• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unblock-US is $5 a month, there may be cheaper ways around it though. I know there's another DNS-faker-region-thingy provider for a slightly cheaper price (talking a buck here) but can't recall the name.

Still, $13 to have access to a fuckload of movies

Yeah, I'll happily pay 13 bucks a month for it. Looking through the unblock site, I'll be able to stream directly from my tv so that will be awesome!

Fogz

No Simpsons sadly. That's not on any streaming service. It's got Futurama though. And King of the Hill!

Best thing to do is go here: http://www.moreflicks.com/

Just untick all the other services and you can search Netflix only. That site searches all Netflix regions too, which is handy. There's different content for different regions, and unblock-us lets you choose which region you want to watch.

For example, Stargate SG1 isn't on standard US Netflix. But it's on Netflix Sweden! Takes 20 seconds to swap over to Netflix Sweden and away I go.

Cheers for the tip Legend.

Space Jam is on Swedish Netflix!

Fusebox

Banned
Still, $13 to have access to a fuckload of movies (forgot to ask, Fusebox... DTS where available?) and not needing a place to store them is a great idea. Seriously considering it, providing there's not YouTube-like lag getting it from the US.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen the DTS flag on my amp light up when using Netflix.

In other news I'm 99% certain I'm getting made redundant today! Sweeping cuts right across the org, I've spent the last few years automating my role and my boss is in town. Should be no drama as long as I can find something else in a decent timeframe.

legend166

Unblock-US is $5 a month, there may be cheaper ways around it though. I know there's another DNS-faker-region-thingy provider for a slightly cheaper price (talking a buck here) but can't recall the name.

Still, $13 to have access to a fuckload of movies (forgot to ask, Fusebox... DTS where available?) and not needing a place to store them is a great idea. Seriously considering it, providing there's not YouTube-like lag getting it from the US.

Netflix offer a free one month trial so you can just do that.

Shaneus

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen the DTS flag on my amp light up when using Netflix.

In other news I'm 99% certain I'm getting made redundant today! Sweeping cuts right across the org, I've spent the last few years automating my role and my boss is in town. Should be no drama as long as I can find something else in a decent timeframe.
Fuuuuuuck, that's shit to hear, dude. In the very least, I'm sure you're getting a fairly healthy package?

Can I ask what business you work for, or at least in what field the business is in (if it's not too specific)?

Netflix offer a free one month trial so you can just do that.
Perfect idea. Next step is to decide what to use it on. It's ridiculous just how many platforms I can use it on if I wanted. I know the 360 and WDTV Live support it, not sure of PS3. Hoping that the iPad 3 is up to snuff for decoding without being jumpy as well. Are there any specific regions that are cheaper than others?

Fredescu

You're in an IT related thing right?

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, I look after the Australian network of a French company. I'll miss it because it's really cruisey when everything is going smoothly and they don't care what I do as long as the systems stay up and my work gets done.

I was actually thinking of going a blacklist route
Yeaaa. That script might be a little too strong.
Because I apparently care, I updated the script to grey out or highlight bad and good threads, instead of simply hiding them.

It has a bunch of "good" words, and a bunch of "bad" words, and does basic scoring (e.g. raising score if it has good keywords, lowering when it finds bad) and changes the colouring accordingly. It does look a little gaudy, but what are you gonna do.

For anyone who wants to use it, you'll probably have to change the keywords in each list to suit your own needs -- they're at the top of the script so should be obvious to most.

Stackboy

This is all you need to know about Netflix:

It's approximately $7.80 a month. Any qualms about not getting 1080p or a lack of new release films/current TV seasons need to be filtered through the fact that for what most video stores will charge you for a new release rental, you get unlimited access to a ridiculous amount of quality content.

I don't understand paying $7.80 a month for a service which is still illegal to use in Australia. I know it's kind of proving a point and I will likely cancel my cable when Netflix is finally in Australia. But until then, I don't understand why you would do it.

Danoss

I don't understand paying $7.80 a month for a service which is still illegal to use in Australia. I know it's kind of proving a point and I will likely cancel my cable when Netflix is finally in Australia. But until then, I don't understand why you would do it.

I dunno, think about why you'd likely cancel your cable when Netflix is finally in Australia and you'll have your answer.

I recall one of your last posts calling people 'entitled' and if they want content, they should pay for it. Now you don't understand why people are paying for it. That's something I don't understand.

Omikron

Because I apparently care, I updated the script to grey out or highlight bad and good threads, instead of simply hiding them.

It has a bunch of "good" words, and a bunch of "bad" words, and does basic scoring (e.g. raising score if it has good keywords, lowering when it finds bad) and changes the colouring accordingly. It does look a little gaudy, but what are you gonna do.

For anyone who wants to use it, you'll probably have to change the keywords in each list to suit your own needs -- they're at the top of the script so should be obvious to most.

THis is pretty great. (y)

Fredescu

I don't understand paying $7.80 a month for a service which is still illegal to use in Australia.

I think parallel import laws say it isn't. Otherwise playing games bought from Ozgameshop is illegal. Also, modding your console to remove region restrictions is legal here. Ultimately, until it gets tested at court, it's impossible to know what the correct interpretation of the law would be. Given the history though, if push came to shove I'd say it's more likely to be found legal.

is there some tech way to get flight details but more importantly- flight delays- from Qantas? I have an airport pickup at Brisbane tomorrow and I'd like some way of knowing how long I'll be circling the carpark while my wife's plane is circling.

I found an RSS on the brisbane airport site but it merely has the status "scheduled" or "rescheduled"

Stackboy

I dunno, think about why you'd likely cancel your cable when Netflix is finally in Australia and you'll have your answer.

I recall one of your last posts calling people 'entitled' and if they want content, they should pay for it. Now you don't understand why people are paying for it. That's something I don't understand.

Yeah but if getting Netflix in Australia is illegal, what's the difference between that and acquiring it through digital avenues that don't cost anything?

Danoss

Yeah but if getting Netflix in Australia is illegal, what's the difference between that and acquiring it through digital avenues that don't cost anything?

Like everyone has said, it's not illegal. The content is not licensed for distribution in Australia by Netflix. I'm astounded you're comparing this to pirating the content. Is importing DVDs from the US illegal too? It's not really that different.

Shaneus

It's not working on mine :/ Haven't gone through all my plugins yet, but I can't see anything obvious that might be interfering. Have disabled some theming plugin, next stop is AutoPager.

It's not working on mine :/ Haven't gone through all my plugins yet, but I can't see anything obvious that might be interfering. Have disabled some theming plugin, next stop is AutoPager.
I didn't do a heck of a lot of testing. It works for me on Chrome and that was about the extent of my testing. You're on Firefox, right? Perhaps it doesn't support some of the JavaScript functions I was using? They're all pretty common from what I remember. Does Firefox put user script errors in the console? On Chrome you can see if any scripts have failed...

Edit: From a quick glance, it looks like .setAttribute() may not work in Firefox...

Edit 2: Nope. Should now work in Firefox as well as Chrome.

Edit 3: OK I'm going to leave it alone for now. It lists the matched keywords in the thread DIV along with the score in case you want to see what words were matched for tweaking purposes. Definitely working (for me) on Chrome and Firefox.

senahorse

How much HD content is available on Netflix and how is the streaming in Australia, typically the buffering? Or do you download the programs/movies you want to watch and they have an expiry?

legend166

Well there's the very important distinction that in one case I'm paying for something and as such the content providers are being compensated, and in the other case that's not happening at all.

Fusebox

Banned
Welp, I just got made redundant.

They asked if I needed to pack stuff up or copy anything off my PC, I told them it was already done and to show me the money. A quick handshake later and I'm on my way into town for lunch with the missus. If I can get into a new role quick it'll all be gravy.

legend166

How much HD content is available on Netflix and how is the streaming in Australia, typically the buffering? Or do you download the programs/movies you want to watch and they have an expiry?

It's streaming. Works pretty well for me. I've got an 11mbps connection and am using WiFi to my PS3, and I usually get the 720p streams when available.

Like I said, just sign up for the free trial and you can see it all for yourself.

Stackboy

Like everyone has said, it's not illegal. The content is not licensed for distribution in Australia by Netflix. I'm astounded you're comparing this to pirating the content. Is importing DVDs from the US illegal too? It's not really that different.

Well there's the very important distinction that in one case I'm paying for something and as such the content providers are being compensated, and in the other case that's not happening at all.

Yeeeeeeeep, my bad.

legend166

Sounds like redundancy won't work out too bad for you Fuse, so that's good.

Speaking of jobs, looks like I've got an interview. Two issues - the place of work would be a 45km drive from my house, and the work itself, whilst still IT, is in a completely different area to what I thought I would like to go in. Guess I'll go to the interview and see what happens.

Danoss

Hope you've been working there for a while, then you're in for a nice chunk of change. Someone I know was made redundant recently and walked away with $50k. When I was made redundant from one of my jobs many years ago, I hadn't even been there a year and got about $6,500.

Clipper

is there some tech way to get flight details but more importantly- flight delays- from Qantas? I have an airport pickup at Brisbane tomorrow and I'd like some way of knowing how long I'll be circling the carpark while my wife's plane is circling.

I found an RSS on the brisbane airport site but it merely has the status "scheduled" or "rescheduled"

Qantas has real time flight status info on their website.

Shaneus

I didn't do a heck of a lot of testing. It works for me on Chrome and that was about the extent of my testing. You're on Firefox, right? Perhaps it doesn't support some of the JavaScript functions I was using? They're all pretty common from what I remember. Does Firefox put user script errors in the console? On Chrome you can see if any scripts have failed...

Edit: From a quick glance, it looks like .setAttribute() may not work in Firefox...

Edit 2: Nope. Should now work in Firefox as well as Chrome.

Edit 3: OK I'm going to leave it alone for now. It lists the matched keywords in the thread DIV along with the score in case you want to see what words were matched for tweaking purposes. Definitely working (for me) on Chrome and Firefox.
It's beautiful :')

They asked if I needed to pack stuff up or copy anything off my PC, I told them it was already done and to show me the money. A quick handshake later and I'm on my way into town for lunch with the missus. If I can get into a new role quick it'll all be gravy.
Boo-urns. Hopefully they'll still be happy to give you a referral etc.

Just how many people got the chop? From the way you've spoken, it sounds quite significant.

Fusebox

Banned
Thx guys, I had been there for about 3 years so got just a bit over 20k but with a kid and mortgage it isn't the big excuse to party that it would have been a few years back. Still, more time to post on GAF now and that something... I guess. :p

Well glad to hear your taking it well.

Not if you're not a passenger, unfortunately
"Flight updates coming soon
If you’re not flying but want to stay informed with departure and arrival notifications, you'll soon be able to subscribe to ‘Flight Updates’ via email or mobile. Check back for more details."
Tried flightstats.com?

Not sure how 'real time' it is, but this random flight I chose says it's been delayed, so I guess there's some updated info there...

And Fusebox, that sucks. Did you even get any warning or inkling it was a possibility? Having your whole world turned around in one morning doesn't seem like a good way for somewhere to do business, if they care about their staff.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HTC One ordered through work, Of course it's more expensive than other places. Silly me.

Will post bad pics from an iPhone 4 if it arrives.

I might grab a kogan sim as well and use that, Uses the telstra network and looks to be good enough for me.

Time will tell.

Target seem to be running out their PS3's instore.
12GB model with Skylanders bundle for $150
320GB model is $190

Thx guys, I had been there for about 3 years so got just a bit over 20k but with a kid and mortgage it isn't the big excuse to party that it would have been a few years back. Still, more time to post on GAF now and that something... I guess. :p

Ah sorry dude! Hope you can get into a new job sooner rather than later. Nice helpful payout at least! I had never heard of getting paid out.

Stackboy

Hope you quickly land on your feet man.

Omikron

BIbIyIbCQAAXfTu.jpg:large

Clipper

Not if you're not a passenger, unfortunately
"Flight updates coming soon
If you’re not flying but want to stay informed with departure and arrival notifications, you'll soon be able to subscribe to ‘Flight Updates’ via email or mobile. Check back for more details."
That's for the SMS updates. You can use the form on that site to check the status of all flights, and all you need is the Internet.

For example, QF525, a flight from Brisbane to Sydney that was due to land at 2PM is currently estimated to land 19 minutes late as they took off 35 minutes late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom