• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd rather wait an extra 2 years and spend $15 billion more to get 100 megabits minimum rather than 25 megabits.

The best thing is that the sky's the limit with fibre.

I don't always agree with Simon Hackett but he is really spot-on with this presentation about the Liberal's NBN solution.

http://simonhackett.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/commsday-syd-2013-hackett-problem-with-fttn.pdf

The issues his presentation raises are precisely why I believe that the Coalition has no intention of actually going ahead with its half-hearted proposal. Even if the party assumed office, by the time it's actually in the position to forge ahead with the "alternative", an election would be looming, giving Labor the last laugh.

senahorse

The best thing is that the sky's the limit with fibre.

The issues his presentation raises are precisely why I believe that the Coalition has no intention of actually going ahead with its half-hearted proposal. Even if the party assumed office, by the time it's actually in the position to forge ahead with the "alternative", an election would be looming, giving Labor the last laugh.

I will not be surprised at all if the whole thing gets shelved indefinitely under a coalition government, which, is probably for the best. I would rather they do it once, and do it right, rather than waste 30+billion now only to have to upgrade the lot next decade.

JaseC

I will not be surprised at all if the whole thing gets shelved indefinitely under a coalition government, which, is probably for the best. I would rather they do it once, and do it right, rather than waste 30+billion now only to have to upgrade the lot next decade.

"Doing it right" would be following in Google's footsteps and rolling out a point-to-point network, but it's also exponentially more expensive. Under the current NBN approach all NBN Co would need to do to facilitate faster speeds is upgrade the PON hardware in the FDHs -- the fibre itself is more than sufficient for the foreseeable future.

senahorse

"Doing it right" would be following in Google's footsteps and rolling out a point-to-point network, but it's also exponentially more expensive. Under the current NBN approach all NBN Co would need to do to facilitate faster speeds is upgrade the PON hardware in the FDHs -- the fibre itself is more than sufficient for the foreseeable future.

Point to point would be nice, but it would probably add another 10-20billion to the project. GPON is fine for most residential situations (certainly a lot better than our current situation), and 10GPON will be (well if Labor miraculously stay in government) rolled out in the next year or two and then 40GPON isn't far off and so on.

JaseC

Point to point would be nice, but it would probably add another 10-20billion to the project. GPON is fine for most residential situations (certainly a lot better than our current situation), and 10GPON will be (well if Labor miraculously stay in government) rolled out in the next year or two and then 40GPON isn't far off and so on.

On that note, NBN Co included a PON evolution chart in the Corporate Plan:

ponupgradepathjcsbo.jpg

With a reach of 80KM+, future upgrades could very well also aid in expanding the fibre footprint into outer-regional/some rural areas that are currently slated to receive fixed wireless/satellite.

senahorse

Nice chart, interesting to see the future advancements, with PON tech they will eventually offer 1Gb/1Gb, it's so close but yet so far :( stupid politicking.

Shaneus

Best thing about today? Finding that my auto TV downloader thingy misplaced an episode of Archer! Wooo!

Archer's going to the Vatican ^_^

Edit: It's been far longer since I ordered from PA than I realised:
U1JPUve.png

I shall hold you personally responsible. Personally.
Bring it!

Satellite not a great option? I haven't looked into it for years but I recall the NBN being tied up into it.
Price be wicked whack, yo. I did look at it but the set up costs were prohibitive and the monthly quotas were insulting :( Mainly the set up costs, though.

Oooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiit!
Fibre | Construction to commence within one year - we will commence construction in your area from Mar 2013 in phases with last construction scheduled to commence in Jun 2013*.
The last update had us getting nothing but they've stealth updated us!!

Suck on it, Coalition!! Malice vote rescinded!!!

JaseC

Here's another pic I just saw, sure we don't have 1Gbps yet but it's not far off.

BHZYFMACcAAzKyP.jpg:large

NBN Co has stated that 1Gbps services will go live next year (well, assuming no Coalition meddling, anyway), but I'd assume that, given the relatively limited bandwidth provided by GPON, it's in reference to a direct point-to-point connection that businesses can request. Also of note is that NBN Co will be (should be?) restructuring the access price table later in the year, and I'm hoping 12Mb/1Mb on fibre is axed (what's the point when many if not most ISPs don't bother with it?), causing the other tiers to move down a notch in regard to pricing, meaning 250Mb/100Mb replaces 100Mb/40Mb as the "sweet spot".

Bring it!

Price be wicked whack, yo. I did look at it but the set up costs were prohibitive and the monthly quotas were insulting :( Mainly the set up costs, though.

Nice. My area was originally scheduled to go live this November, but thanks to Syntheo slackers, the expected RFS date was pushed back to next February. I took a quick detour through the neighbouring town on the way home yesterday and although I was hardly thorough, I didn't spot any evidence that work had been done recently (e.g. no Telstra/NBN Co barriers outlining pits), so I'm dreading the April RFS report -- assuming there's to be one.

Yeah my parents only got satellite because of the government rebates. They moved a little closer to town and have ADSL2+ now, they live 10+km out of town yet have twice the speeds that I get here!

Also fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff you!

At least Lara is getting fibre within the next few years, will have to make the move soon!

senahorse

nbnpoll_zpsf2e5af60.png:original

No surprises here, except that it was started and closed today, not positive enough for coalition I guess.

Nice. My area was originally scheduled to go live this November, but thanks to Syntheo slackers, the expected RFS date was pushed back to next February. I took a quick detour through the neighbouring town on the way home yesterday and although I was hardly thorough, I didn't spot any evidence that work had been done recently (e.g. no Telstra/NBN Co barriers outlining pits), so I'm dreading the April RFS report -- assuming there's to be one.

I am in a similar situation, my area was started in October, with a December 2013 completion date, but expecting a 3 month delay now, not liking my chances although I am hoping it's far enough along that the coalition honours the contract and lets it complete.

Wait, $38 for 100/40? That seems good!

Also why the hell can't Labor come out and just blast the shit out of Liberal policies like this. Straight up facts they can't debate. Whatever happened to debating skills! Go in there, drop the logic bombs, listen to an attempt at misdirection/straight up lies, retort with logic bombs that make Liberal representative looks like a clownshoe.

Seems so simple!

Shaneus

So, that $38... how much does that get me? That picture you linked to rep... I can see the speeds, but what's the quota?

PS.
gF5Kln3.png

:D

markot

Banned
I dont think the satellites for NBN have launched yet, theyre mean to be pricing it the same as normal internets arent they cause its the 'if you cant get land lines' option?

JaseC

So, that $38... how much does that get me? That picture you linked to rep... I can see the speeds, but what's the quota?

PS.
gF5Kln3.png

:D

They're just access prices, so you'd need to also factor in bandwidth costs and the like. I currently have my eye on iiNet's 100Mb/40Mb 500GB+500GB plan at $99.95 a month. SkyMesh is another ISP that seems to be doing well among fortunate Whirlpoolians, however I'm sceptical of a small, relatively recent start-up being able to purchase enough bandwidth go around once the FSAMs start going live on a regular basis.

nbnpoll_zpsf2e5af60.png:original

No surprises here, except that it was started and closed today, not positive enough for coalition I guess.

I am in a similar situation, my area was started in October, with a December 2013 completion date, but expecting a 3 month delay now, not liking my chances although I am hoping it's far enough along that the coalition honours the contract and lets it complete.

Heh, as if the publics opinion matters to the Coalition now that their victory is all but secured thanks to certain Labor members rather throwing away their seats and power instead of serve under Rudd.

PrI8Y.gif

Deadly Premonition Directors Cut comes out in just over 2 weeks on PS3. Updated graphics, new control system & optional Move controls. Also pre-order bonuses for a game that was barely given shelf space on initial release!

Only $43 at OzGameShop. One of the most unique games you will ever play, should be much more enjoyable with decent controls this time around. No 360 version expected.

JaseC

I dont think the satellites for NBN have launched yet, theyre mean to be pricing it the same as normal internets arent they cause its the 'if you cant get land lines' option?

Yeah, NBN Co's own satellites aren't scheduled to launch until 2015 and the Interim Satellite Service is essentially just a reworking of the Australian Broadband Guarantee from several years ago.

PrI8Y.gif

Deadly Premonition Directors Cut comes out in just over 2 weeks on PS3. Updated graphics, new control system & optional Move controls. Also pre-order bonuses for a game that was barely given shelf space on initial release!

Only $43 at OzGameShop. One of the most unique games you will ever play, should be much more enjoyable with decent controls this time around. No 360 version expected.

Haha, I imported Deadly Premonition along with Fire Walk with Me when I watched Twin Peaks a couple of years ago, and I still haven't played the former nor watched the latter. I should have waited. :p

Shaneus

They're just access prices, so you'd need to also factor in bandwidth costs and the like. I currently have my eye on iiNet's 100Mb/40Mb 500GB+500GB plan at $99.95 a month. SkyMesh is another ISP that seems to be doing well among fortunate Whirlpoolians, however I'm sceptical of a small, relatively recent start-up being able to purchase enough bandwidth go around once the FSAMs start going live on a regular basis.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks (and thanks Fred!). That's almost exactly the same plan I'm on at the moment:

Edit: New Deadly Premonition release? I don't know if there's enough to justify me looking at it, given I bought the 360 one almost a year ago and still haven't touched it. And if the PS3 has improved graphics... isn't part of the kitsch that it had horrible graphics?

Yep, they would be a bigger winner with Liberals though as Telstra would have them over a barrel.

Haha, I imported Deadly Premonition along with Fire Walk with Me when I watched Twin Peaks a couple of years ago, and I still haven't played the former nor watched the latter. I should have waited. :p
Nah this way you get to support Swery twice! Bargain prices both times with quite an impressive list of upgrades. Controls are the big one for me. You can already fix the combat by doing the side missions to get unlimited ammo.

Also now I need to go watch Twin Peaks again. WHY U NO ON BLU RAY YET.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks (and thanks Fred!). That's almost exactly the same plan I'm on at the moment:

Edit: New Deadly Premonition release? I don't know if there's enough to justify me looking at it, given I bought the 360 one almost a year ago and still haven't touched it. And if the PS3 has improved graphics... isn't part of the kitsch that it had horrible graphics?

How does it compare to your current one in terms of speeds?

Also just buy it dude! Do it! The best part of DP is the atmosphere and the writing. I would almost call it an open world emulation of an unwritten series of esoteric masterpieces. Just whacked out as fuck.

senahorse

Same plan I am looking at, Skymesh hasn't bought access to my local area.

edit: double post doh

JaseC

Would I be right in saying that no matter which NBN is implemented the real winner is Telstra?

Telstra receives, in total, $11bn from Labor for leasing the pits and pipes, but it also loses its copper network in 93% of the country (though, granted, the CAN costs Telstra an estimated $600m~$700m a year to "maintain"). Still, I'd wager a significant portion of Telstra landline users only have a landline because it's a requirement for ADSL in areas that aren't serviced by third parties, so an FTTH-based NBN would affect Telstra's bottom line noticeably.

JaseC

Nah this way you get to support Swery twice! Bargain prices both times with quite an impressive list of upgrades. Controls are the big one for me. You can already fix the combat by doing the side missions to get unlimited ammo.

I don't really play console games these days, but "never say never"! I'll probably pick it up on the cheap at some point, if only for the fact it's Twin Peaks: The Video Game: Director's Cut. (Edit: After Steam's Summer Sale would be a good idea.)

Also now I need to go watch Twin Peaks again. WHY U NO ON BLU RAY YET.

I've read that the series was filmed in what essentially amounts to SD so a Blu-ray transfer would be practically pointless. FWWM is on BD, though; it's only available in France, which is precisely what I imported. Pity about the awful cover, but there's no denying that crisp 1080p goodness.

Edit: Forgot to switch tabs. :(

Dead Man

I don't really play console games these days, but "never say never"!

I've read that the series was filmed in what essentially amounts to SD so a Blu-ray transfer would be practically pointless. FWWM is on BD, though; it's only available in France, which is precisely what I imported. Pity about the awful cover, but there's no denying that crisp 1080p goodness.

Edit: Forgot to switch tabs. :(

OMG. I MUST HAVE IT.

Shaneus

How does it compare to your current one in terms of speeds?
That IS my current one (100/30mbps/500+500GB). I was comparing it to the one JaseC mentioned (100/40mbps/500+500GB) at the same price

Also just buy it dude! Do it! The best part of DP is the atmosphere and the writing. I would almost call it an open world emulation of an unwritten series of esoteric masterpieces. Just whacked out as fuck.
No! If the best part is the atmosphere and writing, then I already have it on the 360. With a better controller to play it with than that eternally-despised DS3.

PS. Glad I got in on P4G. About 30 mins after I bought it, it was back up to the RRP.

senahorse

That IS my current one (100/30mbps/500+500GB). I was comparing it to the one JaseC mentioned (100/40mbps/500+500GB) at the same price

Are you already on NBN or are you getting on Telstra Velocity fibre? edit: not velocity, that only has 5Mb upload, curious who you are with with a 30Mb upload speed.

Shaneus

I should remind you all that Mr. Turnbull delivered his speech to the press using a Powerpoint and that the Powerpoint Mr. Turnbull used was on a Floppy Disk.

No wonder they want to use Copper, they really are stuck in the past.
Wait... are you serious? As in, a presentation that was used in the last week could actually fit on a 3.5" disk?

That gives me an idea. I want to make/fuck around with a 3.5" disk, somehow have it so you can slide out a hidden data connector (or even just give it a female port for even stealthier stealth).

Fake edit: Fuck, some other dude already kinda did it. But with two disks. Lame. I bet I could do it with one. Slide open the slidey bit, have it expose a micro-USB port (which should comfortably fit, I'd imagine).

Wait... are you serious? As in, a presentation that was used in the last week could actually fit on a 3.5" disk?

That gives me an idea. I want to make/fuck around with a 3.5" disk, somehow have it so you can slide out a hidden data connector (or even just give it a female port for even stealthier stealth).

Fake edit: Fuck, some other dude already kinda did it. But with two disks. Lame. I bet I could do it with one. Slide open the slidey bit, have it expose a micro-USB port (which should comfortably fit, I'd imagine).

ThinkGeek probably has it for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom