• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Since I've made a content post, it's time for some crass low brow humour.

aXK0WqM.jpg

BWAHAHAHA, now, which is the one from Star Wars?

Is there anyone here who knows anything about currency exchange? I'm looking to get some Yen for my trip to Japan in December. I know the exchange rate is very good at the moment... but is it likely to get better? And where is the best place to buy currency in terms of exchange rates?
Unless you're planning on buying thousands of dollars worth up front I wouldn't bother. The only time it would be beneficial is if the yen suddenly increases significantly versus the dollar.

You're more likely to save more money by buying airline tickets and booking hotels now in my opinion. I almost never book hotels further out than a month before, as they often discount during that time. Your selection can often be limited though.

Is there anyone here who knows anything about currency exchange? I'm looking to get some Yen for my trip to Japan in December. I know the exchange rate is very good at the moment... but is it likely to get better? And where is the best place to buy currency in terms of exchange rates?

UAE- for cash.
Australia Post- is good for cash but you may have to order it and collect the cash when it turns up. They are also the best place for cashpassport visa/MC cards. no fee for setting one up compared to a bank. They also do the AMEX cards, which may better if you think you'll have money left over and keep till a future trip.

There're also Travelex ATMs around the place these days but the rate would probably not be the greatest.

Fredescu

I was listening to that album on the way to work and thinking just how good the Mr Milk lyrics are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpBnsiR80vk

A beautifully positive working class love song without really going into full story mode. That whole album is like that really. It evokes suburbia without being cynical about it. Hi Fi Way was my favourite between the two when they first came out, but Hourly Daily has become my favourite over the years.

Unless you're planning on buying thousands of dollars worth up front I wouldn't bother. The only time it would be beneficial is if the yen suddenly increases significantly versus the dollar.

You're more likely to save more money by buying airline tickets and booking hotels now in my opinion. I almost never book hotels further out than a month before, as they often discount during that time. Your selection can often be limited though.

I was maybe going to get a couple of thousand worth, in case the rate goes back down.

We have our flights booked back to Australia from Osaka (after bullshit expenses they were $325 each), but haven't been able to find a cheap flight there yet which kind of makes booking hotels dificult. It's definitely a priority though!

UAE- for cash.
Australia Post- is good for cash but you may have to order it and collect the cash when it turns up. They are also the best place for cashpassport visa/MC cards. no fee for setting one up compared to a bank. They also do the AMEX cards, which may better if you think you'll have money left over and keep till a future trip.

There're also Travelex ATMs around the place these days but the rate would probably not be the greatest.

I've heard using Travelex or other cards isn't really a good way to go in Japan because it's mostly a cash based society. But it might be a good idea if I don't want to be carrying around wads of cash... Hmm....

Shaneus

I was listening to that album on the way to work and thinking just how good the Mr Milk lyrics are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpBnsiR80vk

A beautifully positive working class love song without really going into full story mode. That whole album is like that really. It evokes suburbia without being cynical about it. Hi Fi Way was my favourite between the two when they first came out, but Hourly Daily has become my favourite over the years.
Probably because it's becoming more relatable as you get older? I'm finding that with a lot of stuff... I can't think of any specifics, but there are a lot of bands I got into well after the fact, and I find myself enjoying their later works as I get older despite not necessarily being the "right age" that I'm supposed to be enjoying them (if you know what I mean).

I was maybe going to get a couple of thousand worth, in case the rate goes back down.
Well I guess it's up to you whether you're OK tying up a stack of money now for a potential saving of (at most) a couple of hundred backs on a couple of thousand dollars.

Personally I just deal with it, but I'm lazy (was buying 75 yen to the dollar when we went last year, it's about 96 yen to the dollar now).

I've heard using Travelex or other cards isn't really a good way to go in Japan because it's mostly a cash based society. But it might be a good idea if I don't want to be carrying around wads of cash... Hmm....
I wouldn't be concerned about carrying around a ton of money in Japan. Between the wife and I, last year, we took out around $3000 in one hit (compatible ATMs are difficult to find, so take out the money when you can, especially when not in big cities -- we didn't see one we could use at all for five days!).

That said, if you're sticking to big cities, most places like hotels, restaurants, big stores take credit cards.

senahorse

I am not so sure that going through with the coalitions plan is better than doing nothing at all, it's a lot of money being spent that will only have to be spent again. As far as I am concerned, "saving the NBN" means keeping in it's current form, the TBN is a starkly different beast.

Shaneus

When you say "new Matt Damon movie" you mean "new Neil Blomkamp movie" right?
That's what I said.

Also, today I realised that until now, I thought his name was "Blogkamp".

PS. As well, I found out today that Blomkamp did the Citroen C4 "transformer" ad in 2004. There ya go.

senahorse

I'm definitely glad that they no longer want to dismantle it, but I really hope the full 100-1000 Mbps NBN goes through still.

25-100 Mbps FTTN and then an expensive upgrade further on down the road is a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't hold your breath, this is pure politics. The NBN was one of the reasons they lost the last election, TA has been staunchly (until very recently) against it. There is a very good chance that after the election they will just go down the route of blaming Labor for discrepancies in the budget and they can't afford to do the NBN (never mind that a lot of it is off budget).

Gazunta

When I used to go see bands like You Am I back in the day I used to laugh at the old guys who turned up and looked like sad old farts trying to relive their youth.

...I'm gonna be one of those guys at the new You Am I gigs aren't I :(

Fredescu

I was obviously talking about a generalised group of "young people," not outliers such as myself.

At the Dinosaur Jr gig I went to recently, I reckon it was about two thirds sad old farts like me and about a third young people. This is a band that doesn't get Triple J airplay anymore, but still the young people came. If they're outliers, there's a lot of them.

At the Dinosaur Jr gig I went to recently, I reckon it was about two thirds sad old farts like me and about a third young people. This is a band that doesn't get Triple J airplay anymore, but still the young people came. If they're outliers, there's a lot of them.
I went to see the Counting Crows last week (meh, I like them) with a few friends. I'm in my mid 30s and shave my head (my choice, not because I'm balding) and I've never felt so young and like I had a veritable mane of flowing locks in my life. Even though they have been around 20 years I didn't think the concert would skew so old.

Young people can't grow beards.
I can't grow beards. Or even a singular beard.

Apparently every service job in the US is needing to be tipped now.
Oh no. No you don't. Not again. No. NO!

I will forgive you for Holying. But you're still a prick. I will not look!

Makes it a little easier to fit in with the hairless apes I guess.
How do two headed, short torso-ed, legless singers go about fitting in? If it's not too rude to inquire, that is.

You Am I tour dates and venues.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s3732717.htm

Tivoli is one of the best Brisbane venues there is.
Thank ye, kind sir!

Dead Man

I was there in March and didn't really notice this.
Talk to teh gaffers that are claiming it, I don't think it is true, but gaffers are making the claim.
That's not really a new thing, is it? I've only been back a couple times in the 5 years since I moved here but I didn't notice any significant difference in who expects tips.
It's a new thing that every service job (except some, like fast food servers) gets an automatic tip, to me at least.
Oh no. No you don't. Not again. No. NO!

I will forgive you for Holying. But you're still a prick. I will not look!

Hey, I tried to save you by Holying! I was looking out for you. I should get a tip or something.

jambo

I would tip everyone in the US just out of paranoia that they would shoot my if I didn't.

Also free shipping on LEGO shit this month! I expect Jambo & Clipper would find this to be awesome news, the postage always seemed insanely expensive.

Hopefully this generation brings us animated box art on shelves.

Free standard delivery offer is valid from 9 April to 31 August 2013 . Qualifying purchase must be equal to or greater than $100 in merchandise only; any applicable taxes, shipping charges or value of gift cards purchased do not apply to merchandise total.

Awesome. If only I had money. I really want to get a Millenium Falcon.

teekun

Tourists can usually get away with by acting (or just generally being) dumb. Have heard stories from friends of them being chased down the street for a tip but I've never experienced that.

I was born and lived there for 27 years and I've never heard of shit like that either, that's crazy. But the way the US economy is nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me to see people being extremely bold when it comes to their livelihoods. America is fucked and nobody is ever paid what they're actually worth, so they've got a bunch of ways around that. It sucks, but it's a way of life, and it's easy enough to just not go there if it turns you off.

It's a new thing that every service job (except some, like fast food servers) gets an automatic tip, to me at least.

Saying "every job" is the type of blanket statement an asshole on the internet uses in an argument, so I wouldn't take that literally. But in general, service jobs are tipped, with plenty of exceptions. I see the thread that sparked this, though, and that's a pretty common practice. I know a couple of people in the field back home and they're tipped more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom