• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I should remind you all that Mr. Turnbull delivered his speech to the press using a Powerpoint and that the Powerpoint Mr. Turnbull used was on a Floppy Disk.

No wonder they want to use Copper, they really are stuck in the past.

That's a joke, right?

I can't even tell any more with these people.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But its not, initial costs yes, but it will need to be replaced quicker as it will only bea 5 year plan not a 50 - 100 year plan.

Plus its not faster either.

You're preaching to the choir here.

Edit: It's rather telling that the Coalition doesn't expect Telstra to request more money for the purchase of its copper than the $11bn Labor has earmarked to merely lease its infrastructure.

Jintor

tumblr_mky3ixZYNw1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Shaneus

I don't know why I venture into other threads on GAF. I really don't. People saying MS is painting a bad light on their next console by not responding to rumours about a feature that may or may not exist is complete fucking rubbish. Just people looking for an excuse to hate on them.

Lol at that face

Edit. Loool i didn't see him running away initially. Gold

I liked your original post Shaneus
Fixed :)

Dead Man

I don't know why I venture into other threads on GAF. I really don't. People saying MS is painting a bad light on their next console by not responding to rumours about a feature that may or may not exist is complete fucking rubbish. Just people looking for an excuse to hate on them.

Fixed :)

Letting rumours run rampant is not really doing them any favours though. Whether you think they are truee or not, once they gain mind share they can hurt a company badly.

Shaneus

Well, it's only a single rumour, and provided that rumour is squashed, how will those bad feelings be justified? That they didn't squash this rumour, this console must be shit, no way will I buy it?

That's the point I'm trying to argue in that thread. I just don't know why people will harbour resentment if always online doesn't exist on the platform. Hell, MS haven't even announced that they're making a new console yet!

Dead Man

Well, it's only a single rumour, and provided that rumour is squashed, how will those bad feelings be justified? That they didn't squash this rumour, this console must be shit, no way will I buy it?

That's the point I'm trying to argue in that thread. I just don't know why people will harbour resentment if always online doesn't exist on the platform. Hell, MS haven't even announced that they're making a new console yet!

Sure, if they squash it. That is the point. They haven't. It may or may not be true. But until MS confirm one way or another, it is not unreasonable to plan for it being true.

If people are saying they will harbour resntment if there is no always online just because of how MS didn't immediatley respond, that is a bit silly.

Shaneus

Sure, if they squash it. That is the point. They haven't. It may or may not be true. But until MS confirm one way or another, it is not unreasonable to plan for it being true.

If people are saying they will harbour resntment if there is no always online just because of how MS didn't immediatley respond, that is a bit silly.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to work out. I'm also kinda trying to work out why it's even being discussed when all discussing it achieves is distorting it to some pointless conclusion.

My guess is, is that the console will probably have to be online when you first buy it at *some stage* within, say, a month of purchasing/using it to register it online. And that's it. May remind you once a week to connect it to the internet (or activate it over the phone with MS support a la Windows) but if there's anything, I guarantee that'll be it.

More I think about it, more I'm sure that's how it's gonna work. I'm pretty sure all versions of Windows over the last 10 years or so have been the same so it'd make sense that type of thinking would cross over into their hardware. If Surface has a similar sort of deal (anyone here confirm?) then I'm 100% sure that's how the Nextbox will work.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The thing is - the always-online bullshit is very much in the vein of something Microsoft would likely do with a future console (and that tweeting incident certainly reinforces that fact), of course it's not something that is exclusively microsoft-ish, but more the result of the direction the industry is going towards.:p

lol uPlay is such a piece of shit. You can hack a local file so uPlay thinks you own ALL the games.

Including Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Which is now up on all the torrent sites. A month before release. Only a week since its existence was revealed

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wut

Check Facebook dude! We live in the Social Age now. This shit spreads like wildfire. All the stupid 14-22 year old people I have on there from previous work are praising the Sony lords right now despite all paying $200 a year for Xbox Live and their COD.

Well, it's only a single rumour

It's not really though if you have been following the xbox leaks.

It's about the 5th separate time always online has popped up from as many sources dating back 4 or 5 months. Mostly the threads moved on from it fairly quickly but in this case you have a reasonbly high up MS employee coming out in defence of what the rumours say and in a dickish way just gave people the ammunition they were looking for.

Shaneus

It's not really though if you have been following the xbox leaks.
I meant, it's only a rumour about one particular feature. Not that there's only one rumour about always online going around.

lol uPlay is such a piece of shit. You can hack a local file so uPlay thinks you own ALL the games.

Including Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Which is now up on all the torrent sites. A month before release. Only a week since its existence was revealed

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Oh LOL. How can they justify having "always online" now when there's now proof that not only does it not work, but it actually allows leaks to become more prevalent through their own incompetence?!?

wut

Check Facebook dude! We live in the Social Age now. This shit spreads like wildfire. All the stupid 14-22 year old people I have on there from previous work are praising the Sony lords right now despite all paying $200 a year for Xbox Live and their COD.
What wut? I'm not talking about the spread of rumours, more questioning how people can still contemplate harbouring resentment should said rumour be proven false.

Haters gon' hate.

Dead Man

It was all over twitter a couple of hours ago, apparently a press gallery guy took the snap. Just follow the retweets I suppose?

Cheers.

It took Capcom six months to realise that people were joking when they said Mega Man should be reimagined by a western developer as a gritty first person shootbang.

http://i.imgur.com/rWQaAay.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MIIxzSp.jpg[img]

Actually I doubt they realised at all and we only dodged this bullet when it got killed out of spite alongside everything else of Inafune's when he left.[/QUOTE]

That is some Bomberman levels of stupid.

Metroid Prime?

I agree, it was shit.

Metroid Prime changed the perspective and slowed the game down a bit. It's not even close to the same situation.

Besides, considering how much shit Nintendo had them throw out before helping them get it right, I don't think "from the leads of Metroid Prime" is necessarily a ringing endorsment of a project, anyway.

Metroid Prime changed the perspective and slowed the game down a bit. It's not even close to the same situation.

Besides, considering how much shit Nintendo had them throw out before helping them get it right, I don't think "from the leads of Metroid Prime" is necessarily a ringing endorsment of a project, anyway.

The project only existed for 6 months, it wasn't like they had spend years working out what it would be, what was shown to Polygon was prototypes to take to Capcom greenlight process.

I wasn't involved in the project so I can't honestly say one way or another if it could have been a good game.

I guess at least we got what, 2 throw back Mega Man games this generation? I guess the DS ones were okay, maybe (not really). It can stay in the history vault where it belongs.

Dead Man

The project only existed for 6 months, it wasn't like they had spend years working out what it would be, what was shown to Polygon was prototypes to take to Capcom greenlight process.

I wasn't involved in the project so I can't honestly say one way or another if it could have been a good game.

I guess at least we got what, 2 throw back Mega Man games this generation? I guess the DS ones were okay, maybe (not really). It can stay in the history vault where it belongs.

A fist person Megaman could be awesome. That art direction is terible and deserves to be mocked.

A fist person Megaman could be awesome. That art direction is terible and deserves to be mocked.

I agree but it was a 6 month prototype. How many games look like the release version after a 6 month pre-production? For greenlight purposes? They just wanted to get the gameplay features playable, like a Cerny demo.

I can't discount the idea based upon that. Same as I didn't scoff at Metroid Prime when it was first announced.

Shaneus

I agree but it was a 6 month prototype. How many games look like the release version after a 6 month pre-production? For greenlight purposes? They just wanted to get the gameplay features playable, like a Cerny demo.

I can't discount the idea based upon that. Same as I didn't scoff at Metroid Prime when it was first announced.
Now, imagine it by Platinum on an upgraded Vanquish engine.

Shaneus

Any You Am I fans? They're playing the entirety of Hi Fi Way and Hourly Daily live in July and August: http://youami.com.au/

Pretty excited.
Okay, that's pretty rad. But I don't know where all those venues are... aren't they mostly Melbourne? They all look familiar.

Fun fact (that I'm sure I've posted in here a billion times): Russell Hopkinson used to be a sometime writer for Hyper a while back. I don't think it was one or two reviews, either... I have a feeling it was maybe one or two per issue for a 12 month period or so.

Re-releases of their older albums is a good thing, too. Can't wait to hear a remastered Purple Sneakers*!

*Favourite track at the local pool hall, thanks to Hottest 100 vol. 3 in the jukebox.

Is there anyone here who knows anything about currency exchange? I'm looking to get some Yen for my trip to Japan in December. I know the exchange rate is very good at the moment... but is it likely to get better? And where is the best place to buy currency in terms of exchange rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom