• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bioshock will have removed that expectation from me, Infinite I know won't be SysShock3 and I should enjoy it more than Bioshock. I am finding myself thinking more of the first game lately, just due to how dense it was as an experience compared to any other FPS I have had lately.

At least the story will be good.

Gazunta

I think I bought Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe from Zavvi or something two years ago. I got it, opened it in my car and oh yeah that's right it's been sitting in my car for the past two years.

I really need to clean my car again
and by again I mean once.

I think I bought Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe from Zavvi or something two years ago. I got it, opened it in my car and oh yeah that's right it's been sitting in my car for the past two years.

I really need to clean my car again
and by again I mean once.

RCT2 is the best.

Just go buy SC4.

Rezbit

Once upon a time I used to deep fry felafels with my housemates every week because they were mad awesome. Then one day I drank way too much of that shitty Toohey's Platinum, when it was first on the scene, far too quickly. I got extremely drunk, tried to cook felafels, splashed hot oil at my housemate who was trying to help me, and ate said poorly cooked felafels. Then in what was a horrific blur I almost shit myself, rushed to the toilet, shit, then barfed into the pants around my ankles. I put the pants back on as to not expose myself to my housemates, then had a shower.

I have not eaten felafel since, and this was many years ago.

Hahaha, what a story Mark.

reggie

Banned
I still never finished Bioshock. I just got fucking sick of that last bit.

The whole game stunk. Repetitive trash wrapped in an interesting concept. You couldn't pay me to play it again, it's one of those games that make you wonder what the hell you are doing with your life that you would waste hours on such a mundane game.

Can't wait until the hype dies on infinite so I can stop hearing about it.

Once upon a time I used to deep fry felafels with my housemates every week because they were mad awesome. Then one day I drank way too much of that shitty Toohey's Platinum, when it was first on the scene, far too quickly. I got extremely drunk, tried to cook felafels, splashed hot oil at my housemate who was trying to help me, and ate said poorly cooked felafels. Then in what was a horrific blur I almost shit myself, rushed to the toilet, shit, then barfed into the pants around my ankles. I put the pants back on as to not expose myself to my housemates, then had a shower.

I did the same thing last year (well besides felafels). Managed to not get much on my clothes but all over the bathroom instead. Then I had a snooze on the dunny until someone woke me up and I then preceded to fall asleep in the doorway to my bedroom with my pants half down.

Dead Man

And I think the laser is fucked on my PS3 :( Will not finish installing a game from disc, keeps stopping at different points, noisy as shit.

Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe - $1.59

Pakora are godly. I think there is a lot of variety depending on the region. Never had a bad one though.

Edit: Apparently they are a battered and deep fried with a variety of bases. Cheese, broccoli, onion etc.

Pakoras can be made from anything, but most popular ones are onions, cottage cheese, potatoes, fish and bread.

Take 2 slices of sandwich bread, put some filling in between like ketchup, bbq sauce etc and then deep fry in batter. Bread-pakoras are amazing.

Danoss

Here's some excellent news for the photographers among us.

Nik Software, which was recently bought out by Google, has now released every single one of their plugins for Lightroom/Photoshop (also Aperture, but if you use that, you have my sympathies) for the great price of $149. If you've never used their plugins, give them a try because they are incredible. Silver Efex Pro in particular does the best black and white conversions you will ever see.

The cool thing is that if you've previously bought any of their products, you're automatically eligible to download the rest for free.

Try or buy their awesome stuff right here.

Man just wrote up to 1200-words for a assessment that's only peer-assessed. Best part is I have to use the content from those 1200-words for a 1000-word essay in two weeks! Feeling ahead of the game here. Funniest thing was it only took me like a hour and a half to write up those 1200-words.;p

should post it here

magenta

Nik Software, which was recently bought out by Google, has now released every single one of their plugins for Lightroom/Photoshop (also Aperture, but if you use that, you have my sympathies) for the great price of $149. If you've never used their plugins, give them a try because they are incredible. Silver Efex Pro in particular does the best black and white conversions you will ever see.

The cool thing is that if you've previously bought any of their products, you're automatically eligible to download the rest for free.

But they killed off Snapseed :(

Not to be a downer here but enjoy this while it lasts. I don't see these plugins aligning with Google's business goals, I think they will be killed off during the next cost cutting drive within the company. The only reason Google bought Nik's was to re-appropriate the mobile version of Snapseed to have some kind of competitor to Instagram to post shit on a social network that no one uses (G+).

Rahk

Why is gravity sliding even in game? falling is so much faster and easier to control, lol. I'd use it more in ground battles if it wasn't so stupidly hard to control.
Sliding is pretty fast when you level it up and I think it's quicker in certain instances, like if you are standing on the ground and only when to go a short distance away or need to make accurate turns quickly, or if an enemy is in front of you and you are sick of gravity kicking every single time.

I pretty much only used it when required in the side missions until I got used to controlling it a few hours into the game.

In SA they're called Yiros.
Gyros = Yiros. I think it's supposed to be the same word with a similar pronunciation, different interpretation of spelling. I think the "Y" sound is more traditionally Greek.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Greek

I fucking loooooove felafel.
Going to the middle east in a couple of months. Gon' eat so much falafel and hummus.

This is going by the Turkish names for them, all the best kebabs I've had were Turkish.
Greek and Turkish (and Macedonian and Serbian and Bosnian) food is virtually all the same anyway.

Samosas are also mighty tasty.
Also bhaji.

AssCreed 4's gameplay trailer is giving me a lot of Sid Meier's Pirates vibes, and that's definitely a good thing.
I was imagining a third person Pirates! from the first wave of previews, so anything they can do to emulate that game is only a step in the right direction.

Maybe I'll play 3 sometime this year...

Danoss

But they killed off Snapseed :(

Not to be a downer here but enjoy this while it lasts. I don't see these plugins aligning with Google's business goals, I think they will be killed off during the next cost cutting drive within the company. The only reason Google bought Nik's was to re-appropriate the mobile version of Snapseed to have some kind of competitor to Instagram to post shit on a social network that no one uses (G+).

You mean the Snapseed that's on Android as well as iOS, still going strong and received an update today? I don't use my phone for photos, but after messing around with both and with Snapseed being so superior to Instagram that it's not even worthwhile comparing the two.

G+ is a lot more popular than people think, just not in the same way. Just because neither individuals or their friends use it doesn't mean that it's not being used by many people. G+ has thriving rpg and photography communities that if you weren't looking for, you wouldn't know were there. Who wants to talk seriously and productively about roleplaying experiences, ways to improve those games, or discussing aspects of photography and have their Mum come along with some comment about how proud she is and scare everyone away?

Google attempts to foster the photography community in particular and they're consulted for ways to improve how they use G+ and Google sponsors many events (one took place on Saturday in Sydney drawing over 400 people). The competing facebook is terrible for discussions and sharing of the media and ideas that these two communities require. You know the new photo interface on facebook? Lifted directly from G+ and it's still inferior.

I honestly doubt the Nik products will go anywhere. Snapseed is basically a mobile version of Viveza while the photography software is used by large portions of the photography industry. Many of the photos that you see have been touched by one of Nik's plugins (especially considering the Capture NX software made for Nikon).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So it's going to take me years to un fuck the damage i've done to myself mentally over the past 10 years, Going by the lady in therapy. That sounds like it's going to be fun.

It's certainly an interesting experience. You don't really know what topics you should discuss and how to actually talk about them. Then 1 hour does go by pretty fucking quickly too.

/Therapy information for no reason at all.

Bioshock seems to be getting super high reviews, that's not really a surprise. I think I will just wait for the GOTY since there's already a season pass attached to the damn thing.

Omikron

I just hope it's not like BioShock, where I enjoy my first time through, but it slowly sours the more I think back on it. I mean, I'm one of those guys who moans that BioShock was a shitty successor to System Shock, but it still had a lot of good stuff going on. The world was excellent, the themes were great, and it had some smart mechanics. But the balance and character development was shot to shit (in favour of the player), combat grew tiresome, and the last third of the game takes a massive nosedive in quality.

I think, at worst, BioShock Infinite will at least provide a similarly stimulating experience to BioShock. I just hope the aftertaste is a lot better.
Yes!!

Hi Aon.

Danoss

Found a 15% off coupon code for the aforementioned Nik Software collection, making it $126. Where? G+ of course.

Here ya go: JEwHGbsNMB

So it's going to take me years to un fuck the damage i've done to myself mentally over the past 10 years, Going by the lady in therapy. That sounds like it's going to be fun.

It's certainly an interesting experience. You don't really know what topics you should discuss and how to actually talk about them. Then 1 hour does go by pretty fucking quickly too.

/Therapy information for no reason at all.

Bioshock seems to be getting super high reviews, that's not really a surprise. I think I will just wait for the GOTY since there's already a season pass attached to the damn thing.
Good plan as all the DLC will be Minerva's Den type stuff, no MP!

magenta

You mean the Snapseed that's on Android as well as iOS, still going strong and received an update today? I don't use my phone for photos, but after messing around with both and with Snapseed being so superior to Instagram that it's not even worthwhile comparing the two.

G+ is a lot more popular than people think, just not in the same way. Just because neither individuals or their friends use it doesn't mean that it's not being used by many people. G+ has thriving rpg and photography communities that if you weren't looking for, you wouldn't know were there. Who wants to talk seriously and productively about roleplaying experiences, ways to improve those games, or discussing aspects of photography and have their Mum come along with some comment about how proud she is and scare everyone away?

Google attempts to foster the photography community in particular and they're consulted for ways to improve how they use G+ and Google sponsors many events (one took place on Saturday in Sydney drawing over 400 people). The competing facebook is terrible for discussions and sharing of the media and ideas that these two communities require. You know the new photo interface on facebook? Lifted directly from G+ and it's still inferior.

I honestly doubt the Nik products will go anywhere. Snapseed is basically a mobile version of Viveza while the photography software is used by large portions of the photography industry. Many of the photos that you see have been touched by one of Nik's plugins (especially considering the Capture NX software made for Nikon).

Sorry that I was not more specific, I was referring to the desktop version of Snapseed that is now not for sale and will not be updated any more. I agree that mobile version of Snapseed is superior to Instagram.

IDK, to me as soon as Google thinks that the ROI on the software plugins are not worth the effort to continue then I can see them dropping it in future, not straight away but in time. They are not the same company as they once were. Their primary business is to gather information about you and sell that to advertisers, not selling software products. It is this difference is where I base my opinion.

Shaneus

Pakora are godly. I think there is a lot of variety depending on the region. Never had a bad one though.

Edit: Apparently they are a battered and deep fried with a variety of bases. Cheese, broccoli, onion etc.
Yeah, I think the batter varies greatly. Looking up for a picture that most closely resembled what I think I ate in the Indian precinct of Manhattan (seriously, there's one street that has about 10 or 15 (at least) restaurants RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER), some of the others that appear look like they use a far denser batter that makes them almost look like something from a fish and chip shop.

Obviously the ones with a "thinner" batter look more appealing.

That they are, love a good Pakora. I have had some bad ones, but that's only from overcooking I think, they were very dry and no amount of sauce could save them.

Samosas are also mighty tasty.
Samosas are great, but I dunno... they kind of fit a little too easily into the "common finger food" category. They can be awesome, but pakora just feels that bit more exotic and raw (as in, no pastry on the outside etc.). Sounds weird, but damnit, that's how I feel.

I'm picturing this is not unlike how you react when you walk past a place that has felafel on display:
Reaction_ItalianSpiderman.gif

"I would rate this game infinite out of 100, but I cannot so I shall give it 100 LOL"

No shit, I only just saw that a few weeks ago at a mate's place. It was on repeat the whole time and for the 6 or so hours I was there, each replay I noticed another layer to it.

PS. Look at the avatar after this post. Holy fucking shit.

Pakoras can be made from anything, but most popular ones are onions, cottage cheese, potatoes, fish and bread.

Take 2 slices of sandwich bread, put some filling in between like ketchup, bbq sauce etc and then deep fry in batter. Bread-pakoras are amazing.
I knew there was a reason they made you a citizen.

I'll pass this onto my brother. He fucking loves that shit!

<3

Danoss

Sorry that I was not more specific, I was referring to the desktop version of Snapseed that is now not for sale and will not be updated any more. I agree that mobile version of Snapseed is superior to Instagram.

IDK, to me as soon as Google thinks that the ROI on the software plugins are not worth the effort to continue then I can see them dropping it in future, not straight away but in time. They are not the same company as they once were. Their primary business is to gather information about you and sell that to advertisers, not selling software products. It is this difference is where I base my opinion.

Ah, I didn't even know there was a desktop version of Snapseed. So, that's a thing. I don't think it's a great loss considering the power of the Nik Software plugins, especially at the new price they're offering it at.

I know Google aren't the same company we once knew, but I think killing off Nik Software would be a very stupid move. They've got a corner of the market with a brilliant product and Snapseed development can only take up so much time. It would be a great waste of a acquisition and steady income as this software package gets upgraded.

I'll pass this onto my brother. He fucking loves that shit!

Fuck yeah he will! I'd never used HDR Efex Pro as I was comfortable with Photomatix, but now I have a copy of it I won't be going back. This shit is much more what I'm looking for to produce stunning pictures that don't have that shitty HDR look.

While that may all sound like gibberish to you, don't forget to pass on the coupon code JEwHGbsNMB for 15% off. He'll love that shit just as much!

Just bought Infinite off Ozgameshop, do the codes usually take a few hours to come through via email after purchase?

Depends on timezone, they send them out during UK business hours, should say on the item storepage. They are usually pretty good but they aren't a one man deal operating out of gmail.

On that note last night some PC retailer in the UK was selling codes for $30, must have been AMD card ones.

Shaneus

Fuck yeah he will! I'd never used HDR Efex Pro as I was comfortable with Photomatix, but now I have a copy of it I won't be going back. This shit is much more what I'm looking for to produce stunning pictures that don't have that shitty HDR look.

While that may all sound like gibberish to you, don't forget to pass on the coupon code JEwHGbsNMB for 15% off. He'll love that shit just as much!
Already done on both counts :)

What do you disagree with? The food in this region in my experience is of similar style and flavour. I consider the region, at least culinarily, to have not a lot of distinction. Greece, especially the south, does have a bit more diversity.

It's like saying Japanese food is pretty much the same as Thai.

Putting aside what you'd get as takeway from either a greek or turkish/ middle-eastern restaurant in Australia...

Greek Food-
Pork. Lot's of it. Most yiro (it' refers to the meat on the spit, yiro meaning round) is pork. If you have it on a stick, its souvlaki, if you have it on flat bread, it's yiro with pita. You can also get it on a plate, etc. You can generally substitute the pork for a sausage or a beef patty. Lamb and chicken are more likely to be found in diners and restaurants.

Feta cheese on everything- on a plate by itself, fired, grilled, in a pie, in a slice,

Greek food is generally less spicy overall. There aren't really equivalents to cous-cous, tabouli, tahini, hommus, felafel.

Incredibly sweet desserts.
even the flat bread is different. Turkish bread is generally quite thin and has the pocket of air in the middle. the bread used for yiro is doughier and thicker. Proper yiro has a dusting of semolina on it.

Greek food does not have a lot of potato and egg. You do get a few common dishes but not enough for them to be interchangeable.

One thing they do have in common is fanatical desire to stick eggplant in everything.

etc,ect and so forth...

also Bioshock Infinite at 53% after five hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom