• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

The statute of limitations on spoiling a sporting match is zero. As soon as it's over, it's fair game to discuss and talk about it in a public forum.

Of course you have to be a huge knob to go up to someone who you know is avoiding the score and then spoil it for them. That's different. But posting on a message board? You can do that straight away.

senahorse

I've been using W8 since day 1 and as someone who hates everything, I don't hate W8 at all.

Would it have been a better and maybe even a great OS if they had moved all the metro stuff into the standard desktop? Yea, For sure which is certainly what people seem to get all annoyed by.

Hopefully come W8.1 or W9 metro is an option. Considering how poorly they are doing in phone and tablet areas, it's clear metro isn't a winner or fan favourite.

I really like 8. I think the performance improvements over Win7 instantly make it better. Metro? I rarely ever see it, Start Button? After a couple of days I forgot that it wasn't there anymore. Hard to get to settings? "Windows key + X" or just right click where the Start button used to be. Sure there are some legitimate complaints about the aesthetics and layouts of things but overall I see the OS as an improvement.

NBA seems always have been fucking horrid for spoilers, that is the one sport it happens to me too. I think it is the finals system, creates such tension leading up past every game of the season.

Damn I love me some NBA hypetrain.

Anyway Port Adelaide are playing fanfuckingtastic football right now, just putting in 100% on the field. Good to see it after 4 years of first halves.

Fredescu

The statute of limitations on spoiling a sporting match is zero. As soon as it's over, it's fair game to discuss and talk about it in a public forum.

Yep. Like the golf result. Not sure why that wasn't discussed but a day old football result was.

I really like 8. I think the performance improvements over Win7 instantly make it better. Metro? I rarely ever see it, Start Button? After a couple of days I forgot that it wasn't there anymore. Hard to get to settings? "Windows key + X" or just right click where the Start button used to be.
So many default file associations end up in Metro. I'm sure you'd see it a bunch of times on a new install. With every version of Windows there is always the little set up routine you have to do to get the UI the way you like it, but with Win8 it's a lot worse if you don't want to see Metro."It's easy once you've memorised all the keyboard shortcuts" is basically an admission that the UI is terrible. The weird thing is, you can kind of create a mini Start Button (Desktop shortcut), but it's over on the right. Why not... just make it a Start Button?

jambo

I use keyboard shortcuts all the time already in Windows 7.

Who the fuck actually uses the Start Menu for anything other than search anyway?!

Fredescu

Who the fuck actually uses the Start Menu for anything other than search anyway?!

Anyone that has to explain to a user over the phone how to do something. Also It's generally the quickest way into administrative tools. Recently used apps is handy too. Highlighting of recently installed programs. There's a bunch of handy stuff.

Of course you have to be a huge knob to go up to someone who you know is avoiding the score and then spoil it for them. That's different. But posting on a message board? You can do that straight away.

Definitely this.

Dead Man

Got to agree with Fred here. If you set it up right, it is easy as hell to use to launch your common programs, and lets me keep my screen uncluttered with a minimum of icons.

jambo

When I say search, I mean I launch programs from the Start Menu search field.

I type in a few letters, hit enter and there's my program launched. No need to bother with start menu items or desktop shortcuts.

I also heavily use the taskbar launch shortcuts, Win + # to launch the corresponding pinned shortcuts.

Chrome is Win + 2, foobar2000 is Win + 4, etc

Not quite.

If someone is posting results about a match in a thread not related to that sport it probably still makes you a bit of a dick. People shouldn't have to go into complete seclusion just because other people aren't considerate.

Yep. Like the golf result. Not sure why that wasn't discussed but a day old football result was.
'cause golf?

Also, because if like to watch gold and someone spoils the match, they've basically freed up your whole weekend by not having to watch it and have given you the gift of two free days! It's a festivus miracle!!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
When I say search, I mean I launch programs from the Start Menu search field.

I type in a few letters, hit enter and there's my program launched. No need to bother with start menu items or desktop shortcuts.

I also heavily use the taskbar launch shortcuts, Win + # to launch the corresponding pinned shortcuts.

Chrome is Win + 2, foobar2000 is Win + 4, etc

pinned programs I use a lot on the start bar (paint, snipping) but not use enough that they warrent always being open.
tis also the easiest way to get to the control panel (I've had to pin it to my task bar in win 8 just so i dont have to friggen windows key + type control then select "system" rather than file

oh and shutting down. start menu shut down

windows 8? hover mouse on right of screen. click settings. click turn off. click shut down

markot

Banned
Sometimes I try to hit volume but hit network instead. Intuitively, a great bar comes up and takes up a quarter of the screen.

Metro is cancer.

Not only that, but all the desktop legacy shit on tablets makes them all alwful too...

Windows 8 is bad and Ballmer should have gone years ago.

Fredescu

No need to bother with pesky single mouse clicks when four keystrokes will get me the same thing!

I use the search feature a lot and thankfully it's identical in Win8, but there are more efficient ways than search to access commonly used programs.

If someone is posting results about a match in a thread not related to that sport it probably still makes you a bit of a dick. People shouldn't have to go into complete seclusion just because other people aren't considerate.

Disagree with you here. You really do need to go into seclusion, and most people who want to avoid sports results actually do. There is nothing at all dickish about discussing live sports results. Unless you're discussing it markot style.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think Win8s search feature is actually a lot more fully decked out than W7s. It's very easy to find what you want, even within specific sections of the OS.

It reminds me of OSX in that way. For example you can load up the system preferences panel and just search within it for what you're looking for, it will light up the possible locations for where it could be. Win8 does a similar thing but certainly not as pretty.

Side not from which OS is better than X OS because my penis is the best.

Does anyone know of a website where you could track exercises, moods and so on between yourself and friend(s)? For motivational purposes and all that jazz.

jambo

Mega, your chat bot appears to be broken.

It's returning 0 people in steam chat and no steam chat conversations are coming through.

Not sure about the other way...

If someone is posting results about a match in a thread not related to that sport it probably still makes you a bit of a dick.

This is an Australian discussion thread, so it's not surprising that the results of an Australian Rules Football match would crop up.

People shouldn't have to go into complete seclusion just because other people aren't considerate.

Are you new to the Internet?...

Fredescu

It reminds me of OSX in that way. For example you can load up the system preferences panel and just search within it for what you're looking for, it will light up the possible locations for where it could be. Win8 does a similar thing but certainly not as pretty.

The Win7 search searches within control panel etc too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The Win7 search searches within control panel etc too.

I don't remember it giving the results in a nice clear and concise manor though. Of course I haven't used W7 in a good while and I never really actually used search. It's probably one of the things I very rarely do in windows.

Disagree with you here. You really do need to go into seclusion, and most people who want to avoid sports results actually do. There is nothing at all dickish about discussing live sports results. Unless you're discussing it markot style.
But there are threads specifically for chatting about specific sports, books, movies, etc. Discussing results, plot points or similar that would be considered "spoilers" should probably be contained to those threads. Or, discuss them in other threads but properly use spoiler tags. It just seems like the considerate thing to do.

Are you new to the Internet?...
I'm an internet romanticist. Forgive me my one and only character flaw.

markot

Banned
Windows 8 is awful, face that facts. The facts dont lie.

Also.

I just pre ordered both Fire Emblem with ze art book from EB, and a HTC one!

Whys fire emblem release on saturday >.<? Isnt Thursday the usual day Nintendo launches games on?

Fredescu

It just seems like the considerate thing to do.

It might seem that way, but in practice it works out that the inconsiderate party is the person who is in every thread attempting to dictate when everyone else can discuss a live event. A sporting event is very different to movies or TV, the consumption of those is always staggered. Sport is a real thing that exists in the world and happens in real time and gets discussed as such. You might as well jump into a thread and say "Guys, don't discuss the election results! I've taped it and will watch it next week!". Sports are more analogous to that than a book.

Omikron

But there are threads specifically for chatting about specific sports, books, movies, etc. Discussing results, plot points or similar that would be considered "spoilers" should probably be contained to those threads. Or, discuss them in other threads but properly use spoiler tags. It just seems like the considerate thing to do.

How long after the fact is an acceptable time period?

senahorse

So many default file associations end up in Metro. I'm sure you'd see it a bunch of times on a new install. With every version of Windows there is always the little set up routine you have to do to get the UI the way you like it, but with Win8 it's a lot worse if you don't want to see Metro."It's easy once you've memorised all the keyboard shortcuts" is basically an admission that the UI is terrible. The weird thing is, you can kind of create a mini Start Button (Desktop shortcut), but it's over on the right. Why not... just make it a Start Button?

There is certainly a learning curve, like any new O.S. (some larger than others) and at first glance the U.I. is far from perfect (especially when parts of it stop functioning). But I can get to all of those things without "keyboard shortcuts", admin cmd prompt, control panel, device manager, system etc with a right click and then a left click. I think I found the reason I didn't miss the start button was because I never really used it. Both my gf and I use it (I even upgraded my work PC's to use it) and are both really happy with it (I guess that's all that matters to us) and it's definitely my favourite O.S. between this, OSX and *nix for everyday desktop functions. For my often used programs I pin to the task bar and I hibernate my PC so I don't see Metro as much as some. This isn't an admission of me disliking Metro, more so, that I don't have a need for it. On a tablet it's great. There is no perfect O.S. and I can concede that in some ways Win8 has gone backwards, but for the things that really matter to me it's an improvement (performance, task manager, file copying etc). In the end I guess it all comes down to how you use an O.S. and what you're comfortable with, but nothing so far has made me want to go back to Windows 7.

Fredescu

There is certainly a learning curve, like any new O.S. (some larger than others)
I think the "reconfiguration curve" for a new build is worse than it's been in a long time, after pretty much every prior release making improvements to that.

both really happy with it (I guess that's all that matters to us)
Yeah, for me, working in a small IT company means I sometimes have to do basic desktop support as well. I'm used to Win8 and using it a certain way, but describing actions to people who have never used the Windows key is frustrating. Incidentally, support was a big reason Win XP was so awesome. Windows 2000 was just as good from a usability and stability standpoint, but XP had all the 98SE troubleshooting tools built in. No msconfig in Windows 2000 makes home user troubleshooting difficult!

I'm not experiencing any of the performance benefits you're talking about, a clean install of both OSs onto an SSD feels about the same to me. So it's a few UI improvements for a few UI backwards steps, works out to be a wash for me. I really can't fathom this being anyone's favourite OS.

Fusebox

Banned

Not sure how it works for Aussie sports tbh but if someone spoiled a UFC result for me in a non-UFC thread without the appropriate grace period I'd have to choke them out.

senahorse

I think the "reconfiguration curve" for a new build is worse than it's been in a long time, after pretty much every prior release making improvements to that.

Yeah, for me, working in a small IT company means I sometimes have to do basic desktop support as well. I'm used to Win8 and using it a certain way, but describing actions to people who have never used the Windows key is frustrating. Incidentally, support was a big reason Win XP was so awesome. Windows 2000 was just as good from a usability and stability standpoint, but XP had all the 98SE troubleshooting tools built in. No msconfig in Windows 2000 makes home user troubleshooting difficult!

I'm not experiencing any of the performance benefits you're talking about, a clean install of both OSs onto an SSD feels about the same to me. So it's a few UI improvements for a few UI backwards steps, works out to be a wash for me. I really can't fathom this being anyone's favourite OS.

Certainly loads a lot quicker for me, seems to have a smaller memory footprint too, maybe that's combined with certain SSD/Intel driver features *shrugs*. I sympathise with you having to support it though, I can imagine some of the questions you get looking at some of the muppets around here, "where's the start button?" must get old quickly.

Danoss

Hey AusGaffers, how long do book depository shipments usually take for you guys (to Sydney in particular)?

7-10 days on most occasions. The odd one will go outside that window, but not too often.

Bear in mind that this is from the date they said that they have shipped it. Many items are not kept in stock and are ordered from the publisher when the customer order is placed.

legend166

I'm an internet romanticist. Forgive me my one and only character flaw.

There's been sports talk in all 8 AusGAF threads. We talk about matches as they're happening, and after the fact too.

I honestly think it's a completely unreasonable request.

On Saturday I wasn't able to watch the Swans game live. So I stayed off the internet. I didn't look at Facebook (because the Swans page posts live updates). I didn't listen to the radio. I knew it was up to me to keep myself unspoiled. If I'd come on AusGAF and saw Rezbit say something about the game, I wouldn't have been angry at him.

If there's a match/game I really don't want spoiled ill just avoid using the Internet until I've watched it. Other then that its bound to get spoiled, last time it happened I saw the outcome of a fight on a random twitter feed. Lesson learnt.

I know how you guys feel, I've had the results of the Eurovision Song Contest spoiled for the last three years. Once by the news, once by the RSS news feed on our HTPC, once by Twitter.

Some may say it's already spoiled, with or without knowing the results.

Week and a half or so? Still waiting on the order I put in two Saturdays ago.

7-10 days on most occasions. The odd one will go outside that window, but not too often.

Bear in mind that this is from the date they said that they have shipped it. Many items are not kept in stock and are ordered from the publisher when the customer order is placed.

Still waiting for orders dispatched on 30/3 and 2/4. Sometimes it takes a while.

Cheers guys. I ordered something that was (supposedly) in stock on Friday morning and it still hasn't been dispatched. Hopefully it doesn't take too long (although it's interesting to hear that two of you guys are waiting for orders more than two weeks old).

It might seem that way, but in practice it works out that the inconsiderate party is the person who is in every thread attempting to dictate when everyone else can discuss a live event. A sporting event is very different to movies or TV, the consumption of those is always staggered. Sport is a real thing that exists in the world and happens in real time and gets discussed as such. You might as well jump into a thread and say "Guys, don't discuss the election results! I've taped it and will watch it next week!". Sports are more analogous to that than a book.
First off, my comment to rep was said jokingly, just in case people think I'm being a spoiler nazi, which I'm not. I don't particularly care that much. I just wish people showed a little bit more consideration to others that may not consume media immediately due to other commitments.

Having said that, what's the difference between watching a sporting event on TV and watching TV as it's first being aired? Surely if most people are interested in watching Game of Thrones they should have probably watched it as it was broadcast? I don't see why a weekly event that is filmed live should get special consideration over something that was pre-recorded and shown on television on the same schedule.

Also, most media has quite a similar consumption period than sport; granted, sport does have a far more truncated consumption period. The largest concentration of people watch movies on the first weekend. Most people will usually watch a television program in the same week it was released. Video games get bought close to release, especially in Japan where most of their sales are in the first week.

As it stands, I'm not dictating when or where people discuss things, I'm just saying that not enough people show consideration when rushing to talk about books/movies/sports. It's the reason why forums have dedicated threads so that people can freely discuss matters without affecting those that are not ready to discuss those things.

But, I don't want this to become a huge discussion when I made an offhand, joking response to rep. My apologies if any comment came across as seemingly dictating where people can discuss matters.

Dead Man

Cheers guys. I ordered something that was (supposedly) in stock on Friday morning and it still hasn't been dispatched. Hopefully it doesn't take too long (although it's interesting to hear that two of you guys are waiting for orders more than two weeks old).
And there my books are in today's mail. So yeah, 2-3 weeks from dispatch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
eigo de nan desu ka?

Unlike most areas, instead of taking a little over a year to complete, my area will apparently take a little more than two. Optimistically, the date, as vague as it is, may essentially be a placeholder as NBN Co sifts through the damage caused by Syntheo's uselessness, but it's hard to be sure, and with this seemingly being the second delay (the first was a delay from this November into next February), it's also hard to be positive.

Start -> Computer -> 6-8 network drives at work.

I also use it to get into my documents et al.

Win8 has the task bar down the bottom right? So you can pin commonly used programs to it?

Not sure how it works for Aussie sports tbh but if someone spoiled a UFC result for me in a non-UFC thread without the appropriate grace period I'd have to choke them out.
What is the grace period? I need numbers damn it!

Hey AusGaffers, how long do book depository shipments usually take for you guys (to Sydney in particular)?
2 weeks is usually accurate from dispatch. Dispatch has been slower than usual the last month though.

But, I don't want this to become a huge discussion when I made an offhand, joking response to rep. My apologies if any comment came across as seemingly dictating where people can discuss matters.
No offense taken on my end, thought it was just the usual ribbing you give me!

I started out trying to avoid spoilers but the fact that the golf result was all over the thread and that most other AFL games of note are posted straight away I thought it would be fine, I don't recall an agreement being made in here before the start of the season.

I'm pretty pumped that our boys are showing some fight again, its been a long time!

NBN Co's April RFS report is live (ZIP/PDF).

NBN Co needs to come down on Syntheo like a ton of bricks because this is beyond ridiculous.
I was actually expecting Syntheo to be out of business by now TBH.
Dem government tenders lol
Nothing can go wrong when you accept the lowest bidder!

markot

Banned
4630166-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-15/liberal-party-ad-links-asylum-seekers-to-street-crime/4630088

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom