• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

magenta

You and me both :p just apply ~ if you've got any reservations you can always pull out later. It seems like it's something you really wanna do though! Sometimes you gotta stop thinking or you'll end up missing out, or missing the deadline :p

JET applications in Australia are open? I thought the next round would be at the end of the year :S

They are, I assure you. I saw them last time they were out here doing individual shows and loved it.

Security were a bit too gung-ho about stopping photos from being taken, people were being ripped from the crowd if they were caught and people were dobbing others in too. I believe this was requested by the band. It was the only problem I had with an otherwise very enjoyable show.

Yeah they have some weird policies that seem to change each tour :/

Mannnnnnnnnnn they are awesome though. Hope we get a new album with some fire in them.

Jintor

They probably won't open until August or October. I'm just thinking about it early because last time I tried to do anything I had to faff around getting official transcripts and referral letters and crap

Kritz

Banned
You go to UTAS? Me too! haha. MyLO is such crap... worse than the old version even :\

what you're saying is that the second official tasgaf meetup can be scheduled by the vending machine on the CIS's third floor.

Dunno what part of UTAS you study under but CIS students have been dealing with new mylo for a year now. It's hot garbage. The only improvement is that they made it support tabs. Which I should not be saying about a website made in 2012.

Dead Man

What happened to Shaneus, post history looks okay?

Eeeh, don't sweat it. Stark's a drunk, a womanizer, once killed a diplomat, lost the very company he built and was pro superhero registration during Civil War. Frickin' asshole, he is.

Edit- I hope that's just the puppy's tail that I can see.
Yeah... it's his.. tail. Sure. If that's what you need it to be.

Scotch! Had a delightful gift from our dear friend Danoss as a wedding gift.

20130225_1952345odwq.jpg

I didn't have any kind of proper scotch glass so a tasting glass was a great idea! The scotch itself is quite fantastic. Very smooth and rich, no hint of spices just a creamy rise of warmth through the mouth. Smells surprisingly alluring even at such a high alcohol content! Had a few mouthfuls neat before adding room temp water about a teaspoon of water. Took out some of the all encompassing heat while making the fruitiness open up, really fucking good!

I might have to start hitting up that dealer for special occasions Danoss! I'll make sure to document any samples here of course.
Why does it look like it is a urine sample bottle?
Yup, suitcase suit was frucking mindblowingly stupid.
Yeah, I know it is a comic book film, but sometimes it is just too much to dismiss.
Despair boner.

He is smiling on the inside so hard.
LOL
Sounds wonderful, I'll have to try that and others (especially Ben Nevis, been wanting to try some for ages) at some stage. They have a decent collection there, and single cask bottlings are always exciting!

They are, I assure you. I saw them last time they were out here doing individual shows and loved it.

Security were a bit too gung-ho about stopping photos from being taken, people were being ripped from the crowd if they were caught and people were dobbing others in too. I believe this was requested by the band. It was the only problem I had with an otherwise very enjoyable show.

That sounds utter shite, disappointing to hear.

Edit:
I mustn't have been reading RPS during this period :/

I... I thought I was alone. FO:NV was such a letdown to me. Everything of interest had a map marker, nothing felt like it was described, no sense of exploration or scale. The Super mutants were much better, but other than that I really didn't enjoy it.

What happened to Shaneus, post history looks okay?

I... I thought I was alone. FO:NV was such a letdown to me. Everything of interest had a map marker, nothing felt like it was described, no sense of exploration or scale. The Super mutants were much better, but other than that I really didn't enjoy it.

Here for Shaneus.

Also re: New Vegas, you are dead to me dead man. Dead!

Danoss

That sounds utter shite, disappointing to hear.

I'll assume you mean APC, and yes, you are correct. It was rather distracting.

Bands need to get the hell over themselves and allow people to take their shitty photos (flashes are annoying and do nothing, understandably). The photos they take aren't going to compete with those in the media pit anyway and are a personal token. I know it's their right to forbid it, but there's a line, and when it interferes with my ability to enjoy a concert I paid good money for, they have crossed it.

I've never disagreed with someone on GAF more. New Vegas is pretty much game of the generation for me. Only really challenged by Red Dead.

Dead Man

I'll assume you mean APC, and yes, you are correct. It was rather distracting.

Bands need to get the hell over themselves and allow people to take their shitty photos (flashes are annoying and do nothing, understandably). The photos they take aren't going to compete with those in the media pit anyway and are a personal token. I know it's their right to forbid it, but there's a line, and when it interferes with my ability to enjoy a concert I paid good money for, they have crossed it.
Exactly.

I've never disagreed with someone on GAF more. New Vegas is pretty much game of the generation for me. Only really challenged by Red Dead.

Hey, the RPS guy agrees with me, I can hold my head high now! Everyone else is wrong, not me!

markot

Banned
I love the jerk fest sony started over ram. Pretty sad that its the only thing people are talking about. 'Next gen' is gonna be another snooze fest of over used special effects. We will look back on bloom fondly, and we will see greys and browns the likes of which we have never seen!

Sony and Ms have pretty much convinced me to get a wii u more so then a million marios.

gaaaaahh, UTAS's site has been loading like dogshit all day.

On the plus side, and something nobody but me will appreciate, my lecturer for Artificial Intelligence is awesome. He puts Simpsons clips in every slide that tie into what he's saying. Or, failing that, he just plays some Simpsons clips. (yes, the good seasons of The Simpsons)

You have Ian for AI?

I had him for that two years ago. :lol

I'm a KXT101 Tutor this semester!

what you're saying is that the second official tasgaf meetup can be scheduled by the vending machine on the CIS's third floor.

Dunno what part of UTAS you study under but CIS students have been dealing with new mylo for a year now. It's hot garbage. The only improvement is that they made it support tabs. Which I should not be saying about a website made in 2012.

The TUCS tearoom, you mean? That's my normal hangout when I'm floating around campus with nothing on, although this year I'll probably spend a lot of time in the honors room.

Oooooooooooooooooo, Mr. Lar-Dee-Dar! You won't find Professor Honours, here, in no stinking tea room. Oh no, not anymore. But you enjoy your TasGAF meeting. In the tea room. Post pictures, 'cause that's the only way Mr. FancyPants will see it.

Fallout 3 was impressive in the pure size of the world they created. A real breathtaking moment stepping out of the plodding, boring tutorial. Art design was great but the quality wasn't quite there, still pretty good for the time though, vistas and the like looked amazing since it was more about scope rather than detail.
Everything else was hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just boring.

Fallout New Vegas was like a proper, full fleshed out game that was born out of Fallout 3 as if F3 was a prototype game. Everything is better, aside from the scope of the world which is mearly similar but doesn't carry the same impact obviously since you have already experienced Fallout 3. The writing & gameplay takes a huge creamy dump all over F3. It is full of little experiences off the beaten track, with little stories locked away for you to discover and flesh out what this post-apoc world leads to.
The irradiated Vault is one of the most vivid gaming experiences of the generation for me, forcing you to change your playstyle along with the change in design. In other games these moments are usually detrimental to the experience as a whole, like the supernatural enemies in Uncharted that required a run-n-gun approach or an on rails section in a FPS/TPS. Here though it lets the quality of the system shine, variety is the spice of life in New Vegas. You aren't forced to play a certain way but some methods become painfully obvious that they aren't the most effective way to reach your goal.

Also the pronounciation of Caeser was a brilliant touch that instantly gave you an understanding of the kind of group Legion are and how they revere their leader.

New Vegas certainly wasn't pretty though. The great art design cushioned that blow though. Also the items and intrest points were placed intelligently, less like you were living in a video game than Fallout 3. It's the post-apocalypse! Of course shit is going to be haggard! The shitty crops tie in with what you would expect of a scorched earth, especially out in that region to start with. NPC's make reference to it a few times too. New Vegas ain't Old Vegas.

In any case the whole thing is subjective. People like different elements of things! I for one loved Alpha Protocol :)

Kritz

Banned
You have Ian for AI?

I had him for that two years ago. :lol

I'm a KXT101 Tutor this semester!

Ian is the best. He taught 1/4 of a semester of Algorithms when Jules went away, as well as teaching me for Game Fundamentals.

Last year I crashed his Game Fundamental tutorial class and spent a good half hour talking abour Journey. (There were only 5 or so actual students in the class and they were too busy playing Prototype) Ian is also the only reason I've ever played a Virtual Boy. That guy goes the extra mile in terms of engaging people. Or distracting them. Not sure which.

For some reason I tend not to be on third floor much. I guess now I'm doing Projects I won't have much of a choice.

... god I hope I get a good group for Projects.

Stackboy

Went to Soundwave in Brisbane, highlights were Red Fang, The Vandals, Flogging Molly, Garbage and Blink 182. Paramore are surprisingly tight musicians too.

Felt weird that I didn't hit the main stage all day, but all the METAL acts didn't interest me.

Come on translink, I know it's raining but three buses not showing up is just ridiculous. Walking in an hour late to the first lecture of the semester is not how I envisioned this morning.
Blink 182 were always known for their sloppy playing, not like they are well respected for their actual playing or anything, they write catchy pop punk tunes!

Offspring have a stronger punk background before they jump on the pop punk bandwagon so at least they can fall back on that.

Offspring back in 2003 (Conspiracy of One tour?) would have been my first concert, my best mate who lived in Geelong even bought tickets. But then my Dad told me he didn't want me to go. So fucking angry :/

STILL so fucking angry about that :/

Sum 41 getting pretty old too!

Hard luck when your wife dumps you for the paddle pop lion too :/

A Perfect Circle would be godly to see.

GODLY.
Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that. They're probably playing a sideshow down in Victoria this week if you ever wanna live out that childhood fantasy.

I think one of blinks problems was the shitty tech design. All the other bands had a bit of lighting and footage of them on the big screens. Blink had these awful filters over the cameras with bananas and bombs floating around so you couldn't even see the band.

Deryck looks like hes aged a lot even since I first saw them in 2008. He still put on a great show, I love seeing them live. But yeah, if their new album is anything to go by he hasnt taken the divorce well at all. Its a darn shame, they made a cute couple.
Caught the end of a perfect circle. They were great! Id really like to hear more of them. Any recommendations?

Yup, suitcase suit was frucking mindblowingly stupid.
;.; it was cool! Even if it was completely unrealistic.

Went to Soundwave in Brisbane, highlights were Red Fang, The Vandals, Flogging Molly, Garbage and Blink 182. Paramore are surprisingly tight musicians too.

Felt weird that I didn't hit the main stage all day, but all the METAL acts didn't interest me.
Garbage and paramore's van got caught in flash flooding on the way down to Sydney, so paramore ended up playing at 10pm and I think garbage were canceled. Paramore were really good, I'm glad I stuck around for them.

I went over to the main stage for bullet for my Valentine and linkin park but it was kinda a hassle to move around. Punk stage was pretty solid anyway :p

Ian is the best. He taught 1/4 of a semester of Algorithms when Jules went away, as well as teaching me for Game Fundamentals.

Last year I crashed his Game Fundamental tutorial class and spent a good half hour talking abour Journey. (There were only 5 or so actual students in the class and they were too busy playing Prototype) Ian is also the only reason I've ever played a Virtual Boy. That guy goes the extra mile in terms of engaging people. Or distracting them. Not sure which.

For some reason I tend not to be on third floor much. I guess now I'm doing Projects I won't have much of a choice.

... god I hope I get a good group for Projects.

There is like a 99% chance we've met or at least crossed paths at some point in the last couple of years.

Kritz

Banned
There is like a 99% chance we've met or at least crossed paths at some point in the last couple of years.

Look out for the morbidly obease guy with a giant bomb hoodie. Well, whenever it gets cold again. Alternatively anything with a video game on a shirt being worn by a fat guy. There are only like five fat guys in utas so it's not like I'm hard to find.

I met a fluoride crazy at a party over New Year's. Was a full-on conspiracy nut, had a keyring radiation detector and everything. Remarked on being unhappy with a couple of us drinking tap water through the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom