthrough and b) it encourages replays by making some areas off limits to characters without certain skills.

This is, in principle, what interests me about it. Roughly how long per playthrough is the game? And has anyone completed it multiple times? Any downsides (spoiler free)? TIA.
It's on WiiU!

I love Ron Gilbert, but the last game of his that I really loved was Total Annihilation, a full 4 years since his last masterpiece!

Who's that first guy? Gimme a crash course in Bungle history. Include screenshots of dat UI. And Jason Jones too, if you feel like it.

PS. Have a fucking rad track that I completely forgot existed until some tryhard bogan DJ played it at Day on the Grass. (this is for all of AusGAF, not just rep)
They were the founders of Bungie, Jones was the main programmer.

Also dat UI

Pathways_into_darkness-screenshot.png

HNNNNNNNG

Also here have a rad track that time forgot! Also kids!

Halo is big, but not that big.
Bungie aren't going after the Mario/casual money, they want to be at that COD level.

Hey Sony! Want to build hype for Thursday?

fNln2uP.gif

Oh. Alright then. Hold a Sony Direct and pull a Seinfeld. Good job. Idiots.

The list was in response to a query about what was bigger than Halo, when one of the Bungie devs said 'after all, what's bigger than Halo?!'.

The answer it turns out, is quite a lot of games, actually.

Aside from COD & GTA nothing they can really aim at though. Made Destiny a known quantity which is a bit sad but it could be great fun anyway.

Aside from COD & GTA nothing they can really aim at though. Made Destiny a known quantity which is a bit sad but it could be great fun anyway.

Er GTA and COD are two of the biggest sellers on those lists, over double Halo sales and only behind Wii_ and Mario Kart, everyone wants to aim that high but realistically there is little chance Destiny will be that big.

Halo hype + multiplatform should see them get over the 10 mill mark eventually you would think (depending on quality/word of mouth) but nothing is really certain.

I don't see why they wouldn't do a late PC port. It's coming to PS3/PS4/360/720 anyway! Just need to make they spend the least money porting it possible. :)

I think youre discussing a completely different topic, sorry.
Oh whoops, I took his piece as to mean they didn't expect coming from Marathon that Halo would be such a huge success for them, and now they aren't sure how Destiny will go in comparison to that.

I don't get the "Direct" or "Seinfeld" references :/

You've done a great job at making me feel like a dumbarse today, tiger :(

Sony announced the Vita livestream info dump earlier today, like a quickly announced Nintendo Direct.

On the popular TV show Seinfeld from the 90's 2 of the main characters, Jerry Seinfeld & George Cantstandya, come up with an idea. About nothing.

So Sony quickly announced that a direct promotional thing and then showed nothing. Aside from a price drop in Japan that other regions won't say is happening elsewhere. Oh and that FFX HD is probably still happening maybe.

Even worse is that their mega hyped main conference is this week and now people are starting to think

MwkTLMi.gif

Yagharek

Sony cant afford to fuck up on the 20th. I don't think they will, but they have little margin for error. Nintendo's recent missteps have handed them a golden opportunity in the Jp market. They have clear air to get noticed in western markets without MS saying anything yet.

I'm expecting to come home on Wednesday to a cornucopia of announcements that make me desperately want a PS4, despite my recent decision not to consider it for reasons Ive mentioned countless times (time, mainly).

A part of me wants to see one of two outcomes. I don't want a middle of the road conference with no surprises. I want an all or nothing reveal. Either case will make for fascinating reading.

Shaneus

I don't see why they wouldn't do a late PC port. It's coming to PS3/PS4/360/720 anyway! Just need to make they spend the least money porting it possible. :)
Windows 9 exclusive.

PS. Thanks for that post, very much appreciated <3

(having actually read your post... I wanted to thank you before I forgot)
Even worse is that their mega hyped main conference is this week and now people are starting to think

MwkTLMi.gif
Yeah, you really have to wonder. Did they have this Vita date out in the public before Feb 20th was known about? If they did, maybe they just forgot to cancel it or something.

PS. Something else a bit Australian for ya (I'd never heard of those Aboriginal kids before!) (not counting the song I just linked... that was a thank-you song, not the whole "awesome Aussie tracks" thing)
PPS. I fucking despise YouTube streaming right now (and have for the last... years). 22mb music video, still gets buffer timeouts because their shitty player only decides to download the next three seconds of anything ever. Fuck you YT, I'm just going to download everything now and you can kiss your ad revenue goodbye.

Yagharek

Oh, is that why yt has gone to shit recently? Everything slow loading I now blame on local internet conditions since its so bad. PS3 fw updates, Wii U updates, yt, GAF down for the day etc all due to local internet.

The more you know.

Shaneus

Oh, is that why yt has gone to shit recently? Everything slow loading I now blame on local internet conditions since its so bad. PS3 fw updates, Wii U updates, yt, GAF down for the day etc all due to local internet.

The more you know.
I don't think it's *why*, it's more a symptom. I tried downloading the same video with assistance from a Firefox script that gives me direct downloads (completely bypassing the shitty YT player) and it downloaded said video in 20 seconds.

Omikron

Great, thanks for that. Platforming in the demo was pretty basic, I assume it doesn't get too much more complicated than that. ie serviceable but nothing special. It seemed to me to be a game that hung its hat more on the puzzle solving aspect than the jumping.

Serviceable and nothing special is perhaps a bit kind, as it actually works against the game in points. You can't fall too far to your death or you 'die', but there is no penalty other than respawning back on the platform, only to have to repeat attempting to get on the ladder and painfully climbing back down.

Oh that's right, they used it to demonstrate how to use your party to solve a puzzle, by sliding a block across so your guys don't die. Cool.

Everything Google is random as fuck. Sometimes works like a dream. Other times is a real cunt.

I had 6 months of nonstop issues with Youtube, did a fresh install of Win7 and its been perfect ever since.

I would love someway to do that with Chrome! Fucking gifs. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom