• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory Communism works.

only thing that gets me out of bed on days i feel shitty is the need to feed the cat and give her water.
so i bought an automated electronic feeder and water fountain.
gg

Pfft, cat needs attention more than food or water. No attention and they shrivel up and die.

SO DONT KILL YOU CAT, GIVE IT ATTENTION, IT NEEDS YOU.

so steam chat just made a discovery
apparently people in nsw dont know what minimum chips means
so far we know that vic and tas use that system at a fish and chip shop
need to take this to the thread for the rest of aus
do you use a dollar value or small med and large

I think one of the major issues with people's understanding of science, especially evolution, is the scientific use of the word "theory."

The general word refers to something that is speculated or unsubstantiated, whereas a scientific theory is a "well-substantiated explanation, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."

That's going to keep coming up as an issue. In common conversation a "theory" is basically a "concept". It doesn't need to be substantiated or even particularly plausible.

I've been guilty of making this mistake in the past

Dead Man

so steam chat just made a discovery
apparently people in nsw dont know what minimum chips means
so far we know that vic and tas use that system at a fish and chip shop
need to take this to the thread for the rest of aus
do you use a dollar value or small med and large

Who doesn't use minimum chips? Some places here have sizes now (mainly chicken shops), but any decent fish and chip shop will have min dollar amount.

What's the lowest you remember minimum chips being? I can recall 40c chips when I was a wee lad. By the time I could by my own they were about a dollar I think.

I think one of the major issues with people's understanding of science, especially evolution, is the scientific use of the word "theory."

The general word refers to something that is speculated or unsubstantiated, whereas a scientific theory is a "well-substantiated explanation, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."

Yeah, it's like a lot of words that have become more prominent in sociology that don't mean what the common meaning is. Drives me bonkers. Theory I will exempt since the scientific meaning is the original I think.

Yeah, it's like a lot of words that have become more prominent in sociology that don't mean what the common meaning is. Drives me bonkers. Theory I will exempt since the scientific meaning is the original I think.

When you say bonkers, do you mean "slightly drunk"? See: original naval slang

yeah I'm in NSW got no clue bout min chips

edit: lol google dictionary ftw

2sZgO

Kritz

Banned
Pandemic arrived. Probably won't get to play it 'til the weekend but it looks awesome. Weird that it dispatched two days after Ticket to Ride, yet Ticket to Ride hasn't shown up yet. No attempted delivery slips either.

Not that it really matters so long as it arrives before the weekend.

Pandemic arrived. Probably won't get to play it 'til the weekend but it looks awesome. Weird that it dispatched two days after Ticket to Ride, yet Ticket to Ride hasn't shown up yet. No attempted delivery slips either.

Enjoy. It's a great game.

Danoss

It is weird how that happens. Easter has prolonged the deliveries, I'm still waiting on a few from OGS that went out a week ago today. Should be here by the end of the week I'd say.

Are you required to sign for your OGS deliveries? None of mine have required a signature, so my driver leaves them all on the back step (he always does the right thing, he's an excellent driver and I'll be sad if he ever leaves).

I'm people in nsw and I know what minimum chips means. It tends to be small/medium/large these days though.

Yeah, it's mostly sizes now. I remember when $2 worth of chips could feed a whole family.

Kritz

Banned
It is weird how that happens. Easter has prolonged the deliveries, I'm still waiting on a few from OGS that went out a week ago today. Should be here by the end of the week I'd say.

Are you required to sign for your OGS deliveries? None of mine have required a signature, so my driver leaves them all on the back step (he always does the right thing, he's an excellent driver and I'll be sad if he ever leaves).

I've never been asked for a signature. So hopefully he does just drop it at the door and runs, because I won't be home tomorrow for the time they deliver and probably not Friday either.

Might leave a note on the door, maybe.

I bet the 5 potato cakes for the price of 4 unspoken bond with the fish n chip guy is universal.

I've never been asked for a signature. So hopefully he does just drop it at the door and runs, because I won't be home tomorrow for the time they deliver and probably not Friday either.

Might leave a note on the door, maybe.

OGS is all drop and run, usually they will try and find a hiding spot since the packages always looks like they are expensive.

markot

Banned
I bet the 5 potato cakes for the price of 4 unspoken bond with the fish n chip guy is universal.

OGS is all drop and run, usually they will try and find a hiding spot since the packages always looks like they are expensive.

fuck you, they do it cause they like meeeeeeee!

Shaneus

That thread gave me an excuse to post this. Such a great little anecdote:
(re: the babel fish, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
<3 Douglas Adams

Rezbit

Did you get the new release or the old version?

Kritz

Banned
Went to the Brighton corner store and bought $7 worth of chips and it came in this tiny little packet that barely split between two people.

I miss the New Town corner shop where $5'd get you juuuust enough over 'too many' to make everyone feel way too full of chip. They were nice, crispy, big chips too. None of this shitty soggy bendy shit.

Did you get the new release or the old version?

Re-release. Dunno what's different besides art.

Also it's super weird the rule book somehow forgets to mention that you have to discard cards at the end of your turn if you're over 7. It mentions discarding when you go over 7 and it's not your turn, but nowhere does it mention you need to do it at the end of your turn.

With the new version, some have a misprint, missing the route between south America and Africa.

There's definitely a line between South America and Africa. There's no line between, um, southern Chile city and, um, whatever the city is east of that, though. Which seems super weird.

I wonder if you can Solitare that game. Might play a practice game so I know how to teach family when we play on the weekend.

Kritz

Banned
That would be because of the Andes.

And you can definitely solo it, just play a couple roles.

I guess the logic is that white lines are drivable / ferry-able. So maybe some stonking great mountains would get in the way of that.

I do really like how the design of the game promotes areas being infected between 5-6 times through the course of a game, and how chain reactions can just ruin a game due to negligence.

--

Oh, also.

Does anyone have any board game websites / videos to recommend? A quick search of youtube returns Wil Wheaton's pretty decent thing, but not much else. Maybe I'm so used to video game's enthusiast press, but there doesn't seem to be much out there at a casual glance. Again, I haven't really worked out what my board game 'taste' is yet, so throw anything at me that's well written / presented and I'll probably try it out / like it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

The thing is what makes it even more complicated is EVOLUTION is both a fact and a theory. The fact that evolution happens is a fact.. the theory aspect of it on the other hand is HOW it happens. The same thing can be said about the theory of gravity, we know on one hand that "things fall" however our explanation for why things fall is always tentative to further revision and experiment.

Omikron

I guess the logic is that white lines are drivable / ferry-able. So maybe some stonking great mountains would get in the way of that.

I do really like how the design of the game promotes areas being infected between 5-6 times through the course of a game, and how chain reactions can just ruin a game due to negligence.

--

Oh, also.

Does anyone have any board game websites / videos to recommend? A quick search of youtube returns Wil Wheaton's pretty decent thing, but not much else. Maybe I'm so used to video game's enthusiast press, but there doesn't seem to be much out there at a casual glance. Again, I haven't really worked out what my board game 'taste' is yet, so throw anything at me that's well written / presented and I'll probably try it out / like it.
Yeah, will link you up later if Danoss didn't jump in, links via phone take forever!

I'll take Magika Vietnam if you are still offering, thanks!

I've been using it since it was available in Australia (and used it in the US when I was there last year, just before it hit our shores) and liked it so much that I subscribed to it.
Chiggidy-check yo PM, my good man! :D (I didn't forget you. Fuck you, Fred, and your book learnings)

You're cool.
Did you realize that you were replying to me???

For you guys who are pulling down insane speeds on steam. What server locations are you all using ?
The good ones.

(Sorry, I can't help you, I just wanted to get the unhelpful pithy remark in)

Kritz

Banned
The thing is what makes it even more complicated is EVOLUTION is both a fact and a theory. The fact that evolution happens is a fact.. the theory aspect of it on the other hand is HOW it happens. The same thing can be said about the theory of gravity, we know on one hand that "things fall" however our explanation for why things fall is always tentative to further revision and experiment.

It's funny how much more respect* I have for the concept of evolution / darwinism after doing some study via my AI course on Artificial Genetics. Watcing some really neat videos from a computer scientist I don't remember the name of where he made software to generate AI, which would evolve over time to complete abitrary goals, and the AIs which completed those goals were selected to be mutated upon in order to attempt, by pseudo-random procedural heuristics, to do the goal better than the previous lot.

When the goal was to, say, move the furthest distance in half a minute, the resulting output after millions of generations were AI creations that resembled various insects and creatures found in the real world. Snake-like slithering creatures, pushing limb creatures that resembled turtles. It was all really interesting.

And, of course, the one example where the AI simply generated a really, really, really tall cube and pushed itself over, thus becoming the winner by completing the condition of, "getting really far really fast". Showing that a computer always gives you what you tell it to do, regardless of what result you expected.

ohn hey here's the video

* by 'respect' I don't mean 'belief'. I mean, well, admire / understand or something.

For you guys who are pulling down insane speeds on steam. What server locations are you all using ?

I use the NSW Internode one, it happily maxes my bandwidth outside of peak times and still flys during. I'm on 4G wireless but I still get 1.7-1.8 MB/s reliably from it.

w00t!

If you used cakes, you would miss out on so many cool rhyming couplets in your mad rhymes!! That would be silly; nothing rhymes with cakes!

Ahhh, SKAlops!

You could probably rhyme cake with "mate" and "bake" if you wanted to lay down some ill Aussie raps. "Getting baked with my mates eating potato cakes, I hope these fucking flakes would come to my wake" Or something.

Danoss

My biggest recommendation would be Shut Up & Sit Down. Unlike most other reviews, they actually tell you what the game is like to play, and how it makes you feel. The majority of the rest are just rules explanations, and since when is that ever fun or interesting? Here's links to Shut Up and Sit Down's old site and recently launched new site. There is different content on each, so check them both out. Also, you've probably read and enjoyed their work on RPS and EuroGamer.

If you like rules explanations, have a look at Watch it Played. This guy does an excellent job, unlike the others (namely Tom Vasel *shakes fist*) who will yell the rules in your face and talk about "fun" without any reason why until you fall asleep or close the video in frustration. You'll get a nice run-through of the game in action. Excellent to see how the mechanics work and to understand the flow and rules of the game (especially if you learn better this way than reading about it), rather than an often stale rules book.

The big site that you probably already know about is BoardGameGeek, if not, you do now. Most of the shit you want or need is there. It's an ugly shitfight of a site, but functional once you get used to it.

A bunch of us should probably start playing some board games online together. You can see what type of games you like, and plus we can all play games together. You'll know about BrettspielWelt already, there is also Board Game Arena. One that I haven't even given much of a look at, but has a tonne of modules for all sorts of board games is VASSAL.

Dead Man

w00t!

If you used cakes, you would miss out on so many cool rhyming couplets in your mad rhymes!! That would be silly; nothing rhymes with cakes!

Ahhh, SKAlops!

Shit, that does make a good argument. Herd wins.

You could probably rhyme cake with "mate" and "bake" if you wanted to lay down some ill Aussie raps. "Getting baked with my mates eating potato cakes, I hope these fucking flakes would come to my wake" Or something.

Argues against their own position? +10 'fair go' points.

I said: Nothing. Rhymes. With. Cakes.

Dude, you're like, ruining my whole reasoning here. What are you trying to do to me, man?

Shit, that does make a good argument. Herd wins.
Yeah, but they lose points for the SKAlops pronunciation. That kinda grinds my gears.

Argues against their own position +10 'fair go' points.
I know, right?

Dead Man

I said: Nothing. Rhymes. With. Cakes.

Dude, you're like, ruining my whole reasoning here. What are you trying to do to me, man?

Yeah, but they lose points for the SKAlops pronunciation. That kinda grinds my gears.

I know, right?

LOL. Yeah, the pronunciation is bad, but Aussie hip hop circa 2001, what can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom