• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've hit a new low, AusGAF; I've started deciding what games from my backlog I play by playing heads or tails with an empty Cadbury box.

You and I have a very different definition of "new low."

And holy shit at the cost of wire photos. I have this awesome idea for a website/potential business and the cost of using actual relevant photos is a massive spammer in the works. Even thinkstock is like $250/month. Its enough to drive poor entrepreneur to drink.

This:
mrZwFXI.gif

Also this.

Shaneus

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=68160

So I noticed this guy's never posted in AusGAF before. >_>

Someone get on that.
Too athletic and successful for AusGAF :(

I've hit a new low, AusGAF; I've started deciding what games from my backlog I play by playing heads or tails with an empty Cadbury box.
As in, you're flipping a Cadbury box and seeing which side is up? Is it a Roses box or one of the non-square ones? Because unless it's evenly weighted on both sides (and a Roses box wouldn't be, because of the plastic window on one side) you'd only be cheating yourself. Maybe use some kind of gambling system to decide what you should play. Like a horse race or Tattslotto numbers.

In fact, I might give that last one a try. Only problem is that I'd have to narrow down my backlog to 45 games :/

So where is a good place to get hosting and a domain? Also what's a good and mega simple CMS. Turns out my genius idea requires some knowledge of running a website. Which I am currently lacking

Danoss

For Australian hosting, I think VentraIP are great value.

Hosting overseas is usually far better value for money though, as bandwidth and storage space are often more generous there. I was planning on using NixiHost when I can be bothered getting my website done again. Wordpress is a dead simple CMS with plenty of themes out there, or you could pay someone to whip something up for you, most hosting sites will have that available for automated install amongst other CMS types.

I use(d) Panthur. They're pretty good. I have a referral link lying around here somewhere. Excellent, excellent support.

Hosting overseas is usually far better value for money though, as bandwidth and storage space are often more generous there. I was planning on using NixiHost when I can be bothered getting my website done again. Wordpress is a dead simple CMS with plenty of themes out there, or you could pay someone to whip something up for you, most hosting sites will have that available for automated install amongst other CMS types.

Cheers guys. I was thinking Wordpress but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something better.

I can vouch for NixiHost. Fantastic support, too. They're owned/run by Goons and have a forum post on SA with occasional deals/coupons.

Kritz

Banned
What are you talking about man I am a geek inside as I do work as IT Support Officer.

those are the two least similar occupations in the world just so you know. Right next to, I dunno, astronaut and paedophile.

Welcome to AusGAF. Life's better here. Ignore the Markot. We all do.

I used to do IT support for the DoE. But haven't for a while. I got really good at creeping through Active Directory finding emails of all my old teachers.

Kritz

Banned
How did you find me mate?
I follow AusGAF, but I topic never come up I can relate too so I never post.

STALKER for me isn't a game, it's a way of life.

You posed in that drunk thread last night that maccas was good after hangovers. Only Australians use the term "maccas". I check your profile to confirm. Oh, you have a website, what's this. Oh, shit. Oh man this has your full name and birthday an-

... ignore that last part.

jambo

How did you find me mate?

Kritz is a finder of things.

I follow AusGAF, but I topic never come up I can relate too so I never post.

You could talk about games. Or crazy shenanigans from the Athlete's Village. Or doing coke off of Jacques Rogge's ass cheek.

EDIT:
Oh, you have a website, what's this. Oh, shit. Oh man this has your full name and birthday an-

Kritz is now camped out in your garden...

Kritz

Banned
Oh, speaking of...

Hey does anyone want to host AusGAF's new IRC<->Steam bot? We need some 24/7 hosting for it. If anyone has access to a computer that's always on and can have stuff installed on it (to my understanding it's not too much - mega, is the bot compatible with Windows or just whatever distro you're running?).

Oh, speaking of...

Hey does anyone want to host AusGAF's new IRC<->Steam bot? We need some 24/7 hosting for it. If anyone has access to a computer that's always on and can have stuff installed on it (to my understanding it's not too much - mega, is the bot compatible with Windows or just whatever distro you're running?).

Compatible with anything that runs NodeJS. I did some research and you can just install the installer on the site. It does require some other packages to be installed via commandline, however. I can help with that if need be. The bot doesn't need much processing power, this shitty work laptop runs it and all my normal programs fine.

Also, just because you put your hand up now doesn't mean you are committing to it, we may find other hosting that we may pay for. For instance, I'd like to be able to push to it to update as need be.

jambo

Hello my name is iSnaketk and I don't understand this thread.

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one cancelling all the fucking WiiU ports?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time

davidnic

STALKER for me isn't a game, it's a way of life.

You posed in that drunk thread last night that maccas was good after hangovers. Only Australians use the term "maccas". I check your profile to confirm. Oh, you have a website, what's this. Oh, shit. Oh man this has your full name and birthday an-

Oh ok! My website is for people to look at and for companies to look at in case there want to give me sponsorship.

Or instead of being creeped out via forum we also have an almost always active IRC chat to be creeped out on.

http://webchat.gamesurge.net/?channels=AusGAF

I will keep this website in mind but I am work now so I really join mate.

Kritz

Banned
I will keep this website in mind but I am work now so I really join mate.

You'd be surprised how many in the IRC channel are also supposed to be working. Though I certainly understand that helpdesk support doesn't give much time for online chatting. (On top of that, my workplace was always monitored so I dunno how most of ausgaf get away with it. Compile times?)

Outside of work you could join our Steam group, then jump into the chatroom. But since we're working on merging the two chatrooms using a bot, it likely won't matter which you join because you'll end up with the same chat anyway.

We tend to have between 6-20 people in the chat at any one time. Good place to go to talk about games. This thread's better for cricket, sport, and general Australian news.

This post also applies to the other new duder.

teekun

Should I borrow 1 off a friend or can I skip straight to 2 on PSP/Vita?

1 is the good one. 2 is extremely underwhelming and lacks all of the charm of the original.

If you play the original and are dying for more, 2 will sort of scratch that itch, but it's not at all up to the same quality, and makes some serious concessions to graphics and gameplay to fit the limitations of the PSP.

Deeku

i know that feel:/

psp one is still a decent game despite the crappy anime-y school setting thing... but you're really missing out if you don't play the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom