• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Replayability?

Not that I care, because 10 hours on normal is perfect... at least it means I'd get to see a whole fucking game from start to finish.

And DLC (in particular, pre-order bonuses or whatever the LE was sold with or whatever)... do I need to worry about getting that if it's an extra fiver or so?

Not really that replayable for any gameplay reasons, though after the story is over you might want to replay it again, I know I sure want to.

Shaneus

Fuckin' bought. Now I can quieten those demons inside my head:

EC: Other than the threads on G3D, not really (unless Radeonpro.info has stuff). If you have any questions about setting it up, I'd consider myself pretty well-versed in it if you have any questions about it :) Are you CFX or single card?

Wait, unless you actually know how to use it and are talking about, say, optimal settings for CFX profiles, AA, SFX, that sort of thing for specific games... in which case, I'm no help at all. Trial and error, baby!

Oops, forgot PSN doesn't let you add exact amounts under ten dollars. Now I have like $2.65 sitting in my account after buying Persona 1 :\ Oh well.

How is it that Nintendo are the only one of the three console manufacturers that have gotten this right? I mean, even the 30 cents for the Virtual Console Trial games ain't no thang as far as this is concerned.

Shaneus

IecL4xG.png

GIWG4JU.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
EC: Other than the threads on G3D, not really (unless Radeonpro.info has stuff). If you have any questions about setting it up, I'd consider myself pretty well-versed in it if you have any questions about it :) Are you CFX or single card?

Wait, unless you actually know how to use it and are talking about, say, optimal settings for CFX profiles, AA, SFX, that sort of thing for specific games... in which case, I'm no help at all. Trial and error, baby!

Single card, 6970.

I guess I just want to try and actually get it setup so it's a benefit to me and whatever games I end up playing in the future.

I do wish more people would get behind something like pcgamingwiki. Would be great to see each game have it's own radeonpro/sweetfx/nvidia inspector section at the bottom. To make sure you get the best out of it.

The terrible thing about Nintendo's endless parade of fail with the Wii U is that as far as I'm concerned, Zelda games and X are non-negotiables, so I will be forced to buy one. The trouble is that every bit of bad news vis a vis third party support devalues that future purchase just that little bit more.

It's bad enough that I have to have a separate device under the TV for Blu Ray playback. A separate device just for Nintendo games seems so very redundant.

Speaking of games for redundant devices, is Bioshock Infinite's gameplay any good? The original had great atmosphere and a decent story for the first half, but was very disappointing gameplay-wise. If it's anything like the first's repeating, reskinned enemies and Uncharted's waves of faceless cannon fodder, count me out.

Shaneus

Single card, 6970.

I guess I just want to try and actually get it setup so it's a benefit to me and whatever games I end up playing in the future.

I do wish more people would get behind something like pcgamingwiki. Would be great to see each game have it's own radeonpro/sweetfx/nvidia inspector section at the bottom. To make sure you get the best out of it.
It's getting a uniform one up and going that's the problem :/

RadeonPro isn't going to be as *much* benefit to you as someone with CFX (so there's less to fiddle with, which is a plus!) and a lot of the other options are fairly straightforward (for me, because I've tinkered so damn much) (other than SFX... you need to play with that yourself :) ):

*AA - Self explanatory. Can't always force AA on in games, but it never hurts to try!
*FXAA - I usually disable, as I prefer
*SMAA - Different levels offer more "accurate" AA, probably won't notice much difference higher than Medium
*AO - I leave it on where I can, but I think it only kicks in for games that have profiles for it
*AA Filter - Leave as Multi-sample, I never bother tinkering with the others
*Tessellation - I just leave it as either "Application controls" or force it off.
*Vsync - Normally just have it as "Off, unless app. specifies". Don't think it's really relevant.

Advanced tab:
Generally leave everything here as is... make sure everything's enabled, optimised, flip queue as 0 (I don't think that option even works anymore), LOD at 0.

Tweaks:
*Vsync - Always have this as Dynamic. Means that if it's below 60 it switches off, above 60 it switches on (but it doesn't cap it at 60, which is different to vsyncing or something). And type in your refresh rate.

*AA Profile - You might want to force an AA profile on a particular game if it doesn't support it (or has a better working one). If it's not in the list, click "Manage custom profiles", type in a name to identify the profile by (say, Bioshock), the executable for it (the name it spoofs the game to to fool it into applying AA profile) (say, BioshockInfinite.exe) then click Add -> AA compatibility. You can do the same with CFX profiles, but you hardly need that :)

Pretty much everything else is obvious or unnecessary. SFX I'm afraid is just a thing you'll have to tinker with until it's right... afaik there's no realtime adjustment tool available anywhere yet (though I believe Japamd was looking at implementing it at some stage).

Omikron

The terrible thing about Nintendo's endless parade of fail with the Wii U is that as far as I'm concerned, Zelda games and X are non-negotiables, so I will be forced to buy one. The trouble is that every bit of bad news vis a vis third party support devalues that future purchase just that little bit more.

It's bad enough that I have to have a separate device under the TV for Blu Ray playback. A separate device just for Nintendo games seems so very redundant.

Speaking of games for redundant devices, is Bioshock Infinite's gameplay any good? The original had great atmosphere and a decent story for the first half, but was very disappointing gameplay-wise. If it's anything like the first's repeating, reskinned enemies and Uncharted's waves of faceless cannon fodder, count me out.

For the most part, the shooting elements of Infinite are well above that of the original Bioshock, but it is just still shooting waves of enemies in the face. When in reality the game doesn't really need it, the story progression alone through exploration of the world would have been enough.

Kritz

Banned
So, done with Bioshock. It was okay. The shooting sections were fun, but christ the game could have done with less of them. By the final few areas I was bored of the entire game, due entirely to how samey and uninteresting the combat was compared to the story. It really frontloads all the cool things, such as the wonderful introduction and a lot of the story hooks that get set up.

ending story stuff:
And maybe this is my fault, but I didn't get the ending at all. I get it now that I read some forum posts explaining the ending... but I don't think it's a good thing that the first thought I had at the end of the game was, "That's it?".

For a while I was thinking that Bioshock Infinite might be GOTY material. But, it's kind of not. It has pacing issues, the combat's a slog, there's enough issues with Elizabeth to be noticeable, the level design isn't always clear especially in one of the later stages, a lot of story threads are kind of just ignored, and I felt that the conclusion wasn't satisfying at all.

But, the core shooting was good. The set pieces and art style were amazing. The perk system had potential to be interesting, but it kind of wasn't, because I found some really good items at the start that I never once switched out due to their usefulness. My pants let me chain the fire, lightning and push spells between enemies, which made those three spells incredibly overpowered, so why would I ever swap them out with "50% chance of spawning a ghost ally when you pick up a gun"?

The PC controls were remarkably good, and I very much appreciate that you can play the entire game without using iron sights and be just as accurate.

So, it's a good game. I recommend people play it. I don't think it's as good as the reviews would have you believe. Then again, who actually listens to reviews.

4/5 stars - poopybuttreviews

Danoss

No family gathering this weekend. My mum's has back seized up, which I can wholly sympathise with, and so she won't be able to visit. My brother has used this as an excuse to not turn up, but he'll still attend the party tonight and knock on our door in the middle of the night so he has a place to crash.

I have half a mind to just go somewhere else tonight so I won't be here when he arrives, maybe just wander the city alone. No chance my Gran will hear him knocking to let him in. He'll never visit on his own, only if mum is here too and even then he'll make sure he has somewhere else to be so he doesn't have to stay long. Of course he'll be sure to ask for something to loan/have or a favour before he leaves. I've just about had it with this using cunt.

I'm not sure how far I am into Infinite (I've just completed the primary task that you set out to do from the beginning) but I'm struggling slightly, mostly due to my own personal preferences.

First, I'm not with the FPS. I avoid them at all costs unless it's trying to do something different or doesn't rely heavily on the bangbangdownyougos. My thumbs (console gamer failz lol) don't like the fine control, I can never locate the bastard/s shooting me quick enough and I die more often than not if there is more than 0 enemies on the screen at any one time. Hey, it's not my thing and I recognise that.

However, there really hasn't been a narrative or mechanical reason give for why this game needed to be a FPS over any other genre. It could have been a FPS-S, really. So far there's been no real reason (for me, personally) as to why the hostility really needed to start and escalate so quickly to become a mow-down-the-waves shooter. Maybe this will all be explained further along in the story, as right now there seems to be a lot that is being held back.

So that kind of makes it two games in a row (the last being Tomb Raider Starring Lara "I guess my path as homicidal maniac started when I killed my first deer" Croft) where I've not seen any narrative reason for the amount of killing needed to proceed in the game. To a point, I think playing Dishonored last year reminded my that we used to have games where a certain percentage of the final bodycount was entirely up to the player. The only decisions in these games is in the manner will which you dispatch the enemies.

I want more from this game, so hopefully it will start delivering now that I've finished my first real mission.

I'm not sure how far I am into Infinite (I've just completed the primary task that you set out to do from the beginning) but I'm struggling slightly, mostly due to my own personal preferences.

First, I'm not with the FPS. I avoid them at all costs unless it's trying to do something different or doesn't rely heavily on the bangbangdownyougos. My thumbs (console gamer failz lol) don't like the fine control, I can never locate the bastard/s shooting me quick enough and I die more often than not if there is more than 0 enemies on the screen at any one time. Hey, it's not my thing and I recognise that.

However, there really hasn't been a narrative or mechanical reason give for why this game needed to be a FPS over any other genre. It could have been a FPS-S, really. So far there's been no real reason (for me, personally) as to why the hostility really needed to start and escalate so quickly to become a mow-down-the-waves shooter. Maybe this will all be explained further along in the story, as right now there seems to be a lot that is being held back.

So that kind of makes it two games in a row (the last being Tomb Raider Starring Lara "I guess my path as homicidal maniac started when I killed my first deer" Croft) where I've not seen any narrative reason for the amount of killing needed to proceed in the game. To a point, I think playing Dishonored last year reminded my that we used to have games where a certain percentage of the final bodycount was entirely up to the player. The only decisions in these games is in the manner will which you dispatch the enemies.

I want more from this game, so hopefully it will start delivering now that I've finished my first real mission.

Completely agree. There were sections
when you fight Slate in the museum
where the fighting and the enemies didn't even make any sense. I guess I'm not really a shooter person either, but man it was frustrating having to stop and shoot a bunch of dudes before the story would give me another little tidbit. I would have enjoyed it much more, I think, if they even just took out the guns and had vigors as your sole means of attacking. The picking up coins from the beginning also frustrated me, because I wanted to progress with the story but I felt compelled to pick everything up 'just in case'. There wasn't even a need for coins in the beginning! It was just distracting. The story is compelling enough that I think I'll keep playing though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
To be fair there's nothing wrong with games that involve killing lots of people with no rhyme and reason (MG Rising). I'd assume it's a problem where it starts to feels tacked-on just to fit a status quota. Which is what a lot of big "AAA' games for me feel like to me.

Danoss

Hey, it's board game day, carcassonne with mumble this afternoon?

Sure thing! I haven't actually played it, so you'll have to teach me. It looks simple enough so it shouldn't be too difficult. You'll also have to excuse my very tired brain as my sleep was interrupted by the phone call telling me no gathering today, resulting in only 4 hours.

I checked out the new Shut Up & Sit Down site and watched their group play Resistance: Avalon. Glad they chose that because that's one of many board games in my collection that is sitting there gathering dust (and dusting off my stacks of board games is as close as I get to playing them these days). They houseruled it and I don't really know why, but it's still pretty interesting to watch all the lying.

Omikron

Sure thing! I haven't actually played it, so you'll have to teach me. It looks simple enough so it shouldn't be too difficult. You'll also have to excuse my very tired brain as my sleep was interrupted by the phone call telling me no gathering today, resulting in only 4 hours.

Sounds good, its pretty damn basic. Place a tile, place a meeple if you want to, score any completed features. Next players turn.

Ydahs

Gotta admit, I'm completely drained at the moment with my Uni studies. I feel like I can get a decent job right now, but I started my Masters and I'm set to complete it at the end of 2014.

I just want a job, some solid income and an opportunity to move on to the next stage in my life. Anyone else felt the same way while studying? Five years is so bloody long :|

Jintor

Damnit, you cannot fully argue for same-sex marriage in only 1000 words. I even threw out having to cover most of these bloody opposition arguments by simply noting they were all based on logical fallacies and I'm still going to be over.

I just want a job, some solid income and an opportunity to move on to the next stage in my life. Anyone else felt the same way while studying? Five years is so bloody long :|

I hang with med students so I can't even complain about how long my degree is

Completely agree. There were sections
when you fight Slate in the museum
where the fighting and the enemies didn't even make any sense. I guess I'm not really a shooter person either, but man it was frustrating having to stop and shoot a bunch of dudes before the story would give me another little tidbit. I would have enjoyed it much more, I think, if they even just took out the guns and had vigors as your sole means of attacking. The picking up coins from the beginning also frustrated me, because I wanted to progress with the story but I felt compelled to pick everything up 'just in case'. There wasn't even a need for coins in the beginning! It was just distracting. The story is compelling enough that I think I'll keep playing though.
Ayup. So far, the combat in the game hasn't been there to serve the narrative but instead breaks it up. There may be a reason that will become clear later but so far I've felt more frustration towards the combat.

I've also consume every single piece of food (even from bins... yum!) and picked up every coin. I know I'll need the coins because I will die often and will need to purchase health at every step of the way :)

To be fair there's nothing wrong with games that involve killing lots of people with no rhyme and reason (MG Rising). I'd assume it's a problem where it starts to feels tacked-on just to fit a status quota. Which is what a lot of big "AAA' games for me feel like to me.
I agree that there are games where I don't mind killing indiscriminately and obsessively, it just has to fit the game world that the developer has created. Games like Mortal Kombat, Just Cause 2, COD (I assume), and God of War all have their excessive bloodletting but it's consistent for the world that's been created.

Lara goes from crying over a deer and throwing up after her first (self-defence) kill to shoving arrows into the knee of guys and then placing a shotgun under their chin and blowing their head off. Infinite goes from a very peaceful exploration (and hobo sim)
game to punching out people's brains in the space of 1 minute.

In both games, I didn't really feel that it was a natural progression of the story and character development up until that point.

Damnit, you cannot fully argue for same-sex marriage in only 1000 words. I even threw out having to cover most of these bloody opposition arguments by simply noting they were all based on logical fallacies and I'm still going to be over.
Strangely, though, you can argue against it in just one: "Religion"
or "bigotry," I guess. Your choice.

Does that make it the stronger arguement?

hamchan

Regarding combat in Bioshock Infinite, it's pretty much a running theme in the series that things go for calm to shit extremely quickly, and it's a pretty safe assumption that you would find out why everyone hates you, wants to kill you and why you're the False Prophet later on in the story, so I was cool with the sudden combat sections.

Also Booker doesn't start off weak like Lara did in Tomb Raider only to turn into a hardcore killing machine. He already starts the game as a hardcore killing machine :). You'll find out more about him later in the game.

Shaneus

Lara goes from crying over a deer and throwing up after her first (self-defence) kill to shoving arrows into the knee of guys and then placing a shotgun under their chin and blowing their head off. Infinite goes from a very peaceful exploration (and hobo sim) game to punching out people's brains in the space of 1 minute.
I say this without having played any of it, but it sounds like it could be the sort of thing that people mod themselves so there's less shooting in it and everything's a little more explorey (a la this mod for Far Cry 2). It definitely sounds possible.

On that note, should I just play it on easy and pretend the combat doesn't happen like Mirror's Edge?

hamchan

I say this without having played any of it, but it sounds like it could be the sort of thing that people mod themselves so there's less shooting in it and everything's a little more explorey (a la this mod for Far Cry 2). It definitely sounds possible.

On that note, should I just play it on easy and pretend the combat doesn't happen like Mirror's Edge?

Nah normal is already extremely easy. Also I found the combat really fun.

Omikron

Play on normal for sure.

Regarding combat in Bioshock Infinite, it's pretty much a running theme in the series that things go for calm to shit extremely quickly, and it's a pretty safe assumption that you would find out why everyone hates you, wants to kill you and why you're the False Prophet later on in the story, so I was cool with the sudden combat sections.

Also Booker doesn't start off weak like Lara did in Tomb Raider only to turn into a hardcore killing machine. He already starts the game as a hardcore killing machine :). You'll find out more about him later in the game.
Cool, thanks for the clarifications. The previous 2 games I felt were quite justified as I just assumed everyone had gone crazy over the years. Crazy people want everyone dead, so...

Depends on the game to which you are referring. If it's Bioshock, that's probably up to your skill level. My skill level is sub-shit, so it's something that I may consider later on depending on how much combat increases or affects my enjoyment.

If you were talking about Lara Croft: Murderbot then probably not. I found it pretty easy on normal. Enemies are stupid and you seem to be invulnerable whilst dodging. Plus you're a highly decorated murderbot. That helps.

With where I'm up to in Bioshock, a lot of the fighting just feels like it was added to pad the time. At least Tomb Raider felt like it was designed that way (and you could sneak up on people). Bioshock just seems like they made awesome environments and tacked on enemies at random points afterwards (with a few exceptions I guess).

Man, I've been to three awesome places for house sharing in Brisbane, and I didn't get any of them.

Argh!
Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that :( Especially since one of my friends has a new housemate who pretty much seems like the worst person alive (my friend has taken to calling him 'dead possum' because of the way the house smells now). If that guy can find a place to live I'm sure you'll be able to find something soon!

Gotta admit, I'm completely drained at the moment with my Uni studies. I feel like I can get a decent job right now, but I started my Masters and I'm set to complete it at the end of 2014.

Me too, especially this year. I'm just itching to get out and be actually productive and make money and actually start living. Working two jobs isn't making it any easier, but I feel totally drained right now.

Ayup. So far, the combat in the game hasn't been there to serve the narrative but instead breaks it up. There may be a reason that will become clear later but so far I've felt more frustration towards the combat.

I've also consume every single piece of food (even from bins... yum!) and picked up every coin. I know I'll need the coins because I will die often and will need to purchase health at every step of the way :)
Yeah, its pretty necessary. I still find looting annoying because it triggers something horrible and OCD deep down inside me.

Infinite goes from a very peaceful exploration (and hobo sim) game to punching out people's brains in the space of 1 minute.

In both games, I didn't really feel that it was a natural progression of the story and character development up until that point.

I can totally see some people arguing that the beginning was boring because it didn't have any shooty bits :p I really enjoyed it though.

Jintor

Actually the religious argument is a complete non-starter in any given legal reading. Its role in the issue is entirely political.

Jintor

Precedent, essentially. The problem with precedent, of course, is that it crystalises social views in the legal system and then it kind of just gets stuck there until there's enough political movement to change it again. Basically since gays even existing was somewhat beyond the comprehension of lawmakers and law interpreters in the 1900s many common law systems are stuck with it. If you're asking what legitimate legal reasons there are to exclude same-sex unions from marriage I'd have to say there aren't any that hold up to scrutiny.

In fact, marriage was never actually defined as between a man and a woman until 2004 when Howard and Ruddock shoved through a bunch of amendments into the Marriage Act because someone was making waves in the court system somewhere.

Ferga

Alright guys. 3DSXL is selling for $199 at jb-hifi this Easter long weekend. I know I'm going to eventually get it.

Do I get it now or hold out for a price drop?

Precedent, essentially. The problem with precedent, of course, is that it crystalises social views in the legal system and then it kind of just gets stuck there until there's enough political movement to change it again. Basically since gays even existing was somewhat beyond the comprehension of lawmakers and law interpreters in the 1900s many common law systems are stuck with it. If you're asking what legitimate legal reasons there are to exclude same-sex unions from marriage I'd have to say there aren't any that hold up to scrutiny.

In fact, marriage was never actually defined as between a man and a woman until 2004 when Howard and Ruddock shoved through a bunch of amendments into the Marriage Act because someone was making waves in the court system somewhere.

The two worst things to ever happen to Australian Politics.

markot

Banned
Seriously, they fucked everything. They made the Australian public believe that upper Middle Class handouts (electoral bribery) and virtually nothing else is great governance. Just fucking destructive and immoral.

Wrong!

Its those work for the dole boat people who ruin everything!

Ruddock's my local Federal MP, too. :/
It could be worse, you could live in Campbell Newman's seat :p

Seriously, they fucked everything. They made the Australian public believe that upper Middle Class handouts (electoral bribery) and virtually nothing else is great governance. Just fucking destructive and immoral.

And by middle class you mean average joes just struggling to get by on $250k right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom