• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the aftermath of the Kurt Tippett saga Sydney get him for nothing.

Really goes against the grain that the reigning premiers can sign on a player of his quality without having to give up anything. The best team in the comp has now been made significantly stronger. Kind of hope it blows up on them

Yagharek

True.

Ive long since assumed the AFL is a lopsided competition with freebies handed out to strong teams from time to time. Look at brisbanes free premierships.

AFL is more like WWE than a balanced competition.

The ABC also sought interviews with Greig and Christian, but was told the DJs were only talking to commercial TV to try and please commercial media partners.

I hope commerical radio dies in a fucking fire. Seriously. Nice to hear they could be fucked by the code of practice.
Terrible tale all round.

4420272-3x2-700x467.jpg

Yagharek

Hey ausgaf photgraphers

I'm looking for a birthday gift for someone who is relatively new to but enjoys taking photos.
They have the camera and some lenses and the interest in taking photos, but what is probably missing is the knowledge and experience.

If anyone could recommend some resources for learning how to take some great photos it would be appreciated. I'm looking at something like this as an idea right now, so thoughts would be welcome.

http://www.boffinsbookshop.com.au/books/9780205718009/photography-10th-edition

Fusebox

Banned
I hope commerical radio dies in a fucking fire. Seriously. Nice to hear they could be fucked by the code of practice.
Terrible tale all round.

It's all a load of shit imo. If the nurse wasn't mentally unstable and hadn't killed herself nobody would give a fuck about this. Australian shock jocks don't come anywhere near the shock value of US shock jocks but our media doesn't have much else to report on so they try and turn anything they do into a huge issue and then most of Australia spends the next month arguing over dumb stories about people like Kyle Sandilands and whoever these latest DJs were.

Salazar

It's all a load of shit imo. If the nurse wasn't mentally unstable and hadn't killed herself nobody would give a fuck about this.

I think dipshits trying to publicly humiliate people going about their lives and doing their jobs is something we can and should actively discourage.

It's all a load of shit imo. If the nurse wasn't mentally unstable and hadn't killed herself nobody would give a fuck about this. Australian shock jocks don't come anywhere near the shock value of US shock jocks but our media doesn't have much else to report on so they try and turn anything they do into a huge issue and then most of Australia spends the next month arguing over dumb stories about people like Kyle Sandilands and whoever these latest DJs were.

If you think Aussie media is going nuts over this you should see the Pom media reaction. Even before the suicide. They've gone ballistic. A scandal involving the royals (if only by a thread), media acting up, Australians, and a death? It's like heaven for red top tabliods

senahorse

Agreed, what the DJ's did was silly and that's it. There was no malice and the whole thing (mostly because of the UK's tabloids, who incidentally at first were saying she should be sacked...) has been blown way out of proportion.

I don't like the radio network (hell I don't really like any radio except the 'talking' broadcasts) but this is just another example of media hyperbole.

Fusebox

Banned
If you think Aussie media is going nuts over this you should see the Pom media reaction. Even before the suicide. They've gone ballistic. A scandal involving the royals (if only by a thread), media acting up, Australians, and a death? It's like heaven for red top tabliods

True, but this is the same British media that make their money by invading the privacy of the Royal family every chance they get.

I think dipshits trying to publicly humiliate people going about their lives and doing their jobs is something we can and should actively discourage.

Honestly, I don't think public humiliation was the goal of the prank call.

jambo

I used to use a great little app called Consume on my iPhone to track data usage across a number of accounts.

Now that I have my new Galaxy S3, what are some good Android alternatives?

It's all a load of shit imo. If the nurse wasn't mentally unstable and hadn't killed herself nobody would give a fuck about this.
All?
Nobody?

Pretty sure people (myself included) were disgusted at the original prank call even before the suicide.

Australian shock jocks don't come anywhere near the shock value of US shock jocks but our media doesn't have much else to report on so they try and turn anything they do into a huge issue and then most of Australia spends the next month arguing over dumb stories about people like Kyle Sandilands and whoever these latest DJs were.
Oh that is good then. At least they aren't as bad as US shock jocks I guess.

In relation to the media coverage I have avoided the usual suspects who blow stuff up for the sake of getting people riled up. I feel the ABC have reported on the events in a proper manner, in my opinion.

Sure, but not to the point of accusing them of murder.
Anyone who accuses them of murder is a moron.

Honestly, I don't think public humiliation was the goal of the prank call.
It was the end result though. As soon as it went to air it was a public humiliation. Why did they record it? If they just wanted to joke around why did they feel the need to record it?

The DJ's are fuckwits who didn't think about the consequences of their actions but the editorial staff at the station are the real cunts. Never should have made it to air.

The hospital in question has reacted really poorly too. Sending a letter to her family? Couldn't someone drive out and have a chat to them? Not sure what messages were passed along to the Nurse either.

Some people just get worked up over stupid things, can't be helped.

Would you be upset at the idea that the details of your wifes pregnancy are being beemed into radios across the country, and from the internet internationally? Without your consent?

Would you be happy if your private telephone conversations were available for people to listen to on the internet?

markot

Banned
None of this would have happened if Cromwell wasn't an arse and the Brits brought back the monarchy. So let's blame the real villain of the piece. Oliver Cromwell and the puritans.

Fusebox

Banned
Would you be upset at the idea that the details of your wifes pregnancy are being beemed into radios across the country, and from the internet internationally? Without your consent?

Would you be happy if your private telephone conversations were available for people to listen to on the internet?

What are you talking about? The details of her pregnancy were already widely public before the call, there was no new information revealed as a result of the call.

Anyway, lets take this to the actual thread to avoid duplicating posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503160

Danoss

Hey ausgaf photgraphers

I'm looking for a birthday gift for someone who is relatively new to but enjoys taking photos.
They have the camera and some lenses and the interest in taking photos, but what is probably missing is the knowledge and experience.

If anyone could recommend some resources for learning how to take some great photos it would be appreciated. I'm looking at something like this as an idea right now, so thoughts would be welcome.

http://www.boffinsbookshop.com.au/books/9780205718009/photography-10th-edition

My picks are, in order of importance:
  • Understanding Exposure teaches the 'exposure triangle', which explains each of the three main camera settings of ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. It shows you what each of them do, how they interact and how not only to use them correctly, but be creative with them. There is more to the book than this, but this is the biggest hurdle for most to jump over. It does all this in an easy to understand way, with clear examples. A must own for any photographer.

• The Photographer's Eye is all about composition. There is much more to composing a photo than the well known 'rule of thirds' and this book goes into it in detail. Once you know how to correctly expose an image and the different creative ways to do so, learning how to frame your scene to make it interesting is the next step.
Once they've read these, it'll be up to them to make a tonne of mistakes that they can learn from. These books will give them the great start that will help them take better photos that they'll be happy with, faster.

If these inspire them and they really love photography, it'll make gift-giving down the line a piece of cake once you know what type photography they enjoy most.

Hope this is helpful.

Yagharek

This is a radio station that conducted a lie detector test with a rape victim (underage at that), and had a reunion of two sisters from Burma (or Cambodia) and threatened to send one back home if the one residing in Australia got a quiz question wrong.

They (the station, not just kyle, jackie, and these two new clowns) have a track record of tasteless "pranks" which really just goes to show they are morally vacuous halfwits who have the temerity to speak up and claim privilege of free speech whenever their lack of common courtesy or humanity comes back to bite them in the arse. They prey on people in emotionally weak states, and pander to the braindead audience of halfwits and imbeciles that like to parade stupidity in free speech as something to aspire to.

Let's ignore for now they may have broken a law in pre-recording and broadcasting without consent.
Let's ignore they attempted to obtain medical records via impersonating a relative.
Let's ignore the fact that someone is dead because of their callous prank and the resulting reaction.

But do not ignore the track record of tastelessness this station has maintained for the best part of a decade. Only the morally bankrupt would stand up for them when it is clear they have been abusing the spirit of the law (if not the letter) for as long as possible for cheap hits and laughs.

They deserve the backlash. They deserve no sympathy.

Next up from 2Day FM: prank calls from Bali to victims of the nightclub bombing pretending to be Adbu Bakr Bashir. Calls to black saturday survivors warning them of a wildfire approaching their temporary accommodation. Maybe even a reunion for the families of missing backpackers with Ivan Milat hey? It's all just a prank remember!

My picks are, in order of importance:
  • Understanding Exposure teaches the 'exposure triangle', which discusses each of the three main camera settings of ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. It shows you what each of them do, how they interact and how not only to use them correctly, but be creative with them. A must own for any photographer.

• The Photographer's Eye is all about composition. There is much more to composing a photo than the well known 'rule of thirds' and this book goes into it in detail. Once you know how to correctly expose an image and the different creative ways to do so, learning how to frame your scene to make it interesting is the next step.
Once they've read these, it'll be up to them to make a tonne of mistakes that they can learn from. These books will give them the great start that will help them take better photos that they'll be happy with, faster.

If these inspire them and they really love photography, it'll make gift-giving down the line a piece of cake once you know what type photography they enjoy most.

Hope this is helpful.

We will see. Thanks for the recommendations, I will have a look at them today :)

Fusebox

Banned
This is a radio station that conducted a lie detector test with a rape victim (underage at that), and had a reunion of two sisters from Burma (or Cambodia) and threatened to send one back home if the one residing in Australia got a quiz question wrong.

Nobody at the station knew she was a rape victim. It was poorly handled but trying to portray the incident as some kind of 'rape prank' is disingenuous at best.

Yagharek

Nobody at the station knew she was a rape victim. It was poorly handled but trying to portray the incident as some kind of 'rape prank' is disingenuous at best.

Oh come off it. They knew she was extremely uncomfortable talking about it. That alone on national radio is going to have potential for serious implications. Its reckless stupidity.

Fusebox

Banned
Oh come off it. They knew she was extremely uncomfortable talking about it. That alone on national radio is going to have potential for serious implications. Its reckless stupidity.

I'm not sure what you mean. Extremely uncomfortable talking about what?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the station isn't responsible for what happened. A dopey phone prank combined with a mentally unstable prankee is a bad recipe, but I don't agree with this whole Today Tonight style angry mob mentality that desperately needs someone to blame and punish.

Yagharek

I'm not sure what you mean. Extremely uncomfortable talking about what?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the station isn't responsible for what happened. A dopey phone prank combined with a mentally unstable prankee is a bad recipe, but I don't agree with this whole Today Tonight style angry mob mentality that desperately needs someone to blame and punish.

The transcript and audio of the discussion has her repeatedly asking if she had to answer. She said she didnt want to talk about it and was pressed on the issue. If the hosts cant detect obvious subtext that it is a sensitive subject for her to talk about then they are morons. If they can detect it and pressed on despite it, they are insensitive.

For what it's worth, the doorstopping harrassment team at places like Today Tonight are the ones defending the practice only because they are as morally bankrupt and contemptible as the radio hosts. They have a history of lies and fraud with respect to portrayal of people in their stories. If anything, the Today Tonight response is as callous as it always has been.

People have had enough with gutter journalism and the results it leads to. You can argue "unintended consequences" all you like, but the problem is with so much callousness in the first place, it's unsurprising to see a suicide happen every now and then as a result. The media act with scant regard for anyone's wellbeing. They act purely with mob mentality, and as soon as someone gets hurt they put their hands up like an innocent child and say "I didn't know that would happen!".

They're a bunch of cunts.

Yagharek

Hypothetical scenario 1: Prank call a hospital and get a patient's confidential details. Outcome: police visit.

Hypothetical scenario 2: Prank call a hospital and get a patient's confidential details, broadcast it on public radio. Outcome: support for the pranksters from the lowest common denominator of shock media.

legend166

Really goes against the grain that the reigning premiers can sign on a player of his quality without having to give up anything. The best team in the comp has now been made significantly stronger. Kind of hope it blows up on them

:D

:D :D :D :D

:D :D

Yagharek

Change of subject from me. I was looking at the GOTY media picks thread so far and these are the current standings:

Mass Effect 3 - 2
The Walking Dead - 2
Borderlands 2 - 1
Guild Wars 2 - 1
Halo 4 - 1
Max Payne 3 - 1

Obviously not too many games yet, but I'm surprised at how few of them (none) Ive played. Normally year to year I would have played at least half of the games that are under consideration.

Rezbit

Well, it really is Adelaide's fault. We've known that since trading and drafting began, if you play hardball and a player wants to leave, you are fucked. Same thing happened with Luke Ball. Also, Sydney are not getting him for nothing, they are paying a fucking shitload for a player who has kicked 188 goals. Pretty risky.

True.

Ive long since assumed the AFL is a lopsided competition with freebies handed out to strong teams from time to time. Look at brisbanes free premierships.

AFL is more like WWE than a balanced competition.

I don't even care about Brisbane but that's a dumb comment.

Omikron

Change of subject from me. I was looking at the GOTY media picks thread so far and these are the current standings:

Obviously not too many games yet, but I'm surprised at how few of them (none) Ive played. Normally year to year I would have played at least half of the games that are under consideration.

Best games this year:
The Walking Dead
Crusader Kings II
Football Manager 2013

Until I remember something else I forgot. ;)

I would be happy if this lead to better privacy and higher standards in the media, but who am I kidding. Nothing's ever gonna change:(

I've never understood the appeal of prank calls "hey look a person is annoyed and confused that we're calling them LOL". I hope this ban ends up being more permanent because it's one of the worst kinds of brainrot allowed to air on those shitty shows.

Fusebox

Banned
I've never understood the appeal of prank calls "hey look a person is annoyed and confused that we're calling them LOL". I hope this ban ends up being more permanent because it's one of the worst kinds of brainrot allowed to air on those shitty shows.

You should watch an episode of Crank Yankers, it might make you appreciate a good prank call.

Shaneus

You should watch an episode of Crank Yankers, it might make you appreciate a good prank call.
I actually quite liked the Guido Hatzis album when it was out a few years back. At least, I thought it was funny!

Some of the Merrick & Rosso stuff on their album wasn't too bad either.

Having said that, I'm yet to see any Crank Yankers at all. Closest I've come is hearing a couple of Jerky Boys albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom