• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Man crackdown was so good. I need to play through that game again.
I knew I liked you.

Today was a pretty important milestone - my mancave that we've spent the entire year building finally has working power. All that's left now is plastering the walls, painting the walls (my idea of having each of the four walls the same colours as the buttons on the SNES control pad has not gone down well), installing some flooring and moving all my junk in...hopefully by the end of January.

God damn, I'm excited. It's going to be a great room to play video games and make comics in.

I am 38 years old and I am building a cubby house.

Kritz

Banned
I knew I liked you.

Today was a pretty important milestone - my mancave that we've spent the entire year building finally has working power. All that's left now is plastering the walls, painting the walls (my idea of having each of the four walls the same colours as the buttons on the SNES control pad has not gone down well), installing some flooring and moving all my junk in...hopefully by the end of January.

God damn, I'm excited. It's going to be a great room to play video games and make comics in.

Put big ass ABXY letters on each wall. That'd make it rad.

N0VAM0D

New photo. This is from the Shukkeien Garden in Hiroshima:

That's gorgeous. Damn, I can't wait to go to Japan.

JEALOUS

Also, I am so tempted to pick up a Vita tomorrow. I'm supposed to be saving for my trip, but I don't know if I can wait much longer. I think I'll grab it. Agh, but money. I'm so indecisive!
help

Jintor

Finished Halo 4, it's a little better than my initial impressions of "Oh god it's more fucking Halo", but it's still more fucking Halo

Still cool to play co-op and was legit interested-ish in the story by the end so good job 343 I guess

Rlan

THQ is giving away copies of Metro 2033 to Facebook fans (Steam Redeemable)

If you didn't pay a whole dollar for the Humble Bundle.

To prep gamers for the release of Metro: Last Light next year, THQ today announced plans to give away copies of the original Metro 2033 game through Facebook.

Starting today and continuing through Dec. 16, community members of the official Metro Facebook page will receive a code for a free copy of the game for Windows PC, while supplies last.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/11/3750234/free-metro-2033

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/THQDemos?sk...-v2HTqRsjEzsp2NB-7xG_JCfv344XYdHN-4aL_d-dQT74

Kritz

Banned
Metro 2033 is a sweet game. Y'all should play it. Make sure you do it on Recon or whatever the patched difficulty options are. Makes enemies way less spongy with the disadvantage of making yourself less spongy.

hey guys you seen this. its about space
Any MelGAFfer interested in drinks Friday?

maybe
pretty sure iv got nothing better to do
I don't know what this means :(

What are you boycotting and why? What happened in the Halo 4 thread? Your post makes no sense.

agreed
Haha, I was getting tips from Aon/kritz in steam chat. Apparently my attempt to remove panelling via a rocket launcher was incorrect.

me too but seeing as i havnt played the game my tips were more along the lines of "stop driving into that tree"
Nobody at the station knew she was a rape victim. It was poorly handled but trying to portray the incident as some kind of 'rape prank' is disingenuous at best.

yeah i originally heard it described on the news as a rape prank
i was very confused at what the heck actually happened untill i realised people are idiots and it wasnt a "rape prank" at all
what is a "rape prank" anyway
haha we're raping you. jokes we arnt, your on candid camera"????

Finished Halo 4, it's a little better than my initial impressions of "Oh god it's more fucking Halo", but it's still more fucking Halo

Still cool to play co-op and was legit interested-ish in the story by the end so good job 343 I guess

I feel like you and I could host a contrary opinions thing Jint. Where we coherently disagree on a lot things. Except XCom.

I really like Halo, even though it was more Halo, but the story took a turn for the worse once
I had to save the world instead of just Cortana
. Probably not worth a spoiler, but just in case I guess.

Yagharek

Stayed up way too late last night playing uncharted vita. Up till 11. Had to be up 430.

Characters are good in the game. Still better than uc3 and approaches uc1 in parts.

senahorse

I knew I liked you.

Exciting times :D

I love my man-cave. Currently have it setup with 2 gaming areas, 1 retro area with a 36" Sony HD CRT for SNES,N64,MD,PSX,PS2,XBOX,MAME etc and 1 modern gaming area with Pioneer plasma. This weekend I am picking up a bar fridge for it and currently have a star wars dartboard on the way:

GG009121.jpg

Next few things I would like to do is put in a projector, pool table and build a dedicated MAME arcade cabinet (though I wouldn't mind buying a retro Space Invaders cabinet or something similar and modding it). My gf likes it as well as it keeps all my clutter in one space (and hers, a lot of the older consoles are hers), though we also have a study each and she got the larger one, so we are both happy :D

...and the Wii U is playable from my bedroom despite having the TV room wall, ensuite and wardrobe between the Wii U and the bed.

Gaz, are you sure that your mancave isn't just this

legoshed.jpg

I need to get back to playing Halo 4 and the Wii U. ATM I'm only playing BlackOps II multi and NSMB U (from any room other than the one the console is in). BOII is the first CoD in years where the Scorestreaks (formerly Killstreaks) don't ruin every single match for the team that's behind. It's, gasp, balanced.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Got like two missions left in it right now.

It's a enjoyable campaign. But it's definitely no 3 or Reach. In fact I'd say it's the worst Halo campaign since 2. The prometheans are just awful enemies to fight esp the knights.

They are some fun levels though, and the graphics are SO PRETTY!

senahorse

Hey x3n: http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=170

Also, I used the new thermometer for the first time on the weekend. It's better than the other one in almost every way, but the damn BBQ probe doesn't fit properly in the clip. The probes in this one are thicker, I guess to handle higher heat, but it the hole in the clip is exactly the same size. The old probe fits perfectly in both clips! It's annoying.

That looks awesome. We had a look at the Kamado Joe while we were at BBQ Galore a week or two ago, very nice looking unit. I think the Oval in your link is where it's at though, can't wait to get one. Just need to redo the backyard first :D

We have been doing a roast on the BBQ every Sunday night now for nearly two months. My initial fears about the BBQ probe (the ambient one) being the wrong temp have been unfounded and it was just the dodgy gauge in the hood which was wrong. We have the same issue with attaching the BBQ probe and clip, we bought a roasting tray and clip it to that, it's not perfect but does the job. Still need to try smoking, have you gotten around to it yet?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat New Super Mario Bros U!

Was an awesome experience. Despite the dull aethestics. Nintendo have really fucking nailed the formula here. So much amazing and creative level design. Off to collect the star coins and do the challenges now!

Final boss was kind of forgettable though. I think Yoshi Island is the only 2D mario game with "awesome" boss fights imo.

Fredescu

Still need to try smoking, have you gotten around to it yet?
I bought some hickory from Barbecue's Galore and I occasionally put a piece or two on top of the charcoal. It adds a slight smoky flavour. I haven't used a lot in one go as I'm told it's better to use too little than too much. Too much can give it a bitter taste. I think I also need to find a cheaper local option, maybe some source of Redgum, since the bagged stuff from BBQG is so expensive.

Omikron

Omi's so called "game of the year":

Ofi5U.gif

I do love a good animation bug :D

I have seen some hilarious things in the actual game, like an attacking player that dribbled the ball across the entire open goal, only to cross it back from outside the box for a guy to score an amazing header.

Jintor

I feel like you and I could host a contrary opinions thing Jint. Where we coherently disagree on a lot things. Except XCom.

I really like Halo, even though it was more Halo, but the story took a turn for the worse once
I had to save the world instead of just Cortana
. Probably not worth a spoiler, but just in case I guess.

Oh yeah I didn't give a shit about any of that nonsense, but the impact it had on blue lady was interesting

except the end where it became total bullshit

legend166

So the guy finally came to set up our internet at home. We're on TPG, but they send out the Telstra guy I think.

Apparently only one of the phone sockets works. What the heck? Then the guy is like "If you want to have a second socket, Telstra charges $130 and then $15 a month."

Anyone ever heard of that before? We're not just talking about a phone line here, but phone sockets to plug things in to.

And also the internet isn't working at the same time as the phone.

Sigh.

Oh yeah I didn't give a shit about any of that nonsense, but the impact it had on blue lady was interesting

except the end where it became total bullshit

I thought they were telling a way more personal story about saving a loved one. That shit doesn't happen in AAA video games. Not well anyway. But they had to bail to save the universe. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurggghhhh. Fuck off.

Danoss

Do you need a line filter or something?

Yeah, charging by the month for an extra outlet doesn't sound right at all.

Not right at all. Unless they've confused it with an additional line, but even that would be wrong because line rental is about $23 at the least.

Installation charge is probably about right. Home owners are responsible for all cabling and connections within the boundary of the home. Telstra is responsible for the equipment up to the curb only.

So the guy finally came to set up our internet at home. We're on TPG, but they send out the Telstra guy I think.

Apparently only one of the phone sockets works. What the heck? Then the guy is like "If you want to have a second socket, Telstra charges $130 and then $15 a month."

Anyone ever heard of that before? We're not just talking about a phone line here, but phone sockets to plug things in to.

Sigh.

Sounds like a load of shit to me.

Video game stories are shit. The writers are full of themselves

Fixed

Tradie talking to a woman? Instant dollar signs in his eyes.

Total bullshit. TPG probably rent their lines through Telstra, Dodo are the same.

Sigh.

Utter rubbish about the second socket pet month charges. Just call a sparky up and they should be able to do it. That's who put an extra socket in my last place.

Shaneus

Depends if they're specifically talking about just a second socket or a second line. Sounds like they're talking about the latter with those charges.

Edit: Sleeping Dogs downloading 4.5gb update? What the?

senahorse

How much of an effort do you think it's going to take to get a landlord to fix telephone wiring in a house?

Good luck. I can't speak for NSW, but in QLD there is no requirement to provide a working phone line (unless specified on the lease) in a rental property. When we were renting we moved into a house without a phone line (it had been recently renovated and raised), the landlord wouldn't pay a cent and we had to pay $360 to have one installed. If it wasn't for the great real estate agent and no issues with bond refund(even though there could have been due to out cats) I would have cut the line when we moved out.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halo stories are shit. The writers are full of themselves
Bungie's Halo always felt like it had a really awesome universe, that I felt was held-back from it's full potential by compromising the storytelling for the sake of EPIC ACTION GAMEPLAY. Not that I mind that of course.

legend166

It's not that there's no telephone line. We've got one, and there's sockets all over the damn house. But apparently only one of them actually works. The rest are busted.

Anyway, going to see Bruce Springsteen in March. Looking forward to a three hour concert.

senahorse

Again, if it's not on the lease, unless you have a really nice landlord there probably is no requirement to fix it. If you need it fixed, just call up a couple of ACMA licensed cablers and get one of them to come and fix it or install a new socket. You don't need to get Telstra to do it.

But there is no harm in at least approaching the landlord, you might get lucky.

It's not that there's no telephone line. We've got one, and there's sockets all over the damn house. But apparently only one of them actually works. The rest are busted.

Not too much of a job then, hopefully the landlord will organise someone and foot the bill. Something along those lines would be somewhere between $60-200 depending on requirements for us here. Just had to organise one today. Some electricians will do it, otherwise best to hit up a telecommunications service.

Yagharek

Bungie's Halo always felt like it had a really awesome universe, that I felt was held-back from it's full potential by compromising the storytelling for the sake of EPIC ACTION GAMEPLAY. Not that I mind that of course.

They alluded to a background story but never fleshed it out. What was in the games is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom