• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pack it up guys/gals, it's in our DNA to be racist and celebrate failure (cause we are convicts). I can't help but shake my head at GAF sometimes.

"Racism exists worldwide. Even ugly racism.

What offends me most are the people who insist they don't exist in Australia. Australians are in amazing denial of the level of racism in their own country.

Australians are only culturally tolerant for as long as it suits them commercially. Beyond that, they'll slag you off the instant you turn your back. Often they don't even wait for that to happen - they'll just do it straight in your face, and then plead for their right to do so because ignorance makes it okay.

Australians love to celebrate mediocrity and failure. It's in their DNA as a convict nation. Why else are we're taught to celebrate getting a "thanks for coming" certificate? As my father taught me from a young age: "Aussie kids are stupid. They think near enough is good enough. And that's why you'll beat them."

Omikron

Any of MelGAF interested in Friday night drinks? Holy, Banana, Omi and I have all expressed some sort of interest. Any other takers? Perhaps other MelGAFfers in the thread who haven't attended any meets might want to come along.

Beer DeLuxe is always nice and central, so that's easy unless anyone's got any other ideas.

I am pro booze. Will be in the city either way as I have work break up lunch on earlier. :D

Clipper

Clip, why are friday night and saturday night drinks on your form? This is a bloody outrage it is.

I'm a bit confused, did you mean why aren't they on there? If we're meeting on one of the PAX days, we'll sort out time of day later. Evening does make the most sense of course. I added the stuff about Thursday and Monday to weed out what times outside of the PAX days people will also be around if it just happens those are better.

I really should buy something for the 3DS :/

Does anyone else get the feeling the Wii U is going to be a huge bomb? Like, of GameCube proportions?

It just doesn't seem like anyone is going to make games for it. At all. Look at the western publishers that still exist:

- EA: basically have zero interest in the console. At this point I'm convinced Iwata had an affair with Riccitello's wife.
- Ubisoft: - They'll put out ports and Just Dance. Doubt they'll make any more exclusives after Rayman.
- Take Two: - won't support it.
- THQ: Soon to be dead.
- Activison: Barely release anything outside of CoD and Skylanders anyway.
- Bethesda: Can't picture them providing any support.

It might have some okay support in Japan, but handhelds rule there and for the developers still making console games want nothing more than to appeal to the west (see: Dark "we want that sweet sweet Elder Scrolls money" Souls 2).

All the developers that could have found a home on the Wii U are dead. Mid-tier games are dead and they are never coming back. It's big budgets or $10 DD games, with nothing in between. Talking consoles only here, of course.

If I didn't basically shift 90% of my gaming to PC this would make me really sad. It certainly makes the 14 year old Nintendo fanboy version of me sad.

So. Wii2.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
If anything I'd be more worried about the lack of support from Japan on the Wii U at this stage.

I mean there's so many games announced;

-
-
-
-
-

Look at them all!

I think the problem is the Wii U GamePad won't pull in as many casuals as the WiiMote waggle stuff did.

Although tablets are pretty popular these days. Who knows. I just don't think it will do any where near as good as the PS4 and 720.

Only 10% of the industry's $50 billion comes from casuals

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-12-monetizing-games-crucial-advice-from-key-players

I'm sure there are games coming to Wii U, they're just not going to be announced any time soon and that's the problem. We know nothing about the games post Q2.

Yeah, but I thought that about the 3DS too and it seems to be going ok, so what do I know.
And the thing is, it really doesn't have much of a right to doing well, either. The number of high profile releases this year plus the absolute dearth of quality releases during the first 4 or 5 months next years is frightening. Considering the unit still sells over a hundred thousand each month is baffling. I can only assume it's being used as a DS machine for most of the time.

I actually think that the Vita has had a much stronger 12months than the 3DS, which is why the sales numbers from Sony's handheld are quite frustrating.

Anyone using dodo adsl2+ broadband? I'm thinking of signing up for it since TPG can not service my new place at the moment.
Have you moved in yet? Christmas in your own home?

markot

Banned
I bought third party games on the snes, but since then I've pretty much only bought Nintendo made or published games on Nintendo stuff. Third parties largely abandoned Nintendo stuff at least in the west. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Pack it up guys/gals, it's in our DNA to be racist and celebrate failure (cause we are convicts). I can't help but shake my head at GAF sometimes.
Racist Americans are racist. Plenty of them on GAF.

Anyone using dodo adsl2+ broadband? I'm thinking of signing up for it since TPG can not service my new place at the moment.
Yup, no issues here. Slow speeds for me though compared to iiNet, might be the distance to the excahgne or the phone line though.

Any of MelGAF interested in Friday night drinks? Holy, Banana, Omi and I have all expressed some sort of interest. Any other takers? Perhaps other MelGAFfers in the thread who haven't attended any meets might want to come along.

Beer DeLuxe is always nice and central, so that's easy unless anyone's got any other ideas.

I'm going away this weekend. :<

Shaneus

Prrrrobably. I don't think anything's on for tomorrow. Will see if I've shaken this cold much more than today. Wouldn't be able to in my current state, that's for sure.

It had a good luanch lineup and a good last couple of months but not alot in between
Granted. Next year's looking quite barren for the Vita, too.

Handhelds am dead!

Final inspection tomorrow. If everything is ok, I should be getting possession around the 20th.

So yes, probably xmas at new place. Alone, all alone.
Congratulations! You'll have your dog/s, won't you? You're never alone with a dog around.

Anyway, being in the company of other people can sometimes be overrated.

Shaneus

"Racism exists worldwide. Even ugly racism.

What offends me most are the people who insist they don't exist in Australia. Australians are in amazing denial of the level of racism in their own country.

Australians are only culturally tolerant for as long as it suits them commercially. Beyond that, they'll slag you off the instant you turn your back. Often they don't even wait for that to happen - they'll just do it straight in your face, and then plead for their right to do so because ignorance makes it okay.

Australians love to celebrate mediocrity and failure. It's in their DNA as a convict nation. Why else are we're taught to celebrate getting a "thanks for coming" certificate? As my father taught me from a young age: "Aussie kids are stupid. They think near enough is good enough. And that's why you'll beat them."
I wish I didn't open that thread.
Wait... someone's actually posted that tripe in a thread on GAF? They should be fucking banned for that shit. I'm curious to know where that poster's from and what his father's origins are. Just... ugh, fuck them all. That's about as racist a post as anyone could make about any culture and they should be called out on it.

62vPc.png

Does this mean I'm getting my Vita today? :eek:!

Still waiting, it's 2pm...
I guess it doesn't mean my Vita is coming today?

trinest

Wait... someone's actually posted that tripe in a thread on GAF? They should be fucking banned for that shit. I'm curious to know where that poster's from and what his father's origins are. Just... ugh, fuck them all. That's about as racist a post as anyone could make about any culture and they should be called out on it.

I think the posters points up until the mediocrity part were pretty spot on. As much as we don't want to admit it, we do cover up as a nation our racism and it is entrenched in our culture and celebrated.

As for the mediocrity thing? Limiting the trend of high five for turning up to Australia is discussing, pretty much everyone else is starting to do it as well.

If anything I'd be more worried about the lack of support from Japan on the Wii U at this stage.

I mean there's so many games announced;

-
-
-
-
-

Look at them all!

Only 10% of the industry's $50 billion comes from casuals

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-12-monetizing-games-crucial-advice-from-key-players

I'm sure there are games coming to Wii U, they're just not going to be announced any time soon and that's the problem. We know nothing about the games post Q2.

I think Nintendo should of prepared all their games months ago, and even with some of their 3DS releases coming soon, they had a nice system of releasing games one each month, then ruined that system which built a backlog which then built a delay log and now we have the situation with the 3DS where there are no games, and the Wii U has a similar issue until March, many Wii U games should of been prepared much earlier so they can space out launches and get some Christmas games happening.

I really should buy something for the 3DS :/

So. Wii2.

The Wii had a push because it became successful, yeah a good chunk ended up not been released on it, but the systems success helped it gain more games and overall the experience was enjoyable. It seems that we know little about the games to come, and what we do know are coming are all grouped together (no doubt will be delayed and spread out over the year) and there is a huge space of no releases right now. I don't think it will gain much traction market wise because of this, and it no doubt could end up l'much more like the gamecube then the Wii was.

Still waiting, it's 2pm...
I guess it doesn't mean my Vita is coming today?

I had a few things appear like that recently and they did come the day it said it was on board with driver. Maybe give auspost a ring or something?

Kritz

Banned
"Have any you Aussies ever wondered if you get so fucking defensive when people point out uncomfortable facts about your shithole of a country because such a large percentage of you really are racist uneducated inbred criminal scum? Like you I'm just curious..."

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
"Have any you Aussies ever wondered if you get so fucking defensive when people point out uncomfortable facts about your shithole of a country because such a large percentage of you really are racist uneducated inbred criminal scum? Like you I'm just curious..."

That person better be banned.

senahorse

Wowsers that turned into a shitfest quick, I don't usually get involved with them but some of the stuff being said in that thread was insane.

Danoss

That thread was essentially: "There was a video of a handful of individuals being racist towards another on a bus in a Melbourne suburb. It's disgraceful to see people apply stereotypes to a poor individual. Bloody Australians, they're all the same!" Without a hint of irony.

Govt job.
Don't you mean Campbells QLD?

markot will.
He (you Markot) went over the line for what I would consider being too aggressive to another member, even taking into consideration the slander coming from the poster in question. Also be careful with the use of cunt still!

I think the posters points up until the mediocrity part were pretty spot on. As much as we don't want to admit it, we do cover up as a nation our racism and it is entrenched in our culture and celebrated.

I'm of the opinion that people are more open about it, even compared to 12 months ago. That video was condemned across the board by the media and 99% of people discussing it. I've certainly found people more willing to discuss the possibility of them saying things that are racist lately when in the past they would just blow it off and it wouldn't even enter into their mind. We still have a long way to go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom