• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it exists, quests are terrible.

Reminds me of that achievements argument we had in here.
Because it exists, someone like me has the desire to keep playing. Backtracking is not compelling content unless you've collected some ability that drastically changes the way you play the game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea that's cool. Then stick with the K.

I've been playing a little bit of NFS the run and I have to say ... I kinda like it but fuck it was poorly executed. I really do wish it was just cannonball run. No interruptions of dumb fuckery leveling up bullshit and was just a pure race from A to B. Something like the old GT long ass 10 hour races but this would have only gone for 4 or 5.

10 cars to pick from, Some good balance between them all. If you fuck up your car during the stage then you're potentially out and unless it could have been repaired and so on. Just a pure god damn race would have been amazing.

Some of the "Tracks" are actually enjoyable to race across, good scenery but most of the ideas and 2 minutes of racing then 2 minutes of leveling up and loading just kills it.

It should have been cannonball run on psn/xbla/pc $15 with leaderboards and online MP for a full session.

I now want that game.

Dead Man

Goddamn channel 7 cunts! Fucking football game on 3 channels, V8's relegated to a one hour highlight show at midnight! Fucking pricks! Fuck!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
God, sometimes I wish there were separate "gaming discussion" and "gaming news" forums. So much shit to wade through.

Strangely enough I visit the front page of gaming on gaf and never go any further. These days i'm also including /r/games as another news source. Since it doesn't move as fast or is filled with random "will the ps4 do yearly upgrade" idiotic threads.

hamchan

God, sometimes I wish there were separate "gaming discussion" and "gaming news" forums. So much shit to wade through.

I wish that too. Just looking at the front page there are so many useless threads to me. I especially dislike speculation threads, recommendation threads, and threads that are questions that can be easily answered in the first post.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I like speculation threads but they have to be good speculation. Not dumb shit like is the PS4 upgradable every year. The fuck is that son.

/r/games isn't too bad. Sometimes it's really good and it's rarely shit, but it does happen.

Shaneus

I wish that too. Just looking at the front page there are so many useless threads to me. I especially dislike speculation threads, recommendation threads, and threads that are questions that can be easily answered in the first post.
And most of the threads are completely pointless... like "who is the most adorable character this generation?". Some discussions are fine, but others like that, there's literally no value to come out of that because the opinions are never based on facts or theory. Just a complete waste of space.

Example: "In your opinion, most beautiful WoW location...show pics". Who cares? It accomplishes nothing, there's nothing valuable anyone can take from that thread (given everyone in there would've played the game and seen said locations), it's all opinions and at the end of the thread, what could the OP possibly have learned or contributed? Hell, OP didn't even post one themselves. Ugh.

Jintor

But on the other hand space on the internet is vast and limitless so who cares if you fill it with more junk data

I really don't get anything out of the speculation threads at all though. And ever since I stopped measuring my life relative to performance of devs or companies life has only gotten better

Shaneus

Who is your least favourite supporting character this generation?
Is that least favourite as in, out of all my favourites, which one is at the bottom? Or out of all the supporting characters I hate, which one is at the top?

And what's it to you?

hamchan

And most of the threads are completely pointless... like "who is the most adorable character this generation?". Some discussions are fine, but others like that, there's literally no value to come out of that because the opinions are never based on facts or theory. Just a complete waste of space.

Example: "In your opinion, most beautiful WoW location...show pics". Who cares? It accomplishes nothing, there's nothing valuable anyone can take from that thread (given everyone in there would've played the game and seen said locations), it's all opinions and at the end of the thread, what could the OP possibly have learned or contributed? Hell, OP didn't even post one themselves. Ugh.

Who is your least favourite supporting character this generation?

Yep, yep, all these shitty threads. I wonder if the people posting in those threads even read the other people's opinions or they just post their own and then leave.

trinest

Lolno? XP and 7 are awesome and Vista and 8 are dogshit. How hard is that to interpret.

Good, bad, good, bad. Microsoft are about as consistent as the Canberra Raiders.

Haahaa.

Every release has had issues at launch.

People just pick and choose what they want to hate about them.

XP was much worse then Vista at launch, and like Vista improved.

Fredescu

lol

I bet you hated XP/Vista/7 too and can't remember why.

I really don't see what's so bad about it tbh. It's not what it should've been but it's not terrible.

Nah, it's terrible.

Vista was fine once you gave it enough RAM and turned off UAC. As 64bit driver support improved, Vista 64 was miles ahead of XP.

Windows 8 shoehorns bullshit tablet interface shit into a desktop with no simple way to turn the shit off. How about a "I'm not a touchscreen using degenerate, turn all that shit off" option? No, instead you have to get third party programs, use reg hacks, or group policy.

There's a reason they fired the Windows 8 product manager soon after launch.

Shaneus

Yep, yep, all these shitty threads. I wonder if the people posting in those threads even read the other people's opinions or they just post their own and then leave.
Well, in the example I posted, the OP didn't post anything in their first post.

I wonder if there's some way to code a script so it looks for certain keywords in thread titles ("favourite/favorite") and just hides them from the main page view. Couldn't be too hard to do, could it? Maybe have some way of adding keywords so i can ignore (for example) all the 3DS threads, Nintendo threads or whatever. Or posters names.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've been using W8 since day 1 and as someone who hates everything, I don't hate W8 at all.

Would it have been a better and maybe even a great OS if they had moved all the metro stuff into the standard desktop? Yea, For sure which is certainly what people seem to get all annoyed by.

Hopefully come W8.1 or W9 metro is an option. Considering how poorly they are doing in phone and tablet areas, it's clear metro isn't a winner or fan favourite.

Omni

I love W8. Especially the metro interface... and I'm just using a regular laptop. I like the fact that my actual desktop is incredibly clean now and everything that I want is hidden but is also just a click away. In hindsight it's probably not the best considering that I paid $5 just so I could get custom colours, tiles and wallpapers on the metro interface itself, but going back to W7 feels empty - Like I'm missing something.

Upgrade to W8 Pro from W7 only cost me $10, so I'm not complaining

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I love W8. Especially the metro interface... and I'm just using a regular laptop. I like the fact that my actual desktop is incredibly clean now and everything that I want is hidden but is also just a click away. In hindsight it's probably not the best considering that I paid $5 just so I could get custom colours, tiles and wallpapers on the metro interface itself, but going back to W7 feels empty - Like I'm missing something.

Upgrade to W8 Pro from W7 only cost me $10, so I'm not complaining

metro annoys me a bit, ut im getting used to it. There is big wins though especially in systems diagnostics, task manager is a powerful tool now.

markot

Banned
A: I am using HDMI for my wii u, its got weirdly bad colours and crap, like super blocky... when I play wii games only.

B: Why did they call the new game far cry 3 at all?

C: Imma gonna get a HTC one cause im totally over samsung!

Omikron

A: I am using HDMI for my wii u, its got weirdly bad colours and crap, like super blocky... when I play wii games only.

B: Why did they call the new game far cry 3 at all?

C: Imma gonna get a HTC one cause im totally over samsung!

:>

Playing through Bioshock again on 1999 mode...

fucking lady comstock, in particular the first version.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus, Play NFS the run already!

Ham and I have a thing going on and you're the only other person on my friends list with it :D

Fredescu

Would it have been a better and maybe even a great OS if they had moved all the metro stuff into the standard desktop? Yea, For sure which is certainly what people seem to get all annoyed by.

It's not the only thing to get annoyed by. I wouldn't mind if Metro was one big full screen start menu, but why would I also want to run applications inside my start menu? Full screen only applications even. After 30 years of UI evolution enabling multiple applications on the screen at same time, I shouldn't need to point out what a huge backward step that is.

And if Metro is like a start menu, why can't I get to it from the desktop from a visible UI element? Why should any UI elements be hidden? Resolutions are only getting bigger. Why does "settings" need to be so hidden away? Why does it have to be in full screen when I do find it? Charms menu, wth? Gesture controls to access major functions? Pretty sure the Wii taught us that this is bad. Forced gesture controls on laptop touchpads that can't be turned off (except via reg hack)? It's a mouse, not a goddamn touchscreen. Lock screen on a desktop? I could go on.

The task manager is definitely an improvement though, and don't tell Kritz, but I like the ribbon buttons in explorer. There are a bunch of other really good improvements too. If SP1 included a suite of mouse and desktop focused settings that you could turn on in one hit if you didn't have a touchscreen, I think it could be a good OS.

Dead Man

Any ausgafers in the navy? I leave for training in a month and am Half nervous half excited

Only experience I have is a friend who joined up in the 90's, he works on oil rigs now, works 6 moths a year, makes 150k. Bastard :)

Good luck, you'll do fine, training can't be worse than army training, and if I can make it through that, anyone can.

Hey guys, I heard about this cool new board game called risk, anyone played?

Doesn't sound safe...

Lord of the Risks Rings

The problem with Risk is that it drags on for too long if the players are competent. Alliances dissolve the second one player looks like they're becoming too powerful, then the enemies can build up for a counter attack while the others are infighting. The cycle continues for fucking ever. Myself and two others agreed to surrender after 3.5 hours because we couldn't be bothered playing any more.

Monthly email from the Japan consulate contained the following message:

Cosplayers Wanted! Supanova Cosplay Parade
Do you ever watch the Big Bang Theory, and think, “I really can relate to this…!”? Join the fun and register now to be a part of the Supanova Cosplay (Costume-play) Parade at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast!

I think I need to go shower. I feel horribly dirty.

The problem with Risk is that it drags on for too long if the players are competent. Alliances dissolve the second one player looks like they're becoming too powerful, then the enemies can build up for a counter attack while the others are infighting. The cycle continues for fucking ever. Myself and two others agreed to surrender after 3.5 hours because we couldn't be bothered playing any more.

Alliances are the worst thing ever, especially when you honour them and the other person doesn't. I spent most of schoolies playing Risk and poker, so we had plenty of time to finish games (but some versions have objectives so it takes less time?). Many a friendship was tested that week.

Omikron

Elimination games in general aren't that fun. Especially with no other means of determining a winner. Game of Thrones board game might have been a better option.

Alliances are the worst thing ever, especially when you honour them and the other person doesn't. I spent most of schoolies playing Risk and poker, so we had plenty of time to finish games (but some versions have objectives so it takes less time?). Many a friendship was tested that week.

Elimination games in general aren't that fun. Especially with no other means of determining a winner. Game of Thrones board game might have been a better option.

It wasn't even elimination, LOTR Risk has a special rule for moving the Ring along the map, and when it gets to Mordor the game ends and scores are tallied. But it would have been another 45-60 minutes before it reached there -_-

In actual 2v2 games there are Good vs Evil rules where the Evil players have to search for the ring by controlling the territories it is passing through and rolling to search for it. But we were in an FFA match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom