• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Pfft, crickets are awesome.

Had an interesting experience on the weekend. A good long time friend of mine went crazy in the head and attacked his former workplace (a government department) with a chainsaw. His mum called me and tearfully informed me and I was sad for a while, but then he called me from the psych ward and asked me if I knew what happened and I knew this was my chance. I said "Yeah, I heard you support cuts to the public service." He laughed like a madman.

Jintor

Had an interesting experience on the weekend. A good long time friend of mine went crazy in the head and attacked his former workplace (a government department) with a chainsaw. His mum called me and tearfully informed me and I was sad for a while, but then he called me from the psych ward and asked me if I knew what happened and I knew this was my chance. I said "Yeah, I heard you support cuts to the public service." He laughed like a madman.

I can't tell if you're serious or not

Fredescu

I can't tell if you're serious or not

Completely serious. No one was hurt in the attack, I guess he was just going for property damage. In the first news article about it a witness mentioned he didn't seem like he wanted to hurt anyone, or something like that.

Edit: Unless you meant the crickets. I stand by my support of those.

Shaneus

First thing that came to mind.

Haha awesome call.

Shaneus

Fuck. First I buy Tropico 4 on GMG because it's cheapish @ $15 or so. Then, it's cheaper on Steam, so I buy that (not sure... I think a little over $10?). Now, it's on GMG, it's $8 and it's a fucking Steam key. This is all in the space of a month or so. Fuck's sake.

Fuck. First I buy Tropico 4 on GMG because it's cheapish @ $15 or so. Then, it's cheaper on Steam, so I buy that (not sure... I think a little over $10?). Now, it's on GMG, it's $8 and it's a fucking Steam key. This is all in the space of a month or so. Fuck's sake.

Also this has 7 pieces of DLC included in that $8.

DLC is worth $50 on Steam!

This is all in the space of a month or so. Fuck's sake.
Did you play it in that time? If so, you got enjoyment out of it, so don't worry about it.

If you didn't, your new rule is not to buy a game unless you expect to play it shortly.

Problem (partly) solved.

Shaneus

Also this has 7 pieces of DLC included in that $8.

DLC is worth $50 on Steam!
It was the complete pack I bought on Steam. Pretty sure all that stuff was included in what I bought.

Did you play it in that time? If so, you got enjoyment out of it, so don't worry about it.

If you didn't, your new rule is not to buy a game unless you expect to play it shortly.

Problem (partly) solved.
Shut up.

Free VPN service as part of a Japanese University experiment.

Tropico 4, Tropico 4: DLC Modern Times, Tropico 4: DLC Junta, Tropico 4: DLC Plantador, Tropico 4: DLC Quick-Dry-Cement, Tropico 4: DLC Pirate Heaven, Tropico 4: DLC Megalopolis & Tropico 4: DLC Vigilante for $8 on GMG (Steamkey)

Raw, grilled on the BBQ might be worth a shot actually.

This has been at the top of my steam wishlist for more than a year, probably about time to pull the trigger. Finishing Skyrim, Xcom, Dishonoured, The Walking Dead, Spec Ops etc... first be damned.

I'm sorry to hear that, Fred. I hope your friend finally gets the help he needs despite being refused it in the past (sorry, I looked up the story). Sounds like a shitty situation that got worse due to negligence by the system.

Shaneus

I just dared venture into the bus thread, and saw this:
It's pretty easy to agitate someone with stupidity. I just followed your lead.
Literally laughed out loud. Fucking love you, Danoss <3

Eight dollars is actually more than my current limit for new games, so no you shut up.
No. You.

PS. eSports as a concept strikes me as really, REALLY peculiar. I'm trying to think of an analogy or simile, but... I dunno. Watching people do something that's considered just a hobby by 99% of people who participate in it is just bizarre. Like competitive crocheting or speed gardening.

hamchan

That's just the money on top... not including all the seeder tourneys which will run as usual (GSL + IEM + Dreamhack + MLG + OGN)

Yeah I know, it's not very big news in a world where Dota 2 and LoL have already been doing huge $1 million + tournaments for a couple of years now. Blizz are pretty much following the LoL championship series it looks like. Better late than never I guess.

Though Tastosis being able to cast OSL now is pretty nice.

jambo

PS. eSports as a concept strikes me as really, REALLY peculiar. I'm trying to think of an analogy or simile, but... I dunno. Watching people do something that's considered just a hobby by 99% of people who participate in it is just bizarre. Like competitive crocheting or speed gardening.

I don't consider gaming a hobby. More of a lifestyle choice.

Dead Man

I just dared venture into the bus thread, and saw this:

Literally laughed out loud. Fucking love you, Danoss <3

No. You.

I imagine that's what a lot of people think about motorsports. I know my sister does. 'I hate driving, why do I want to watch people drive in circles?'

Shaneus

I imagine that's what a lot of people think about motorsports. I know my sister does. 'I hate driving, why do I want to watch people drive in circles?'
Possibly, but I enjoy driving and I also enjoy motorsports. Stands to reason that if you don't like doing it yourself as an everyday task, you won't enjoy watching it. But I assume most eSports-watchers enjoy playing the games that they're watching other people play. So why not just play them yourself? I mean, I'm sure a small part of it is to pick up techniques or what have you, but one tends to learn more by doing and experiencing than watching.

Having said that, I think I must be thinking of a very specific type of eSports, mainly because it was coloured by hearing it was a Blizzard announcement, ergo it must be RTS or MMORPG-related. FPS games I can kind of see being enjoyable to watch, but only in very small doses.

Also, I have watched fighting game tournaments and gotten a kick out of those, but I think that's because I'm shit at fighting games (same reason people watch regular sports). And Catherine tournaments are fun as hell to watch, too.

Ugh, THIS POST MAKES NO SENSE AND IS FULL OF CONTRADICTIONS. SCREW IT.

jambo

Stands to reason that if you don't like doing it yourself as an everyday task, you won't enjoy watching it. But I assume most eSports-watchers enjoy playing the games that they're watching other people play. So why not just play them yourself?

I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

Why are there 100,000 people at the AFL Grand Final?

THEY SHOULD JUST PLAY AFL OLOLOL

Possibly, but I enjoy driving and I also enjoy motorsports. Stands to reason that if you don't like doing it yourself as an everyday task, you won't enjoy watching it. But I assume most eSports-watchers enjoy playing the games that they're watching other people play. So why not just play them yourself?
Can't be fucked mate.

I love Cricket, can't be fucked going outside though.

Dead Man

Possibly, but I enjoy driving and I also enjoy motorsports. Stands to reason that if you don't like doing it yourself as an everyday task, you won't enjoy watching it. But I assume most eSports-watchers enjoy playing the games that they're watching other people play. So why not just play them yourself? I mean, I'm sure a small part of it is to pick up techniques or what have you, but one tends to learn more by doing and experiencing than watching.

Having said that, I think I must be thinking of a very specific type of eSports, mainly because it was coloured by hearing it was a Blizzard announcement, ergo it must be RTS or MMORPG-related. FPS games I can kind of see being enjoyable to watch, but only in very small doses.

Also, I have watched fighting game tournaments and gotten a kick out of those, but I think that's because I'm shit at fighting games (same reason people watch regular sports). And Catherine tournaments are fun as hell to watch, too.

Have a hug Choc.

markot

Banned
Is not a sport cause its stupid.

Sports should be based on what I call survivability.

In a zombie apocalypse being 556apm won't help. Riding a car or horse well and fast will.

That is why the greeks used mostly martial sports.

Does the skill have a use beyond its sport?

Shaneus

I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

Why are there 100,000 people at the AFL Grand Final?

THEY SHOULD JUST PLAY AFL OLOLOL
Can't be fucked mate.

I love Cricket, can't be fucked going outside though.
Yeah, but you still have a kick of the footy or a hit of the ball in your backyard. Anyway, I said at the end of that post that my argument was fucked, so you're all suckers for trying to tell me my post made no sense. Joke's on you guys.

PS. I think it's more the "eSports" name that shits me. Competitive gaming, sure. No worries. Watching it? Cool. But having leagues and that sort of shit just feels bizarre to me. For some reason, I consider "eSports" and events like Shadowloo and EVO to be distinctly different (perhaps because they don't use that fucking stupid name).

Have a hug Choc.
Knew there was a reason I was glad you're back <3

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

FPS esports is the worst esports.

RTS / Moba / fighting you can view the entire game, you are an observer.

especially RTS and Moba, you can play yes, but you can't watch the entire game when you play.

much like football.

"Yeah, but you still have a kick of the footy or a hit of the ball in your backyard."

lol ok you've just lost your own discussion, hahah im confused now too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom