• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
4630166-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-15/liberal-party-ad-links-asylum-seekers-to-street-crime/4630088

Ah, Liberals going hammer and tongs with the 'lowest common denominator' approach. Get the old people and the rednecks, might be enough to make up the numbers!

Kritz

Banned
I liked this computer build a lot more, five hundred dollars ago.

Sub-total: $1,474.00

Turns out I forgot I also needed an OS, monitor and keyboard.

Any suggestions to the build are appreciated, although making things cost more will be met by a very disappointed Kritz.

Really interesting article on The Age about diplomatic cables released a while back that Wikileaks has setup properly for people to trawl through, makes for great reading of the 73-76 era of Labor.

''Whitlam explained in great detail his and ALP federal secretary David Combe's involvement in efforts to secure funds from Arab sources,'' Hargrove reported to Washington.
''The initial suggestion came from a left-wing leader of the Victorian ALP, Bill Hartley, and Whitlam was aware of it from the beginning.'' Whitlam specifically confirmed he was ''aware of the efforts to secure funds from Iraq''.
He said ALP president Bob Hawke, whom he described as ''a pro-Israeli fanatic'', had ''hit the roof'' when he learnt of the Iraqi fund-raising plan. Whitlam expected to be forced out of the leadership within the week.

The US consulate (somewhat prudishly ) added that ''direct quotations in this report will be difficult as Hawke used short words of emphasis not suitable for [a] family newspaper.''

He later told the US consulate he felt unable to approach the Jewish community for campaign funds because of ''Whitlam's 'unprintable' even-handed 'unprintable' Arab policy''.
lol

Like it says, seems they are very candid to the embassy and it will be AWESOME to read the cables from the last 6 years in the future.

I liked this computer build a lot more, five hundred dollars ago.

Sub-total: $1,474.00

Turns out I forgot I also needed an OS, monitor and keyboard.

Any suggestions to the build are appreciated, although making things cost more will be met by a very disappointed Kritz.

No K processor? Also that graphics card is future proof with 2GB so it is understandably expensive!

What are you looking to run?

Only 120GB storage total?

Kritz

Banned
No K processor? Also that graphics card is future proof with 2GB so it is understandably expensive!

What are you looking to run?

Only 120GB storage total?

Ideally,
1080p @ 60FPS. 2xAA. High - Very High. No particular games. The computer is really just supposed to be a side-grade instead of a full upgrade.

I currently have a 2TB HDD doing shitfuckall in my current PC that I'll move over. My HDD situation is actually way more confusing than it has any right to be since I'm going to be ripping HDDs and data from my current computer and putting them into this new one, and I still haven't done the mental arithmatic for what data needs to go where.

I still haven't sorted data from the last time I reinstalled Windows. My videos are still in a folder called G:\BACKUP\!ToBeMoved\Videos :(

I have zero intention of overclocking my CPU. I may regret this in two years from now, but I may have a job two years from now.

Fredescu

I just wish people showed a little bit more consideration to others that may not consume media immediately due to other commitments.

I agree generally, but sport isn't really "media". It's people running around on a park. If you wanted to be you could be a sports fan without doing it through any form of media.

Having said that, what's the difference between watching a sporting event on TV and watching TV as it's first being aired?

The sporting event on TV is just part of the story. Following a sports team is not contained to an hour long TV show. It's about following a news cycle. The injuries, the change in personnel, the management/coaching styles, the rise and fall of heroes, the statistics, tipping, so on and so forth. This is done not just on the TV on gameday, but on code specific TV shows, the sports segment of the TV news, the sports section of newspapers, magazines, and of course forum posts and the glorious world of web 2.0. Imagining someone fanatical enough to care about being spoiled on a two day old result might seem easy until you consider that they'd be removing themselves from this whole process. If this person missed the game they'd often be more interested in perhaps how the result affects their position on the ladder, or how potential injuries and suspensions might affect future games.

This is why I'd consider a sports broadcast more analogous to the broadcast of election night. It's a real life event happening in real time. It's news. If someone misses election night, it's very unlikely that they'll tape it and watch it a week later. They'll just insert themselves back into the news cycle and consume the most up to date information. As it is for sports.

Also, most media has quite a similar consumption period than sport; granted, sport does have a far more truncated consumption period. The largest concentration of people watch movies on the first weekend. Most people will usually watch a television program in the same week it was released. Video games get bought close to release, especially in Japan where most of their sales are in the first week.
Not really at all. Those forms of media have a much longer consumption tail than your average weekend sports game.

As it stands, I'm not dictating when or where people discuss things
I didn't mean to suggest that you were, I just want you to imagine how someone that was might appear when they were trying to enforce this. When you consider sport as a news cycle rather than media, it would seem silly to request that others don't discuss today's political news because they haven't seen last nights ACA yet. Sillier still to take the moral high ground and suggest that others are inconsiderate for discussing it. To me, that's inconsiderate towards the general discussion of the forum, or the thread, or whatever.

But, I don't want this to become a huge discussion when I made an offhand, joking response to rep. My apologies if any comment came across as seemingly dictating where people can discuss matters.
You didn't come across that way and I find the discussion interesting. Up to you though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was actually expecting Syntheo to be out of business by now TBH.
Dem government tenders lol
Nothing can go wrong when you accept the lowest bidder!

I suspect Syntheo will also lose the WA contract, too: as mentioned over at WP, according to current data, the average FSAM completion time is 20 months, barely over 1,000 brownsfield premises will have an active service by September, and if the Second Release Sites -- which were announced before the previous election -- slip another month, they won't be ready for service by the time the upcoming election takes place. You have to be trying to screw up this badly.

LA BOMBA Bioshock Infinite, $40 delivered for 360 version at The Hut with FPS coupon

Ideally,
1080p @ 60FPS. 2xAA. High - Very High. No particular games. The computer is really just supposed to be a side-grade instead of a full upgrade.

I currently have a 2TB HDD doing shitfuckall in my current PC that I'll move over. My HDD situation is actually way more confusing than it has any right to be since I'm going to be ripping HDDs and data from my current computer and putting them into this new one, and I still haven't done the mental arithmatic for what data needs to go where.

I still haven't sorted data from the last time I reinstalled Windows. My videos are still in a folder called G:\BACKUP\!ToBeMoved\Videos :(

I have zero intention of overclocking my CPU. I may regret this in two years from now, but I may have a job two years from now.

Hmm. Any chance you can use a spare keyboard until there is a sale on fancy ones?

Kritz

Banned
Hmm. Any chance you can use a spare keyboard until there is a sale on fancy ones?

I think I have a shitty $20 flat microsoft keyboard around in the shed somewhere. I don't recall it being broken I think I just disliked it greatly.

Damn you for being sensible. I'll rip out the keyboard from the purchase and save myself some money.

There's nothing immediately wrong with the monitor, is there? Never had an LED monitor before.

Also GOLF GOLF GOLF

Don't forget that Warrnambool lad Marc Leishman was leading the Masters at one point! Ended up equal 4th with world #1 Tiger Woods!

Including Jason Day at 3rd that makes 3 Aussies in the top 4!!!

Sidenote: wut at this
Chinese schoolboy, 14-year-old Tianlang Guan, shot a three over 75 after a one-stroke penalty for slow play on the 17th hole.

End GOLF GOLFBLUM GOLF

I think I have a shitty $20 flat microsoft keyboard around in the shed somewhere. I don't recall it being broken I think I just disliked it greatly.

Damn you for being sensible. I'll rip out the keyboard from the purchase and save myself some money.

There's nothing immediately wrong with the monitor, is there? Never had an LED monitor before.

My last monitor was an ASUS and it was FANTASTIC. Nice big size too. What monitors do you usually use? That seems like a damn good price for a 24 inch monitor.

Are Rosewill any good? Currently $80 posted but has been as cheap as $70 posted not long ago. There is a CM Storm one for $80 too.

Kritz

Banned
My last monitor was an ASUS and it was FANTASTIC. Nice big size too. What monitors do you usually use? That seems like a damn good price for a 24 inch monitor.

currently rocking a 24" and 22" dual screen. Plan is to replace the 22" and use it on my current PC once it moves to my mother's house. So, dual 24"s at my main PC, and a 22" at my mother's, which is still a pretty good monitor for gaming.

See Shaneus! Sometimes these shitty threads educate people that they are using words wrong!

currently rocking a 24" and 22" dual screen. Plan is to replace the 22" and use it on my current PC once it moves to my mother's house. So, dual 24"s at my main PC, and a 22" at my mother's, which is still a pretty good monitor for gaming.

Two monitors? Well look out Mr. Moneybags McGee!

I just saw how long this is. Skip this if you don't want to know about
sports and spoilers

You didn't come across that way and I find the discussion interesting. Up to you though.
Thank you, and that's good to know. I'm a little bit 'off' today as the work week (that started yesterday) has been two long, tough days, and is most likely only going to get worse. I'm a little bit on edge and was finding it difficult to gauge how I was reacting and how others were responding. I'm home now, feeling a bit better and wouldn't mind continuing as I'm also finding this intriguing.

I agree generally, but sport isn't really "media". It's people running around on a park. If you wanted to be you could be a sports fan without doing it through any form of media.
That's true, but you could also follow a sport entirely through media, such as people that follow sports played overseas. If you followed a sport entirely through watching 'at field' events, this discussion would be irrelevant, as nothing could be spoiled.

If you only viewed it through television/cable/webstreams/torrents then sport is no real different than any other form of media consumed piece-meal, even with it's own overarching story and complete seasons.

The sporting event on TV is just part of the story. Following a sports team is not contained to an hour long TV show. It's about following a news cycle. The injuries, the change in personnel, the management/coaching styles, the rise and fall of heroes, the statistics, tipping, so on and so forth. This is done not just on the TV on gameday, but on code specific TV shows, the sports segment of the TV news, the sports section of newspapers, magazines, and of course forum posts and the glorious world of web 2.0. Imagining someone fanatical enough to care about being spoiled on a two day old result might seem easy until you consider that they'd be removing themselves from this whole process. If this person missed the game they'd often be more interested in perhaps how the result affects their position on the ladder, or how potential injuries and suspensions might affect future games.
I can definitely see that someone who 'lived' his team or code would could support this. That's the fanatic, though. There are many different levels that support can take, from the all-encompassing fan that consumes every bit of information but that would also go down throughout the levels to people that watch every game and follow some 'off-field' occurrences all the way down to people that watch just the games. Do these other levels of fans not deserve some form of consideration?

My sisters watch(ed) ALF and sometimes watched the delay-telecast away games of their team. Sometimes they'd watch a game the next day if other personal responsibilities got in the way. It would most definitely been unwanted if someone had spoiled the result of the game.

The other thing that I had consider, is that, unlike some of the other things we've mentioned, a higher percentage of the appeal of a game is the uncertainty of the result. For me, if I had a game of NBA spoiled, I would sometimes watch it, but my level of engagement was significantly reduced. Unlike other media, where I could still become engaged with the mechanics of a game, the prose of a book, of the acting of a film, the drama and tension were all stripped out, where all I could enjoy was the athleticism of the players or the coaching decision but with the hollow feeling that the games result was already set and known. The losing team (especially it is was the one I supported) catching up towards the end wasn't thrilling, the excitement of the crowd was lost on me and the edge of the seat uncertainty was drained of its full impact. Sport, a lot more than (for me, personally) lives and dies by the uncertainty of the result

As to your supposition that sport exists outside of the weekly event, that's true, but not limited to sport. There are people out there that not only watch their nightly soap but then also watch those entertainment shows and buy the soap magazines that deal with the shows. While the connection may not be as strong as the example that you've given, it is a way that television exists outside of the 'main event.' Many of those extraneous programs and magazines are tied into what is happening on those show week-to-week. Like I said, it's not as closely knit as your example, but it's not just limited to sport.

This is why I'd consider a sports broadcast more analogous to the broadcast of election night. It's a real life event happening in real time. It's news. If someone misses election night, it's very unlikely that they'll tape it and watch it a week later. They'll just insert themselves back into the news cycle and consume the most up to date information. As it is for sports.
I think it's dependant upon the person, really. First off, I think there is a little bit of difference between week-to-week competition and a once-in-a-few-years election. A closer example would be between an election and (forgive me, sport is not my strong point, I struggled to readily come up with an example) a Bathurst 1000. The chances are, a person that is into politics would clear their schedule of all things, barring emergencies or factors out of their control for either of those things. It's a little different clearing your schedule once a year than for half a year or more of weekly league competition. However, if an emergency or last minute responsibility came up I feel that they would try to tape it and watch it later. It may not be a week later, but 1, 2 possibly 3 days? I think that's within the realm of possibility, especially if the person knows that they can stay away from the results.

There's probably also something in the fact that due to the permeation of an election result into most facets of our life that makes the result of the election the important part of the equation, not the drama in the see-saw of the score. I recognise that there are some people that would find that thrilling, but I'm also certain that the final results per electorate as pure stats, whether real-time or post result, would also be enough to satisfy them.

I think the frequency of the cycle - combined with someone's ability to isolate themselves from sources of results - is what dictates the decision of someone to insert themselves back into the most recent news cycle more than anything. A change of government is hard to miss; front page news, it dominates the television news, it's going to be on any news website, twitter, etc. Sporting results is a little easier to avoid, especially if it's not a grand final. Having said all that, to support your argument, I think the NBA frequency of games lends itself to moving to the most recent game; a game every 2 or 3 days can be hard to catch up on if you fall behind. Many times my friend has had to miss a few games due to this gruelling schedule.

To sum up, though, I think it's always going to come down to a few factors: your time to catch up, your ability to stay away from sources of results, how 'into it' you are and the frequency at which the games are played.

Not really at all. Those forms of media have a much longer consumption tail than your average weekend sports game.
Not always. Let's take Japan, for example then. Usually, a game is expected to have about a 70% or more sell-through rate in their first week of shipping, with a precipitous decline after that. This is to an extent that games that are not sold within the first month usually get heavily discounted due to lack of interest and a high used game sellback to stores. Some popular games will have much longer tails but for many games, their first week in the sales charts will be their last and only. As this consumption rate more closely reflects a weekly sporting event, should this mean that game spoilers in Japan would be given the same conditions as sport?

I didn't mean to suggest that you were, I just want you to imagine how someone that was might appear when they were trying to enforce this. When you consider sport as a news cycle rather than media, it would seem silly to request that others don't discuss today's political news because they haven't seen last nights ACA yet. Sillier still to take the moral high ground and suggest that others are inconsiderate for discussing it. To me, that's inconsiderate towards the general discussion of the forum, or the thread, or whatever.
I think your example of politics is a slightly different beast than sport, books, movies et al. Sport is an event in which the excitement is the uncertainty of who will win (or the more usual 'draw' state found in soccer :p ) . A book or a movie is a something in which the destination as well as the journey is the enjoyment and purpose. These are all consumables that are known ahead of time; you watch the game to get the result, you read the book to enjoy the narrative. 'News' is an unknown quantity. Maybe if someone really wanted to see Question Time because of a particular bill or discussion topic, I could actually see that being a possibility. For anything else, though, it would be someone complaining about an unknown and uncertain myriad possibilities that life throws at us every day at being spoiled.

I agree with your thought about people dictating when and where you may discuss the world, even if I can't quite see eye-to-eye on sport being a news cycle. I think that's a personal opinion that everyone sets for themselves, regardless of the media. You've made me look at election results and the ease with which we share that information without the thought of others; while that may be because it's not something that most people would consider spoil-able, it has highlighted to me that our own personal bias is a huge governance on what we think is acceptable to talk freely about in which time-frame.

Outside of whether sport is a spoil-able or not, the internet sometime could do with not assuming that everyone operates to the same schedule that they do. You don't always have to describe the twist ending, you don't need to always name the character that does or talk about that thing that happened was more awesome because you didn't expect it. Sometimes a little bit of self-moderation and consideration for other can go a long way. I also enjoy not discussing certain things until someone has seen or played something; it's far more enjoyable to talk about reactions and feelings when they've gone in unaware as opposed to asking someone "did you enjoy that bit I told you about?"

As for what is an acceptable time period for anything? That's the hard part, isn't it? It's easy to say it's because of the cycle, or the age of the thing, or the impact/size/scope of the spoilery bits. At the end of the day, it comes down to person opinion and unfortunately we haven't seemed to reach consensus personal opinions yet :) Maybe one day.

Wow, that's fucking long. Sorry, folks. Thanks, Fred.

Dead Man

Nice work: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-15/parents-concerned-for-teens-held-in-wa-prison/4630604

The male teens were moved to Hakea Prison after a riot in January severely damaged Western Australia's only juvenile detention centre at Banksia Hill.

Only one teenager has been charged over the riot.

The youths have reported being locked in their prison cells for up to 24 hours a day, having only a few hours each week of school and no counselling.

Social worker Lee-ann Smith says she's been told that some teens who are suicidal have been put into isolation and not received counselling.

"I've had four calls in four weeks from lawyers saying, 'Can you visit because the kids are the most depressed we've ever seen them, we have a young man that self harmed last week that doesn't have a history of self-harming. He's a 15-year-old, he's been suicidal... and he was put into a cell in isolation to be observed with no counselling'," she said.

"If you think that is going to heal and rehabilitate... It's a very sad state of affairs what is happening with those young people."

:/

Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a Belieber
The immortal words of Justin Bieber, written in the Anne Frank Museum guestbook

LOL

His 14-year-old client has spent more than 100 days in the prison after being convicted of stealing cars.

On average, 168 are detained each night - the second highest detainment rate per capita after the Northern Territory.

More than half the detainees are Indigenous.

These statistics probably require some attention sooner rather than later WA/NT governments. Otherwise those justice/health system costs will still be high you numbsculls.

:/

i c wht u did thar

I bet Shaneus doesn't. He doesn't pick up on these awesome things.

It's funny you guys were getting upset that people were discussing games rather than only posting news, on a discussion board.
I was just saying I'd like 'news' and 'discussion' threads segregated to different forums. Obviously 'news' posts would still have discussion.

Really just lamenting the number of pointless shitty threads one must wade through to find content of interest in Gaming. The noise to signal ratio is making it such that in beginning to just look elsewhere more frequently.

Not sure if there's more recently or they're just bugging me more.

Omikron

Tonights board gaming brought to you by Elder Sign, it could be classed as yahtzee with Cthulhu theming, but its kinda fun and the quality of production (Fantasy Flight) and theme brings it up a notch. And being co-op, you can play it solo :)

I was just saying I'd like 'news' and 'discussion' threads segregated to different forums. Obviously 'news' posts would still have discussion.

Really just lamenting the number of pointless shitty threads one must wade through to find content of interest in Gaming. The noise to signal ratio is making it such that in beginning to just look elsewhere more frequently.

Not sure if there's more recently or they're just bugging me more.

Hasn't changed much tbh. Not much news going around. If you check the front page 3-4 times a day you will pick up anything on note.

Easiest would be to follow the new threads Twitter account.

Tonights board gaming brought to you by Elder Sign, it could be classed as yahtzee with Cthulhu theming, but its kinda fun and the quality of production (Fantasy Flight) and theme brings it up a notch. And being co-op, you can play it solo :)

I've never played Yahtzee so the comparison was lost on me when the owner of the game made it during the event.

Kritz

Banned

I guess those blue tokens' symbols are a common Cthulu image? The same kind of tokens are in Arkham Horror

(lower right hand corner, although the icon is actually on the flip side of those tokens)

Image taken at board game thing on Saturday.

I've never played Yahtzee so the comparison was lost on me when the owner of the game made it during the event.

Pretty sure I'm guilty of saying, "It's like Yahtzee but..." for at least one of my games. And I've also never played Yahtzee.

Omikron

Yahtzee is just set collection with dice as the randomiser. Roll once, keep what you want, roll again, tick off score on sheet. That's it really.

Slightly unfair to label elder sign as such, but mechanically it is sort of similar.

I guess those blue tokens' symbols are a common Cthulu image? The same kind of tokens are in Arkham Horror

(lower right hand corner, although the icon is actually on the flip side of those tokens)

Image taken at board game thing on Saturday.

Pretty sure I'm guilty of saying, "It's like Yahtzee but..." for at least one of my games. And I've also never played Yahtzee.

Arkham Horror and Elder Sign are both Fantasy Flight games. That's why those and Mansions of Madness have the same tokens and characters.

I'm waiting for this to arrive from Games Paradise. I've played it once before and am excited to give it more of a go. It was quite fun.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
If not being spoiled about a sporting event means that much to you, take the innitiative and get off the internet. And turn off your phone. Because shits going to be all over facebook, and heck you'll likely get sms's from people.

Its not our fault you can't watch something when its live.

Kritz

Banned
You can feel free to spoiler tag your board game results if anyone gives a shit about them being spoiled.

OTs for games use spoiler tags at all times, unless it's a designated spoil thread.
OTs for shows use spoiler tags until the show has been aired on the eastern most timezone in the area it is airing, unless it's a designated spoiler thread.

AusGAF is not a show OT. You spoiler tag game of thrones even after the show has aired here. AusGAF is not a game OT. You spoiler tag bioshock infinite's ending even after most of us have played it.

And sports people tend to be just as crazy as all the others.

Dem's the standards.

Someone make a clever AusGAF title for the next thread about us being spoiled cunts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom