• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Does any one know anyone who works at the Melbourne Convention Centre? It is IMPERATIVE I get in touch with a manager, or some one very very senior to help me to organise to have Sir David Attenborough sign this....

OPn33MU.jpg

Danoss

Welp, I'm pretty much done with the remaining members of the family.

Asked my brother if he wanted a game of Netrunner (card game) a little while ago, he looks at the clock on the wall (dead batteries, showing 12) and says he has to go soon since it has been a long day. He woke up at 11am (after going to bed at 10:30 last night and not even saying "hi" upon his arrival), drove the family off without me when I was in the shower to pick up something my mum bought and then off to lunch at the club with her and my gran.

Yep, must've been hard spending a few hours with your family after ditching your brother at home. Lies sure are difficult to detect.

Shaneus

Welp, I'm pretty much done with the remaining members of the family.

Asked my brother if he wanted a game of Netrunner (card game) a little while ago, he looks at the clock on the wall (dead batteries, showing 12) and says he has to go soon since it has been a long day. He woke up at 11am (after going to bed at 10:30 last night and not even saying "hi" upon his arrival), drove the family off without me when I was in the shower to pick up something my mum bought and then off to lunch at the club with her and my gran.

Yep, must've been hard spending a few hours with your family after ditching your brother at home. Lies sure are difficult to detect.
Fucking hell, man.

Come down to Victoria. MelbGAF can be your new family!

My body is never going to forgive me for the amount of chocolate I've eaten over the weekend...
I forgive you. EAT MOAR.

Indeed. You can choose your friends, but not your family.

Haven't seen the father-in-law or related family in nearly five years. No point in discussing it here, and it's the fault of both sides, but both are too stubborn to patch things up. A shame but there you go.

HolyCheck

I know we have a few photographers here who might get a kick out of how I spent my afternoon....

first: the view from my toilet room
644266_501858529870800_667600062_n.jpg

2nd: tape it all up... poke a hole
562604_501858573204129_1887551583_n.jpg

3rd: the image as it appears on the opposite wall to the window :)
479989_501858563204130_1584215347_n.jpg

huzzah.
483899_501858599870793_1558615554_n.jpg

This was really a rough first attempt. toilet room window was the smallest in teh apartment by far. going to try it in my room next weekend hopefully with some black cardboard.

Danoss

Fucking hell, man.

Once I'm able to afford getting away from here, I'm thinking of doing exactly that.

I know we have a few photographers here who might get a kick out of how I spent my afternoon...

Camera obscura; so cool, yet so simple. A smaller aperture will yield a better (but darker) result.

There are multiple instances of people turning the back of a truck into a camera obscura. They put photo paper on the back and exposed directly onto that, which produces enormous, gorgeous photos. Here's one example.

The more accurate the hole, the better they can be. If you want to mess around with something similar on your camera, have a look at buying some apertures that will be perfectly round, I think the ones for electron microscopes are the best you will find. You can buy a spare body cap, drill a hole, glue the aperture in there and you have a pinhole camera! They come in a pack of 100 most commonly, so if I can track some down I can easily send some your way and vice versa if you like.

They're not sharp at all, but they're fun to mess around with. You'll need a tripod too, because the f number can be ridiculously high.

HolyCheck

awesome, cheers danoss! didn't know it had a name, will look into it tonight.

caught it on a doco on photography about 4 or 5 years ago and have been always meaning to try it

Danoss

awesome, cheers danoss! didn't know it had a name, will look into it tonight.

caught it on a doco on photography about 4 or 5 years ago and have been always meaning to try it

Glad you're having fun with photography, it's fantastic.

I've found a place that sells electron microscope apertures, but I am beyond confused. If you can make anything of it, you're more than welcome to here.

Otherwise, there is one of the Rising Pinhole Caps. They're meant to be pretty decent and the cheapest have found is here on Ebay for US$43 with free shipping from South Korea (takes about 2-3 weeks from my experience). There's a place in Perth that sells them for $35 but they want $16.50 shipping for it. I don't know how they can justify that, Express Post Platinum would be cheaper than whatever they're doing.

Danoss

some where near the bototm were these, i assume they'll do the job... lol all the mesh stuff... is interesting....

ga75.jpg

That's what I think, I don't understand the mesh stuff, which is probably why I'm not in the field of microscopy. The aperture size is what I'm not sure on, there's a bit of maths involved there (or some googling to bludge off someone else's work),

Shaneus

Once I'm able to afford getting away from here, I'm thinking of doing exactly that.
This is good :) It sounds like things are fairly toxic where you are so I'm sure that living somewhere else would be do wonders for your physical as well as your mental health. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that if there's anything AusGAF can do to help (advice, support, whatever), just ask.

There are multiple instances of people turning the back of a truck into a camera obscura. They put photo paper on the back and exposed directly onto that, which produces enormous, gorgeous photos. Here's one example.

The more accurate the hole, the better they can be. If you want to mess around with something similar on your camera, have a look at buying some apertures that will be perfectly round, I think the ones for electron microscopes are the best you will find. You can buy a spare body cap, drill a hole, glue the aperture in there and you have a pinhole camera! They come in a pack of 100 most commonly, so if I can track some down I can easily send some your way and vice versa if you like.

They're not sharp at all, but they're fun to mess around with. You'll need a tripod too, because the f number can be ridiculously high.
That is fucking awesome. I mean, it all makes sense... but it's a wonder no-one had thought to do something like that until recently.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Has anyone gotten around to putting their kickstarter posters in frames?

I'm thinking of doing it for the ones that i've gotten but holy fuck why is it so hard to find frames online. It's impossible.

Danoss

This is good :) It sounds like things are fairly toxic where you are so I'm sure that living somewhere else would be do wonders for your physical as well as your mental health. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that if there's anything AusGAF can do to help (advice, support, whatever), just ask.

That is fucking awesome. I mean, it all makes sense... but it's a wonder no-one had thought to do something like that until recently.

It sure will be. Getting out will be a ways off, but I have no doubt that it will be worth it. Thanks for the offer, you and the rest of AusGAF have been awesome. Just having somewhere to vent and some listening ears is helpful enough and I couldn't ask for anything more.

I've seen some crazy camera obscura stuff done about 9-10 years ago, but it seems to be more prevalent and noticeable now that the use of film is becoming less frequent. I hope it doesn't ever go away because is is fantastic and wet plate photography in particular is incredible, there is nothing else like it. I hope to own a large format camera to be able to do some of that one day. Being more hands-on in the process is just something else.

You might like this short documentary of a guy who travels around with a van/truck and does wet plate photography in it. No negative, everything is one-of-a-kind and it produces an image like no other. It's absolutely gorgeous.

If you or anyone else is interested in the process of wet plate photography (even if you're not into the hobby, it's amazing) then you might want to check out this show, goes for about 30 mins. It shows that the art goes beyond pressing the stutter button and it's very rewarding.

some where near the bototm were these, i assume they'll do the job... lol all the mesh stuff... is interesting....

ga75.jpg

Seems that the main calculation that needs to be done is the distance of the film plane to the pinhole lens/body cap. Measuring that with all I have (a plastic ruler) is rather difficult and I get something around 45-47mm. I've found another pinhole lens (this one) that claims the distance is 42mm, but the aperture on that was tucked in a little bit.

Using this calculator, it seems the difference is negligible and results in leaning towards the 300μm/0.3mm size as the optimal aperture either way. We both have Canon crop bodies, so it'll be the same (so all our lenses are compatible) for each.

I have a spare room out here if you ever need to get away. Come to the One Night Stand
I won't be :p

Haha, thanks for the offer Fogz! I actually have what may be a strange question: how's the light pollution out there? I've been trying to figure out how far I'd need to get out of Sydney to be able to see and photograph the stars.

I'm considering a trip to Jenolan Caves sometime in the near future to see what it's like there. If the light pollution is still bad, at least there are cool caves to tour and photograph.

I'm thinking of doing it for the ones that i've gotten but holy fuck why is it so hard to find frames online. It's impossible.

I've purchased a frame from Frameshop.com.au and it's pretty good. I had it matted and I'm happy with the quality of that too.

Shaneus

For what particular thing?

I don't thin I'd go online for something like that anyway. I can think of at least one or two framing places that'd do a quote easier than finding something online that may or may not be right. Perhaps not as cheap as online, but you know what you're getting :)

I don't thin I'd go online for something like that anyway.
Yeah, if you just want a frame it'll fit in, IKEA sell cheap frames that aren't ugly (and depending on the size can have mats).

If you want a nice thick frame or one with an interesting design, multiple mats, etc, you're best off taking it somewhere for advice.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ta guys.

I think I would just like a simple frame with maybe UV glass. Although i'm not too sure if the stuff is really worth protecting. Maybe just the idle thumbs one since the double fine one is mostly garbage and the banner saga one is so so.

They are still sitting in their tubes.

Fogz

Haha, thanks for the offer Fogz! I actually have what may be a strange question: how's the light pollution out there? I've been trying to figure out how far I'd need to get out of Sydney to be able to see and photograph the stars.

Not much, maybe a little bit in town, but drive in any direction for 10 minutes and you'll lose civilisation :p

A little while ago I posted about Robotech toys that have been sitting in a box at my parents place. I need to get rid of them sometime soon, so I'm looking to sell them on the cheap.

Anyone interested?

DSC_0034.jpg

Kritz

Banned
Turns out I'm kinda okay at Catan. Second place, first game I've ever played.

It took us, as a group, about 45 minutes to work out that fucking UI though.

Deeku

so, friend dragged me along to the clubbing district.

clubbing still totally isn't for me...like we had drinks and talked to random girls and stuff, but i just feel like a lost kid or something:/ best part was when a girl was like so u want my number, i said no lol.

ugh!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

clubbing still totally isn't for me...like we had drinks and talked to random girls and stuff, but i just feel like a lost kid or something:/ best part was when a girl was like so u want my number, i said no lol.

ugh!

Lol, sounds like a typical feeling with my personal experience.:D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Got game of thrones S2 on the left of me on the laptop. I've read the books before so i'm not really paying too much attention to it all.

Guess this will be my easter monday! TV Marathon time.

markot

Banned

ugh!

racist

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat Metal Gear Rising : Revengence on Hard. What a game, it definitely feels rough around the edges (there's a clear distnict lack of polish in the later levels) but the feel of the combat is SO DAMN GOOD and the last 3 boss fights were bad-ass.

But man the story in the game.. I have no idea how this is suppose to be canon, it feels like self-parody espesically that "nanomachines, SON" line my god.:lol I mean the previous MGS games have arguably gone down to that level in some cases, but the self-awareness of this game is just what.:lol

Shame, I have to return the game later today. Can't wait to pick it up and do some replays in the coming months.:D

Jintor

it's absolutely self-parody. That line should've been the trigger

mind you i'm of the opinion all of metal gear is self parody. I just started MGS2 and by the end of the tanker incident i just shrugged and gave up. This whole series is nonsense and I'll enjoy it for that nonsense

markot

Banned

mind you i'm of the opinion all of metal gear is self parody. I just started MGS2 and by the end of the tanker incident i just shrugged and gave up. This whole series is nonsense and I'll enjoy it for that nonsense

Careful they might hear you...

Truth, Kojima agrees with you despite what some fanatics want.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
MGS storytelling is just fun characters acting overdramatic with monologues and spewing technobabble. Fucking loved that aspect in MGS1&2; espesically the whole solid snake x liquid snake relationship. It's so much fun to watch play out.

Stuff like this (MGS2 spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZC_-vXWjcw is why I find the storytelling so entertaining in MGS.

markot

Banned
MGS storytelling is just fun characters acting overdramatic with monologues and spewing technobabble. Fucking loved that aspect in MGS1&2; espesically the whole solid snake x liquid snake relationship. It's so much fun to watch play out.

Stuff like this (MGS2 spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZC_-vXWjcw is why I find the storytelling so entertaining in MGS.

Its padding bs to make the game feel longer.

Also, I think Kojima takes it srsly. He just realises no one else does so he pretends not to. Secretly he crys himself to sleep at night over it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom