• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

The English language is being butchered before my very eyes. I wonder if there are other eras/generations where this has happened, or if it's just recently because of the intermingling of cultures, dialects and region-specific definitions that caused it.
I think there's a good deal of laziness that's causing it too. I find it staggering how often people use the word 'loose' when they mean 'lose'...

The language has certainly always been evolving. Just look at prose from various eras to confirm. However, it does certainly seem to be a downward trend as of late...

One of the coolest things in Sleepy Dogs is that you can leave a vehicle somewhere and then go back past 15 minutes later and be like, "Oh yeah, I forgot I left that there! lol".

Welcome change from other open world games.

Shaneus

One of the coolest things in Sleepy Dogs is that you can leave a vehicle somewhere and then go back past 15 minutes later and be like, "Oh yeah, I forgot I left that there! lol".

Welcome change from other open world games.
BUTCHERING OF GAME NAMES SHITS ME TOO

(Not really, I honestly think Sleepy Dogs is the best play on that game's name I've ever heard)

AusGAF, can you check and see if you can get to https://mega.co.nz for me? I can't get to it on mine, could be a DNS thing but might not be. Waiting for independent (read: you guys) verification.

Dead Man

Abbott vows to scrap Gonski reforms
The Coalition would scrap the Gonksi education reforms if it were elected to government, with Opposition Leader Tony Abbott saying he did not believe there was a problem with the way schools were funded.

Mr Abbott said the changes were too expensive in the current budget context and that many things could be done to improve education without spending "vast dollops of new money".

Is there a single policy statement that he has made that is not about scrapping something, hating a group of people, or generally being a negative whiny bitch?

AusGAF, you're welcome.

(hint: Instrumental fan edit of Get Lucky. Markedly better than the original radio edit)

Much better.

Shaneus

Much better.
That's what I thought. I've also tried something else as well, and re-eq'd the track to pull back the vocal and bring out the instruments a bit more. I think I've managed to do just enough so it doesn't really affect anything *except* for dat lead vocal. It's subtle, but I think it makes a big difference.

Sample here

Fusebox

Banned
I just use Unblock-us. Saves the hassle, plus I can use things like BBC streaming, Netflix (not that I have it) and other stuff that normally requires VPN.

On that note, does anyone here use Netflix at all? Do you need to have a legit US billing address, or can it be faked?

Fake address, any Aussie CC card should work.

Hulu+ is the hardcore one. I even got a 12 month Hulu+ gift card and it still wouldn't let me register an account without an American credit card so I gave the 12 month gift card to a GAFfer and I share his account.

Shaneus

Netflix is still pretty good though, yeah? Is everything (where available) in 1080p?

Any idea what the sizes of movies are like? ~10gb or so?

How much?

(I know I can probably look most of this stuff up, but sometimes it's just easier to ask :) )

Rahk

They also had Tales of Innocence R for $15, but figured I haven't even played much of Persona 4 yet so would be a while before I get to it. Should have bought it anyway!

http://fullofbooks.com.au

They had a manga reading area called the 'FOB corner'. I thought that was funny.

The language has certainly always been evolving. Just look at prose from various eras to confirm. However, it does certainly seem to be a downward trend as of late...
I recall Rezbit and I had a conversation about this the one time we met. ;)

Like you, I hate the butchering, but I've decided to try and come to terms with it and let it go, if I can understand the point being made and in the big scheme of things, the point of language is to get your point across, not to be beholden to arbitrary rules. I do like a good turn of phrase, though.

I'm not quite there yet, but having fewer aneurysms when I see awful grammar.

A-League grand final in 2 hours, should be good.
Argh crap... Was it on FTA? Guess I missed it...

Also, the employee spoke to me in Japanese, which was interesting because that never happens.

Ooh awesome. It really is uncommon for that to happen.

There's also Burning Books in Footscray, Melbourne. They never seem to be open but the owner lives there so if you ring the bell sometimes she comes down to let you into the shop.

now i gotta learn japanese to take advantage of this deal

Do it. Do it anyway :p

I've spent the last three days lying on a mattress in my study.

In that time, I've re-read half of A Storm of Swords, watched two episodes of James Hogarthy's Europe from its Origins, beaten Liberation Maiden, unlocked Rydia in Theatrythm Final Fantasy and started a 100% run on Yoshi's Island.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to hold my son or help with anything. I'm going out of my mind with boredom! Colds/flus suck :(

Fusebox

Banned
That sounds awful squirrel, hope you get better soon man.

Netflix is still pretty good though, yeah? Is everything (where available) in 1080p?

Any idea what the sizes of movies are like? ~10gb or so?

How much?

(I know I can probably look most of this stuff up, but sometimes it's just easier to ask :) )

I don't think everything is 1080p, tbh I don't know what res most stuff is. If you press select button it says low, med or high res and some go to very high I think. Most movies start of low for couple of mins while they buffer but then ramp up the quality shortly after.

Dunno how much data it uses for an average movie, I use TPG unlimited like all the other cool people so I don't think about things like that anymore.

And yeah for $7 a month it's totally worth it imo. It's awesome for when you don't have anything to watch but feel like watching something if that makes any sense.

I've spent the last three days lying on a mattress in my study.

In that time, I've re-read half of A Storm of Swords, watched two episodes of James Hogarthy's Europe from its Origins, beaten Liberation Maiden, unlocked Rydia in Theatrythm Final Fantasy and started a 100% run on Yoshi's Island.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to hold my son or help with anything. I'm going out of my mind with boredom! Colds/flus suck :(

That sucks man hope you get well as soon as possible

:(

I'm still not over my viral thing, I better make a doctors appointment to make sure I don't have an issue with my bowel or something. It's been over a week since it has all gone haywire. Hasn't gotten me out of my household duties though so at least I can cuddle the little guy.

legend166

This is all you need to know about Netflix:

It's approximately $7.80 a month. Any qualms about not getting 1080p or a lack of new release films/current TV seasons need to be filtered through the fact that for what most video stores will charge you for a new release rental, you get unlimited access to a ridiculous amount of quality content.

Shaneus

Dunno how much data it uses for an average movie, I use TPG unlimited like all the other cool people so I don't think about things like that anymore.
Ah, you bastard. I'll just have to settle for my 1TB at 100mb/s cable connection :(

And yeah for $7 a month it's totally worth it imo. It's awesome for when you don't have anything to watch but feel like watching something if that makes any sense.
I reckon I might. If there's an option to suspend and resume (even if it's on a month to month basis) I might at least set up an account. I mean, has to be worth it at least for Arrested Development. And off-season when there's nothing good on regular TV.

Decent back catalogue, I take it? Could I, say, watch old episodes of The Simpsons on it? And do you know if it's possible to get it going on mobile devices? That'd be awesome at work or in bed (where I do a LOT of work if you're reading this, laydeez).

And $7? Wow, I had no idea it was that cheap.

PS. I know this is graffiti on a photo in some diner in the US, but I found it on imgur and had to share:
EvrNugZ.jpg

PPS. Everyone needs to download and play the Kerbal Space Program demo. It's so rad.

legend166

No Simpsons sadly. That's not on any streaming service. It's got Futurama though. And King of the Hill!

Best thing to do is go here: http://www.moreflicks.com/

Just untick all the other services and you can search Netflix only. That site searches all Netflix regions too, which is handy. There's different content for different regions, and unblock-us lets you choose which region you want to watch.

For example, Stargate SG1 isn't on standard US Netflix. But it's on Netflix Sweden! Takes 20 seconds to swap over to Netflix Sweden and away I go.

Fusebox

Banned
Oh wow, Netflix accounts are universal?

Yep! As the legend said, if you get bored with the US library just try the Canadian or UK Netflix libraries instead.

You can account share too, I have a mate in Melbourne who uses my Netflix account all the time and often at the same time as I'm using it. Never had a prob.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/04/21/15/02/us-academic-gang-raped-in-png

Check out that second paragraph:

In the latest case, the white academic told AFP that she was attacked on Friday while conducting research on birds and the impact of climate change in a remote forest on Karkar Island in Madang province.

They then stripped her, bound her hands, cut off her blonde hair to the scalp and gang-raped her for about 20 minutes before something in the forest startled them and they ran away.

Ohoho wow. Why don't they just put it in bold caps "THEY RAPED A WHITE WESTERN GIRL" and save a lot of time.

Yep! As the legend said, if you get bored with the US library just try the Canadian or UK Netflix libraries instead.

You can account share too, I have a mate in Melbourne who uses my Netflix account all the time and often at the same time as I'm using it. Never had a prob.

$7.80/month is dirt cheap. How much is the subscription to unblock-us service? I have access to a legit Canadian address and credit card. Are there any free services, like SecurityKISS? I used that to access US play store, Google music and other sites that check ip.

Shaneus

$7.80/month is dirt cheap. How much is the subscription to unblock-us service? I have access to a legit Canadian address and credit card. Are there any free services, like SecurityKISS? I used that to access US play store, Google music and other sites that check ip.
Unblock-US is $5 a month, there may be cheaper ways around it though. I know there's another DNS-faker-region-thingy provider for a slightly cheaper price (talking a buck here) but can't recall the name.

Still, $13 to have access to a fuckload of movies (forgot to ask, Fusebox... DTS where available?) and not needing a place to store them is a great idea. Seriously considering it, providing there's not YouTube-like lag getting it from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom