• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Hotdogs man, everyone knows they use only the finest portions of the animal to make hotdogs. :)
EIq5IJr.gif

I dont think you should refuse a search... I think that just gives them reasonable suspicion!
I ain't stepping out of shit all my papers legit, well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back, and I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that.

Nah I ain't passed the bar but I know a little bit, enough that you won't illegally search my shit.

Jintor

If I'mma eat an animal's leg I may as well eat the rest of it

also I agree with markot, go check out a free legal aid centre if you have the time. Thousand bucks is thousand bucks

Dead Man

Hot dogs are pretty tasty if you get a good one.

One of the weird things about Vancouver or any NA continent city in general I'd assume was hot dog carts all over the goddamn place.

It'd be super convenient if that was true here. Mmm... hot dogs...

Hotdog carts are the best. Especially if they have grilled dogs.

Exactly, they're delicious, but I'll be buggered if I want to knw too much about what's in them.

If I'mma eat an animal's leg I may as well eat the rest of it

also I agree with markot, go check out a free legal aid centre if you have the time. Thousand bucks is thousand bucks

also I agree with markot, go check out a free legal aid centre if you have the time.

also I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I agree with markot

I haven't had a hot dog in ages. Maybe I need to find one for lunch.
We have them once a week or so, super easy to cook, super cheap, super tasty. Good for the little guy too! Plus everyone can have random condiments on top of the cheese/onion combo.

There is a great spot in Geelong just next to Hogsbreath Cafe that has great, really cheap hotdogs & shakes.

Exactly, they're delicious, but I'll be buggered if I want to knw too much about what's in them.
I've enjoyed taking the little guy through the process at a young age. I think it helps him respect animals a lot more as he can understand how important they are to us.

Helps that the in-laws have a piggery, chooks & cows though. He gets to see (well, not the pig killing of course) the whole bacon & eggs process from start to finish!

Law is law

Dead Man

I've enjoyed taking the little guy through the process at a young age. I think it helps him respect animals a lot more as he can understand how important they are to us.

Helps that the in-laws have a piggery, chooks & cows though. He gets to see (well, not the pig killing of course) the whole bacon & eggs process from start to finish!

Good stuff. I think growing up rurally helped me make decisions about animals that are not too tainted by emotion while also seeing the value in them as living creatures. I hope that doesn't sound too wanky.

Danoss

today i listen to allllll the penny arcade dnd things
and get sad about not playing dnd

If they weren't mildly entertaining, these would be pretty bad. Series One is just Keep on the Shadowfell, a basic adventure which is just combat, combat, combat and then some more combat.

I played D&D on Saturday for the first time in a month. There was a little RP and the rest was all combat. We started off with some combat, then a water clock started acting strangely which I got to react to in-character and a Water Nymph appeared from it which we spoke to. We then went off and did some combat and then did some more combat after that.

The GM was starting to get shitty with me because my math skills didn't allow me to add large numbers in record time. When D&D becomes maths class, it stops being fun. The hardest decision is "do I fire my arrow/do I not fire my arrow" which is not even a decision because it's D&D where you always fire your arrow (or other combat thingy if you're not a Ranger). This is how every turn goes:
  • "I attack."
  • Roll d20 and it shows 13. 13 + 30 + 1 because it's my quarry is 44, so I hit AC 41.
  • So that's 3d12+19 damage, plus quarry damage of 3d8. *Rolls dice* and I get 7+3+10 on the d12 dice and 6+3+1 on the d8's +19 for bonus damage is a total of 49 damage.
  • Repeat this 2 or 3 times (minus quarry damage) because I always fire multiple arrows with the attacks I have.
  • GM gets shitty and impatient because it takes me longer than 3 seconds to add the total of up to 22 dice plus 3 lots of bonus damage together which is the maximum I can do.
If a turn goes badly, it's this:
  • "I attack."
  • Roll d20 and it shows a 3.
  • "I miss."
  • Sit down and wait for 5 other people to have their turn.
Since there is shit-all RP, that's pretty much the game. What a joke.

I'm getting pretty tired of it to be honest. The only reason I'm sticking around is because bailing on the group would make me a bad person considering the remaining group makeup. Only 7 levels to go and then we're done with this campaign. Cannot come soon enough.

Dead Man

If they weren't mildly entertaining, these would be pretty bad. Series One is just Keep on the Shadowfell, a basic adventure which is just combat, combat, combat and then some more combat.

I played D&D on Saturday for the first time in a month. There was a little RP and the rest was all combat. We started off with some combat, then a water clock started acting strangely which I got to react to in-character and a Water Nymph appeared from it which we spoke to. We then went off and did some combat and then did some more combat after that.

The GM was starting to get shitty with me because my math skills didn't allow me to add large numbers in record time. When D&D becomes maths class, it stops being fun. The hardest decision is "do I fire my arrow/do I not fire my arrow" which is not even a decision because it's D&D where you always fire your arrow (or other combat thingy if you're not a Ranger). This is how every turn goes:
  • "I attack."
  • Roll d20 and it shows 13. 13 + 30 + 1 because it's my quarry is 44, so I hit AC 41.
  • So that's 3d12+19 damage, plus quarry damage of 3d8. *Rolls dice* and I get 7+3+10 on the d12 dice and 6+3+1 on the d8's +19 for bonus damage is a total of 49 damage.
  • Repeat this 2 or 3 times (minus quarry damage) because I always fire multiple arrows with the attacks I have.
  • GM gets shitty and impatient because it takes me longer than 3 seconds to add the total of up to 22 dice plus 3 lots of bonus damage together which is the maximum I can do.
  • "I attack."
  • "I miss."

I'm getting pretty tired of it to be honest. The only reason I'm sticking around is because bailing on the group would make me a bad person considering the remaining group makeup. Only 7 levels to go and then we're done with this campaign. Cannot come soon enough.
D&D combat has always been shite. A good GM will make it fun anyway.

Danoss

D&D combat has always been shite. A good GM will make it fun anyway.

D&D 4e combat is fine, if you're into that sort of thing. The problem is that the D&D ruleset is combat. That's it! The rules for anything outside of that may as well not exist as there are only skill challenges, i.e. roll a d20, add your bonus and if you match or exceed the DC then you pass, repeat until you succeed or fail enough to determine the outcome.

D&D 4e is all about tactical combat and that's perfectly fine if that's what you want from a game. It's not what I want and so it sucks for me. The GM can spice things up, but to do so they have to put aside the rules for D&D and do something different. Once that happens, we're not playing D&D anymore, so why play it?

• "I attack."
  • "I attack."
  • "I miss."

Sounds like you just play with a bunch of assholes who dont have fun and cheer you on when you hit for a billion points
D&D 4e combat is fine, if you're into that sort of thing. The problem is that the D&D ruleset is combat. That's it! The rules for anything outside of that may as well not exist as there are only skill challenges, i.e. roll a d20, add your bonus and if you match or exceed the DC then you pass, repeat until you succeed or fail enough to determine the outcome.

D&D 4e is all about tactical combat and that's perfectly fine if that's what you want from a game. It's not what I want and so it sucks for me. The GM can spice things up, but to do so they have to put aside the rules for D&D and do something different. Once that happens, we're not playing D&D anymore, so why play it?
see i had fun with that, figuring out how to approach a situation

Dead Man

I haven't read the rules for 4e, so I'll take your word for it. But it stillsounds like the beef I had with AD&D. Too many dice, too many tables to look up for interactions that could be roleplayed. As for why play if you aren't following the rules? Why follow the rules if you aren't having any fun? I always liked the worlds that good RPG's created more than the particular system. If something about the system sucked, I changed it if I was GM'ing.

Danoss

Sounds like you just play with a bunch of assholes who dont have fun and cheer you on when you hit for a billion points

They're old grognards who also play wargames, so yeah it's a thing. They're not arseholes, but they game differently to what I'm looking for. One of them is an awesome roleplayer though and just outshines everyone. He plays like how I want, but D&D just stifles that style of play because that's not what it's about.

I haven't read the rules for 4e, so I'll take your word for it. But it stillsounds like the beef I had with AD&D. Too many dice, too many tables to look up for interactions that could be roleplayed. As for why play if you aren't following the rules? Why follow the rules if you aren't having any fun? I always liked the worlds that good RPG's created more than the particular system. If something about the system sucked, I changed it if I was GM'ing.

I look at it much differently. Why use a system if you don't like the rules? Why waste time fixing something that you don't like in the first place? If I were to change D&D to be the game I wanted to play, it would be so drastically different that it wouldn't even resemble the same game in any way. That's a lot of work and would almost be like creating an entirely new game.

I think it's much more worthwhile finding a game that does what you want it to do. D&D isn't the only option, there are thousands of games available to choose from. If you like a particular setting, that's cool, a setting is easily transplanted from one game to another. If you want to play in that setting, wrap it around the system that does what you want it to do and then play in that setting all you like.

Dead Man

They're old grognards who also play wargames, so yeah it's a thing. They're not arseholes, but they game differently to what I'm looking for. One of them is an awesome roleplayer though and just outshines everyone. He plays like how I want, but D&D just stifles that style of play because that's not what it's about.

I look at it much differently. Why use a system if you don't like the rules? Why waste time fixing something that you don't like in the first place? If I were to change D&D to be the game I wanted to play, it would be so drastically different that it wouldn't even resemble the same game in any way. That's a lot of work and would almost be like creating an entirely new game.

I think it's much more worthwhile finding a game that does what you want it to do. D&D isn't the only option, there are thousands of games available to choose from. If you like a particular setting, that's cool, a setting is easily transplanted from one game to another. If you want to play in that setting, wrap it around the system that does what you want it to do and then play in that setting all you like.

I think we probably do the same, just backwards. I used to transplant systems quite often. Especially for things like Rifts that has an amazing world, but the core rules are pants on head. I just didn't worry about keeping the rules exactly the same as the publisher/author had written.

Jintor

Apparently Bioshock Infinite has broken street date in AU. I don't really know if it has DRM or Steam Unlocks or whatever, but you console fellas can probably go grab it I guess

Kirby102

So there is this car that is parked in front of my house on the side, it's not one of our cars and it's been there for more than a week and hasn't moved since.

Now the only issue is that it's my next door neighbour's car and they're parked on the side in front of my house. We haven't spoken to them because we think they're seedy, with foiled windows and whatnot, but I do not want to seem rude and ask them to move their car.

Now I know that the kerb is for everyone to use, but is there some consensus on parking in front of your own house, or better yet, how long they can be in front of it? I'm okay with a few hours or 1 day, but more than a week? That seems a bit silly.

/rant

Dead Man

So there is this car that is parked in front of my house on the side, it's not one of our cars and it's been there for more than a week and hasn't moved since.

Now the only issue is that it's my next door neighbour's car and they're parked on the side in front of my house. We haven't spoken to them because we think they're seedy, with foiled windows and whatnot, but I do not want to seem rude and ask them to move their car.

Now I know that the kerb is for everyone to use, but is there some consensus on parking in front of your own house, or better yet, how long they can be in front of it? I'm okay with a few hours or 1 day, but more than a week? That seems a bit silly.

/rant

Report it as abandoned if it hasn't moved in a week.

I had a car parked out the front of my place for close to two weeks, didn't move one. Thought it was abandoned and then one day it was gone. Bit strange.

Danoss

I think we probably do the same, just backwards. I used to transplant systems quite often. Especially for things like Rifts that has an amazing world, but the core rules are pants on head. I just didn't worry about keeping the rules exactly the same as the publisher/author had written.

I'm fine with mild tweaks and modifications to games. Little things are easy to do if they make more sense or cater to increased enjoyment by the players.

Changing things wholesale is a different beast altogether. In my case I want the game to cater to, encourage and reward roleplaying. A binary pass/fail mechanic doesn't do that at all and often doesn't make sense in the context of the game. Creating an entire system to do that is much more trouble than it's worth, and would have to somehow permeate the combat system which is so deep and dense that it could be years before anything would be playable.

Or I could just go and play Dungeon World (if I want to play with the same theme) which already does all the things that I want.

Fusebox

Banned
I just heard that my neighbour moved out yesterday after spending 5 days in intensive care because of mold spores in her en suite and now I'm freaked out because I don't even know what to look for.

Can any AU account Vita owners confirm that EU online passes work?
Particularly with 1st party (planning to import Soul Sacrifice).

I was under the impression they didn't, but a few places online seem to think they do (that it's only JP and US passes that don't work).

Yes they work.

welp. just got randomly pulled over by cops. breathalysed, pat down and had my car searched because of "drugs" despite the fact I don't use, will not use and never have used before.

this would all jsut be annoying and fine, except they pulled out a camping knife from under my passanger seat that my dickhead friend left there after a camping trip. bang, 1000$ fine. see ya later.

i'm too tired and too poor to deal with this shit.

Surely you can appeal the fine...which state are you in? (if victoria you have my sympathies)

Fredescu

Many years ago I had an old crappy car that I crashed and couldn't be arsed fixing because I could walk to work anyway. I left it parked for months outside my neighbours house. One day the cops came around and asked me very nicely if I could move it "just to keep the peace", obviously suggesting that I didn't have to, but it would be nice if I did. So I did. Take from that story what you will.

/rant

can i get a diagram
its alright, i lived in an apartment with mushrooms growing in the bathroom for a year!

i'm not dead yet.

fuck you im about to throw up
I just heard that my neighbour moved out yesterday after spending 5 days in intensive care because of mold spores in her en suite and now I'm freaked out because I don't even know what to look for.

my entire bottom floor is covered in mold after we got flooded 2 years ago. i like that we got cabinets replaced with out properly cleaning/burning the mold off the walls behind it.
cant wait till i get my own place

/rant

Go ahead and report the license plates. There was a white van parked in front of my old house for 2 weeks, so I had reported it as suspicious. 2 days later, the van was gone.

fuck you im about to throw up

You're a terrible chef in that case. Surely you can cook that thing? Might save holy a bit of money on his food expenses :p

New phone time!

My plan is about to run out, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I'll probably just get a two year plan with Telstra or Optus, but I'm trying to decide which phone is best for 50-60 odd a month? Suggestions? Anything other than Apple...

Galaxy S4!

S3 4G is still a fantastic phone as well.

The Nokia 820 and 920 are pretty great as well, if you like WP8.

I don't know if I can wait for the S4, and no doubt the Telstra/Optus stooges will charge 2 arms and 3 legs for them...

My current phone is a Windows phone, and I liked the interface but the support was dreck so I'm pretty keen for android this time.

What do you make of the Sony Xperia Z?

I don't know if I can wait for the S4, and no doubt the Telstra/Optus stooges will charge 2 arms and 3 legs for them...

My current phone is a Windows phone, and I liked the interface but the support was dreck so I'm pretty keen for android this time.

What do you make of the Sony Xperia Z?

its out?
i am inquiring about one in the next day or two
well actually getting my father too as he works next to a phone shop

New phone time!

My plan is about to run out, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I'll probably just get a two year plan with Telstra or Optus, but I'm trying to decide which phone is best for 50-60 odd a month? Suggestions? Anything other than Apple...

Very unlikely that you will be able to get the S4 on a 50/60 plan.

The Sony Xperia Z is a better choice, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom