• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
I'm really struggling to think of a standout this year.

4vVGT.jpg

2012 was a surprisingly good year. Walking Dead, Hotline Miami and Journey were certainly highlights for me. I even thought some of the AAA stuff was good, like Max Payne 3 and Sleepy Dogs. You also got cool stuff like Thirty Flights of Loving, FTL, DayZ, Super Hexagon, Dear Esther, Fez and Planetside 2.

I think I enjoyed myself this year more than last year. Looking at my GOTY picks for last year, I certainly believe 2012 was better than 2011. I hope 2013 ends up better than it looks at the moment - a bit barren.

hamchan

I think the best games this year were those I didn't have much expectations for or had even heard of. The majority of hyped games this year i.e Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed 3, have all been disappointments.

I think the best games this year were those I didn't have much expectations for or had even heard of. The majority of hyped games this year i.e Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed 3, have all been disappointments.

It's been a weird year like that. But there have been some high profile games that have turned out awesomely too. Xcom, Halo, Dishonoured, Transformers, I'm sure there were more but off the top of my head they all lived up to or exceeded most people's hopes.

And then the surprised on top of that. Good year for sure

Rezbit

You're right hamchan, you're right.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Asuras Wrath on 360 for $19 posted
Catherine on PS3 for $23 posted (same price at EB if you can find a copy)

SHANEUS LAF JINTOR ETC

Oh yeah, at the meet-up last sunday. I actually did manage to snag a copy of Catherine for $23 afterwards at EB Games.

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet though.

I think I enjoyed myself this year more than last year. Looking at my GOTY picks for last year, I certainly believe 2012 was better than 2011. I hope 2013 ends up better than it looks at the moment - a bit barren.
GTA V, Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Watch_Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, The Cave.

Not shaping up too badly really.

Anyone been following Amnesia Fortnight?

Any MelGAFfer interested in drinks Friday?

New photo. This is from the Shukkeien Garden in Hiroshima:

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
2012 was honestly a pretty dull year in gaming for me. 2011 had like Skyward Sword, Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR, Super Mario Land 3D, Dark Souls, Xenoblade Chronicles, RAGE, Skyim, Tactics ogre, LoH : TITS, Child of Eden, Serious Sam 3 BFE and so on. I haven't played much 2012 games compared to most, but the amount I do actually want to play is pretty miniscule compared to the overall line-up of 2011.

Amusingly my favorite game of the year so far is Guild Wars 2.

2013 is guaranteed to be a better year at the very least for my own tastes - Wasteland 2, Dead State, GTAV, MGS Ground Zeroes (possible) MGS: Rising, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Last of Us, Anarchy reigns, Shin megami tensei IV + Soul hackers, Monster Hunter Tri HD + Monster Hunter 4, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Ace Attorney 5 + Ace Attorney vs Phoenix Wright, Phantasy star online 2 (english).

Also hoping that Yakuza 5, Persona 5, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 2 will make it next year. Would be fucking awesome if they did.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i might be keen cods, gonna try and clean up a bit at home tonight for the kitty and will see how much else needs doing as ill be in sydney tomorrow night

My GOTY this year is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. There's not a lot of overlap in the games I like enough to play straight away and the games that typically make (let alone win) the GOTY nominations.

I'd count Xenoblade, but my version technically did not release this year.

Also, I predict the Wii U will be better than the Wii in a lot of respects with the caveat that it will still be disappointing to Nintendo fans. It'll get trolled for not selling as much as Wii did, but more importantly, it will lack critical third party support. This will happen for the usual reasons, which I need not outline to you guys.

Basically, if you're a Nintendo fan with lots of free time or if you like western developed games, you will require a Durango.

I would avoid buying a PS4.

.rar files seem to be downloading properly again! Yay! This is the best news all fucking month! Fuck 25th December, Christmas came today!

I actually thought HolyCheck was getting a date on Saturday, not literally a cat.
Same thing isn't it?

Oh yeah, at the meet-up last sunday. I actually did manage to snag a copy of Catherine for $23 afterwards at EB Games.

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet though.
I still need to buy another copy so I can keep the CE mint :)

Also, I predict the Wii U will be better than the Wii in a lot of respects with the caveat that it will still be disappointing to Nintendo fans. It'll get trolled for not selling as much as Wii did, but more importantly, it will lack critical third party support. This will happen for the usual reasons, which I need not outline to you guys.

Basically, if you're a Nintendo fan with lots of free time or if you like western developed games, you will require a Durango.

Kinda like this generation? I get that feeling too. If Sony want to perform better (I don't think they would be worse with their stable improving every year) the Gaikai purchase will really need to pay off. Otherwise it will be this generation all over again.

Kritz

Banned

At launch, sure. Later on, nah. PS3's had so many quality games late in its life. My purchasing plan:

Xbox Dudebrango - Launch
Playstation Quaddies - When it gets 3-4 good western exclusives
New Ass PC Parts - Within a few months of Xbox Launch

Unless I cave in ideally I'll never buy a Wii U, and I'm also never going to buy a handheld again. Well, never's a long time, but certainly not next generation.

I imagine Microsoft and Sony will start seriously locking down games come console launch year. So unfortunately it's probably infeasible to be PC only as much as I'd like to be.

Yagharek

I cannot see a reason to get the next xbox. It's more a case of their build quality reputation and responses to fifa hacks and street date breaks that ha turned me off all microsoft products forever. Even telstra has better customer service these days.

Wii U I would prefer to be my next gen system at this stage, based on number of games I enjoyed on Wii. But I want to see battery life, loading and performance issues addressed before jumping in. PS4 I would consider as an alternative if it does not meet those criteria, but not at launch.

edit: also, playing Uncharted Vita today. It's pretty good, but I wouldnt pay for it. PSN+ has served me well in this instance. I dont like how if you miss a photo opportunity you cant go back to the bit you missed. One funny bit saw me hopping across rocks in a stream. I tried to go back the way I came, dipped a toe in water and poor Drake died. Hillariously bad.

However, when you are doing what the game wants you to do it is far better than UC3.

Omikron

I cannot see a reason to get the next xbox. It's more a case of their build quality reputation and responses to fifa hacks and street date breaks that ha turned me off all microsoft products forever. Even telstra has better customer service these days.

Wii U I would prefer to be my next gen system at this stage, based on number of games I enjoyed on Wii. But I want to see battery life, loading and performance issues addressed before jumping in. PS4 I would consider as an alternative if it does not meet those criteria, but not at launch.
Steam box could be a thing for you.

Yagharek

Steam box could be a thing for you.

At this point I wouldn't rule it out. My only concern would be if it has a windows OS on it. I wouldn't even want to give them money indirectly. But in principle, a steam box would be very tempting. Depends on what happens to a few of the franchises I enjoy.

Omikron

At this point I wouldn't rule it out. My only concern would be if it has a windows OS on it. I wouldn't even want to give them money indirectly. But in principle, a steam box would be very tempting. Depends on what happens to a few of the franchises I enjoy.
It will be unix.

Is this to do with Usenet?
Z5sln.jpg

Close door, open window. Or in this case, reopen the window which became jammed last week for an unknown (and creepy) reason.

edit: also, playing Uncharted Vita today. It's pretty good, but I wouldnt pay for it. PSN+ has served me well in this instance.
If you lived in Warrnambool you wouldn't say that. Although it would also mean you would probably have to go drinking with me, so it ain't all bad!

edit: also did you see Arkham City is free on PS+ at the moment? Also Limbo!
but Limbo fucking sucks. Pretty sure I remember you said the same thing. So you can download it for free and never play it and get to say you didn't pay a cent for it, like I am.

Would be Linux.

Yagharek

If you lived in Warrnambool you wouldn't say that. Although it would also mean you would probably have to go drinking with me, so it ain't all bad!

Ive had my fair share of hell with telstra. Microsoft are far worse than them though. Ive never seen anything as corrupt and with as much disregard for consumers as microsoft this gen. If they didnt have the content on the system and sony kicking own goals all gen they would be third party sega style. (If they had any first party studios left that is).

edit: also did you see Arkham City is free on PS+ at the moment? Also Limbo!
but Limbo fucking sucks. Pretty sure I remember you said the same thing. So you can download it for free and never play it and get to say you didn't pay a cent for it, like I am.

I got both of them thanks. $13 for a semi-complete game is much more justifiable than what they wanted at launch. Although Batman would be quite well suited to vita down the line.

Would be Linux.

Not choc'd. See below:

Not really. Linux Is Not Unix. :p

e2FzX.gif

Fucking imgur extension! I blame Google now, Chrome is a lumbering behemoth at times. Embarrassing for their engineers considering how it fly's through stuff like a graceful gazelle most of the time only to land in a tar pit for 30 seconds of intense struggling before shaking it off, back into flight.

On the note of Choc, did you see on The Project about the Macarthur wind farm? Those old fuckers are kicking up a stink because they don't get $10k a year like their neighbours. Nothing more. My in-laws have a piggery like 3 minutes from there.

The mind is powerful enough to inflict pain on us when we want to be right. Especially if someone else is making an easy profit that we could have easily had if we weren't lazy.

Hopefully the prank phone call shit is regulated properly now. If people don't sign off on it and it is obvious they wouldn't want thousands of people hearing it then it should not be broadcast.

But you weren't choc'd!

Omi should know the difference!

I'm still inflamed that it took me 5 minutes to rehost the damn image I wanted

:(

Also I didn't even notice he said Unix the first time, just saw he posted first and raged :/

I advise against a PS4 primarily because of Sony's financial situation. They're on the road to ruin and mightn't be able to support the system as strongly as they've been accustomed to for the entirety of its life.

Kritz

Banned
I'm never one for boycotting products. The halo 4 thread is amazing and I'm loving every post between Frankie and Skeleton. I'm certain the blame is Microsoft's and Stinkles has likely been told "yo don't fuckin post in that thread that shit's fucked and you're not fixing it we'll just let this issue fade away and be forgotten within a week".

But I never personally had... muuuch issue with the 360's hardware. Sure, my console got the two red rings of death, which you might think I've confused with three rings, but I haven't because two rings is an entirely separate and - apparently - far more expensive thing to warranty on. But aside from that, and also... well, one more hardware failure, I've gotten off fairly lightly. Considering my PS3 also shit itself around the same time (Actually, my PS3 and Xbox 360 shit themselves on the same day. That was fun. Coulda been bad power maybe?), I'm not too harsh on Microsoft's broken fucking consoles.

And I really liked viva pinata and crackdown. Two games I wouldn't have played if I bought a 360 later in the life cycle.

Man crackdown was so good. I need to play through that game again.

Shaneus

I don't know what this means :(

I'm never one for boycotting products. The halo 4 thread is amazing and I'm loving every post between Frankie and Skeleton. I'm certain the blame is Microsoft's and Stinkles has likely been told "yo don't fuckin post in that thread that shit's fucked and you're not fixing it we'll just let this issue fade away and be forgotten within a week".

But I never personally had... muuuch issue with the 360's hardware. Sure, my console got the two red rings of death, which you might think I've confused with three rings, but I haven't because two rings is an entirely separate and - apparently - far more expensive thing to warranty on. But aside from that, and also... well, one more hardware failure, I've gotten off fairly lightly. Considering my PS3 also shit itself around the same time (Actually, my PS3 and Xbox 360 shit themselves on the same day. That was fun. Coulda been bad power maybe?), I'm not too harsh on Microsoft's broken fucking consoles.

And I really liked viva pinata and crackdown. Two games I wouldn't have played if I bought a 360 later in the life cycle.

What are you boycotting and why? What happened in the Halo 4 thread? Your post makes no sense.

(nothing makes no sense to me right now, too doped up on cold and flu medication to understand anything sdkal;hfgewbrl)

Yagharek

I advise against a PS4 primarily because of Sony's financial situation. They're on the road to ruin and mightn't be able to support the system as strongly as they've been accustomed to for the entirety of its life.

Doooooomed? Was there an article a few days back about MS being in dire straights c/- windows 8 flat reception. I seem to recall it, and lots of windows/PC sales are being usurped by tablets and mac products.

Pretty much. Microsoft's MO is to ignore a problem until it hits fever pitch and even then they treat it flippantly with a "things break" type comment. They ignore RROD for a year. They ignored Fifa hacks completely. They won't even entertain the thought of public comment on a few account nukings for buying legit games.

I had one 360 fail and one PS3 fail. 360 gave me a full red screen (not RROD) but a full screen of pure red during Crackdown. Prior symptoms were textures that looked on par with Twisted Metal 2. I think the GPU shat itself.

I had a PS3 die during a firmware update. It just hung, rebooted and was a shell after that. Not a YLOD, but no idea what it was.

Both Sony and MS consoles this gen were built poorly by console standards. But by weight of numbers of customer service no-nos I put MS ahead on the shit list 5 points to 3.

Nothing wrong with the games on 360. Its a customer service problem.

I cannot see a reason to get the next xbox. It's more a case of their build quality reputation and responses to fifa hacks and street date breaks that ha turned me off all microsoft products forever.
For me it's not even that stuff. My 360 Pro, purchased in... 2006? 2007? is still going fine. Just the little hinge in the USB port seems to have broken at some point. Unit itself doesn't miss a beat otherwise.

However, the 360 is clearly heading in the original direction of a generic lounge room unit, which is not for me. They're going to have to show they actually give a shit about games (other than pumping out the occasional Halo, I don't really see it) for me to buy another. Two years ago it would've been a sure thing, but not today.

I don't own a PS3 but it seems to me that Sony are heading in a much better direction, by funding and attracting the more interesting exclusives, have an online offering that seems to be worth paying for (though I guess Live's matchmaking is still probably better?).

Shaneus

For me it's not even that stuff. My 360 Pro, purchased in... 2006? 2007? is still going fine. Just the little hinge in the USB port seems to have broken at some point. Unit itself doesn't miss a beat otherwise.

However, the 360 is clearly heading in the original direction of a generic lounge room unit, which is not for me. They're going to have to show they actually give a shit about games (other than pumping out the occasional Halo, I don't really see it) for me to buy another. Two years ago it would've been a sure thing, but not today.

I don't own a PS3 but it seems to me that Sony are heading in a much better direction, by funding and attracting the more interesting exclusives, have an online offering that seems to be worth paying for (though I guess Live's matchmaking is still probably better?).
IAWTP. I don't see either the 360 or PS3's successors becoming more than some generic home entertainment thing. Nothing they do differentiate themselves from each other enough, other than the fact that there's likely more exclusive stuff on the MS console than Sony's (that being Forza and potentially Project Gotham).

4451830.jpg

This is so delicious. So want the Deluxe package but sooo much money. At least the reissue CD is only $20 locally.

My 2 favourite tracks.

Tried to not long ago. Aged pretty badly. Clunky as all hell.
:(

I don't know what this means :(
You edited the response quote enough to see that there was spoiled text under the image but didn't read it!

I had a PS3 die during a firmware update. It just hung, rebooted and was a shell after that. Not a YLOD, but no idea what it was.
Sounds exactly the same as the WiiU bricking. While updating firmware it overwrites it so that if the process is stopped the whole thing is fucked. As they don't have a backup.

Doooooomed? Was there an article a few days back about MS being in dire straights c/- windows 8 flat reception. I seem to recall it, and lots of windows/PC sales are being usurped by tablets and mac products.
MS's woes affect share price and growth more than they do the company as a going concern.

Nobody's talking about MS not existing in five years' time.

HolyCheck

donkey kong crash course is fast making nintendo land my game of the year.

shits off the hook.
arcade style hard.

so good.

ive never been so angry at a game, yet want so badly to please it

donkey kong crash course is fast making nintendo land my game of the year.

shits off the hook.
arcade style hard.

so good.

ive never been so angry at a game, yet want so badly to please it

Nintendo Land is really the surprise of the year for me. Much greater depth of content that I really expected. Fantastic presentation, too.

I was surprised to learn there was more than one stage in Crash Course. I really thought that would be it, but then there's four of them!?

Shaneus

You edited the response quote enough to see that there was spoiled text under the image but didn't read it!
I thought the black bit was a part of the image, not a spoiler. It still didn't make any sense about some windows and doors or something, but I don't think I'm going to worry about it now. Thanks for the effort anyway, I apologise it wound up being ultimately fruitless :(

I thought the black bit was a part of the image, not a spoiler. It still didn't make any sense about some windows and doors or something, but I don't think I'm going to worry about it now. Thanks for the effort anyway, I apologise it wound up being ultimately fruitless :(

Usenet being cracked down: Door being closed
Direct Downloads now working: window being opened (well, reopened for me really)

HolyCheck

Nintendo Land is really the surprise of the year for me. Much greater depth of content that I really expected. Fantastic presentation, too.

I was surprised to learn there was more than one stage in Crash Course. I really thought that would be it, but then there's four of them!?

i knew there was more than one! but 4! good lord

just made it to the 2nd one tonight. maybe 1/3 of the way through. it's crazy hard compared to the first.

and when ever you get game over you go all the way back to the first stage. feels like a real good quality snes / nes game, but with great visuals.

Yagharek

I agree - there is very little to differentiate the two systems as it is now (software wise). One has competent online, the other plays blurays. But neither have as much to stand out from the other as did the Wii (like it or not it was clearly different).

IAWTP. I don't see either the 360 or PS3's successors becoming more than some generic home entertainment thing. Nothing they do differentiate themselves from each other enough, other than the fact that there's likely more exclusive stuff on the MS console than Sony's (that being Forza and potentially Project Gotham).

I'm not so sure. Ive seen far more first party exclusives from Sony this gen. Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo, God Of War. Microsoft have Halo, Gears, Forza, and used to have things like PGR. I have the impression they used to have first party content then sold all the studios off or shut them down.

(This is not a comment on which games are better, just a comment on which internally developed games are most common on each platform).

Sounds exactly the same as the WiiU bricking. While updating firmware it overwrites it so that if the process is stopped the whole thing is fucked. As they don't have a backup.

I dont know what it was, perhaps the HDD died mid-write and it made it look like a firmware bug. Or triggered one. I didnt have another HDD to verify at the time.

MS's woes affect share price and growth more than they do the company as a going concern.

Nobody's talking about MS not existing in five years' time.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/steve-ballmer-s-nightmare-is-coming-true-181558610.html

This guy is. (Not strictly - just talking about some missteps with w8 and surface).

Kritz

Banned
What are you boycotting and why? What happened in the Halo 4 thread? Your post makes no sense.

(nothing makes no sense to me right now, too doped up on cold and flu medication to understand anything sdkal;hfgewbrl)

I ain't boycottin' nothin'. I'm saying the opposite. Well, maybe if Microsoft banned me for stupid reasons I'd probably not buy another one of their consoles... but until then.

Yeah, it looks really fun! Nintendo did a really poor job of selling it at E3.

I haven't touched Nintendo Land or Zombie U since the day I got the Wii U. Mario, however, I have played the shit out of.

The only reason I haven't played the other games (and Halo 4) is lack of time right now.

Omikron

2 things required for infinite enjoyment of Far Cry 2

1. Silenced Sniper Rifle
2. Anything that creates copious amounts of fire

Alternate between those two and you will never be bored.

Haha, I was getting tips from Aon/kritz in steam chat. Apparently my attempt to remove panelling via a rocket launcher was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom