• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite bands / artists in no order.
Are these eclectic choices or just not really mainstream? They make me feel old since I haven't heard of most if not all...

Seems like a good time to post this:
Music.jpg

Rahk

Everyone with a Vita should check out Surge in the Playstation Mobile store, created by the dev behind Velocity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CyOHlIfKgs

It's basically a match three puzzle game where you drag a line to blocks of the same colour with special blocks along the way, but it's really addictive and fun. Only $3.29.

I'm currently #8
(out of 42)
on the leaderboard!

My favorite bands / artists in no order.

Boris
Agalloch
Yo La Tengo
Animal Collective
Mono
Nujabes
Cyne
Slowdive
World End Girlfriend
The National
Stars of the Lid
Kylesa
Lykathea Aflame
The Microphones / Mount Eerie
Cocteau Twins
Melt-banana
Kate Bush
Deathspell omega

Covers a pretty diverse range of styles methinks. Although there's plenty of other bands I love to death.>:
I know almost none of those.

However... Boris. Can you please tell me more about them? Where are they from, etc?

Yagharek

Everyone with a Vita should check out Surge in the Playstation Mobile store, created by the dev behind Velocity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CyOHlIfKgs

It's basically a match three puzzle game where you drag a line to blocks of the same colour with special blocks along the way, but it's really addictive and fun. Only $3.29.

I'm currently #8
(out of 42)
on the leaderboard!

Thanks to this post I just discovered Velocity.

SHANEUS BUY A VITA OMG \o/

Sum 41 and Blink 182 put out incredible, mature albums. Which was followed up by complete fucking horse shit.
I dunno, sum 41's latest album was pretty catchy. Though it was mostly just deryck whibley complaining about his divorce from Avril.
God I'm old :( I was drinking legally when Self Esteem came out. And 22 when What's My Age came out. Fuck.
I was.... learning to talk. I'm sorry...
Nothing wrong with pop punk.
Pop punk is rad. Its got just the right mix of rockin' guitar and cute boppy bits.
Not sure if weirded out or just dancing.

Yagharek

I think we can all agree that this is the greatest acomplishment in music history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=ocfiPS1CZ-s#t=1m35s

Ive seen Adam Hills live in a small little theatre in Hobart. Something like 50 people in a loft down in Salamanca. He is genuinely even nicer than he is on tv. If such a thing is possible.

There was also a kid who mimed the Vines 'Get Free' with a complete deadpan expression as one of the skits. With a little ZZ Tops guitar spin during the solo.

jambo

Even though I'm only 25 Lafiel makes me feel old with his post of bands that I've never heard of. Although he could be a hipster.

Are you guys like, 60 or something? ;)

Not my fault most of the good guitar music is from the 50s-70s =P

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Are these eclectic choices or just not really mainstream? They make me feel old since I haven't heard of most if not all...

Seems like a good time to post this:
Music.jpg
They aren't mainstream. But I don't think most of them are obscure either. They are pretty well-known amongst most music fans that get their music rec's from the internet.:p it's not like I'm listing obscure bands with 1000-7000 listeners on last.fm or something. Most of my stuff has at least 100k+ listeners on last.fm.:p

I mean everyone who cares about music should have at least heard about Cocteau Twins or Kate Bush at some stage.

However... Boris. Can you please tell me more about them? Where are they from, etc?
Japan.

They make doom metal like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0xkgE97b8 and other stuff that crosses with other styles of music. I could link you more if you like.

Omikron

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet sweet beer.

8)

Had a couple Little Creatures Pale Ales this evening, then played Agricola.

As for music, I mostly listen to the following:
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Anathema
Devin Townsend (in whatever particular guise he is in)
A massive amount of Gothenburg sound bands (Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, Katatonia etc)

jambo

I'm currently listening to Wave 103 from GTA Vice City

01. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes
02. Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11
03. Gary Numan - Cars
04. The Human League - (Keep Feeling) Fascination
05. Blondie - Atomic
06. Nena - 99 Luftballons
07. Kim Wilde - Kids in America
08. Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter
09. Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
10. ABC - Poison Arrow
11. A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
12. The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
13. Animotion - Obsession
14. Spandau Ballet - Gold
15. Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive!
16. Romeo Void - Never Say Never

Solid gold

Yagharek

Yeah.

I cannot fathom why this revision even exists. Wii has, contrary to popular opinion, some amazing online features, namely:

World of Goo
Virtual Console (sucks waiting for releases, but going to a full collection as there is now is overwhelming with lots of content)
Active Mario Kart online community
Excellent news/weather apps
Zelda skyward sword patch tool

legend166

Since we're doing the whole music thing, here are my top 15 artists on last.fm:

Radiohead
The Beatles
The Clash
The Band
Arcade Fire
Sufjan Stevens
Bruce Springsteen
Fleet Foxes
Tom Petty
Billy Joel
Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan
Wilco
Weezer (listened to a lot of Pinkerton and Blue Album, and that's pretty much it)
The Decemberists

Pretty weird mix when I look at it.

Yagharek

Fine. Top 15 is it. Good one Legend, thanks. That'll test the memory. Here goes:

Leonard Cohen (Songs from the Road)
Orbital (Wonky)
Rez soundtrack
Zola Jesus (Conatus) - this is a new purchase so opinions yet to follow
Pink Floyd - The Wall remastered
The Knife - Tomorrow in a Year

That's as far as I've got.

Black Sabath
Led Zepplin
Rolling Stones
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Millencolin
Spiderbait
Trent Reznor/NIN
Radiohead
Daft Punk
Norman Cook/FatboySlim

So after drinking myself into Oblivion™ at the Christmas party on Friday (see note 1) I haven't been able to think about alcohol without that great chap Mr. Liversteen going into cardiac arrest. After todays 35+ degree day though, which included about twice as much work at the office as humanly possible along with a lightning hour round of yard work when I got home, I could feel the ice cold beer calling me. I wanted it inside me. Sooo inside me.

Which was then postponed with a trip to the Christmas/Break up BBQ/Music time for the religious music group my son goes to. They are Church of Christ or some shit, I dunno. All I know is that they do full submersion so apparently my child is a piece of shit in some of their eyes since he is a dirty fucking Uniting creature. Again, I dunno. Hard to make sense out of a few of the fruitloops there for a variety of reasons (see note 2). Thankfully most of the people at the music group aren't like that, they just like God and stuff. So that is cool. They also had cool Mario Bros. gold stars up on the wall in the (basketball) arena, which was a huge plus for me. Anyway they obviously didn't serve alcohol on premises. That made me sad.

But then I got to leave! After cooking the BBQ and setting up all the play equipment and cleaning the BBQ and packing up all the play equipment. Like always. It is a curse. No matter what I event I go to I end up involved in the process even if I try and stay on the exact opposite side of the event. I think it is because I am tall and have a beard.

Oh and when I got to leave! The joy of beer! How sweet it is to be a man with a beer.
vb.jpg

Not sure why (aside from fucking Bernbaum triggering it) but VB really fucking hits the spot this summer. Carlton Draught was always the tap beer around Geelong, VB back home in the country. Carlton always goes down easier and you can drink it all night and forget it is alcoholic until you are vomiting and it tastes like dirty dishwater mixed with meat pies. VB just has that crispness that fills your Q zone with pure beer goodness.

Anyway that is the tale of my night. Thank you for listening.

Note 1: Was held on the Friday afternoon, at the end of the week of my holidays. In which I did fucking nothing. Until Friday morning of course! Did all the handyman stuff around the house I was always putting off as well as carting off 3 trailers loads of bullshit that was accumulated in the shed. Arrived at the Christmas party held at my managers new house that he just bought feeling like a parched man in need of beverage support stat. Smashed down 5 beers and 5 ciders between 4pm and 6pm.
He was nice enough to buy a bottle of Chivas as I had referred to it in the past.
Manager - "Now Rep (Editor's Note - this is not my real name), you better not leave without having some of this damn fine scotch I bought specially for you"
Me - "Well how can I say no!"
<Slide missing>
Me - "Why am I on the couch at home? Why is it morning. Ah. Of course. Hello Mr. Bile my old friend."
Apparently the bottle was polished off. Along with a bottle of Jack. And some Tequila oddly enough. He walked me home at 3am, party was meant to end at 8pm.
Spent Saturday and Sunday in bed mostly. No vomit. Just inability for my body to function beyond slight breathing capabilities. I imagine waking up from The Matrix for the first time has a similar sensation.
Called up to apologise (i.e. make sure I still had a job) on Sunday night and it turns out he had a great time and was glad someone stayed around to drink all the grog with them. I was chatty but a gentleman apparently. Which is not usually how my drinking blackouts go so I chalk it up to maturing as a human being.

Note 2: The Church/Community Centre is right in the middle of what people refer to as the "golden mile". I expect it would be considered the Projects elsewhere. Most public housing in the south west is well spreadout to avoid creating community based cultural problems but in this "area" of town it is basically all public housing. You get some.... interesting people come through. Thankfully the murderers/rapists/violent offenders get separated around the place. Mainly just long term public housing people end up in the area, means they are less likely to attack each other as they already have settled down into their routines.

I shall now attempt to push everyone away from Chrome.

Springsteen is overrated American tripe.
The fuck?
XWdvm.gif

Fucking everyone going by the rate rise letter I just got for January. Like, 10+% across the board.

I THOUGHT IT WAS CHEAPER FOR THEM TO GET NOW FFS?
WHERE MY TRANSPARENCY AT FFS?

I do wonder what local publishers will think of that.
Publishers or distributors? I'm sure distributors are shitting their pants about more companies cutting them out as the middle man as Australian's are turned onto the low low prices. Publishers would be like, "
P9txY.gif
".

So, I ended up grabbing a PS Vita today. I picked up the AC: Liberation+4 GB memory card bundle. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a reasonably cheap 16/32 GB memory card? 4 GB of memory isn't enough at all.
$95 for a 32GB card at OzGameShop

03. Gary Numan - Cars
05. Blondie - Atomic
10. ABC - Poison Arrow

Solid gold
GTA3/VC/SA all had GODTIER soundtracks. Totally made just driving around, fucking about, worthwhile.

Best comment Ive seen so far on the Wii Mini:
lol component

When you can buy a fully fledged Wii (can't fucking believe I would ever say that about the Wii!) here for $50 and they charge $100 in maple leaf dollars for the WiiNshitInYourFace it becomes evident how much Nintendo just don't fucking care. I would expect that to be pushed in Mexico or Pakistan. For $30.

Jintor

03. Gary Numan - Cars
05. Blondie - Atomic
10. ABC - Poison Arrow

Solid gold

hooray

Shaneus

I bet he is/they're from Russia. Da.

Ive seen Adam Hills live in a small little theatre in Hobart. Something like 50 people in a loft down in Salamanca. He is genuinely even nicer than he is on tv. If such a thing is possible.
I don't find that hard at all to believe. It saddens me that people compare him to Wil 'Unfunny' Anderson. Genuinely nice and clever and actually funny (without being at the expense of others).

Thanks to this post I just discovered Velocity.

SHANEUS BUY A VITA OMG \o/
NO!
(what's a Velocity?)

PS. Even though my cold is on it's way out, my ear is still doing that thing where it feels like it's blocked and all it needs is a good popping, but I'm too scared to in case it gets stuck in that state where it's kind of high-pitched and feels like it's going to burst any second and hurt like hell.
ARGH.

PPS. We're doing a "bands we like"-type thing? Let me blow all o' your minds with how surprisingly boring I am:
New Order
Infusion
Underworld
Beastie Boys
Daft Punk
Little Boots
Huey Lewis & The News
Washed Out
Superpitcher
TISM
Phoenix

jambo

Queen are an amazing band, Mercury's voice is just something else. Love Gorillaz as well and REM have some great sutff. Plus most gamers know and love Jonathan Coulton.

Don't really know much else on that list but I have heard of Goo Goo Dolls, Presidents of the USA and They Might Be Giants.

Besides fapp, no one else here listens to prog rock it would seem =[

Jintor

Those are, like, the artists I could listen to pretty much anything from and enjoy it... other artists I only like certain albums or more commonly individual songs.

I suspect I like Metric but I haven't heard enough to really judge. The Decemberists are also rad but I have to be in a really specific mood

Yagharek

I don't find that hard at all to believe. It saddens me that people compare him to Wil 'Unfunny' Anderson. Genuinely nice and clever and actually funny (without being at the expense of others).

I dont have any opinion on Wil Anderson. Sometimes he's funny, other times not.
Other excellent comedians I've seen live and loved include Hale and Pace, Dylan Moran, Paul McDermott and Umbilical Brothers. All top tier.

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET. QI LIVE IS GODTIER

NO!
(what's a Velocity?)

I don't know, but Edge called it a cross between Xenon/Amiga shmups and Metroid backtracking with teleports.

See!

Omikron

Queen are an amazing band, Mercury's voice is just something else. Love Gorillaz as well and REM have some great sutff. Plus most gamers know and love Jonathan Coulton.

Don't really know much else on that list but I have heard of Goo Goo Dolls, Presidents of the USA and They Might Be Giants.

Besides fapp, no one else here listens to prog rock it would seem =[

Uh huh.

You have terrible taste Shaneus, I cannot tell you that enough.

The guy behind the Journey soundtrack is doing the Leisure Suit Larry remake music! What! Finally some great news on that project.

Music? I can listen to any of their songs and be in pure bliss

Nine Inch Nails (Trent in general really, even the BLOPS2 menu music was fantastic)
Blur
The Smashing Pumpkins
Black Star (best hip hop album ever)
Enter Shikari
Deftones
Karnivool
Cave In
Tool/A Perfect Circle
Rage Against The Machine
Girugamesh
Burial
Cloud Nothings
Fugazi
Wes Borland
In Flames
Soilwork
Aphex Twin
Converge
Constants
Nas
Helmet
Pink Floyd
Isis
Led Zeppelin
BoySetsFire
Beastie Boys
Radiohead
Gorillaz
Iron Maiden
Johnny Cash
LCD Soundsystem
Porcupine Tree
QOTSA
Refused
Sepultura (old)
Sunny Day Real Estate
The American Dollar
Dillinger Escape Plan
Thrice
The Field

Get the remastered Lawrence of Arabia, folks.

Do it. Thing of beauty.
I've been holding out for it. I recall there being a divine looking digibook edition in the US? Once it hits a decent price on Amazon if it is region free I'll grab it. Maybe Zavvi if the UK get the digibook.

Yagharek

Did Vita games get a price drop? P4G is $47 and Sly 4 is $38 on EBgames website. Even though theyre not out til Feb. Which is after their christmas sales.

Kritz

Banned
Linkin Park
Blink 182
Greenday
My Chemical Romance
50 Cent
Fallout Boy
Pink
James Blunt
The Killers
Avril Lavigne
Eminem
Justin Timerlake

My favourites

GOB
Sugarcult
Zebrahead
MXPX
Millencolin
Sum 41
Tool

Plus a lot of bands that I like one song of aka Harvey Danger Flagpole Sitta and Ben Folds Rockin the Suburbs. I f#cken love that song

Also developed a thing for anti war songs like the stones paint it black and Barry McGuire's Eve of destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom